Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back to F-Type?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2022, 07:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 478 Likes on 323 Posts
Default Back to F-Type?

In 2017 I purchased a new F-type S coupe. Drove for several years and enjoyed completely. In a moment of stupidity(?), I decided I wanted the new Corvette C8 mid engine and sold the F-type, ordered a Vette. After waiting 3 months, and starting to see C8's on every street, I canceled the C8 order and started looking at a Lexus LC500. While still waiting to clear out my limited garage, I recently saw an F-Type convertible, and am starting to move back to the Jag.
Have there been any improvements on the F-Type, other than the 4 cylinder engine(improvement??) in the ensuing years. How do the 4cylinder models compare to larger motored models?
This will be my 'toy' as my wife has an SUV that handles most of our driving. Will likely keep this vehicle for at least 20 yrs. so I want to make a good decision when I do buy.

Old 01-10-2022, 08:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

What year/years F-Type are you considering? new or used?

Old 01-10-2022, 09:24 AM
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

If I didn't have my 2015 F Type R, I'd probably have an LC500. Similar vein, but very different and very special in their own regard. Newer versions of the F type don't have a tremendous amount different compared to your 2017. Minor face lift, maybe some updated infotainment. I personally like the old style more.

Old 01-10-2022, 09:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 564 Likes on 383 Posts

Welcome (almost) back. (As a reminder, at least one of us said you'd be back.)

The 4-banger lets you have the looks of a F-Type, but not really the spirited fun. For the most part, the car is much the same as you remember. Some minor styling tweaks, infotainment updates, etc. Some reviews complain that the car is so unchanged, but others admit it was great to start with. Get another "S" and you'll feel like you never left.

By all rights, get one with camel interior and name it Clyde. Cheers!

Old 01-10-2022, 09:37 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,078 Likes on 1,380 Posts

You're probably aware that new F-types are only offered with V8s in the states, in various levels of tune.

Old 01-10-2022, 09:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 478 Likes on 323 Posts

DIdn't know about only V-8's in state. I was considering the 4 banger, but not without a drive. I am a bit past my 'Drag Racing years. Looking more for something with style, and not seen on every corner. Mileage is starting to be a consideration. New/Used, still being debated. Got to get '55 Nash Convertible out of my garage first(long story).

Old 01-10-2022, 10:28 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,395 Likes on 1,060 Posts

Originally Posted by SamtheSham
... I was considering the 4 banger ....
Could you live with only half an engine?

The following users liked this post:
SouthSider (01-10-2022)
Old 01-10-2022, 12:24 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I went from an RCF (I know not exactly the same as the LC500). I have an 18 r-dynamic..and don’t miss the V8 one bit!

Old 01-10-2022, 04:16 PM
Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

Prior to getting my 21’ the first F Type I drove was a 4 cylinder. I had just started working at the dealer and personally didn’t know which engine was in the car at the time, nor the difference in trim levels. I left the car extremely disappointed and didn’t consider it until a customer and I went out for a test drive in an R. The 4 cylinder looked great, but that was about it. Glad they did away with it entirely. We still have a new 21 black on black R Dynamic 6 cylinder available if you’re interested, but personally wouldn’t get anything below that. For 21’s on the R’s suspension was changed (improved further than SVR supposedly), also received SVR engine tuning, no CCBs available anymore, digital dashboard/interactive driver display standard on all trims, and the obvious exterior changes which I prefer. I’m sure I missed something, but that’s most of it

KalamazooJag (01-10-2022)
Old 01-10-2022, 04:27 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Whalesmash
If I didn't have my 2015 F Type R, I'd probably have an LC500.
This, 100%. Also a GT car, also a head turner while being rare enough, also an amazing interior, etc.

Old 01-10-2022, 04:32 PM
Received 94 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by JonnyM
Prior to getting my 21’ the first F Type I drove was a 4 cylinder. I had just started working at the dealer and personally didn’t know which engine was in the car at the time, nor the difference in trim levels. I left the car extremely disappointed and didn’t consider it until a customer and I went out for a test drive in an R. The 4 cylinder looked great, but that was about it. Glad they did away with it entirely. We still have a new 21 black on black R Dynamic 6 cylinder available if you’re interested, but personally wouldn’t get anything below that. For 21’s on the R’s suspension was changed (improved further than SVR supposedly), also received SVR engine tuning, no CCBs available anymore, digital dashboard/interactive driver display standard on all trims, and the obvious exterior changes which I prefer. I’m sure I missed something, but that’s most of it

Great juxtaposition!! For my part...(own a '22 MY)...I love the newer styling cues, BUT it was the original F-Type cues that made me a lover...so, you CANNOT go wrong with either one...but, I do love the '21+.

Old 01-10-2022, 06:09 PM
Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

i would definitely go LC500

Old 01-10-2022, 07:43 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by uclabrruin1989
i would definitely go LC500
hmmm… rental.

Old 01-10-2022, 08:50 PM
Received 177 Likes on 49 Posts

OP: As someone who is on his third F-type, AND have also put on about 10k miles on a 2021 LC500, here’s my take if you wanted to compare the two.

The F type Pros (any v-8 variants):
-It’s significantly faster, in feel as well as in actual speed.
-It’s smaller, lighter, and nimbler in the twisty.
-It’s louder (I’m not saying it sounds better since the tone of the LC is quite exotic) but the f-type is no question, much, much louder.
-It has more desirable badge and image.
-In the right color and with the right option, it looks more exotic/more high-end.

The LC Pros:
-The whole car, especially the interior, is top notch in material, fit and finishes. No panel gaps, no speaker rattles, no cheap plastic. No wind noise or road noises despite riding on 21” wheels and tires.
-The chassis feels more settled. Grip is very good for a rwd car.
-The gear box shifts faster, and steering feel is more connected.
-The engine is more special in its smoothest and willingness to rev.
-My Lexus dealership opens 365 days a year (yes, I can bring it in New Years’ Eve for an oil change if need to) and Lexus loaners are always available. They treat you like a king when you roll up. For me, the ownership experience is important when buying a car and keeping it long term.

Hope this helped a bit more with your quest.

Last edited by Lizard; 01-10-2022 at 09:05 PM.
MrKhacheerio (01-11-2022)
Old 01-10-2022, 09:29 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The Lexus def has a well made interior and a great engine. If you drive it enough you may eventually forget how fn ugly it is. Lexus (and parent Toyota for that matter) have always had such anodine styling (a couple of exceptions), so I understand why a few years ago, they went radical with the snout. But when it looks like alien on the Predator movie you can see why Lexus will never produce a classic. At best it’s a hairdresser’s car (on a bad hair day).

Lexus grill.

The following 3 users liked this post by TheMoke:
SouthSider (01-11-2022), sov211 (01-11-2022), VroomForTwo (01-18-2022)
Old 01-10-2022, 10:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 564 Likes on 383 Posts

I just can't get past the front end looks of the LC500 (or any of the current Lexus models), and its 0-60 is the same as the F-Type 6-cyl.
If I were shopping outside of Jaguar, I'd be in an Aston.

The following 3 users liked this post by uncheel:
Brit-Type (01-11-2022), sov211 (01-11-2022), VroomForTwo (01-18-2022)
Old 01-11-2022, 05:58 AM
Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

I have to just chime in and say I owned 5 C5 Corvettes and really loved them. I wasn't a big fan of the C7's after they came out because they were everywhere. The redesign of the C8 and performance numbers are wonderful but exactly as you stated I am seeing them in AZ all over the place already. I said this a few months back and assume once they become more readily available they will be literally all over the streets. To me that simply means they are a "great bang for the buck" car but also it means I simply don't want a car that is flooded all over the streets. I don't personally care if people "look at me" but rather prefer to drive something that isn't so common. I enjoy my Jag very much and still rarely see one around. The Lexus would be a solid choice as well and their reliability and interior is tough to beat. I was extremely interested in a Lotus Evora S until I couldn't find a shop locally to even work on it if I bought one.

Old 01-11-2022, 10:25 AM
Received 124 Likes on 76 Posts

Just have to chime in about the 4 banger. Stay away from it because you would be disappointed.

It's a pretty good engine which sounds surprisingly good for a 4 banger except on cold starts when it sounds like an old little diesel... but it somehow doesn't really suit the F-Type and arguably dumbs the car down. It feels like more of a miata or hot hatch class car type of engine which just doesn't have enough character to match the rest of the car and what it should stand for. Pretty much a similar story as the 4 banger Mustangs. I tested both pre-face lift and the latest facelift versions of it, tried really hard to like it and thought it was kind of nice but concluded that it's definitely not for me.

Old 01-11-2022, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts
The following 2 users liked this post by lizzardo:
DJS (01-11-2022), jaguny (01-17-2022)
Old 01-11-2022, 03:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,272 Likes on 876 Posts

Cant unsee that lol.

We have the p300 engine in our XE and it is lovely for that car. If I was buying a new shape F Type I'd probably go 4 potter because over here there is about $50K between the 4 and the 6 and to be honest for me the attraction of the 6 or 8 is noise, not power. Economy wise there isnt a lot of difference really especially if you dont drive them much. I've been in a 4 potter driven by a pro on a hot lap, they handle like nothing else and a good driver can get plenty out of them.

But if I was in Sam's shoes, for a weekend car to hold for a long time, I'd be looking at a manual. Maybe the new lotus with the 6 cylinder manual, or one of the pre-Benz engined Aston Vantages. I bought a manual Mustang several months ago, really loving it especially on the windy roads.

Quick Reply: Back to F-Type?