F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buzzing noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 01:36 PM
Received 258 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Buzzing noise

driving around today in my F type R after about half an hour of driving started to hear a buzzing noise coming from dash. the volume seems rpm related as rpm increase so did volume. sounds like an electric razor.

Any ideas?

Old 06-13-2015, 03:45 PM
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by zach05855
driving around today in my F type R after about half an hour of driving started to hear a buzzing noise coming from dash. the volume seems rpm related as rpm increase so did volume. sounds like an electric razor.

Any ideas?
Does it come from the speaker on the pop up vents? Mine started distorting.

Are you using an AUX cable to connect any other devices?

Old 06-13-2015, 04:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 293 Likes on 233 Posts

Zach, can't help with the buzzing, but I want to say that I :icon_toas t: your car collection!

Old 06-13-2015, 10:27 PM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

Any ideas?
Originally Posted by Ggraddy

Do you have anything plugged into one of the cigarette lighter ports? In other cars, I have had some USB phone chargers create a whine in relation to engine revs, which oddly emanates from one of the speakers.

Last edited by IronMike; 06-13-2015 at 10:30 PM.
Old 06-14-2015, 03:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 177 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by TXJagR
Zach, can't help with the buzzing, but I want to say that I :icon_toas t: your car collection!
How do you find the transmission from grip to slip in the MR2?

I liked it, but I remember some motoring journalists getting a bit excited.

Old 06-14-2015, 08:21 AM
Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

Any ideas?
due to the fact of being rpm related it might be a malfunction of the intake sound modulator . Module filters and amplifies certain intake frequencies and leads them to the cabin to get a more pronounced engine sound.
Just an idea , perhaps totally off base.

Regards
Ulrich

Old 06-14-2015, 07:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2015 V6S had a buzz sound coming from the instrument cluster at various rpms from 2500 on up. When the AC was turned off, the buzzing stopped. When the AC was turned back on, the buzzing started again. I concluded that engaging the AC compressor, which is at the front of the engine, must transmit a vibration all the way through to the dash. How could that be? Open the hood and you will see, in the case of the V6, aluminum tubing carrying the refrigerant along the driver's side of the engine. It is clamped to the body near the wheel well. When I disconnected the clamp, allowing the tubing to vibrate freely, the buzzing stopped. Instead of this clamp, I zip tied it to an adjoining black bar so it would have only limited travel. My theory is that the aluminum tubing vibrates all the way from the compressor into the dashboard and rattles something in there at certain rpm resonant frequencies. Better to loosen it and let it vibrate on its own. Your V8 may or may not have this aluminum AC tubing but it is easy to run through this troubleshooting.

The following users liked this post:
anonymousjagman (07-11-2015)
Old 06-15-2015, 05:16 AM
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I heared buzzing noise in the dealer 2014 v8s demo car. It was quite annoying specially when stationary. I asked the salesman about it but he did not have an answer.

Old 06-15-2015, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Ggraddy

Actually had the audio off

Old 06-15-2015, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by IronMike
Do you have anything plugged into one of the cigarette lighter ports? In other cars, I have had some USB phone chargers create a whine in relation to engine revs, which oddly emanates from one of the speakers.
Nothing plugged in, audio turned off.

Old 06-15-2015, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by jfo53
My 2015 V6S had a buzz sound coming from the instrument cluster at various rpms from 2500 on up. When the AC was turned off, the buzzing stopped. When the AC was turned back on, the buzzing started again. I concluded that engaging the AC compressor, which is at the front of the engine, must transmit a vibration all the way through to the dash. How could that be? Open the hood and you will see, in the case of the V6, aluminum tubing carrying the refrigerant along the driver's side of the engine. It is clamped to the body near the wheel well. When I disconnected the clamp, allowing the tubing to vibrate freely, the buzzing stopped. Instead of this clamp, I zip tied it to an adjoining black bar so it would have only limited travel. My theory is that the aluminum tubing vibrates all the way from the compressor into the dashboard and rattles something in there at certain rpm resonant frequencies. Better to loosen it and let it vibrate on its own. Your V8 may or may not have this aluminum AC tubing but it is easy to run through this troubleshooting.

I will give that a try

The following users liked this post:
anonymousjagman (07-11-2015)
Old 06-18-2015, 09:08 PM
Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

I have developed the same exact problem on my F-Type R, and do believe that it only happens when the A/C is on...might be time to take her in...I have a squeaky panoramic roof and a non-functional DVD....this buzzing noise has now put me over the edge. Taking it in next week.

Old 07-11-2015, 11:15 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

This is on my car as well.. i will check and turn off the air when I am in it again this afternoon
I will give that a try

Old 07-11-2015, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 256 Posts
Default Buzzing noise

I heard this sound on a 2015 V6S that I test drove. Had less than 200 miles on it. It was their demo. I noticed that the sound went away with the AC off.

Old 07-11-2015, 02:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

I wonder if it has something to do with the center vent raising/lowering mechanism, if it disappears with the AC off.

Old 07-11-2015, 08:17 PM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

Did anyone else try jfo53's solution (above) - wrt: compressor vibration transmitted to the dash through the hard a/c line?

Old 07-12-2015, 11:08 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Buzzing Still Eliminated on 2015 V6S

I still don't have any more buzzing sound in my 2015 V6S when the engine is revving through its range. If you have a buzz, it is simple to do the diagnosis. Follow the AC aluminum line on the left side of the engine from the firewall toward the radiator. You will see that it is attached to the front of the wheel well by a clamp fastener. Simply unscrew that fastener so that the AC line is free to vibrate at its natural frequencies with engine rpm. If the sound goes away, then you have identified the problem and you go to the dealer to show them. Or, just leave it unfastened. If the buzzing occurs with or without the AC on, then there is a different problem. There are discussions in the forum about buzzing sounds from the left hand speaker in the A pillar, particularly in the 2014s. The factory may have fixed that problem since my 2015 does not have it. None of us should have the experience of having spent oodles of money on a car that has the same flaw as a $15000 4 cylinder subcompact with 50K miles on it. So the Jaguar factory and dealers better pay attention to details like this. The Jaguar factory should have caught this one in development and saved us the hours it took to determine what it was. (My dealer had no idea what it was and would have taken apart the dashboard to find it... a little scary.) Congratulations to Jaguar for designing such an interesting and entertaining car. But, come on, put more sweat in the details please.

Old 08-02-2015, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by jfo53
I still don't have any more buzzing sound in my 2015 V6S when the engine is revving through its range. If you have a buzz, it is simple to do the diagnosis. Follow the AC aluminum line on the left side of the engine from the firewall toward the radiator. You will see that it is attached to the front of the wheel well by a clamp fastener. Simply unscrew that fastener so that the AC line is free to vibrate at its natural frequencies with engine rpm. If the sound goes away, then you have identified the problem and you go to the dealer to show them. Or, just leave it unfastened. If the buzzing occurs with or without the AC on, then there is a different problem. There are discussions in the forum about buzzing sounds from the left hand speaker in the A pillar, particularly in the 2014s. The factory may have fixed that problem since my 2015 does not have it. None of us should have the experience of having spent oodles of money on a car that has the same flaw as a $15000 4 cylinder subcompact with 50K miles on it. So the Jaguar factory and dealers better pay attention to details like this. The Jaguar factory should have caught this one in development and saved us the hours it took to determine what it was. (My dealer had no idea what it was and would have taken apart the dashboard to find it... a little scary.) Congratulations to Jaguar for designing such an interesting and entertaining car. But, come on, put more sweat in the details please.

Spend sometime doing various tests to find the source of the buzzing and it is definitely coming from the AC. I will try to isolate which refrigerant line is causing the problem.

Old 08-02-2015, 08:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Spend sometime doing various tests to find the source of the buzzing and it is definitely coming from the AC. I will try to isolate which refrigerant line is causing the problem.
If loosening a clamp eliminates the buzzing, take it to the dealer for them to resolve. Leaving the line to vibrate freely without clamping will lead to early fatigue failure of the line (cracks) or fittings (seals).

Old 08-03-2015, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by lhoboy
If loosening a clamp eliminates the buzzing, take it to the dealer for them to resolve. Leaving the line to vibrate freely without clamping will lead to early fatigue failure of the line (cracks) or fittings (seals).
I have no intention of leaving the line loose, The aluminum will fatigue for sure. Just have to isolate better. find a vibration absorption clip.

Quick Reply: Buzzing noise