F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camshaft error codes after long drive

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 05:49 AM
Received 150 Likes on 104 Posts
Default Camshaft error codes after long drive

After my drive from San Francisco to Los Angeles this weekend my car threw three codes related to the camshaft P0341, P0346, and P0366. Has anyone experienced these codes before?

Engine performance did feel less performant after the codes went off but maybe it's in my head. The codes went away and eventually returned. Going to take it to dealer but just wanted to see if anyone else encountered this? Going to flip to OEM tune tomorrow and see if still there. I would think they are unrelated.

Old 07-04-2017, 07:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

I'm surprised that P0391 was not also triggered, but it seems the cam timing is off. Could be a loose timing chain or chains, but hard to believe that both heads would go out of whack at the same time (P0341 vs P0366). Put the OEM tune back on and see if you can replicate the fault.

Old 07-04-2017, 01:54 PM

My car battery has been having issues this week as well. It's not hosting a charge even after hours of driving. As soon as I turn off the car it complains about low battery. It's either the battery (which I suspect) or the alternator. I'm getting that replaced next week after my trip to Montreal. Maybe a low charge in the battery on startup is driving this issue as well? Sighhh

Old 07-04-2017, 07:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 196 Posts

I think those are the codes we were getting when the timing chain guides were worn.

Old 07-04-2017, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by JgaXkr
I think those are the codes we were getting when the timing chain guides were worn.
Geez only 8K miles in?

Old 07-04-2017, 10:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by JgaXkr
You mean chain tensiometer? I don't see how one would design a sensor for guides, and how it would be cost effective over simply overeingeering the part.

Old 07-05-2017, 06:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

I guess you will discover the cause of the codes once you take it to the dealer.
Lawrence

Old 07-05-2017, 04:37 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SinF
You mean chain tensiometer? I don't see how one would design a sensor for guides, and how it would be cost effective over simply overeingeering the part.
I think you mean chain tensioner, though I guess I wouldn't be surprised if these cars had tensiometers to throw codes.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:21 AM

Still have not been able to take the car in since I'm out of town until Wed, but before I left, I discovered a fail-safe way to trigger the codes. If I drive my car on an uphill incline and stop and leave it in drive, the exhaust system starts pulsating. The the exhaust system vibrates/pulses hard enough that it starts hitting the undercarriage of the car. It was super scary and it sounds like the car is planning to give up on life. As soon as limps off the incline (power gong in and out) onto a flat surface all seems well again. :scratch head :

Last edited by zmoothg; 07-17-2017 at 10:24 AM.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:59 PM
Veteran Member

Top off your tank and see if it gets better(or gets worse). It might be a bent pickup tube. Had that problem on my Vette at one time. Why you are getting those particular codes...???

Old 07-18-2017, 12:00 AM

No idea. I really need to take it to the dealer when I get back to SF, but they are always so backed up. No idea why I am getting these codes. Started after the long drive to LA, and now seems to physically manifest after I put back on the 200-cell. Not sure if they are related. My dealer over the phone said it could be related to my battery (will replace on Wed), it appears my battery is dying, won't recharge after driving, just enough to crank it, but as soon as i stop the car, the car gives a low battery warning.

Old 07-20-2017, 12:25 PM

The dealership tracked down the problem to low oil. I was a bit under a quart of the recommended level. On inclines (SF hills) it would start knocking and sputtering, power going in and out. After the oil top off everything seems to be smooth again, no check engine lights, no weird behavior on inclines. Would have thought the car would throw a low oil warning?? It is still weird to me that just 1 qt would result in this behavior. I hope it isn't something bigger issue that topping up the oil is covering.

Will continue to monitor closely. I am making the drive from SF to LA this weekend, we will see how well the car does.

Old 07-20-2017, 03:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by zmoothg
The dealership tracked down the problem to low oil. I was a bit under a quart of the recommended level. On inclines (SF hills) it would start knocking and sputtering, power going in and out. After the oil top off everything seems to be smooth again, no check engine lights, no weird behavior on inclines. Would have thought the car would throw a low oil warning?? It is still weird to me that just 1 qt would result in this behavior. I hope it isn't something bigger issue that topping up the oil is covering.

Will continue to monitor closely. I am making the drive from SF to LA this weekend, we will see how well the car does.
Didn't your oil level indicator show it low when you checked ? It certainly should have.

As well, I would be really suspicious of the explanation around the cause and effect you experienced.. if the oil was that low it would be more than a quart and would cause damage, in my opinion.
I would make sure this is well documented.
Lawrence

Old 07-20-2017, 04:42 PM
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Hey Zmooth,

Good thing they catch the low oil. Whatever happened to you happened to me as well before my engine died. Same codes, same problems, I had the Velocity Cats installed too.

I just wished that I was smart enough to look at the oil..

Old 07-20-2017, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mulmur
Didn't your oil level indicator show it low when you checked ? It certainly should have.

As well, I would be really suspicious of the explanation around the cause and effect you experienced.. if the oil was that low it would be more than a quart and would cause damage, in my opinion.
I would make sure this is well documented.
Lawrence
The oil indicator informed me that engine oil was insufficient, that is how I figured out that I needed to add more oil. I just wish the car would have automatically warned me automatically. Everything is running smoothly now.

Originally Posted by JVIII
Hey Zmooth,

Good thing they catch the low oil. Whatever happened to you happened to me as well before my engine died. Same codes, same problems, I had the Velocity Cats installed too.

I just wished that I was smart enough to look at the oil..
The car ran perfectly when on a flat road but displayed these "chugging" system when on an inline, so I intuitively assumed it was related to some liquid changing position versus a static mechanical problem.

Old 07-20-2017, 10:04 PM
Received 25 Likes on 5 Posts

Did the car burn off a quart of oil? or was it low from the last service?

Is the loss of a quart of oil normal for the F-type?

Old 07-21-2017, 07:03 AM
Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

The dealership tracked down the problem to low oil. I was a bit under a quart of the recommended level.
Camshaft error codes due to low oil level are obviously caused by a low oil pressure situation in the engine.
This lack of pressure is caused by the oil pump picking up air which shouldn't happen if you were only
a quart below the recommended level even on a steep incline !
So there might be a calibration error of your electronic dipstick running the engine with less oil volume
as desired.
I would recommend to top up the oil level to full (as shown by the electronic dipstick). Next I would measure the oil
volume by draining the engine to be sure the correct amount of oil is in the engine.
Hopefully your engine isn't already harmed by running without sufficient oil pressure.

Regards
Ulrich

Old 07-21-2017, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by f-driver
Camshaft error codes due to low oil level are obviously caused by a low oil pressure situation in the engine.
This lack of pressure is caused by the oil pump picking up air which shouldn't happen if you were only
a quart below the recommended level even on a steep incline !
So there might be a calibration error of your electronic dipstick running the engine with less oil volume
as desired.
I would recommend to top up the oil level to full (as shown by the electronic dipstick). Next I would measure the oil
volume by draining the engine to be sure the correct amount of oil is in the engine.
Hopefully your engine isn't already harmed by running without sufficient oil pressure.

Regards
Ulrich
I'll be taking the car back to the dealer in a week. I'll have them do exactly what you said and do some more investigation into the low oil pressure issue. The car seems to be driving perfectly fine now but I don't want it to go down the same road as JVIII. Seems he experienced similar symptoms and codes before his engine explosion.