F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody have experience with nano coatings for paint?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 10:36 AM
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Anybody have experience with nano coatings for paint?

I'm thinking about getting a nano coating for my paint, and was wondering what experiences you guys have had with them.

Advice, please!

Old 06-13-2017, 10:55 AM
Received 236 Likes on 173 Posts
Default My car has the Feyn labs self healing coating - worth considering

Previous owner had it applied. The self healing feature is a huge plus with an almost black car. Water is repelled off the car like nothing I've seen, dirt and bugs do not stick as hard to the finish. I haven't scratched it yet, but minor imperfections can be removed with a hair dryer or parking in the sun. Overall I'd recommend.

On the downside, its expensive, and prep is very important (full paint correction). Put it over a less than perfect finish and you'll seal in the imperfections.

Here is a video of the self healing feature:

Old 06-13-2017, 04:07 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you guys are talking about two different things. The NANO coatings are chemical coatings meant to make the surface more scratch resistant and easier to clean.

The paint protection film is what has the self healing properties when heat is applied.

People often combine both on their cars.

I have the film on the front, hood, doors, and rocker panels and a nano coating on the entire car (including on top of the film). I haven't had it long enough to really comment on things other than the coating does seem to make it easier to clean.

*edit: actually watched the video and I guess there are some nano coatings with the self healing properties as well.

Old 06-13-2017, 04:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 875 Posts

I tended to think that they were a bit of a scam (when dealer supplied), but our CarAdvice recently gave one a very strong review Pomponazzi Crystal Coating review

The following users liked this post:
Dremorg (06-13-2017)
Old 06-13-2017, 05:06 PM
Received 236 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by KC_Jay
I think you guys are talking about two different things. The NANO coatings are chemical coatings meant to make the surface more scratch resistant and easier to clean.

The paint protection film is what has the self healing properties when heat is applied.

People often combine both on their cars.

I have the film on the front, hood, doors, and rocker panels and a nano coating on the entire car (including on top of the film). I haven't had it long enough to really comment on things other than the coating does seem to make it easier to clean.

*edit: actually watched the video and I guess there are some nano coatings with the self healing properties as well.
I wasn't aware that the clear films had a self healing capability. Seems like they mainly offer paint protection. Like you, I had the front bumper covered in the film, but the rest of the car has the self healing nano coating and so far so good. As the second owner, I didn't see the car before application, but I can say the shine is ridiculous now, and water and dirt repellancy is impressive. But its only been 3-4 months, time will tell how long it lasts. No idea what the previous owner paid for the coating, I imagine it wasn't cheap.

Old 06-13-2017, 07:48 PM
Banned
Received 130 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Opticoat Plus .....

I had the Opticoat application done to my car. Very happy with the results. My car is 10 months old and looks like it just came from the showroom!

Old 06-13-2017, 09:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

I've got cQuartz (Cquartz? CQuartz?) on the car now. I'm not sure I like it better than the polymer sealant I used previously. That was the Sealant Formerly Known As Menzerna, now Jescar. Not sure why they rebranded, but I think it was a simple name change.

Old 06-14-2017, 04:26 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I had Opticoat done on a BMW a few years back. My wife took that car through a gas station car wash every week and after 4 years, the car still looks new. Minimal scratches or swirl marks.
Don't know about the new Opticoats now but I also had Modesta BC-4 applied to my Cayenne for about 2 years now and it's definitely not as good as the Opticoat.

Old 06-14-2017, 05:32 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I had cquartz on a stingray and it was awesome.

Old 06-14-2017, 08:30 PM
Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts

My local Ford dealer offers something they call "Permaplate." I had it put on a black Mustang and it looks very rich and like onyx. (I sold the Mustang to help pay for the Jag.) I've also had it done on a metallic orange '14 Fiesta and it looks as good as new.

Tomorrow, I am taking the Jag to a reputable car detailer for paint correction and "Opticoat." I think this is a good thing to have

Old 06-14-2017, 09:53 PM
Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Arctic Coating

Had this put on my SVR. Supposedly, the best of the best. Comes from Norway and only 2 places in the USA are certified to do it. Don't need to wash as often as I would otherwise....

I do wish I had done this first day I picked up the car to keep chips to a minimum

Old 06-15-2017, 07:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Two years with cQuartz, zero swirls or micro-scratches. The coating was laid down on the entire car before the wrap was applied to the entire front end and rockers. At the time, cQuartz was considered the best of the best. My wrap pro has informed me that the new Opticoat Pro is now the benchmark for protection and longevity. Fortunately the two materials are compatible and he can apply the Opticoat Pro over the cQuartz when it comes due without having to remove it first. My rocker wrap needs a refresh as the surfaces just in front of the rear wheels have a fairly heavy rash.

Last edited by Unhingd; 06-15-2017 at 08:00 AM.
Old 06-16-2017, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by FullChat
I'm thinking about getting a nano coating for my paint, and was wondering what experiences you guys have had with them.

Advice, please!
I think its similar but today 6/16/17 I had my car opticoated. They did paint correction and then applied the product. It will take a couple weeks to completely cure and I'm not to wash it.

I swear by it. The Fiesta next to the Jag has something the Ford applied called "Permaplate."

Attached Thumbnails Anybody have experience with nano coatings for paint?-opt1.jpg   Anybody have experience with nano coatings for paint?-opt2.jpg   Anybody have experience with nano coatings for paint?-opt3.jpg   Anybody have experience with nano coatings for paint?-opt4.jpg  
Old 06-18-2017, 08:23 AM
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Facebook Post

I am absolutely thrilled with the results.

Old 06-19-2017, 01:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 337 Likes on 212 Posts

Two years with GTechniqs Crystal Serum, and very happy with it. No swirls and no scratches, and the shine and water repelent is just as good as it was when it was done.

Old 06-24-2017, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Scott S
https://www.facebook.com/FinishingTo...4820317246858/

Dang, were those folks having an orgy with your car?

The following users liked this post:
Scott S (06-27-2017)
Old 06-27-2017, 02:20 PM
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I put a nano ceramic protective coat on both my 2011 XKR and 2009 BMW 535. I used the Black label brand I purchased from Auto Geek. They sell a whole kit. First step is swirl removal. Took me about 1.5 hours per car. Next is polish. Took about an hour. Last step is the spray on and wipe off ceramic coat.

The results are impressive. I did both cars about 8 months ago and they still look awesome!!!! Water just beads off the paint like nothing I have ever seen.

Total cost in materials was about $125US. Total time including wash was about 4 hours. It might not be as perfect as a professional detailer.....but it is 99% of the look for 1/10th the price.

I think it is a worthwhile investment if you do it yourself or have a pro do it.

PS nano ceramics will not protect paint from road or rock chips.

Old 06-27-2017, 04:42 PM
Received 172 Likes on 124 Posts

I have Brila coating on my car, overall very happy, it cleans more easily and doesn't require waxing, bird crap etc comes off easily and doesn't damage paint. Stays cleaner for a bit longer.

Old 06-27-2017, 04:55 PM
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

I just got mine done (2 hours ago ;-) with Opti-Coat Pro+. I went the professional route, and they charged $1200 and needed the car for 24 hours.

The way I look at it is that this is the way the car should look for many years. Any flaw that is there when the coating is applied will stay forever. My pro did the whole nine yards - acid wash, clay bar, paint correction, polish, primer polish, Opti-Coat Pro, Opti-Coat Pro+.

BTW, my pro said that I could get it wet immediately.

It looks GREAT!

Old 06-27-2017, 09:28 PM
Received 123 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott S
https://www.facebook.com/FinishingTo...4820317246858/

+1 Ceramic Pro is the way to go!