F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 Jaguar F type R Vs 2015 Porsche Targa 4s

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2016, 12:20 PM
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 2015 Jaguar F type R Vs 2015 Porsche Targa 4s

So all of these opinions are my own and have no insinuations of what to buy and Im not selling anything.

So I started the weekend with doing a comparison of these 2 cars because I wanted to see if I sill loved my Jag as when I bought it. This perspective is not based off of driving numbers at
the track but my emotional bond with each car and the future of driving experiences.

When jumping in the Porsche I quickly found out that the cornering on this car is insane and how smooth it was. I honestly felt like the car was driving itself. At first I was really impressed by this feeling but after driving a few days it felt like the car was very mundane to drive. The exhaust notes were ok but nothing to be totally impressed by. The power on this car was very smooth and managable. Even time I drove the car it felt like the same experience
over and over. Which in some cases people might enjoy this feeling. I feel like I could be a better
driver in this car if I was on the track

I jump into the Jaguar and I instantly notice everything is different your testosterone levels shoot through the roof. You notice you now have a beard! It does not corner like the porsche but I really don’t care because Im hauling *** and making a bunch of extremely beautiful noise and causing a scene as the car breaks loose at my command. At some point driving the car you find your self thinking “OH ****? as you just stomp on the pedal and get pulled back into the seat as you are intoxicated and under the influence of the exhaust notes.
This car is fast, loud and creates a scene when ever you decide to get jiggy with it. When I drive this car I want to go fast and be a little crazy. I do not get these feelings in the porsche.

It all boils down to what type of person you are and what type of driving experience you want to have if you drive these cars daily. For me I’m hands down tied to the Jaguar F type R but I have not driven a turbo yet so my option might change. So feel free to add your comments and experiences.

The following 3 users liked this post by santacruzmg:
DPelletier (07-03-2016), Schwabe (07-05-2016), SinF (07-15-2016)
Old 07-02-2016, 12:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts

Pretty much consistent with just about every single F vs 911 ever written.

Old 07-02-2016, 12:47 PM
Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts

I love the look of the Targa.

Old 07-02-2016, 01:43 PM

Also when you look at the backside of these cars they are done different. The jag really shines through as you put it side by side with other high end cars. The really hit it out of the park with design and performance . My fav thing on jag is how wide the car is and the long front . Still after owning for awhile the jag still floats my boat. It's going to take an amazing car for me to switch from the R!

Old 07-02-2016, 02:38 PM
Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts

The problem with this review is that the Porsche you are comparing the 911 to has an old school naturally aspirated engine which is useless for spirited street driving.

If you compare the Jag R to my car, the 911 Turbo S, there is no comparison. My car has tons of power at all RPMs, and it has the handling to match which the Jag did not. I was often on here complaining about my R Coupe. But I love the Porsche 911 Turbo S. The latter is a real sports car, the former is an XFR-S with a short wheel base and a sports car body (if you don't believe me compare the suspension parts).

Old 07-02-2016, 02:44 PM

Well I was basing this on price and what car I had excess to. The targa is more of a relevant compare then a turbo based on price. I could compare a Porsche gt to an r and yes it would blow doors on the jag r. So u got to compare apples to apples and price is the best way because someone could pick either. The gt and turbo are way over price of jag R

Originally Posted by StealthPilot
The problem with this review is that the Porsche you are comparing the 911 to has an old school naturally aspirated engine which is useless for spirited street driving.

If you compare the Jag R to my car, the 911 Turbo S, there is no comparison. My car has tons of power at all RPMs, and it has the handling to match which the Jag did not. I was often on here complaining about my R Coupe. But I love the Porsche 911 Turbo S. The latter is a real sports car, the former is an XFR-S with a short wheel base and a sports car body (if you don't believe me compare the suspension parts).

Old 07-02-2016, 03:13 PM
Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by santacruzmg
Well I was basing this on price and what car I had excess to. The targa is more of a relevant compare then a turbo based on price. I could compare a Porsche gt to an r and yes it would blow doors on the jag r. So u got to compare apples to apples and price is the best way because someone could pick either. The gt and turbo are way over price of jag R

I agree. A new 911 Turbo S is at least $80K more than a new R coupe, esp. now since the '16's are being discounted by at least $10K+. In my opinion, if you're spending close to $200K, I'd rather get a true exotic like a Lambo Huracan, McLaren 570s, or a used Ferrari 458. Porsches are everywhere.

The following users liked this post:
SinF (07-15-2016)
Old 07-02-2016, 03:30 PM

You hit it 100% on the head. If we were really being fair and going by price we would be comparing a Low end 911 and the Jag r would crush it.

Originally Posted by psb1013
I agree. A new 911 Turbo S is at least $80K more than a new R coupe, esp. now since the '16's are being discounted by at least $10K+. In my opinion, if you're spending close to $200K, I'd rather get a true exotic like a Lambo Huracan, McLaren 570s, or a used Ferrari 458. Porsches are everywhere.

Old 07-02-2016, 03:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 426 Likes on 306 Posts

For curiosity sake, did your Turbo S cost almost double what your R did? And I'm not saying you're wrong nor am I an offended F-TYPE owner. Just want to point out that an F-TYPE R is already out of most people's dream equation. A Turbo S might as well be a space shuttle.

Good for you that you can afford such things. I am envious, but not jealous. And if you do compare pricing, the comparison makes sense.

Old 07-02-2016, 04:19 PM

Ya I compare a jag r to a pangua hayabusa and yes the jag will lose. in the review I was comparing 2 cars that were close In price range. So people can decide what type of experience fits them when picking a new car.

Originally Posted by 2010 Kyanite XFR
For curiosity sake, did your Turbo S cost almost double what your R did? And I'm not saying you're wrong nor am I an offended F-TYPE owner. Just want to point out that an F-TYPE R is already out of most people's dream equation. A Turbo S might as well be a space shuttle.

Good for you that you can afford such things. I am envious, but not jealous. And if you do compare pricing, the comparison makes sense.

Old 07-02-2016, 04:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Along with all that you said in your review.. the Jaguar F kills the Porsche in the area of pure beauty.
Lawrence

Old 07-02-2016, 05:18 PM
Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts

XFR-S with a short wheel base and a sports car body (if you don't believe me compare the suspension parts).
Which I believe was based on a modified platform from the S-type. Which just shows what a great platform that was and is.

Old 07-03-2016, 11:40 AM
Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by santacruzmg
Ya I compare a jag r to a pangua hayabusa and yes the jag will lose. in the review I was comparing 2 cars that were close In price range. So people can decide what type of experience fits them when picking a new car.
Yeah but your comparison is equally invalid. Your Jag is new and your Targa was old. Plus your Jag is a coupe and your Targa is a heavy Over engineered targa.

If you compared your new Jag R Coupe to a new Porsche Carrera 4S Coupe with the new 6 cylinder turbo engine, I think you would fine the Porsche to be a better sports car.

The Jag is a better long distance cruiser with its compliant suspension and soft smooth ride, but it's no sports car.

On the other hand if you compare the Jag to a base Carrera 4 Coupe, then the Jag R will be very favorable.

However I think the Jag is not a good enough car for its price. If it was it wouldn't be leading cheaper than a BMW M4 and it wouldn't be depreciating 30% in its first year.

Last edited by StealthPilot; 07-03-2016 at 11:42 AM.
Old 07-03-2016, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 329 Likes on 256 Posts

Sure the Porsche is a better track car.....but the pricing of a new Porsche means you're comparing a base 911 vs. and F type R and the F type is nicer looking and offers much more at the same price point. A 911 Turbo? great car.....but apples to bananas on pricing; not even close.

I'm biased (as are all of us), but for what I was looking for (an upscale 2 seat, convertible sportscar for street duty and road trips), the F type is a true bargain compared to MB or Porsche....frankly I was shocked at the price differences.

Dave

The following users liked this post:
SinF (07-15-2016)
Old 07-03-2016, 11:56 AM

Not sure what you are talking about they are both 2015. It's a 2015 911 targa 4 w and a jag f type r 2015

Yeah but your comparison is equally invalid. Your Jag is new and your Targa was old. Plus your Jag is a coupe and your Targa is a heavy Over engineered targa.

If you compared your new Jag R Coupe to a new Porsche Carrera 4S Coupe with the new 6 cylinder turbo engine, I think you would fine the Porsche to be a better sports car.

The Jag is a better long distance cruiser with its compliant suspension and soft smooth ride, but it's no sports car.

On the other hand if you compare the Jag to a base Carrera 4 Coupe, then the Jag R will be very favorable.

However I think the Jag is not a good enough car for its price. If it was it wouldn't be leading cheaper than a BMW M4 and it wouldn't be depreciating 30% in its first year.

Old 07-03-2016, 11:57 AM

Not sure what you are talking about they are both 2015. It's a 2015 911 targa 4 s and a jag f type r 2015

Old 07-03-2016, 01:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 337 Likes on 212 Posts

It's not the latest 6 pot 911 turbo, but almost as new as the 2015 (2014) F-type R - and it's an awd 911 vs the rwd F-type R.

And the 911 is not that much faster on the track, and slower in straight line speed:

http://fastestlaps.com/comparisons/attibtkkhzsk

It's still a lot more expencive than the F-type, and (subjectively) not nearly as good looking (and not nearly as high fun factor) as the Jag

Am I biased?

Nahhh...

Last edited by Arne; 07-03-2016 at 01:17 PM.
Old 07-03-2016, 01:41 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Arne
It's not the latest 6 pot 911 turbo, but almost as new as the 2015 (2014) F-type R - and it's an awd 911 vs the rwd F-type R.

And the 911 is not that much faster on the track, and slower in straight line speed:

Porsche 911 Carrera 4S vs Jaguar F-Type R Coupe - FastestLaps.com

It's still a lot more expencive than the F-type, and (subjectively) not nearly as good looking (and not nearly as high fun factor) as the Jag

Am I biased?

Nahhh...
And here is the comparison with the 2015 Carerra 911 S, but unfortunately no lap times yet - just straight line speed:

Jaguar F-Type R Coupe vs Porsche 911 Carrera S - FastestLaps.com

Pretty similar results.

I am sure it will be a lot faster on the track, but what matters to me is how much more fun is it to drive on the road? And I am not so certain of that...

Old 07-15-2016, 03:29 AM
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

This is my 39th Porsche, It is a one of a kind (Porsche dealer calls it a kit car) chassis is made from titanium and magnesium body carbon fiber weight a bit over 2400lbs supercharged modified engine (around 625hp) no traction controls, spent almost two year in pieces. It is 11 years old and has 16K miles, can only be driven in perfect weather. Many of the parts in it are I offs I designed. I just bought a F Type r coupe two days ago, have not even picked it up yet. I have always found comparing front engine cars to mid engine cars to rear engine cars is hard, very different dynamics. I see the F type as more like a refined muscle car closer to my Corvette than the Porsche, but that is just one mans opinion, though I have been taking cars apart and making them better for me for the past 40+ years. I have learned a couple things along the way.

Old 07-15-2016, 04:06 AM
Veteran Member

Welcome here Carnut1!

Two very nice cars and the mods to that Porsche is very impressive

Looking forward to see some pics of your F-type when you receive it. And please post it as a New thread so it is easy to find

Any plans on modifying the F-type yet, or do you plan to keep it OEM? (maybe a bit early to tell...?)

Quick Reply: 2015 Jaguar F type R Vs 2015 Porsche Targa 4s