F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Dead - Reason Unknown

Old 03-27-2016, 05:25 PM
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Battery Dead - Reason Unknown

Today the F-Type called my bluff on its "battery low, please start engine" warning. Can't seem to figure out what it was that drained it but the warning had been appearing at startup for the past three days. Figured out how to use the key, etc to gain access to battery but after quick research, others say not to jump start as you would normally. Can anyone shed some light on how I am to recharge the battery and advise on any small drainage culprits I may have missed? Thanks in advance, gang.

Old 03-27-2016, 05:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,635 Likes on 3,358 Posts

Once you get your battery charged back up you can reboot the battery management control module by disconnecting the battery for 10+ seconds. This has been resolving 90% of the F-Type battery drain issues.

The following 2 users liked this post by Unhingd:
ImNotFamousAnymore (03-27-2016), jiminfl (02-24-2019)
Old 03-27-2016, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Once you get your battery charged back up you can reboot the battery management control module by disconnecting the battery for 10+ seconds. This has been resolving 90% of the F-Type battery drain issues.
Thanks for that. In terms of charging it back up, can I use a trickle charger or jump start like I would any other vehicle? I've seen other places that you're not supposed to.

Old 03-27-2016, 06:12 PM
Received 46 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ImNotFamousAnymore
Thanks for that. In terms of charging it back up, can I use a trickle charger or jump start like I would any other vehicle? I've seen other places that you're not supposed to.
You can charge it from the front, no problem. I would suggest bringing the car to the dealer, even if it does recharge just fine. They'll put a tester on the battery and if it fails, voila, new battery for you. Service can also run a quiescent (Kwee-es-scent) current test on your car to determine if a module isn't going to "sleep". It can take anywhere from 10-30 minutes for a Jag to get "tucked-in" and shut everything down.

If a module is staying up at night, that could be what killed your battery. I saw an XF recently that had a couple of wires coming from the trunk harness fray. Perpetual "Boot open" message which killed a battery. She didn't know it because she parks in a garage.

Also, if you're parking in a garage, it doesn't hurt to give a chirp of the remote to make sure it locks. If a door is left ajar, it won't sleep. You'll know because it gives you 2 honks.

Hope that helps!

Ryan

The following 2 users liked this post by Ryan23:
ImNotFamousAnymore (03-27-2016), Zoomzoom17 (03-28-2021)
Old 03-27-2016, 06:15 PM
Received 175 Likes on 131 Posts

If you park in a garage, make sure that the key is far enough away. There have been reports that the car wakes up when it notices the key. If the key is close all night, the car could stay awake.

The following 3 users liked this post by Dogbreath!:
ImNotFamousAnymore (03-27-2016), SinF (03-27-2016), Zoomzoom17 (03-28-2021)
Old 03-27-2016, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Ryan23
You can charge it from the front, no problem. I would suggest bringing the car to the dealer, even if it does recharge just fine. They'll put a tester on the battery and if it fails, voila, new battery for you. Service can also run a quiescent (Kwee-es-scent) current test on your car to determine if a module isn't going to "sleep". It can take anywhere from 10-30 minutes for a Jag to get "tucked-in" and shut everything down.

If a module is staying up at night, that could be what killed your battery. I saw an XF recently that had a couple of wires coming from the trunk harness fray. Perpetual "Boot open" message which killed a battery. She didn't know it because she parks in a garage.

Also, if you're parking in a garage, it doesn't hurt to give a chirp of the remote to make sure it locks. If a door is left ajar, it won't sleep. You'll know because it gives you 2 honks.

Hope that helps!

Ryan

Thanks for the insights! I always give it a two click lock and it never gave me issues. I suppose I will take it in for a look. It was just in for inspection a week ago. Is it possible that they did something when updating software...?

Last edited by ImNotFamousAnymore; 03-27-2016 at 06:21 PM.
Old 03-27-2016, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Dogbreath!
If you park in a garage, make sure that the key is far enough away. There have been reports that the car wakes up when it notices the key. If the key is close all night, the car could stay awake.
It does sleep in the garage and the key comes in with me so I can't attribute it to that, unfortunately.

Old 03-27-2016, 06:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan23
This. I've been having the same problem for the last 2-3 weeks on mine as well after its winter slumber, and Friday morning the battery was absolutely dead when i got in it. Luckily i got in it to go have it serviced at the local dealership, so they will be performing a drain test on Monday after they install a new battery. I'll keep you posted.

The following users liked this post:
ImNotFamousAnymore (03-27-2016)
Old 03-27-2016, 06:48 PM

Thanks for the insights! I always give it a two click lock and it never gave me issues. I suppose I will take it in for a look. It was just in for inspection a week ago. Is it possible that they did something when updating software...?
No, it wouldn't have been the software or anything service related. However, on that same note, unless you ask they're not going to put your battery on a Midtronics tester to check it out. They're not allowed to "up-sell" potential warranty repairs.

Ryan

ImNotFamousAnymore (03-27-2016)
Old 03-27-2016, 06:51 PM
Veteran Member

Bingo. I notice that my battery management system has to be reset with a battery disconnect every time I have a flash done through the ODBII port.

Old 03-27-2016, 06:53 PM
Received 171 Likes on 123 Posts

Hasn't actually not started yet, but I get endless low battery please start car messages on mine.

Old 03-27-2016, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Bingo. I notice that my battery management system has to be reset with a battery disconnect every time I have a flash done through the ODBII port.
He's got a 16'... he shouldn't have any campaigns performed at service. Also, BMS should only be required to be run after a battery swap.

Now if you're talking about other *ahem* flashes (not performed at the dealer) that could be the case. I notice that "other" flashes do exhibit some odd behavior.

Ryan

Old 03-27-2016, 06:59 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by AnD3rew
Hasn't actually not started yet, but I get endless low battery please start car messages on mine.
Have you
done the battery disconnect yet?

Old 03-27-2016, 07:01 PM

Jags eat batteries. It's always more commonplace on the ones that don't get driven. Just remember to ask to have your battery tested at your next service.

AnD3rew (03-27-2016)
Old 03-27-2016, 08:18 PM
Received 171 Likes on 123 Posts

Thanks, yes it has just had a service but it is due for new spark plugs and they had none in the country so it has to go in next week for plugs and I will get them to check the battery again next week.

Old 03-27-2016, 08:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

Picked up the car Friday, I've driven over 200 miles since then. Most of them are highway miles. This afternoon the the "battery low, please start engine message" appeared. I took it for a 20 mile drive. When I went to test drive this vehicle the dealership had it on a trickle charger in the showroom. Sounds like a trip back to the dealer is in order.

Old 03-27-2016, 08:23 PM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Dogbreath!
How far enough away are we talking? At my job I can physically see my car on top of the parking garage and I was across the street 5 floors up. Rough estimate on distance is 500-600 feet. Testing the key fob, I was able to lock and unlock the vehicle.

As for my battery draining issue, I brought it back to my dealer and they ruled it as a defective battery. Once they replaced it I have never had the issue come back. Even have my dash cam recording 12hrs after the car is shut off, no problems.

Last edited by TwiztOG43; 03-27-2016 at 08:25 PM.
Old 03-27-2016, 10:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

Weird, I have NEVER gotten that message in 2 years.

Old 03-27-2016, 10:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Weird, I have NEVER gotten that message in 2 years.
Looks like at least 3 of us are 16 MYs (and AWD) so far. Could be an issue with some of the new equipment.

Old 03-27-2016, 10:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Stohlen
Looks like at least 3 of us are 16 MYs (and AWD) so far. Could be an issue with some of the new equipment.
I suppose it could be related to the options on the car. My car is as stripped as an F-Type can be. Andrew reports the issue, but his is a V6S.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Battery Dead - Reason Unknown