F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 Coupe R Exhaust Note Change - Randomly Worse??

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 09:37 AM
F16
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2016 Coupe R Exhaust Note Change - Randomly Worse??

I'm hoping somebody can give me some insights into an issue I'm having. I've read the threads on the O2 sensor and software updates but not sure this is the problem as I'll explain.

In December 2016 I had my local dealer install the EVO cold air intake and perform the K309 and K405 software updates. After the intake install and software update the cars exhaust sounded throatier and meaner. The air intake increased air flow with notable performance gains though I did not dyno but I could certainly tell the difference. Overall I was very happy with the mod.

Fast forward 6-7 months and one day I noticed that the sound was much more tame than it's ever been. Historically without sport mode activated the exhaust baffles would open up at 3000 RPM like clockwork. Now they only open up between 4200-4500 RPM and its somewhat muted. The car is barely audible until hitting the upper RPM range and again still muted. Performance seems to be noticeably less though it's still fast. Temperatures are in the high 80s-high 90's but not sure this would explain the sound/performance difference.

When I activate Sport it sounds better but still nowhere near what it historically has sounded like. I even referenced a video I made post intake install to confirm that it sounds like different car now and nothing else has been done. I only have 5k miles on it. The car spits and gurgles still but the snarl is not as deep or loud as it has been. There are no error lights. Given the issues developed 6 months after the software update I can correlate the two.

I'm scheduling a service appointment with the dealer and wanted to help guide them based on others experiences so that I don't hear: Sounds ok to me, found nothing wrong, due to the intake install, etc. Obviously I know the car and its not the same sound nor performance I've grown accustomed to and expect.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-26-2017, 09:53 AM
Received 175 Likes on 131 Posts

Some have had issues with the baffles and/or the vacuum pump that works the baffles. Perhaps your issue lies there.

The following users liked this post:
Jagged Wire (08-02-2017)
Old 07-30-2017, 10:11 AM
F16
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm taking the car to the dealer tomorrow and will update the post with my findings. Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 07-30-2017, 11:50 AM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

I just had my muffler replaced last week - valves were seized.

Old 07-30-2017, 08:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 187 Posts

I had a vaccum line that pulled loose, easy fix back to crazy!

The following users liked this post:
jaguny (07-31-2017)