F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'15 R traction issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 10:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '15 R traction issues

So I have had my R for a few months now and I am continually amazed at how little rear end traction this thing has. Rear wheels light up in 1st and 2nd with less than a quarter throttle, will easily break loose in 3rd, and it has spun up in 4th on one occassion on a cold day and cold tires. I love slinging the rear end around as much as anyone but I feel like this thing just can't put the power down. The car had 11k miles on it when I bought it and I assume they are on the OEM pirellis. There is plenty of tread left in the tires but I wonder if they had too many heat cycles and are shot. How big of a difference will the Michelins make w/ a 4-wheel alignment? Does everyone else have this issue?

Thanks!

Old 11-18-2017, 10:48 AM
Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts

upgrading the tires to pss or the new ps4s will make a huge difference. you will still need to be careful in colder weather until you can get some heat in those tires. if you're driving around during the winter months, you should get a dedicated set of winter tires.

Old 11-18-2017, 11:07 AM
Received 64 Likes on 53 Posts

Related to the R tires, you might check your air pressure. I just happened to check mine and found 27 psi, where the recommendations are 37 psi.

I have a request for advice from the forum. My 16 R AWD has 6k miles, about the time I would normally rotate and balance. However with the differing width sizes front vs rear, the only rotation seems side to side. Is that what others have decided? Also, I thought these OEM tires were directional, which would defeat that rotation, correct?
Thanks!
Doc

Old 11-18-2017, 11:56 AM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

The Pirellis are truly awful. After 3 years of driving around on them switching to MPS4’s and having an alignment done was a revelation - totally transforms the level of grip and traction

Old 11-18-2017, 02:12 PM
Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by ek993
The Pirellis are truly awful. After 3 years of driving around on them switching to MPS4’s and having an alignment done was a revelation - totally transforms the level of grip and traction
+1.. My story exactly...

Old 11-18-2017, 02:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by 16fnrbrg
I have a request for advice from the forum. My 16 R AWD has 6k miles, about the time I would normally rotate and balance. However with the differing width sizes front vs rear, the only rotation seems side to side. Is that what others have decided? Also, I thought these OEM tires were directional, which would defeat that rotation, correct?
Thanks!
Doc
If the Pirellis are directional, you can rotate side-to-size, but you will have to unmount the tires and flip them on the wheel, to keep them pointed forward. The Michelins have an outside/inside positioning, so they can be left on the wheel if you rotate to the other side. For the Michelins, there's no real point in swapping them, as the excessive wear is generally on the inside, regardless of side. Swapping may make more sense on the directional tires.

Old 11-18-2017, 07:07 PM
Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by 355rockit
+1.. My story exactly...
Guess I'll start doing burnouts on the pirellis to put them out of their misery.

A pair of Michelins on the back with pirelli's still on the front should be ok for the time being.

The following users liked this post:
Mbourne (11-19-2017)
Old 11-18-2017, 09:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 256 Posts

The p zeros are not directional, but they are asymmetric. Inside has to stay facing inside. I wouldn't bother rotating anyway. These tires have a short life and that's just the way it is.