F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone tried to retrofit the 2018 headlights or taillights yet?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 05:02 AM
Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

Maybe I missed it but has anyone compared the LEDs to HIDs back to back? With my Continental the LEDs are significantly brighter than the HIDs that I’ve had in the loaner cars.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:46 PM
Received 134 Likes on 94 Posts

wanted to provide an update as the quest for a decent bulb is proving fruitless

the cbb ended up colour shifting and just became too blue, to point where blue light on a black road wasn't that great for visibility, and somewhat dangerous in wet

i put the osram cbi bulbs back in and just called it a day - the creamy yellow light on the road isn't the most attractive having gotten used to leds, but it's the safest and brightest option for us in these mercury free d3s

until i got an email from power bulbs introducing osrams latest nightbreaker laser bulbs - a refresh on their old nightbreaker series which was their most powerful bulb. these will no doubt be bordering on yellow side to get that claimed 'up to 200%' more output, but since we've seen osram can get a blue hue without mercury in the cbb, maybe they've sprinkled some cbb salts inside the capsules

so just when i thought i was out, they pulled me back in....ill let you know how they go

Old 08-07-2018, 10:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,114 Likes on 2,297 Posts

I haven't found the Osram CBI globes to be at all yellow, nice and bright white IMO.
But still keen to see how you go with the new nightbreakers and what you think of them.
Also, if/when I change the globes again I will try loosening off (but not completely removing) the front clip/bumper to see if I can then remove the headlight assemblies, considering what a PITA it is to change the globes with the headlight assemblies in place.

Old 08-08-2018, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
I haven't found the Osram CBI globes to be at all yellow, nice and bright white IMO.
But still keen to see how you go with the new nightbreakers and what you think of them.
Also, if/when I change the globes again I will try loosening off (but not completely removing) the front clip/bumper to see if I can then remove the headlight assemblies, considering what a PITA it is to change the globes with the headlight assemblies in place.
i can swap out the globes in minutes, ill get the iphone camera rolling when i put the new osrams in

jump out of a car with LED headlights, and they are as yellow as

Old 08-14-2018, 12:40 AM

got the headlights in, and fk i forgot to take pics, sorry mate lol

yes they are yellow'er than the cbi, this was a given i think, but i'll see how they colour shift over time. colour out of the box is half way bw oe xenon and halogen

all i can say is wow, the output in insane, noticeable improvement over the cbi, foreground light is brighter, the edges of the beam pattern are brighter, but what really blew me away was the throw with high beam on

the light output goes further than i can actually see

these are called 'osram nightbreaker laser'....and as much as i'd like to hate on the marketing, they aren't wrong

best pic i could get while driving

The following users liked this post:
JgaXkr (08-14-2018)
Old 08-14-2018, 05:07 PM
Banned
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

can you take a pic of the color temp in the projector?

Old 10-27-2018, 04:54 PM
Banned

Which bulbs did you use or are you currently using. any pictures?

Old 10-27-2018, 05:54 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by John Jones
Which bulbs did you use or are you currently using. any pictures?
I changed the stock bulbs to Osram Xenarc CBI D3S 5000k, these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1X-New-OSRA...831e:rk:5:pf:0.
Still going strong and very happy with them, sorry no pics.
You can also get them in 6000k which have a bluer bulb colour but less light intensity (lumens).

Old 10-27-2018, 05:56 PM
Banned

I changed the stock bulbs to Osram Xenarc CBI D3S 5000k, these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1X-New-OSRA...831e:rk:5:pf:0.
Still going strong and very happy with them, sorry no pics.
You can also get them in 6000k which have a bluer bulb colour but less light intensity (lumens).
Thanks brother! Is the 5000k like a super pure white or does it have a hint of yellow? I've always fancied the appearance of 5800k, I guess maybe ill go with 6000k.

Old 10-27-2018, 06:00 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by John Jones
Thanks brother! Is the 5000k like a super pure white or does it have a hint of yellow? I've always fancied the appearance of 5800k, I guess maybe ill go with 6000k.
I reckon the 5000k are bright white but some such as DominoZ reckon they still have a touch of yellow. Maybe they are seeing things or my eyesight ain't what it used to be, but I feel no need at all to go any "whiter".
The 6000k will definitely be whiter/bluer with no chance of any yellow, but as I said the light intensity (lumens) will be down a bit compared to the 5000k.

Old 10-27-2018, 07:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

I reckon the 5000k are bright white but some such as DominoZ reckon they still have a touch of yellow. Maybe they are seeing things or my eyesight ain't what it used to be, but I feel no need at all to go any "whiter".
The 6000k will definitely be whiter/bluer with no chance of any yellow, but as I said the light intensity (lumens) will be down a bit compared to the 5000k.
You’ll be disappointed with the light output from bulbs that are over 4000k.

Old 10-28-2018, 06:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 497 Likes on 373 Posts

Here's my 'Go-To' website when trying to learn about automotive lighting:

Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

Bulb Specifics: Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

Old 10-29-2018, 01:00 AM

you can't get a 'white' led style colour out of a D3S

D3S is a mercury free bulb, and without it, the coloring just isn't right - i've learnt this from trialing pretty much all the bulbs on the market. the osram cool blue boost which started off white ended up turning blue once it colour changed, and became useless against a black road

the osram CBI is as 'white' as you're going to get without sacrificing output, or having to go to a cheap chinese bulb which isn't so environmentally conscious lol

i've decided to keep the osram lasers as spares, and will swap them in when i do drive trips for the added output

if you split your time bw cars with led headlights, the osram cbi will appear yellow to the eye

conversely jump out of a car with halogen headlights, and an oe 4300k bulb will appear white

them's the breaks

Last edited by domino_z; 10-29-2018 at 01:05 AM.
Old 10-29-2018, 02:32 AM
Veteran Member

So Dom, can you use a D1S in the F-Type without any problems?
My understanding is yes you can and the only reason for D3S is low or nil mercury.

Old 10-29-2018, 09:37 AM

So Dom, can you use a D1S in the F-Type without any problems?
My understanding is yes you can and the only reason for D3S is low or nil mercury.
2 reasons you cant

1) the base is notched differently so they won’t physically fit in the housing - you could mod this, but then

2) the ballast is unique for a d3s, it doesn’t have the power to ignite a d1s, and it’ll prob flicker or just not power up at all. The point of the d3s being mercury free is that it requires less energy to ignite the gases, hence the whole green enviro switch to d3/d4

we’ll just have to stick with the cbi, wait for ol mate faux svr to guinea pig an oe led retro, or you could ship your lights to someone like lightwerkz or retrofitsource to convert to a d2 setup - not a bad option tbh if you can have the car off the road for a few weeks

Last edited by domino_z; 10-29-2018 at 09:42 AM.
The following users liked this post:
OzXFR (10-29-2018)
Old 07-05-2019, 06:16 AM

Bump - anyone given more thought toward retrofitting the led headlights

quite a few listings starting to hit eBay now

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2018-Jagu...YAAOSwn01cDFV6

Old 10-11-2019, 07:31 AM

D3S bump

i did a road trip with lots of night driving so swapped in my osram nightbreaker laser bulbs - these things are ridiculously bright, so bright it’s tough to use them on road as those bonnet height street signs reflect back at you like you have high beams on. The extra brightest doesn’t fade towards cutoff either, so you can easily see the light output goes further and wider

in doing so I thought I’d take some pics to show you guys how I rotate the fuse box out of the way to get access

i also swapped in a new set of osram cool blue boost after watching this vid with a comparison of all the popular d3s bulbs - JLR use the same denso projectors as FCA

not sure if osram changed the salts but this second set is brighter and whiter than the first set I bought immediately on launch

some pics for comparison

brand new osram cool blue boost

^nightbreaker laser with about 10 hours

Old 05-25-2020, 08:18 AM
Received 49 Likes on 19 Posts

It's been quite some time from the last post, so I wonder if there is any new approach/progress on retrofitting LED headlights in place of regular?

Old 05-25-2020, 09:33 PM

the tech guru's have made a lot of ground retrofiting non-optioned modules and updating infotainment, so hopefully it's just a matter of time

Old 03-30-2021, 01:50 AM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Guardian
It's been quite some time from the last post, so I wonder if there is any new approach/progress on retrofitting LED headlights in place of regular?

People in UK are selling full LED conversion units for 14-17 models.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jaguar-F-...4AAOSwA2hd3-AR

Quick Reply: Anyone tried to retrofit the 2018 headlights or taillights yet?