F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blown Engine - 2017 F Type R

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 12:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

Oil starvation in the 5.0l engines has been reported on numerous occasions on the X150 forum. My 2010 XKR had to have its engine replaced as a result of my mechanic's prepurchase inspection of the car when the previous owner brought the car to him. His aftermarket insurance paid my mechanic to find and replace the existing engine. We found an engine from a wrecked car that had 6000 miles on it. Engine and installation was $14000. And we got to keep the original motor to either repair or rebuild for the future or scavenge for parts to keep my car running well into the future . I have put about 75000 on it since I got the car over 4 years ago with little issues save the usual coolant system hassles like cracked coolant tanks, hoses, etc. And I had it pulleyed and tuned since I got it.

Old 09-12-2017, 02:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Oil starvation because there isn't oil in the oil pan, while technically an oil starvation, isn't what meant when mentioning oil starvation in content of engine design flaw. What is meant, that there is a flaw that results in a lack of oil pressure when it is otherwise available. Similarly, running out of gas is technically lean-out condition with x:0 by mass. However, nobody refers to it as such.

To best of my knowledge, what was reported on X150 forums is that careless owners allowed oil to run too low. If I am mistaken, and there are legitimate oil starvation issues please reply and correct me.

I am surprised that Jaguar doesn't have low oil level yellow warning on the dash. I am sure it does have red low oil pressure warning, as all cars do. It would come up if you run it out of oil and you have to ignore during normal driving conditions to grenade the engine. However, on a race track (or when towing) if you see it, it is probably already too late.

Anecdote: My winter car had oil pan gushed by metal debris on the road. I lost all oil in a very short time while driving at highway speeds, but noticed the light and cruised to stop. New oil pan, new oil and filter, and the engine was fine. The car is still on the road and that happened couple years ago.

Last edited by SinF; 09-12-2017 at 02:21 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DPelletier (09-12-2017)
Old 09-12-2017, 02:54 PM
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Love the keyboard warriors. Yes, I'm still around and yes, my VAP Cats is for sale if you guys need it.

And another yes that I got an Aston Martin.

JagRag (09-15-2017)
Old 09-12-2017, 03:57 PM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by JVIII
Love the keyboard warriors. Yes, I'm still around and yes, my VAP Cats is for sale if you guys need it.

And another yes that I got an Aston Martin.

Congrats on the Aston acquisition. Hope it treats you better!

JVIII (09-13-2017)
Old 09-12-2017, 05:39 PM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Tberg ---- can I ask who your independent jag mechanic is --- I too live in Los Angeles sera and I'm looking for an independent jag mechanism ----- thanks

Old 09-12-2017, 07:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

Aston pictures and those who own them (Astons) are always welcome!

JVIII (09-13-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 03:36 PM
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

JVIII, thanks for posting this thread, and although you took a beating from all sides, I learned a lot and appreciate you sharing. It's got to be tough to go through what you went through without having to explain yourself over and over, but there were a lot of very detailed and thorough comments in the thread by many posters that helped me learn even more.

Thanks guys!

JVIII (09-13-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by jaguny
Aston pictures and those who own them (Astons) are always welcome!
Don't want the flame from the Jaguar Keyboard Warriors.

If you really want to see it I'm a member at 6Speedonline as well.

zmoothg (09-23-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 11:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 95 Likes on 86 Posts

Ok. I have read this thread from the beginning, including the OP's original tuning thread. People are so caught up in their camps of tuning is bad Vs. Tuning doesnt hurt anything ......here it is people...The OP ran his car out of oil. That is pretty much evident. After reading this post, I checled my oil and sure as ***, I was a quart low since my last service, which was before the tune and pulley addition. I will be more dilgent about it now thanks to this guys post.

Look at his sig...he goes through cars like I used to go through leggy blondes!! Obviously, the guy can afford to blow a motor or two and I think that is a great thing. He is playing the game at a high level and can take the hits as they come. Kuddos to you JVIII !!! (BTW...I aspire to own an Aston eventually...way out of my price range at the moment).

My point is, the tune or mods have almost nothing to do with any internal engine components damage that may occur. Just look at the AMG CLA 45's...tuners like AMS and RenTech are getting 455HP out of a 4 cylinder with no issues. The germans arent using any special super secret steel and they dont have a monopoly on good engine design.

Our engines can take a lot of stress! It's just that the general Jag owner isn't inclined to mod their cars like other car marks and their owners...I guess it has to do with the whole "old guy car" thing that the brand can't seem to shake. But that is changing with dudes like JVII and myself, who like to see what we can do to these cars to make them even more excotic and fun to drive than they already are. You are either into this or you are not.

I am glad that there are guys like Unhingd and Stohln, et al that are experienced in the art of engine tuning and racing and have the ***** to show us the way and take the initial risks so that tuners like Velocity AP and Eurotoys , etc. can provide our market with realiable options. I am also happy that guys like JVIII are willing to throw their motors into the trash by running them low on oil...like I said, if the guy can afford it, then he can pretty much have as much fun with the car as he wants until if blows. The point being that we all get something out of all of these "experiments" because we learn from what they try and what works and what does not. Would I have checked my oil had I not read JVIII's experience? Probably not !!! I assume that unless I see oil on the ground, the engine is not going to be losing oil through extreme heat or howver the hell an engine uses oil. I know my gaskets are not blown... who cares...I was saved from going through that by someone who was willing to share his experiences with his car.

The following 5 users liked this post by Cherry_560sel:
JgaXkr (09-16-2017), ndabunka (09-14-2017), Optimus812 (09-24-2017), SinF (09-14-2017), zmoothg (09-23-2017)
Old 09-14-2017, 01:00 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zmoothg
I asked my dealer to do a quote for me today. It came to ~$33K.
Yikes! I def don't want that happening.

Old 09-14-2017, 07:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

F-type electronic dip stick is absolute garbage. I hate using it because it won't work while the car is running. Supposedly, you can press cancel 5 times to get it to show oil level when it is running, but I couldn't get this method to work. If anyone could clarify procedure, I'd be really appreciative.

Now, to losing oil. In this context it is likely oil burning due to increased boost. With racing I have done with stock tune, I don't see excessive oil burning. However, I change oil every other track day and miles-wise it ends up 2-3K. Dealing with blow-by and so on on other engines I know that oil consumption isn't linear - for some reason new oil holds really well, then consumption ramps up. I also know that more boost almost always results in more consumption.

What all of that means? if you a) race b) tuned engine to increase boost c) change engine oil at 10K it is quite possible that you could run the engine dry. So if you do a) and/or b) make sure to watch your oil level.

Old 09-14-2017, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,640 Likes on 3,362 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
F-type electronic dip stick is absolute garbage. I hate using it because it won't work while the car is running. Supposedly, you can press cancel 5 times to get it to show oil level when it is running, but I couldn't get this method to work. If anyone could clarify procedure, I'd be really appreciative.

Now, to losing oil. In this context it is likely oil burning due to increased boost. With racing I have done with stock tune, I don't see excessive oil burning. However, I change oil every other track day and miles-wise it ends up 2-3K. Dealing with blow-by and so on on other engines I know that oil consumption isn't linear - for some reason new oil holds really well, then consumption ramps up. I also know that more boost almost always results in more consumption.

What all of that means? if you a) race b) tuned engine to increase boost c) change engine oil at 10K it is quite possible that you could run the engine dry. So if you do a) and/or b) make sure to watch your oil level.
You can't increase boost simply by tuning. That can only be done with a pulley. Remember, the OP had not yet changed either of the pulleys.

Old 09-14-2017, 11:01 AM
Received 824 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
You can't increase boost simply by tuning. That can only be done with a pulley. Remember, the OP had not yet changed either of the pulleys.
Lance, remember that the internal bypass valve in the charger opens with the factory mapping. On the V8 for example we can increase an SVR from 13 to 15psi with software.

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

Old 09-14-2017, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I actually changed my upper pulley.

zmoothg (09-23-2017)
Old 09-14-2017, 12:41 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello kaspa from the uk

Read this whole thread... one topic that was mentioned within the posts was that the engines don't have a low oil pressure sensor? Is this correct as the manual does refer to a low oil pressure lamp red light warning

But as I check through topix technical documents I can't seem to find the sensor or any reference in the wiring schematics .. but the warning light does exist.... any thoughts

Old 09-14-2017, 03:04 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
Lance, remember that the internal bypass valve in the charger opens with the factory mapping. On the V8 for example we can increase an SVR from 13 to 15psi with software.
Doh...forgot the bypass. Still not much increase compared to the 19+ psi with the lower pulley.

Old 09-14-2017, 03:07 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JVIII
I actually changed my upper pulley.
On the V8, the upper pulley swap is indeed significant (6.5% SC speed increase).

Old 09-14-2017, 06:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 280 Likes on 214 Posts

I'm not sure how being able to check the electronic dipstick whilst the engine is running is any more valid than checking an old school dipstick whilst the engine is running. They weren't calibrated for that.

But just like muscle memory to put on my seat belt when I get into the car, I'm trying to adopt the aircraft captain approach of checking the oil level on first trip of the day. It's very easy to get complacent and reactive instead of proactive...

Old 09-14-2017, 07:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
Stuart, and so on my R that we tuned, was the boost increase the same?
Lawrence

Old 09-14-2017, 07:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

I believe the procedure of checking oil while warm and wait 10 minutes is around the fact that warm oil expands from cold and the 'full' measure is calibrated for warm oil, same as with a dipstick.. the wait 10 minutes is to make sure the oil has all settled into the pan.

No point in checking oil with an engine running, dipstick or otherwise.. I do believe our cars have a low pressure warning light that would come on if the pressure drops dangerously low.

One quart down should not cause engine damage either, under normal conditions.
Lawrence