F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Portable Car Washer

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 11:48 AM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Best Portable Car Washer

I wanted to get opinions on the best portable car washers out there. I live in an apartment complex with no outside access to a hose. I've searched online and seen some models but also see "pressure washers" which I would be afraid to use against the paint. Often times these online ads don't differentiate between a simple washer and a pressure washer. One brand I see coming up a lot is Ivation. Thanks.

Old 02-10-2017, 12:03 PM
Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

Is 4.5 gallons really enough to wash a car properly? Why not just go to a wand-type car wash?

Larry

Old 02-10-2017, 01:08 PM
Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts

ive used a basic 2 gallon garden sprayer in combination with a "waterless" car wash during the 2nd half of 2016 while I was in a temporary house with no access to a hose.
i would fill my buckets in the house and bring them outside. with a good wheel cleaner the 2 gallons was more than enough for the entire car.

http://www.chemicalguys.com/Rinse_Fr...inseless_Wash_

was what i was using recently.

Old 02-10-2017, 08:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 187 Posts

I use the chemical guys waterless exclusively and realy like it, use a wheel cleaner first.

Old 02-12-2017, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by bjg625
I use the chemical guys waterless exclusively and realy like it, use a wheel cleaner first.
I guess i'm a little skeptical of anything waterless. I just can't see how you can amply get rid of dirt/salt/bird droppings with a spray and wipe. Don't you have to go through a ton of spray bottles and/or microfiber towels? I'd like to believe it works because it honestly sounds better to go waterless but have my doubts.

Old 02-12-2017, 01:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 256 Posts

Presuming that it's not too much trouble for you to fill 2 buckets and carry them out to your car, you should look into Optimum No-Rinse Wash & Shine. There are plenty of competitors. You don't spray it on, you dunk a wash mitt in the bucket and apply liberally, then towel dry. One panel at a time. If your car is really dirty, go to a self serve and use the sprayer to blast the big stuff off.

Old 02-13-2017, 10:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 329 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by myironlung
I guess i'm a little skeptical of anything waterless. I just can't see how you can amply get rid of dirt/salt/bird droppings with a spray and wipe. Don't you have to go through a ton of spray bottles and/or microfiber towels? I'd like to believe it works because it honestly sounds better to go waterless but have my doubts.
That's always been my feeling too.

Dave

Old 02-13-2017, 12:41 PM
Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts

nati is 100% on.

waterless washes are not waterless. they should really be called no rinse as you don't need a hose.

when using the waterless washes, i use MF towels vs a mitt. you go through quite a few MF towels for an entire car. you get 8 swipes per towel (folding into quarters). i would use 8-10 towels for the entire painted surface of the car. in addition to the buckets i also mix up a bit into a spray bottle to spray down while i wipe to provide extra lubrication.

i use ammo hydrate when drying the car, it's especially useful when i had to use the waterless washes ... again it just provides an extra layer of protection.

Old 02-14-2017, 11:15 AM

its been difficult finding a portable washer online that has good reviews so I just ordered a bunch of stuff from chemical guys. I went ahead and got the waterless wash, a slew of MF towels, and two buckets to try out their two bucket method. By watching some of the instructional videos I think it'll be ok and get me by just fine.

Old 02-14-2017, 01:40 PM
Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

I often use Optimum No-Rinse wash and the two bucket method. If the car is really dirty then I'll use a hose to wash it. I usually use about 4 micro-fiber cloths and a wheel brush. 2 cloths are for the car and 2 are for the wheels. I fold each cloth so that I have 8 sides to use as I move them across the surface of the car. When one side gets dirty then I flip the cloth. Once all four sides are dirty then I toss it in the bucket of clean water to be rinsed. I dry each section of the car immediately after washing it with a towel called "Dry Me A River".

Old 02-14-2017, 02:00 PM
Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by F12guy
I often use Optimum No-Rinse wash and the two bucket method. If the car is really dirty then I'll use a hose to wash it. I usually use about 4 micro-fiber cloths and a wheel brush. 2 cloths are for the car and 2 are for the wheels. I fold each cloth so that I have 8 sides to use as I move them across the surface of the car. When one side gets dirty then I flip the cloth. Once all four sides are dirty then I toss it in the bucket of clean water to be rinsed. I dry each section of the car immediately after washing it with a towel called "Dry Me A River".
DRY ME A RIVER. Someone shops at the ragcompany. It's actually the best drying cloth I have ever used. Plus all there towels are Korean made and not cheap Chinese knock offs

Old 02-14-2017, 02:35 PM
Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Prophizee
DRY ME A RIVER. Someone shops at the ragcompany. It's actually the best drying cloth I have ever used. Plus all there towels are Korean made and not cheap Chinese knock offs
Yes, that exactly where I purchased my towels. I learned about them in a BMW forum before I switched to Jaguar.