F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best place to mount a smartphone in the F-Type?

Old 04-15-2015, 07:45 PM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by shift
IronMike, all valid points. I just don't like the idea of any adhesive/glue mounting. I'm sure it will come off OK, but I'm super paranoid that when the time does come to take it off it will cause issues. Plus I want an easily removable mount because a lot of times I don't need to mount my phone and want the car to look clean.

The mount will come off just as easily, possibly even more so, than the badges removed from the back of the car. A little dental floss, followed up by some citrus based adhesive remover, and no one could ever tell something was stuck there for several years.

Old 04-16-2015, 12:11 AM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by TXJagR
Mike, I love where you have your phone, but there's no way to run a charging cable to it at that location...

This is positively untrue. I can run a cable to this location several different ways.

the easiest and most raw way is to string the cable from my incontrol apps connector and loosely dangle it straight to the phone. As little as I have problems with battery life, I would not have an issue doing this a few times a month.

Running the cable tucked up along the edge of the console, where it meets the carpet, will traverse about 80% of the run with minimal effort.

If I get truly adventurous, which is likely, I'll remove several of the console sections (all the technical weave parts clip in and out rather easily), and believe I can thread the cable from the console storage box, all the way to the phone mount, with the only visible evidence of the cable being that portion I need to leave out at the top end near the phone, to plug in.

The following users liked this post:
TXJagR (04-16-2015)
Old 05-28-2015, 12:25 PM
Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

i really like the clean look of that. the best option i have seen, assuming one is ok with adhering something to the dash (i'm not crazy about that, but...). i've been using a cup holder mount...pretty good, but the placement is not ideal (a bit too far back relative to driving position & it does cause a long glance from the road). i like that you can simply take it out in 2 seconds.

Old 05-28-2015, 07:56 PM
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

I was looking at something like the following:

iOttie Easy One Touch 2 Car Mount Holder @ Amazon.com iOttie Easy One Touch 2 Car Mount Holder @ Amazon.com

Looks like it can mount on the window, the dash, or on any relatively flat surface, like the space below the central air vents. It's also flexible and easily removable without needing adhesive.

Though I do like the look at some of the other mounts suggested.

Old 09-26-2015, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by BierNut
Magnets only affect disk based storage, not flash. There is nothing magnetic in flash memory, so it is immune to the effects of magnetism. A magnet powerful enough to disturb the electrons in flash memory would be powerful enough to suck the iron out of your blood cells. At this point, ruined memory would be the least of your problems.

This was a concern back in the day with floppy drives, but not any more.
SCIENCE! Or at least chemical and earth sciences! =) Thanks.

Old 10-19-2015, 12:14 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

[QUOTE=BierNut;1207454]A magnet powerful enough to disturb the electrons in flash memory would be powerful enough to suck the iron out of your blood cells. At this point, ruined memory would be the least of your problems./QUOTE]

Old 10-25-2015, 10:52 AM
Received 98 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by IronMike

So how did I accomplish this with no apparent bracket or mount?
This wonderful little Magic Magnetic Mount from Scosche, available from Amazon for $19.99
Amazon.com: SCOSCHE MagicMount- Magnetic Dash Mount for Mobile devices - Car Mounts - Frustration-Free Packaging - Black: Automotive
Awesome solution -- I ordered this Scoshe mount and it arrived a few days ago. What a difference having my phone (mostly used for Waze) at eye level. I had been putting the phone horizontally within the recessed area where the Jaguar tv/monitor is located. The problem is that when you take off from a stopped position, the low end torque inevitably sends the phone flying! I love this Scoshe mount for its simplicity and for the relatively clean look with or without the phone mounted.

Thanks for this amazing suggestion!

Old 10-25-2015, 02:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by IronMike
A little dental floss, followed up by some citrus based adhesive remover, and no one could ever tell something was stuck there for several years.
It doesn't destroy the leather finish?

Old 10-25-2015, 02:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by lhoboy
It doesn't destroy the leather finish?
There's no leather there. His is mounted on the dash trim panel, which is carbon fiber in his case, light hex aluminum on mine. I agree it's the best location for a semi-permanent mount

I just leave my iPhone in the cupholder and listen to what Jane from Waze tells me.

Last edited by Foosh; 10-25-2015 at 02:41 PM.
Old 10-25-2015, 02:35 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Foosh
There's no leather there. His is mounted on the dash trim panel, which is carbon fiber in his case, light hex aluminum on mine.
Just above the touchscreen?

Old 10-25-2015, 02:45 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lhoboy
Just above the touchscreen?
Yep. Go look, it's the panel your "S" is on.

Unhingd (10-25-2015)
Old 10-26-2015, 12:03 PM
Old 10-26-2015, 01:32 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Socal_transplant
If you're worried about the adhesive, I have this suction cup solution:

Amazon.com: The Original iMagnet Cradle-less Universal Car Phone Windshield Dashboard Mount Holder for iPhone 6, 6 Plus (6+), 5S 5 4S, Galaxy S5 S4 S3, Note 2 3, HTC One 8X 8S, LG Optimus, Nexus 4: Cell Phones & Accessories

It sits higher (obviously) than the Scosche model and the suction cup feature means that I can use it in my other cars.
Until the grab arm solution is made, this might be best for me... could I trouble you for pics? I assume this can angle and swivel down so it can hover just above the touchscreen, in a horizontal way?

Old 10-26-2015, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
Until the grab arm solution is made, this might be best for me... could I trouble you for pics? I assume this can angle and swivel down so it can hover just above the touchscreen, in a horizontal way?
Hopefully the pics will help answer your questions.

The following 3 users liked this post by Socal_transplant:
Foosh (10-28-2015), Uncle Fishbits (10-28-2015), Unhingd (10-26-2015)
Old 10-27-2015, 08:35 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CD Slot Mount wedged next to pistol shifter

Hi gang. New owner and 1st post! Not sure how to do pictures yet so you'll have to use your imagination.

Thanks all for the great ideas. I didn't see this one which is what I'm currently using.

A "CD-Mount" smartphone holder is designed to slide into a CD slot about 1 inch with a thin approx. 1mm piece of plastic. There is also a screw that allows you to separate the thin 1mm blades to brace into place.

I used this mount but slid it inbetween the plastic trim piece to the left of the pistol shifter and the leather trim around it so it sits next to my right knee. Doesn't mark the leather at all (so far) and is slides out easily. I took out the adjustment screw as it fit tightly without having to separate the blades.

I used this one (magnetic mount).

Amazon.com: Koomus Magnetos Universal CD Slot Magnetic Cradle-less Smartphone Car Mount Holder for iPhone 6 6+ 5 5S 5C 4 4S iPod touch, Samsung Galaxy S5 S4 S3 Note 2 Note 3 Google Droid HTC GPS with Quick-snap technology: Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: Koomus Magnetos Universal CD Slot Magnetic Cradle-less Smartphone Car Mount Holder for iPhone 6 6+ 5 5S 5C 4 4S iPod touch, Samsung Galaxy S5 S4 S3 Note 2 Note 3 Google Droid HTC GPS with Quick-snap technology: Cell Phones & Accessories

I imagine others would work just as well.

Socal_transplant (10-27-2015)
Old 10-27-2015, 01:47 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by HoneyBadger
Hi gang. New owner and 1st post! Not sure how to do pictures yet so you'll have to use your imagination.
My imagination is not quite good enough. I don't see any panels fitting so loosely that this contraption could fit between them. (and the CD player is behind me)

Old 10-28-2015, 11:46 AM
Veteran Member

Yup, and bought. Thank you. Now it's just waiting for the grab bar... someday...

Old 10-28-2015, 01:18 PM
Veteran Member

Yep, ordered the suction cup iMagnet here too. That one was good enough to get me to consider moving my phone out of the cupholder.

Old 10-28-2015, 03:24 PM
Veteran Member

Also, bought it. Thanks for the referral.

Old 10-28-2015, 11:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 256 Posts

for the magnetic mounting solutions that require a metal disc be inserted between the phone and your case, I would advise placing a "screen protector" or similar material on the back of your phone first. The consistent negative criticism of these mounts is that the metal discs move ever so slightly with vibration and scratch up your phone's backing. In the case of something like an iPhone that has an aluminum back, you can actually get corrosion from the metal-on-metal contact.

Socal_transplant (10-29-2015)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best place to mount a smartphone in the F-Type?