F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying warranty on a used 2014 F-Type

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 11:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying warranty on a used 2014 F-Type

Most of the CPO F-Types for 2014 are done/cut off/sold out and 2015 CPO's are significantly more expensive. Anyone have any recommendations to buy a pre-owned extended warranty for a 14 F-Type? Got a quote from a couple dealers which were quoting over 6k for 5yr/60k miles which seems a bit high.

Old 02-17-2019, 11:33 PM
Received 56 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by stukovx
Most of the CPO F-Types for 2014 are done/cut off/sold out and 2015 CPO's are significantly more expensive. Anyone have any recommendations to buy a pre-owned extended warranty for a 14 F-Type? Got a quote from a couple dealers which were quoting over 6k for 5yr/60k miles which seems a bit high.
any dealer [not just Jag] can sell you the Fidelity Platinum warranty so I'd shop around for that if you must have a warranty but if I were in your shoes I'd just get a good PPI and chance it. Parts on these cars aren't too expensive so I wouldn't stress too much.

Old 02-17-2019, 11:35 PM

I'm coming from 3 F-Types. One that caught fire due to low oil, one that lasted up to 80k miles before I sold it but had the whole engine/exhaust replaced under warranty, and one that had the transmission and center console replaced. Rather be safe than sorry. Any benefit of getting a Fidelity plan through a Jaguar dealership vs any other dealer or going direct?

Old 02-17-2019, 11:44 PM

I'm coming from 3 F-Types. One that caught fire due to low oil, one that lasted up to 80k miles before I sold it but had the whole engine/exhaust replaced under warranty, and one that had the transmission and center console replaced. Rather be safe than sorry. Any benefit of getting a Fidelity plan through a Jaguar dealership vs any other dealer or going direct?
jeeeeeeez and you keep coming back?? good for you.

No difference in the warranty no matter where you buy it from but be sure to get the Platinum -- its an exclusionary warranty so it lists exactly what it doesn't cover and covers everything else.

Old 02-18-2019, 12:11 AM

Haha I rent these cars on Turo which is why I had three. I guess I'll keep calling around and getting quotes then

Old 02-18-2019, 07:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Third-party is an insurance and not warranty. Make sure to read fine print, specifically exclusion points and policy on mandatory used parts for repair. My experiences with them is that such warranties are just not worth it, as they are structured to deny coverage.

Old 02-18-2019, 07:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Your goals are conflicting. You want a deal of well-used F-type and you want protection of factory warranty. You can't have it both ways. This is why Jaguars depreciate so much.

Based on your track record of car issues I would strongly recommend staying away from out of warranty F-type. Buy new or off-lease CPO.

I rent these cars on Turo which is why I had three.
You can look at how all rental companies operate - they never hold on to a car past warranty. Most fleet cars are sold at 2 year mark. Also, it is unlikely that third party extended warranty would offer coverage to a car that is being rented.

Last edited by SinF; 02-18-2019 at 07:15 AM.
Old 02-18-2019, 12:09 PM

Appreciate the feedback, I just sold my 80k miles F-Type which made me $90k which I paid $30k net for. Even with all the issues, it's a great car and it seems like Fidelity Platinum covers most of the issues I had with the car.

A used 2014 F-Type V8 S can be had for around 40-45k whereas a CPO 2015 V8 S starts in the low to mid $50k

Old 02-18-2019, 02:53 PM

Appreciate the feedback, I just sold my 80k miles F-Type which made me $90k which I paid $30k net for. Even with all the issues, it's a great car and it seems like Fidelity Platinum covers most of the issues I had with the car.

A used 2014 F-Type V8 S can be had for around 40-45k whereas a CPO 2015 V8 S starts in the low to mid $50k
if you're using it as a rental mule, I'd spend the little extra and get the CPO at ~$50-55k rather than the non CPO for $45k + ~$4k for the warranty.

Old 02-18-2019, 03:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,133 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Agreed...since you are renting out this car it is being driven by many different people, none of whom are likely to treat it gently or respectfully - that is not why you would rent a car of this type, is it? You would want to "see what it can do". I can't think of a worse life for an F-Type...(as your history with 3 of them suggests). A full CPO warranty is your best bet - and given the profit you seem to be able to make by renting it, it would be worth the extra cost.

Old 02-18-2019, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by sov211
Agreed...since you are renting out this car it is being driven by many different people, none of whom are likely to treat it gently or respectfully - that is not why you would rent a car of this type, is it? You would want to "see what it can do". I can't think of a worse life for an F-Type...(as your history with 3 of them suggests). A full CPO warranty is your best bet - and given the profit you seem to be able to make by renting it, it would be worth the extra cost.
yeah at first I was shocked by his history of issues...but given that they don't alert for low oil or anything like that, hardly surprising that sticking to the factory maintenance schedule and having many people [who don't care] beat the **** out of it, its hardly surprising.

Old 02-18-2019, 06:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

I didn't know a standard warranty/policy would cover a vehicle used for commercial purposes?

Old 02-18-2019, 06:39 PM

If people are saying that a Fidelity Platinum coverage is equal to CPO warranty, I would rather have the option to cancel the Fidelity in the case that someone totals a car within the first 10,000 miles of owning it versus getting nothing for a CPO.

The F-Types I have owned in general have been pretty reliable and any issue I had was quickly fixed under warranty. And as many of you probably know, the sound of the V8 is like no other

Old 02-19-2019, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 564 Likes on 383 Posts

Make sure whatever warranty you're getting covers commercial use. Presumably you've done the same on insurance.

Old 02-20-2019, 10:16 AM
Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts

My car has 65000 miles, a 2014 V8 s and I was able to get warranty as well. Full warranty

Old 02-21-2019, 03:46 PM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by lossking_
My car has 65000 miles, a 2014 V8 s and I was able to get warranty as well. Full warranty
Lossking, where did you get your extended warranty at? Mine is up next year and looking at options of extending if I find myself not quite ready to let go of RWD glory and move to AWD model.

Do you have approx term/cost of what you have as well?

Old 02-21-2019, 08:17 PM
Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Byrnout
Lossking, where did you get your extended warranty at? Mine is up next year and looking at options of extending if I find myself not quite ready to let go of RWD glory and move to AWD model.

Do you have approx term/cost of what you have as well?
I bought it from the dealership, used and they offer me an extended warranty through First Automotive. I forget the actual number but I believe it was around 5 grand for 4 years or 24000 miles. Whichever comes first. I think I should have opted for more miles but I didn't want to pay more money at the time

Old 03-01-2019, 10:35 AM
Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Extended Warranty

I'm going to piggy-back on this thread since I haven't found another dealing with the subject. I've a 2013 XJ, bought as a CPO with the Jag warranty. I'm nearing the end of the coverage (end of Mar 2019) and want to purchase some coverage for another 3 years or 36,000 miles. I certainly understand that it will be "insurance" as opposed to an actual "warranty", but I'd like to get it done. However, problems abound! First of all, the list of "terms" is a minefield of exceptions. No bushings, fasteners, or "wear items" as they call it. Unless you take the "Platinum" plan, forget any problems with GPS, radio, hoses or belts. Now the problems. I haven't been able to find a dealer to sell one of these that allows another dealer to work on the car! So if traveling and a problem arises, it's a $100 charge if using a different dealer. So much for traveling. and then there's the cost. Silver coverage $6,500.00, Gold coverage $7,500 (adds some of the technology such as switches, sensors and some seat motors) and finally the Platinum coverage for $8,500, which says adds Nav, radio and comprehensive (what ever that is).

So, there you have it. I'm probably going to pass since the additional charge for using another dealer puts me over the top. I'll have to admit that the car has given me hardly any problems of note. Has anyone actually purchased a policy recently, and if so did it allow use of other dealers? This bit is more than irksome, since we spend parts of the year in different dealer areas.

THANX

Last edited by KingFala; 03-01-2019 at 10:38 AM.
Old 03-01-2019, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by KingFala
I'm going to piggy-back on this thread since I haven't found another dealing with the subject. I've a 2013 XJ, bought as a CPO with the Jag warranty. I'm nearing the end of the coverage (end of Mar 2019) and want to purchase some coverage for another 3 years or 36,000 miles. I certainly understand that it will be "insurance" as opposed to an actual "warranty", but I'd like to get it done. However, problems abound! First of all, the list of "terms" is a minefield of exceptions. No bushings, fasteners, or "wear items" as they call it. Unless you take the "Platinum" plan, forget any problems with GPS, radio, hoses or belts. Now the problems. I haven't been able to find a dealer to sell one of these that allows another dealer to work on the car! So if traveling and a problem arises, it's a $100 charge if using a different dealer. So much for traveling. and then there's the cost. Silver coverage $6,500.00, Gold coverage $7,500 (adds some of the technology such as switches, sensors and some seat motors) and finally the Platinum coverage for $8,500, which says adds Nav, radio and comprehensive (what ever that is).

So, there you have it. I'm probably going to pass since the additional charge for using another dealer puts me over the top. I'll have to admit that the car has given me hardly any problems of note. Has anyone actually purchased a policy recently, and if so did it allow use of other dealers? This bit is more than irksome, since we spend parts of the year in different dealer areas.

THANX
I would cross shop those prices if I were you -- any dealer can sell you the fidelity warranty [including something like a Kia dealer] which may take smaller margins on it. last time I worked with a fidelity warranty, they didn't care where the car was repaired and there were no additional charges but that may have changed.

The following users liked this post:
KingFala (03-02-2019)
Old 03-01-2019, 08:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 187 Posts

I bought Red Shield from dealer not totally happy as the first time I used it the dealer had a hard time getting everything approved. I got a phone to call to record a statement from me with lots of gotcha questions, and they sent an inspector to dealer to see the problems, accused dealer of looking for problems to fix, god forbid a good dealer. One item was in exclusion list in a vary vague way and the dealer gave in on another that we will revisit in a few months. Added 2 weeks to service! If we eventually fix the issue left I will about break even on warranty over the 2 years. These are not cpo and I recomend buying at time of purchase from manufacture as it is cheapest at that point. I would only buy this again if I was buying a car with no warranty. Just because Jag is fixing a problem doesn't mean these companies will.

The following users liked this post:
KingFala (03-02-2019)

Quick Reply: Buying warranty on a used 2014 F-Type