Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 Lobster Run

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 04:18 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,067 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Today's pictures are up at the Dropbox link. We took back roads to avoid the major traffic incident on I-95. Lots of traffic, but still a nice drive. I'll do a final write up sometime this week.

Thanks, Jay, and the State of Maine, for your fine hospitality.

The following 2 users liked this post by DJS:
slojotaa (10-09-2017), Tman003 (10-10-2017)
Old 10-08-2017, 04:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,584 Likes on 856 Posts

Thank you Dave and your contributions to making the last 3 1/2 days what I hope was a memorable experience. If it's any consolation to those still driving, I'm still entertaining and playing host. Now to my brother, jazz legend and bassist Cecil McBee - who has played with many of the giants of jazz, including Miles Davis - and his wife. Perhaps one of these days I might even get some rest.

And what do Zee and McBee have in common, other than me and rhyming quite nicely (Zee like a son to me and McBee my brother?) Both produce amaZZZZZZ*ing sounds!

*My new favorite letter.

Last edited by RickyJay52; 10-08-2017 at 06:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
slojotaa (10-09-2017)
Old 10-08-2017, 06:14 PM
DJS
Veteran Member

Wrapped up the 2017 Lobster Run - what a terrific 3 1/2 days. Most will get home today, a few will get home tomorrow. We had stunning weather throughout.

A few pix from today...

Portland Head Light!

Lowered vs. not

The whole crew at Scarborough Jaguar

It finally rained after the final get together, when folks were heading home

The following 2 users liked this post by DJS:
Jim F (10-09-2017), slojotaa (10-09-2017)
Old 10-08-2017, 06:47 PM
Veteran Member

I gotta get back to McBee but no Lobster Run would be complete with the excellent photographic skills and keen eye of our DJS! Thank you Dave.

A reminder to you and to all "Runners" that my friend who came with his drone this morning will be sending me (and DJS since he's far more technically superior) the footage taken this morning in front of the court house while staging. (And I also think he took some footage before.)

Oh yeah...I didn't see a photo of one of the presents bestowed upon me [from my three amigos, DJS, MBourne, & our man MIA Unhingd]...my new favorite braking device (which I tried to attach to this e-mail but the damn thing - from my iPad - doesn't load properly.)

Last edited by RickyJay52; 10-08-2017 at 06:51 PM.
The following users liked this post:
slojotaa (10-09-2017)
Old 10-08-2017, 07:24 PM
DJS
Veteran Member

Indeed, I did miss that. If you've driven with Jay, then you know the one accessory he needs is a...

Drogue chute

(Not a real drogue chute - don't try this at home.)

Last edited by DJS; 10-08-2017 at 07:32 PM.
Old 10-08-2017, 08:34 PM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
Thank you Dave and your contributions to making the last 3 1/2 days what I hope was a memorable experience. If it's any consolation to those still driving, I'm still entertaining and playing host. Now to my brother, jazz legend and bassist Cecil McBee - who has played with many of the giants of jazz, including Miles Davis - and his wife. Perhaps one of these days I might even get some rest.

And what do Zee and McBee have in common, other than me and rhyming quite nicely (Zee like a son to me and McBee my brother?) Both produce amaZZZZZZ*ing sounds!

*My new favorite letter.
OMG seriously! I’m a Huge fan of Miles Davis and jazz! That is awesome.

Thanks again Jay for all. My wife and I are truly greatful for you and Liz for orchestrating such a magnificent and truly memorable experience! It was more than we could have imagined.
And thanks to the great dynamic company who also made it something special.
Most of us came together as complete strangers, drawn together by our enthusiasm and love of the F-Type. We parted with some great comraderie, friendship, and memories we shall cherish for years, seeing others oooing and aaahing at our army of vehicles passing towns while snapping pics (and some probably giving us a finger or two for holding up traffic or while they were waiting on line at Red’s Eats). Fingers crossed for next year!
Lara is suggesting a “Jaguar Lobster Run Wives Forum”. Except I’m pretty sure they won’t be discussing cars...

The following 2 users liked this post by Tman003:
Jim F (10-09-2017), slojotaa (10-09-2017)
Old 10-08-2017, 09:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Tman003
OMG seriously! IÂ’m a Huge fan of Miles Davis and jazz! That is awesome.

Thanks again Jay for all. My wife and I are truly greatful for you and Liz for orchestrating such a magnificent and truly memorable experience! It was more than we could have imagined.
Most of us came together as complete strangers, drawn together by our enthusiasm and love of the F-Type. We parted with some great comraderie, friendship, and memories we shall cherish for years, seeing others oooing and aaahing at our army of vehicles passing towns while snapping pics (and some probably giving us a finger or two for holding up traffic or while they were waiting on line at RedÂ’s Eats). Fingers crossed for next year!
Lara is suggesting a “Jaguar Lobster Run Wives Forum”. Except I’m pretty sure they won’t be discussing cars...

Alen,

Suggest that Lara start a Facebook group and send an invite to my wife. She will join.

Dave,

Thanks for all the photos. Great work. Also thanks for suggesting VT-9. That was a great road. Some tourists got a tremendous concerto from my tailpipes.

And to all,

My wife and I made it to Rochester for the night. Home tomorrow with hopefully a stop at Niagara Falls. I remarked several times that I missed my pack on the drive. Nothing like looking in the side view to see 10 other F Types in a line.

This weekend I learned something (having never been able to drive with other F Types before). The V8 and V6 both sound AMAZING. They are so different, but similarly beautiful sounds. I didn't know how loud my car was until driving behind some of the other V6s. We had a long straightaway on Saturday with Jay, followed by Dave, followed by me. Holy moly the sound. It was such that for a moment I couldn't hear Zee's exhaust. 😀

The following 2 users liked this post by Nati:
slojotaa (10-09-2017), Tman003 (10-10-2017)
Old 10-08-2017, 09:19 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Tman003
OMG seriously! I’m a Huge fan of Miles Davis and jazz! That is awesome.

Most of us came together as complete strangers, drawn together by our enthusiasm and love of the F-Type. We parted with some great comraderie, friendship, and memories we shall cherish for years, seeing others oooing and aaahing at our army of vehicles passing towns while snapping pics (and some probably giving us a finger or two for holding up traffic or while they were waiting on line at Red’s Eats). Fingers crossed for next year!

A pleasure having you and lovely Lara and your gorgeous blue car join us; or should that be gorgeous Lara and lovely blue car?

I too noticed just a very few who gave us the finger - figuratively or literally - and my people are taking care of that/them even as I write. They won't be bothering us in the future.

Speaking of which, in the words of Oscar Wilde - one of my favorite writers - "be careful what you wish for, you might get it." While I am considered a man's man, Liz will tell you I am her best girlfriend. In other words I take an interest in women's fashions, jewelry, handbags, shoes, etc. (no wisecracks please Dave...) and frequently buy stuff for Liz all the time. I have plenty of ideas and places to show and/or take women interested in that. Of course some of the husbands might not like that idea at all. $$$.

Who knows what the future will bring?

While I listen to all types of music, jazz remains the closest to my heart. Without name dropping, some of the top names in jazz are close personal friends of mine, including Cecil McBee who just left my house about an hour ago. While our wives spent time together chatting about this and that Cecil and I listened to a bunch of iconic jazz and in between songs regaled me with many stories of playing with Miles Davis, Keith Jarrett, etc. Pretty f&^king fabulous.

P.S. Please tell Lara that Scarlett sends her a lick.

Old 10-08-2017, 09:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by Nati
Alen,

Suggest that Lara start a Facebook group and send an invite to my wife. She will join.

Dave,

Thanks for all the photos. Great work. Also thanks for suggesting VT-9. That was a great road. Some tourists got a tremendous concerto from my tailpipes.

And to all,

My wife and I made it to Rochester for the night. Home tomorrow with hopefully a stop at Niagara Falls. I remarked several times that I missed my pack on the drive. Nothing like looking in the side view to see 10 other F Types in a line.

This weekend I learned something (having never been able to drive with other F Types before). The V8 and V6 both sound AMAZING. They are so different, but similarly beautiful sounds. I didn't know how loud my car was until driving behind some of the other V6s. We had a long straightaway on Saturday with Jay, followed by Dave, followed by me. Holy moly the sound. It was such that for a moment I couldn't hear Zee's exhaust. ��
Lord help us all if the wives get talking....did I type that out loud?

While we left separately and got separated on the return because of the New Hampshire road closure funny how four hours later on the Merrit Parkway (CT RT15) who do we run into by 3 of our fellow runners loudly announced by Z's exhaust! Just weird that the same general location we ran into ShaunPA would prove to be the same place we suddenly reunite with Z, ShaunPA and Tmann! What a great final "run" for about 30 miles.

I plan to write up more tomorrow but what a great time and dare I say it topped last year.

Old 10-08-2017, 11:20 PM
Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

So finally home and just wanted to give a huge thanks to Jay and the wonderful trip he coordinated for us. There wasn't a second were I wasn't smiling and having a blast. The best part was meeting all you wonderful considerate people. It is honestly an honor and privilege to consider each and everyone of you friends and family. Danielle and I couldn't have asked for better bunch of people to spend the last 5 days with. I haven't had a chance to soak in all the wonderful memories from this trip yet but that will take a while. On a personal note as you all know I lost my best friend a couple months ago and haven't really had any comrodery or friendship since his passing but on this trip alot of those gaps in my life were filled and it is all thanks to you guys and that by itself means more to me then you could ever imagine . Last but not least Jay I share to same sentiments about you that you have shared with me and hope to grow that bond and don't worry JAYZEE will be in full effect next year lol. To all the wives and gfs that joined us on the trip I can see where we all get our great qualities from. Like they say behind every great man there is a greater women and it couldn't hold any more truer then on this trip. You all are wonderful amazing women. Once again thank you so much from the bottom of our hearts to each everyone of you
love
Danielle and Zee

Old 10-09-2017, 06:20 AM
Veteran Member

I know you'll miss getting up early...

The following 2 users liked this post by RickyJay52:
Mbourne (10-09-2017), slojotaa (10-09-2017)
Old 10-09-2017, 06:36 AM
DJS
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
Speaking of which, in the words of Oscar Wilde - one of my favorite writers - "be careful what you wish for, you might get it."
On the other hand, Mae West said 'Too much of a good thing can be wonderful.' Sort of sums up this year's Lobster Run.

I'll post the drone video when I get it from Jay's valet friend, whose name escapes me.

Old 10-09-2017, 09:55 AM
Veteran Member

I wonder what she was referring to when she said that?

I am NOT saying I will do it, but how do either of these sound:

2018 Jaguar Strawberry Run. The harvest season is 3-4 short weeks from late June to late July.

2018 Jaguar Blueberry Run. The harvest season starts the last week in July through mid-September.

The wheels are turning...

Old 10-09-2017, 10:07 AM

I'm in all the way ....just remember I want my Jay hug when I come lol

Old 10-09-2017, 10:13 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Prophizee
I'm in all the way ....just remember I want my Jay hug when I come lol
You just might want to rephrase that sentence my young padawan.

Old 10-09-2017, 10:22 AM

I see your point obi wan Jay lol

Old 10-09-2017, 12:07 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Prophizee
I see your point obi wan Jay lol
...as long as I don't see yours.

Old 10-09-2017, 01:55 PM
Veteran Member
Default FYI

This morning begins the process of [my] properly thanking those people in Maine who helped make the 2017 Jaguar Lobster Run the resounding success it was. And while I had the honor and privilege of leading our group of merry men and women, it was OUR entire chemistry which left all of us with such warm and fuzzy feelings for each other. (And why I posted that splendid clip from Sherlock.). At least I think it did.

This morning I bought [and shipped] the Chief a wedding present - he's getting married in 60 days - of a stunning bowl from Edgecomb Pottery (a famous local pottery co-op consisting of a highly accomplished group of artists.). He's not going to be happy that I did that...but hey. I also included one of our Moleskine journals which has our logo on it as well as the logo of Scarborough Jaguar/Land Rover who foot the bill for them.

This afternoon I bought and delivered a beautiful bouquet of flowers to Portland Head Light and you-know-who. She was extremely appreciative but it was actually my absolute pleasure and the least I could do.

More to go...

Old 10-09-2017, 02:04 PM
Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

What an incredible weekend and even more incredible group to meet, get to know and spend time with. Many thanks to Jay for inviting me to participate...he is an incredible person, a great organizer, and a good friend who deserves unending praise for all the time and effort he spent putting this together.

And each of you....your great attitudes, friendliness, enthusiasm, and fun-loving personalities......outstanding memories that will last a long time for me! It was a blast driving with you, enjoying time together and meeting each and every one!

The following 4 users liked this post by MaineJagMike:
DJS (10-09-2017), Jim F (10-09-2017), RickyJay52 (10-09-2017), slojotaa (10-09-2017)
Old 10-09-2017, 02:48 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MaineJagMike
What an incredible weekend and even more incredible group to meet, get to know and spend time with. Many thanks to Jay for inviting me to participate...he is an incredible person, a great organizer, and a good friend who deserves unending praise for all the time and effort he spent putting this together.

And each of you....your great attitudes, friendliness, enthusiasm, and fun-loving personalities......outstanding memories that will last a long time for me! It was a blast driving with you, enjoying time together and meeting each and every one!
I KNOW I speak for EVERY LOBSTER RUNNER in saying: you're too kind (and I do not need or desire ANY accolades) and you're too generous BUT a welcome member of OUR growing family. I'm certain that others will continue to show their appreciation to Scarborough Jaguar/Land Rover AND you.

The only remaining question is: are you in for the 2018 Jaguar Blueberry Run?