F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 Corvette ZR1 vs 2018 GT500 vs F-type SVR

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 12:36 AM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default 2018 Corvette ZR1 vs 2018 GT500 vs F-type SVR

The muscle/sports car world keeps getting more interesting. Wondering what you guys think about the upcoming (swan song) C7 ZR1 and Mustang GT500 competing with the F-type R/SVR. Both will be cheaper than the SVR and both will have over 700 hp and should sound mighty good as well.

Old 09-08-2016, 01:05 AM
Received 38 Likes on 18 Posts

I have not heard anything new on the zr1 with the exception of a few spy shots.It will most likely be over 700 HP, and much lighter then the SVR. It will be cheaper(but not by much) and it will destroy the SVR on any track.

Heavy, paddle shifting ,AWD, and forced induction don't always make the best track car GT-R excluded. Im not sure what is the point of the SVR is, doesn't seem it would be good for more than a few laps before things start overheating ,and yet it seems a little overkill for the street

MC

Old 09-08-2016, 09:33 AM
Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Until they are released, no one can say much about the new ZR1, or GT500. I am lucky enough to own a ZR1, new Z06, and a 2016 Shelby GT350, along with my F Type R. In terms of performance, all three blow the Jag away, and all are more satisfying to drive in a "spirited" fashion. I could say that the Jag is a better grand tourer, except for the fact that any of the other three will hold twice as much luggage.
None of this diminishes my enjoyment of the Jag. It is a beautiful, elegant design, and brings a smile to my face every time I look at it. It's exclusivity is a plus as well - it just feels special. I often choose it over the others for leisurely Sunday drives, trips to a nice restaurant, or even daily commutes to work.
As has been said by many others, the Jag is just too heavy to compete as a serious sports car. Until it loses at least 600 lbs, this will continue to be the case.

The following 2 users liked this post by rocspo:
1MadCat (09-09-2016), NiteriderSC (09-09-2016)
Old 09-08-2016, 10:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 329 Likes on 256 Posts

If it's all about hp/$$$ and performance at the track then the current C7 Z06 already blows away the F type.......I'd suggest that if that's your criteria then the Jag is the wrong choice.

I appreciate both the GT500 and the 'vette though I wouldn't own the Mustang.....the 'vette tickles my fancy a bit more but I'm happier with my F type as I use it as a sports touring car rather than a track car.

2 cents,
Dave

Old 09-08-2016, 12:18 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

There's a thread on the F type VS corvette. If the ZR1 exterior styling is significantly different than the current model, then the thread doesn't really mean anything for your decision. An Italian appearing ZR1 might bring me back to the brand.

Old 09-08-2016, 02:16 PM
Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

Actually, I would prefer that it look like an F-Type. I am repulsed by all of the sharp angles and chiseled-look body parts. I would have looked harder at a C7 if it made me smile like the F-Type.

Larry

The following users liked this post:
IRRBrogue (09-12-2016)
Old 09-09-2016, 12:20 PM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

how will they compete? in terms of what? I only care about class. Jag is pure class, chevy and ford are not.

Old 09-09-2016, 03:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by rocspo
Until they are released, no one can say much about the new ZR1, or GT500. I am lucky enough to own a ZR1, new Z06, and a 2016 Shelby GT350, along with my F Type R. In terms of performance, all three blow the Jag away, and all are more satisfying to drive in a "spirited" fashion. I could say that the Jag is a better grand tourer, except for the fact that any of the other three will hold twice as much luggage.
None of this diminishes my enjoyment of the Jag. It is a beautiful, elegant design, and brings a smile to my face every time I look at it. It's exclusivity is a plus as well - it just feels special. I often choose it over the others for leisurely Sunday drives, trips to a nice restaurant, or even daily commutes to work.
As has been said by many others, the Jag is just too heavy to compete as a serious sports car. Until it loses at least 600 lbs, this will continue to be the case.
Just a basic question but what is it exactly that makes the F so damn heavy? It's a relatively small car with all aluminum build. It's not overly complex in terms of accessories and features. When looking t my F, theres nothing that shouts "heavy car" to me. Where is all this weight hiding that other similar sized cars successfully seem to be able to shed?

Old 09-09-2016, 04:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 337 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by polarisnavyxj
Just a basic question but what is it exactly that makes the F so damn heavy? It's a relatively small car with all aluminum build. It's not overly complex in terms of accessories and features. When looking t my F, theres nothing that shouts "heavy car" to me. Where is all this weight hiding that other similar sized cars successfully seem to be able to shed?
It's built on a vert chassis with added stiffnes due to the "extra" roof, it has comfortable heavy el. adjustable seats, it has a heavy rear hatch (el. operated as option), it is well noise insulated, it has a large engine and "oversized" drivetrain/suspension.

And the weight is no more than a similar powered Porsche 911 Turbo.

Old 09-09-2016, 08:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 256 Posts

Plus the bulletproofing...

Old 09-10-2016, 08:19 AM

The vette is made of carbon fiber.

But to the other poster's point, the F is well insulated for sound. Let me tell you...the vette sounded like I was driving a train. The sound difference alone was worth the trade to the Jag.

Old 09-10-2016, 11:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by IMMD
The vette is made of carbon fiber.
No, no it is not.

Old 09-10-2016, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member

carbon fiber?

I didn't think so either

Old 09-10-2016, 12:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 256 Posts

The corvette uses carbon fiber elements in the body but the chassis is metal.

Old 09-10-2016, 12:10 PM
Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

and the body is a type of plastic but not old-fashioned fiberglass.
Larry

Old 09-10-2016, 10:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

The hood and roof panels of the C7 are carbon fiber. All C7 models have an aluminum chassis. The rest of the panels are a very light sheet molded compound (SMC). Details below:

Carbon fiber, new aluminum structure lighten 2014 Corvette Stingray - SAE International

Old 09-11-2016, 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by Stohlen
No, no it is not.
I didn't mean to imply the chassis was made of CF. But the hood and roof are all CF and the z06 has various other body panels made of CF. The rest is a composite polymer.

Old 09-11-2016, 11:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 310 Posts

They are all great cars wtih a different purposes. The Corvette is a great track car, and having owned one on the past, I tracked it weekly.

Never owned a Mustang, but it's fit and finish isn't matching the Jags They all have a different character and personalities. Nicely engineered car but not on my radar. Just not my personality.

The Jag is a blast on the track, but man it gets expensive. The others have much cheaper and readily available parts. If I wanted a more serious track car I'd go with a used high mileage normally aspirated Vette, strip the interior, race prep the suspension brakes,(unless it has CC) and add some bits for safety. Then dial it in until the engine needs a refresh, you'll literally destroy street cars by seconds a lap.

It's amazing the difference in speed between race prepped street cars and even the fastest factory car. Keep in mind I've leaving out the track built exotics, I've seen 458 challenge cars GT3RSs show up and mop up the track and set consistent laps for 30 minutes.

I could keep up in the straights if I got a perfect corner exit, but that extra weight really gets you after a lap of trying to keep up with them. Even wtih big brakes, coil overs and over 600HP , two tons is a lot of car.

If Jag came out with an F-Type SVR-GT in the vein of the Porsche GT/GT3-RS we would be more competitive. Jag needs to get back into GT racing so that technology filters down to the street cars. SVO has some brilliant engineers and I would love to see them get track focused, but you have to first go racing.

Old 09-11-2016, 04:11 PM
Veteran Member

well said

Old 09-12-2016, 09:56 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,065 Likes on 1,370 Posts

Just a basic question but what is it exactly that makes the F so damn heavy?

Motorized seats, motorized mirrors, motorized steering wheel, motorized roof (for verts), extra vacuum pump for active exhaust (on older models), motorized dash vent, motorized spoiler...

The following users liked this post:
mikelanzetta (09-12-2016)

Quick Reply: 2018 Corvette ZR1 vs 2018 GT500 vs F-type SVR