F-Pace (X761) / C-X17 2016 - Onwards

Debate ordered F-Pace 2016 or keep XJL 2014

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2016, 11:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts
Default Debate ordered F-Pace 2016 or keep XJL 2014

Hi all
I have an F-Pace on order. After not driving for several weeks, i got into the XJL and have 2nd thoughts. The car drives very well, and i thought...."am i making the right move to purchase the F-Pace"?

Would love ot hear point/counterpoint on this topic as ultimately it is a personal choice, I know....., but factual point counterpoint will help me conclude on the best option.

Thanks all, and look forward to your thoughts?

Old 06-11-2016, 05:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 564 Likes on 383 Posts

Hey Joe - You're asking a biased crowd, since most of us have a F-Pace on order (myself included). However, I'm also a believer into hanging onto cars a while - our F-Pace will be replacing an '07 RX350. My F-Type also replaced an '07. I'd say, if your having some second thoughts, what's the harm in holding off a bit? The depreciation on the XJL over the next few months will be less than a new F-Pace. Prices and quality on the new model will only improve, and there's new competition coming down the pipe, including the redesigned Audi Q5. Logic says the right time to buy a new car is: Never. It's the heart that drives us to the showroom - and it sounds like yours hasn't gotten over your last relationship. (Meanwhile, you're welcome to drop by for a drive and a cold one anytime.)

The following users liked this post:
slojotaa (06-12-2016)
Old 06-11-2016, 07:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by slojotaa
Hi all
I have an F-Pace on order. After not driving for several weeks, i got into the XJL and have 2nd thoughts. The car drives very well, and i thought...."am i making the right move to purchase the F-Pace"?

Would love ot hear point/counterpoint on this topic as ultimately it is a personal choice, I know....., but factual point counterpoint will help me conclude on the best option.

Thanks all, and look forward to your thoughts?
Drive both, back to back, then decide from there on which one you prefer to drive / be in. They will no doubt be rather different in character.

All this vrs. the notion of a new car (Fpace) that will be good for a number of years vrs. one that is a bit older, will be around not as long (XJL) and will likely see a restyled version out in a year.
Lawrence.

slojotaa (06-12-2016)
Old 06-14-2016, 01:00 PM
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Stick with the XJL. I was very disaapointed at the first F Pace I saw (AND I REALLY WANTED TO LIKE IT) but it didn't stand out at all from 3-5 other look a likes on the market IMHO. You know an XJ when you see one and I owned 2 of them. Different cat. and an XJ will ALWAYS be more exclusive!

Old 06-22-2016, 03:30 PM
Received 55 Likes on 31 Posts

I see you asked the same question in the XJ forum, and here was my answer:

"KEEP IT!!! XJ is only 'real Jag' left in my view. I'm on my 3rd leased XF Portfolio. The new crop of Jag models (XE, XF, F-P) have rubbish interiors. I drove both the F-P-S and XF-S, and really wanted to like at least one of them. Not impressed - everywhere you look interior is full of hard plastic, like Honda was 25 years ago, and very bland / cheap interior on top of that - big let down and downgrade from my car (while new XF MSRP went way up in comparison to my 2014...). My lease is up next year, and will sadly walk away from Jag, unless i go with XJ, which is a large car I don't really need."

This from XF owner point of view. Coming from the XJ would be much more of a downer.

Last edited by yidal8; 06-22-2016 at 03:35 PM.
Old 07-11-2016, 02:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 205 Likes on 188 Posts

i would keep the XJ

Old 07-12-2016, 08:02 AM
Received 55 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by carzaddict
i would keep the XJ
++, or even better-go for a new 2016 XJ (much upgraded infotainment comes standard and of course the free scheduled maintenance for 5 years)

Old 07-13-2016, 07:52 PM
Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

I just do the switch from XJL 2014 to F Pace S. 2 different animals, love the look and comfort of the XJL, but need more flexibility. Need to charge the skis and the bike. If the XJL would have the folding back seats, I would have keep it probably. But, hey, what a more sporty ride in the F Pace.
Guy

slojotaa (07-14-2016)
Old 07-18-2016, 01:29 PM
Veteran Member
Default Update....just traded and now have the F-Pace

After many months of back and forth, I pulled the plug and traded my XJL and had the F-Pace delivered today. I am happy with the change, and yes, two different vehicles exactly.

I will never forget this dealer, but not in a good way. They ripped me off for $3K on the trade, and to this very second would not address how unhappy I am not feeling so great about the outcome financially.

Some would say why did you do it? Fair question, but I would have lost the credits, which BTW were offset by the stealing of $3K from my original quote in the beginning.

With all of this said, I am happy with the new car, won't let the above make me soured on Jaguar, but let the buyer(s) beware. These dealers if you don't watch them closely are not on the up and up, and have zero guilt in saying "Ooooops" out of our wallets as consumers.

Great vehicle this Jaguar F-Pace "S", and happy I made the change! What a car. Will always miss my XJL, but two different experiences both awesome!!!

Old 07-22-2016, 10:53 AM
Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by slojotaa
After many months of back and forth, I pulled the plug and traded my XJL and had the F-Pace delivered today. I am happy with the change, and yes, two different vehicles exactly.

I will never forget this dealer, but not in a good way. They ripped me off for $3K on the trade, and to this very second would not address how unhappy I am not feeling so great about the outcome financially.

Some would say why did you do it? Fair question, but I would have lost the credits, which BTW were offset by the stealing of $3K from my original quote in the beginning.

With all of this said, I am happy with the new car, won't let the above make me soured on Jaguar, but let the buyer(s) beware. These dealers if you don't watch them closely are not on the up and up, and have zero guilt in saying "Ooooops" out of our wallets as consumers.

Great vehicle this Jaguar F-Pace "S", and happy I made the change! What a car. Will always miss my XJL, but two different experiences both awesome!!!

Congrats mate, well done. We will miss you on the XJ forum, but hope you enjoy your F-Pace.

PS: You need to update your sig

slojotaa (07-23-2016)
Old 07-24-2016, 08:05 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by LiquidIce
Congrats mate, well done. We will miss you on the XJ forum, but hope you enjoy your F-Pace.

PS: You need to update your sig
Thanks for the reminder, and sig updated LOL! Now I am "too legit to quit"! :-)