F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 F-Types in the $60ks - poor people alert.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 07:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts
Wink 2015 F-Types in the $60ks - poor people alert.

Been a fan of the F-Type R and Challenger Hellcat, as well as the Audi R8 for a few months now.

Hellcats commanded high ADM (dealer markups) and resales prices for a long time, but now are available used (only talking like-new examples) in the mid to high $50k range. So a drop from $62k to $72k to $50k.

The R8 is all over the place - $75k to $150k depending on the age/mileage, dating back to 2009 (US). Hard to gauge case by case.

The Jaguars are no stranger to depreciation and seem to take the most brutal hit immediately - new $110k, two months later, $85k. There are now very nice examples of 2015 showing up at the $68k mark. $110 to $68k - I'd say that is a great value on what is still a very desirable and current model.

Now, finally there are 2015 F-Type R examples (<10k miles, exc cond, own owner) showing up at very attractive prices.

I know the title is deceiving because 'poor people' don't purchase $68k cars even used but it is sure nice to see us other working stiffs like me finally have a shot at a great car.

Depreciation - I thank and welcome you. You have been my enemy many times, but now you are my friend.

If that $68k R purchased pre-owned now is worth $50k in a year or two, so be it. (post warranty is a killer).

Old 10-18-2016, 08:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd say now is the time to buy, the worst part of depreciation is over.
Still, 68k might be cutting it close, I saw one on AutoTrader at that price point and that was a high mileage one (considering the age) - if you'd like to get in one now, you'd probably have to budget mid 70s still.

Now, I'm in Germany, but our prices are ROUGHLY equivalent to yours, though of course in €. The cheapest 2015 R right now sits at 69,999 here - and that's an accident damaged high mileage import from Italy. I bought my fully equipped, low mileage 2016 R 3 months ago at 75k and was very happy with that price. It was less than a year old at that point. Of course, that's a big hit in depreciation, which is also why I'd never buy a sports car new. Not just Jags, this goes for Porsches too (I had a 997 before). Depreciation in the first year is absolutely stunning. For me, as a more "budget-conscious" buyer on the younger end of the buyer's scale (don't have THAT much money to waste), it was the perfect time. Car is almost new, but already significantly cheaper. It's fully optioned anyway and the color I would have bought as well, so why get a new one?

Regarding warranty...I don't know about NA, but you can extend the warranty to up to 5 years here in Europe, which should appease any prospective used car buyers if you're looking to sell it on. Over here, the residual on a lease is 65k for a used one after 3 years. If you're buying a one year old car at 75k, that's a depreciation hit that is not too bad at all IMO. Of course, you'll always lose some money with these cars, goes without saying. My old 997 didn't depreciate. Bought at 35k, sold at 38k after 3 years of owership. 15k in maintenance though, so it evens out...

If you can, I'd get into a 2016, though that would be AWD in your case. We still get RWD on the R even for the 2016 MY. Though it's a little thing, I find the gauge display significantly prettier on the 2016 and the infotainment also looks different. I don't know if it's actually faster as I've never tried a 2015. Just judging from pics. Other details are rather minute, apart from the hydraulic to electric power steering switch.

Old 10-18-2016, 08:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

I will have to wait until they get into the $30s before I can start thinking about it.

The following users liked this post:
Burt Gummer (10-18-2016)
Old 10-18-2016, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
I will have to wait until they get into the $30s before I can start thinking about it.
They'll get there eventually, but IMO it's going to take a while. Depreciation is slowly going to fizzle out, as with any car. What's more - and specific to the F-Type - I think the used car prices now reflect more closely the price point the R should have been at to begin with. I think they're a tad too expensive from new - especially in the US, where you also have the C7 as a competitor. At this price point, the car will be more interesting to a greater number of people.

Old 10-18-2016, 09:27 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I know we are talking 2015s here, but I've seen this 2016s here in person in Austin. It's got 300 miles on it and is spotless. They started at 82000.and have been reducing the price monthly:

2016 Jaguar F-TYPE S at Apple Sport Imports in Austin, TX

Very sharp car.

Old 10-18-2016, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by James Tootle
I know we are talking 2015s here, but I've seen this 2016s here in person in Austin. It's got 300 miles on it and is spotless. They started at 82000.and have been reducing the price monthly:

2016 Jaguar F-TYPE S at Apple Sport Imports in Austin, TX

Very sharp car.
That's an S though, OP was talking about the R. I'm absolutely convinced you can get a regular 2016 S at that price point. As I said, that's pretty much what I paid for my 2016 R.

Old 10-18-2016, 09:48 PM
Veteran Member

S Models are easily found in the 50s-60s, Rs not so much but they are getting there. I have seen prime examples of Rs sell in the 60s. A lot of Rs get no takers in the 60s also.

I am also of the opinion that the R's price was/is out of line at $110k+ new. There are already SVRs pre-owned closing in on that price.

Hey if I had unlimited funds and wasn't a wage slave who cares - but I'm not - so I do.

Jaguar F Type R | eBay

Jaguar F Type R | eBay

Last edited by Burt Gummer; 10-18-2016 at 09:52 PM.
Old 10-18-2016, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Burt Gummer
S Models are easily found in the 50s-60s, Rs not so much but they are getting there. I have seen prime examples of Rs sell in the 60s. A lot of Rs get no takers in the 60s also.

I am also of the opinion that the R's price was/is out of line at $110k+ new. There are already SVRs pre-owned closing in on that price.

Hey if I had unlimited funds and wasn't a wage slave who cares - but I'm not - so I do.

Jaguar F Type R | eBay

Jaguar F Type R | eBay
You're always going to get much lower prices on eBay for obvious reasons. Very few people are inclined to buy a car like this on eBay or any car for that matter...even if they are able to check the car out in person. You'll also notice the reserve wasn't even met on the first one. That particular price was the lowest someone was willing to pay - and we don't even know if that guy even inspected the car. Not an indicator for actual pricing at all.

Old 10-18-2016, 11:00 PM
Veteran Member

Ebay has been great to me. Saved thousands on purchases. With cars they have a $50k guarantee of delivery as stated, etc. To each their own.

$68k or so F-Type Rs are popping up on several sites, not just Ebay. A friend of mine bought a 2015 R in perfect showroom shape, loaded, 5k miles, in Central Oregon for $65k.

Lots of white cars, not sure why. There will be great deals ahead I am sure. One model I fully expected to really tank was the XKR-S, but those have surprisingly held up well price wise.

The ones I've listed are dealers also and of course if one has cash or pre-approved funding to purchase from a private party that is where the real deals are made. I expect to see many mid-60k 2015 Rs and high-70k 2016 Rs before winter has passed.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...3696/overview/

Last edited by Burt Gummer; 10-18-2016 at 11:09 PM.
Old 10-18-2016, 11:09 PM

Ebay has been great to me. Saved thousands on purchases. With cars they have a $50k guarantee of delivery as stated, etc. To each their own.

$68k or so F-Type Rs are popping up on several sites, not just Ebay. A friend of mine bought a 2015 R in perfect showroom shape, loaded, 5k miles, in Central Oregon for $65k.

Lots of white cars, not sure why.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...3696/overview/
Good for you. I'd personally never consider it. I've had plenty of bad experiences with dealers in person, I wouldn't dream of opening that particular can of worms. I don't mind paying slightly more for a car that I can actually take a look at and then drive home myself. Buy a car sight unseen? Unthinkable. Fly halfway across the country and then ship it? Almost as bad.

I'm all in favor of being "cheap" - it's the only reason I am in the comfortable position of toying around with these cars at my age - but you've got to draw the line somewhere. A few grand extra are not that significant in the grand scheme of things and buying the absolute cheapest of anything in general is very rarely a good idea.

In any case, good luck with your search, but I wouldn't wait too long. I spent almost a year looking for my first 911 - in hindsight, that's time I should have spent driving instead. Last link you posted doesn't work BTW.

Old 10-18-2016, 11:13 PM
Veteran Member

I agree to disagree. Always been happy with the private party, pre-owned route. Owned several wonderful cars second hand and walked away without the financial burden of that first brutal depreciation hit.

The typical seller - "the wife says it has to go - I need four seats - having a baby, etc" Thank you to the wives out there.

But absolutely, I am a cheap SOB.

Old 10-18-2016, 11:16 PM

I agree to disagree. Always been happy with the private party, pre-owned route. Owned several wonderful cars second hand and walked away without the financial burden of that first brutal depreciation hit.

The typical seller - "the wife says it has to go - I need four seats - having a baby, etc" Thank you to the wives out there.

But absolutely, I am a cheap SOB.
We're not disagreeing at all - I wouldn't buy new either - and didn't. Nothing wrong with being cheap
Private party, absolutely - I was more referring to, as we talked about, buying a car on eBay and shipping it. That seems like madness to me. In many cases, I'd prefer buying private over buying from a dealer since you can often draw meaningful conclusions about how the car has been handled by meeting the previous owner.

Old 10-19-2016, 12:00 AM
Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Picked up my 2015 v8s fully loaded for 72000 with 2200 miles on the clock. So I agree lie to mid 70 for any v8 15

Old 10-19-2016, 03:48 AM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Pre-owned is definitely more attractive; allows you to test drive a car with enough mileage and know if it has any of the common problems you're trying to avoid.

Old 10-19-2016, 04:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Let's get back to that Hellcat. Who would pay $50k for any Dodge, even new? I don't care if it's got a Goliath engine.

Old 10-19-2016, 07:29 AM
Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

I'm gonna flip the game and start marking up the price of my 2014 V8S vert.

"premier year" "last of the V8 rwd's"

"will add 50lbs to your bench"

Mbourne (10-19-2016)
Old 10-19-2016, 07:46 AM
Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Philly Single

I like the sound of that lol

Old 10-19-2016, 08:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

All previous owners had lots of chest hair.

Will double your sex appeal with the 60+ male demographic.

Crooked teeth and a blue velvet suit are included with the purchase.

Comes with a resonator, as-new condition, never used.

Equipped with an automatic monocle-dropping chardonnay dispenser.

Last edited by SinF; 10-19-2016 at 08:24 AM.
Mbourne (10-19-2016)
Old 10-19-2016, 10:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
All previous owners had lots of chest hair.

Will double your sex appeal with the 60+ male demographic.

Crooked teeth and a blue velvet suit are included with the purchase.

Comes with a resonator, as-new condition, never used.

Equipped with an automatic monocle-dropping chardonnay dispenser.
lol

Old 10-19-2016, 05:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

Here Here!!