F-Pace (X761) / C-X17 2016 - Onwards

2017 Jaguar F-Pace 20D Reliability/Infotainment System Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2021, 05:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 Jaguar F-Pace 20D Reliability/Infotainment System Upgrade

Disclaimer: I am sorry if this has been asked a million times or if I am accidentally carrying forward the stigma of jags being unreliable.

I am currently in the market for a luxury SUV around the $40000CAD range. Although I am also considering the 2017 BMW X5 Diesel (approx. 95000km), 2016 Range Rover Sport TD6 HSE (approx. 72000 km), or the 2020 Acura RDX A-Spec (approx. 40000km), my heart is pretty set on getting a 2017 Jaguar F-Pace 20d (approx. 65000km). To be honest, I am ready to pull the trigger on the 20d, but the reliability stigma is kind of scaring me. I was wondering how the reliability of this car is and what issues you guys have encountered. From reading online, I have only common issues I have come across are the infotainment system failing and issues with auto start/stop. Are these issues as common as people make it out to be? Other than that, how is the mechanical/overall reliability? I plan to keep this car for at least 10 years so thats why I want to do my due diligence.

Also, does anyone have experience installing a new infotainment system? Considering the system is a bit dated/will definitely be dated in a couple years, I figured if it does throw its hands up at me, I could always swap it for an aftermarket one. This way, I wouldn't have to pay an arm and a leg to get it fixed/replaced by the dealer and would have something with more modern features. Does anyone have any experience with this? I found one online that seemed appealing that I inked below, but I couldn't find much customer reviews on it.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000350857340.html

Finally, I would like to thank you guys in advanced. I am really excited to get a F-Pace (so bloody gorgeous, I can't stop staring at pictures online and watching YouTube videos on it) and join the Jaguar community. Any and all help and advice will be appreciated.

Old 08-13-2021, 06:07 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2017 F-Pace 3.0S

I dont think you will be disappointed with the Jag F-Pace. I bought a 2017 3.0 Supercharged here in Kiwiland in 2019, had only done 140kms (not a typo) as previous owner let it sit in a garage!!!! Weird, but after a new battery, new tyres (flatspotted) and a full service I am reasonably happy with the vehicle. Just turned 20,000kms now and still one free service to go on original 5 year warranty (mechanical warranty 3 years, so it just ran out). Issues? Not too many really. It goes well, especially in Dynamic mode, am getting around 9.6L per 100kms on hilly Central Otago roads, cruises well at around 120-130km/hr providing you keep a sharp eye out for the law. Auto stop/start can be a pain but it is just a button push. The Infotainment system is a bit slow on Bluetooth pickup and it is no longer possible to use InControl to update the maps which is a pain - last online update was back in 2019. If I have an issue it is the dipstick - or lack of. I prefer to see an oil level instead of a digital readout. Also the rear screen wiper washer has gone on the blink - a common fault by the sound of it as it either blows a connector at the washer bottle pump, or another under the driver side (right hand here) door sill which can affect electrics there. To get at the pump the front wheel has to come off and the wheel arch covers have to be removed - not a 5 minute job. I did get a clear-coat kit fitted to the bonnet, side & rear sills to avoid stone chips (mainly from winter road gritting here). Otherwise I am pretty happy with the F-Pace, wife enjoys riding in & driving it. Easy to far exceed the speed limit though. That said I am really liking what I see from Cupra - the Formenter & hoping we will get the VZ5 here in kiwiland sometime soon - no harm in dreaming. Good luck with your search.

Old 08-19-2021, 09:51 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by coolcookiez
Disclaimer: I am sorry if this has been asked a million times or if I am accidentally carrying forward the stigma of jags being unreliable.

I am currently in the market for a luxury SUV around the $40000CAD range. Although I am also considering the 2017 BMW X5 Diesel (approx. 95000km), 2016 Range Rover Sport TD6 HSE (approx. 72000 km), or the 2020 Acura RDX A-Spec (approx. 40000km), my heart is pretty set on getting a 2017 Jaguar F-Pace 20d (approx. 65000km). To be honest, I am ready to pull the trigger on the 20d, but the reliability stigma is kind of scaring me. I was wondering how the reliability of this car is and what issues you guys have encountered. From reading online, I have only common issues I have come across are the infotainment system failing and issues with auto start/stop. Are these issues as common as people make it out to be? Other than that, how is the mechanical/overall reliability? I plan to keep this car for at least 10 years so thats why I want to do my due diligence.

Also, does anyone have experience installing a new infotainment system? Considering the system is a bit dated/will definitely be dated in a couple years, I figured if it does throw its hands up at me, I could always swap it for an aftermarket one. This way, I wouldn't have to pay an arm and a leg to get it fixed/replaced by the dealer and would have something with more modern features. Does anyone have any experience with this? I found one online that seemed appealing that I inked below, but I couldn't find much customer reviews on it.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000350857340.html

Finally, I would like to thank you guys in advanced. I am really excited to get a F-Pace (so bloody gorgeous, I can't stop staring at pictures online and watching YouTube videos on it) and join the Jaguar community. Any and all help and advice will be appreciated.

buy the best of the best max time & miles/KMs extended warrantee you can!!! ... you will use every penny of it and get your money back 10X over....

congrats & good luck

Old 09-02-2021, 02:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cannot recommend

I own a 2017 jaguar fpace 20d
Approx 154,000 km

For the first 3 years. I loved my car
for the last 5 months the car has been nothing but problems and is literally a disaster
engine oil leaks
failed def fluid nozzle leasing to new scr
as of yesterday. No power and black smoke coming out of the exhaust
which i am now told
failed pcv valve
seized turbo no oil getting to it
replace intercooler
this latest batch is over 4000 in repairs
the scr repairs was over 5000 in repairs

i did purchase the extended warranty to 160000km
purchased from the dealer when i bought my brand new car. Not knowing it was 3rd party
everything is a battle with them
all sensors are excluded
all exhaust system is excluded
and now they want to deny coverage for the turbo and intercooler because they want to blame everything on the pcv which is not covered

of course. They don’t cover dealer rate nor diagnostic and they have a deductible
and you pay for repairs first and them submit to them and hope they will cover something

so no. I would have to say. But something else
anything else

Old 09-02-2021, 04:25 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhsaman
I own a 2017 jaguar fpace 20d
Approx 154,000 km

For the first 3 years. I loved my car
for the last 5 months the car has been nothing but problems and is literally a disaster
engine oil leaks
failed def fluid nozzle leasing to new scr
as of yesterday. No power and black smoke coming out of the exhaust
which i am now told
failed pcv valve
seized turbo no oil getting to it
replace intercooler
this latest batch is over 4000 in repairs
the scr repairs was over 5000 in repairs

i did purchase the extended warranty to 160000km
purchased from the dealer when i bought my brand new car. Not knowing it was 3rd party
everything is a battle with them
all sensors are excluded
all exhaust system is excluded
and now they want to deny coverage for the turbo and intercooler because they want to blame everything on the pcv which is not covered

of course. They don’t cover dealer rate nor diagnostic and they have a deductible
and you pay for repairs first and them submit to them and hope they will cover something

so no. I would have to say. But something else
anything else

3rd party warranties are always tricky and you have to make sure it's a " factory extension " not just a " extended vehicle warranty " .. huge difference in the 2 polices . You should also be within the emissions factory warranty , I'd challenge that if I were you about the PCV valve that is part of the emission systems. We here in the states have Zurich , easy care , continental factory warranty extensions. Mine I warrantee to 155K or 5yrs because I pile on the miles . Even during the pandemic I did 71K miles , year before I did 91K miles. So my rule is 4yrs or 250K unless I really like the vehicle then I've pushed it to 350K miles.

I get there are parts shortages worldwide, but factories are back up and running since March , people want to work, factories should be pushing for 24/7 production . Right now I was told JLRUK is factor line is only working 8-5 . They should be working at least (2) 8hr shifts to catch up to demand and the orders. I have reps in the UK , I'm going to ask them when they swing buy Surrey and Coventry to ask around and see how many shifts they are running. I know my company processes JLRUK's clothing and merchandise purchases so they might know something .

I hope things get better for you ! best wishes and good luck