F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ceramic Pro 9H

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 12:07 AM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by polarisnavyxj
If you're not using a microfiber towel, you plan to just blow it clean? I have a high power leaf blower that does nothing but move the water around slowly.
Get a ceramic, quartz or carbon/tungsten coating like MegaTrend from Nanoskin and you'll see 95% of the water sheet right off the surface.

Also, lots of misrepresentation in the leaf blower market. May choose to try another model. Stay away from cordless. You get what you pay for. The smaller the nozzle opening the better the blast velocity.

Old 08-16-2016, 01:25 AM
Received 171 Likes on 123 Posts

Looks great I am about to invest in either 4 coasts of Opti-coat (Ceramic) plus infrared curing, or the same for Brila which is supposedly a silicone/glass coating.

Going to see the guys this afternoon, they have a Grey F-Type with Brila in the shop now.

Old 08-16-2016, 01:32 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have Kamikaze‬ coating on mine and use a Makita DUB182Z 18V cordless blower to dry. It works well and the blower has some juice left even when I'm done drying the car.

Last edited by nonsns3; 08-16-2016 at 01:35 AM.
Old 08-16-2016, 02:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 337 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by IronMike
some needed clarity to a point that several have touched on, but not fully...

Hydrophobic coatings, ceramics, tungsten, etc, provide intensive shine, provide some protection against swirl marks, and some protection (depending on the actual product) against stains from bug juice, bird droppings and hard water spots. However, none of these "coatings" will provide any significant protection against road gravel, flying debris and rock chips.

Conversely, films like Xpel, Suntek, 3M and others are immensely helpful in minimizing the inevitable pitting from gravel, rocks and other airborne debris (though not perfect), and will also protect the paint from swirls and stains -- though the film itself may get swirls and stains -- however the film cannot compete with the coatings as far as intense shine, and for some brands of film, may actually slightly dull the cars finish.

In short, two different solutions for different purposes. Intense Shine vs. Rock Chip Protection.

There is a new generation of lighter weight coatings starting to infiltrate the market that are specially formulated for use over Paint Protection Film. Not generally as durable, protective, or long lasting as the original ceramic coatings, but supposedly they interact better with the film, and are less inclined to accelerate yellowing or hazing of the film... giving a hybrid solution that may be better for on top of surfaces that have been filmed, while the ceramics are most likely superior on surfaces which have not been filmed.

This is all very true, and the shine of the SVR in the pics above is truly remarkable. For durability and protection you apply one layer of ceramic coating, and to add some extra shine and hydrophobic properties on the cheramic coating, you should add a layer or two of hydrophobic coating on top of that.

I bought my R second hand (one year old, 7.700km) and it did have some swirlmarks from being washed by the previous owner. I turned to a proffesional detailer that polished out all the swirlmarks, put on one layer of GTechniq Crystal Serum (ceramic coating), and two layers of EXOv2 (hydrophobic coating).

You can read about the product here (they even use a pic of the F-type on their web-site):

Crystal Serum | Gtechniq.com

The result turned out VERY well, and you find pics of the work and finished result here:

» 2014 Jaguar F-Type R Krokeide Bilpleie

This was one year ago, and my experience so far is that the durability of shine and hydrophobic properties are as good now than when it was done. To wash, clean and dry off the car is just fun, as it has become so easy. There are no new swirlmarks or scratches what so ever.

However it does not give any real protection against stonechips, and I have gotten a few of those on the front and bonnet. For some reason though (maybe the ceramic coating?), the chips are very tiny and nowhere near the size of the chips I have gotten on previous cars.

Which ceramic coating that is the best can most certainly be debated time and time again, and I think there are several good products out there. The only personal experience I have is with the GTechniq (I also had it on my previous VW Touareg), and the reason I chose it was that it came strongly reccomended by several members on another (British) car forum that I have been a member on over many years. I am very happy with it, and would without doubt chosen it again.

My F-type just after detailing a year ago. It looks just as good now.

My Touareg 2 years and 20.000km in all kind of weather after GTechniq was applied

Last edited by Arne; 08-16-2016 at 02:08 AM.
The following users liked this post:
jaguny (11-19-2017)
Old 08-16-2016, 04:20 AM

I have decided on the Brila which is a 2 part coating, the first coat is an inorganic silica glass coat which is then covered by a hydrophobic silicone resin coat.

Old 08-19-2016, 04:08 PM
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I went out and spoke with the Ceramic Pro guy this morning.

He wants $2,500.00

I think the breakdown is as follows (he is going to write me up a detailed estimate),

Paint Correction - 2 Stage with the first stage being a harsher compound to remove all the surface scratches and the second stage to make it shiny and pretty.

$250.00

Car Ceramic Pro Treatment.

$1.300.00

Top treatment.

$150.00

Wheels and calipers.

$200.00 each for a total of $800.00

This is his "off the cuff" estimate and I am sure when I get the official estimate it will go up a bit - don't they always - .

Says he wants to keep it a 5 days.

Current plan is to take it out Monday morning.

Old 08-19-2016, 05:12 PM

Finally something that might be cheaper here.

I an getting paint correction, 2 stage Brila treatment plus Opti pro top treatment, for $1100 AUD and the wheels and calipers for another $260

Would be about $100 cheaper for 4 coats Opti pro, 2 hand applied and two spray gun applied and infra red curing.

Last edited by AnD3rew; 08-19-2016 at 05:15 PM.
Old 08-28-2016, 02:16 AM

Here is one of it at All British day with the Brila coating. Will put up some of the ones done by the detailed when he sends them through

The following 2 users liked this post by AnD3rew:
jaguny (11-19-2017), Mbourne (08-28-2016)
Old 08-29-2016, 05:01 PM
Received 123 Likes on 79 Posts

Mine is at the closest CeramicPro installer to me right now. I'll get it back in a couple of days. I saw another vehicle they did. It is amazing. I'm sold! I got the gold package: lifetime warranty.

Old 08-31-2016, 10:59 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is mine. Full Xpel coating with C-Quartz over top. My previous car was the F-Type Convertible with G-Techniq. I personally find C-Quartz to be more durable.

2017 F-Type R<br/>Full Xpel plus C-Quartz

The following users liked this post:
jaguny (11-19-2017)
Old 09-02-2016, 04:53 PM
Received 123 Likes on 79 Posts

I picked my 2016 F-Type up today from the detail shop that did the Ceramic Pro coating. All I can say is WOW. They did the wheels, brake calipers, wheel wells, engine bay, interior (leather, dash, door jams, sill plates) and of course the exterior and the glass. I'll let them do a detail once a year and apply another coat..... if I do that, lifetime warranty. They gave me some spray to use after I wash it: spray it on, then wipe off with microfiber towel.

I've been detailing my own cars for years, getting them ready for Concours de'Elegance shows and I'm very picky. I must say that the shine on the paint is the best I've ever seen, period. I drove home in the pouring rain, put the car in the garage and the water practically falls off of it. I used 3 different microfiber towels and in 15 minutes, had the car looking like did when I left their shop. Guys, I'm sold. This coating is THE best one on the market. The guys who did mine are ex-New Yorkers (used to work in Will Castro's shop) and they have used all the other products (C-Quartz, etc.) and swear by the Ceramic Pro. Anyway, my total cost was $1800. I'll post some pics later. I'm just so excited, I can't stand it!
Here is a link to my Flickr album. I'll get some more pictures in the sun tomorrow.

https://flic.kr/s/aHskHNdUoZ

Last edited by drbill; 09-02-2016 at 10:13 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by drbill:
Burt Gummer (11-25-2016), LI Jag (11-20-2017), Mbourne (09-02-2016)
Old 11-19-2017, 08:36 AM
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Guys - Instead of starting a new thread, I wanted to revive this thread as a follow-up to this topic for anyone that has 9h LDC applied a year or two years ago to see how it is holding up. How is it doing against chips, dings, and scratches? How is it holding up when washing and are there any issues with the product after a year plus?

I went to a local place recently and they are willing to do a full detail interior/exterior, paint correction, and 9h LDC ceramic application for $1000 US. Considering the detail and paint correction is about $500, the full package for $1000 seems like a solid deal. He is a certified 9h shop and has experience with Jags and other high end vehicles.

I haven't done anything but wash my Ftype since I bought in this past summer and am looking to prep it for winter garage storage.

Any experiences on this product are appreciated.

Old 11-19-2017, 09:11 AM
Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

Had mine for 15 months and it seems just as good as day 1. I use their refresh product, whatever it is called, every 6 months. Easy to apply. I wash, rinse with DI water, and air dry about every month. I used to do it more frequently but the car looks good longer with the ceramic product.
Larry

Old 11-19-2017, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 256 Posts

Ceramic coatings are not for chips, dings, and scratches. They are for gloss and ease of washing. That's it.

Old 11-19-2017, 12:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Nati
Ceramic coatings are not for chips, dings, and scratches. They are for gloss and ease of washing. That's it.
The coatings also allow micro scratches to be buffed out without getting into the clearcoat.

Old 11-19-2017, 01:27 PM
Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by watson6505
Guys - Instead of starting a new thread, I wanted to revive this thread as a follow-up to this topic for anyone that has 9h LDC applied a year or two years ago to see how it is holding up. How is it doing against chips, dings, and scratches? How is it holding up when washing and are there any issues with the product after a year plus?

I went to a local place recently and they are willing to do a full detail interior/exterior, paint correction, and 9h LDC ceramic application for $1000 US. Considering the detail and paint correction is about $500, the full package for $1000 seems like a solid deal. He is a certified 9h shop and has experience with Jags and other high end vehicles.

I haven't done anything but wash my Ftype since I bought in this past summer and am looking to prep it for winter garage storage.

Any experiences on this product are appreciated.
Where in PA are you? I was pretty happy with the guy I went with and he was significantly less expensive than what you were quoted.

Old 11-19-2017, 01:29 PM

Philly suburbs in Bucks County

Old 11-19-2017, 01:30 PM
Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by watson6505
Philly suburbs in Bucks County
The guy is in Lebanon
https://www.youtube.com/user/PresidentialDetails

Old 12-27-2017, 10:23 AM

Just dropped mine off at the local detail shop that specializes in ceramic coatings using this same 9h product. HOWEVER, he said that they are now using a new version that is 10h and comes with a 9yr warranty vs 5yr warranty. He said he will send me 50/50 shots of the progress to see the difference as he applies the 10h. I will share those on this thread if people are interested. In addition, full interior and exterior detail with paint correction for just under $1000. Apparently, the price is increasing starting in 2018, so I figured jump on it now.

This place also offers yearly free maintenance for all 9 years to 'freshen it up' as needed. I agree with the above comments that the ceramic doesn't do a lot about rock chips but it also doesn't hurt.

Planning to get this done, throw the cover on and let her hibernate for the winter in the garage. I am putting on black wheels soon with new MPSS all around. If anyone is interested in the pzeros and/or the stock 19" rims feel free to let me know as I may or may not keep them.

The following 2 users liked this post by watson6505:
Mbourne (12-27-2017), Trevor Walker (12-27-2017)
Old 12-29-2017, 10:58 PM

UPDATE: Got a few pics from the shop on progress. Said he spent 5hrs paint correcting the trunk alone and 42hrs overall. Who knew it needed that much paint correction. He's so pleased with the outcome he's using the car in his marketing materials (blanking out the plate, of course), more pics to come soon but snow expected in the morning so may not have her back for a few days.

Passenger side rear

Passenger side reflection

Front view

The following 2 users liked this post by watson6505:
Don1954 (01-02-2018), Trevor Walker (12-30-2017)

Quick Reply: Ceramic Pro 9H