F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 07:51 PM
Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
Out of respect for the wife and dog - and the conditions of the road - I had little choice but to put the F-Type in "D" with "snow-mode" on. Initially I tried keeping it in "S" but the roads were far too slippery (cars were all over the road) and that just wasn't going to do. (No dash-cam StealthPilot, but here is a picture of the "after-math". It doesn't look like much but you can't see my front license plate can you? What a minute...I don't run with a front plate!). With judicious - firm, steady, and constant - use of the accelorator - and just about everyone else in the "slow" lane, I pretty much had the "fast" lane all to myself. And...made it home in one piece!
Wow. Well done! You showed all those guys who say you have to get AWD to drive in the snow!

Old 01-12-2016, 07:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 293 Likes on 233 Posts

Your baby needs a bath! But it's awesome that you take her out when you get the opportunity!

Old 01-13-2016, 04:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,583 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by StealthPilot
Wow. Well done! You showed all those guys who say you have to get AWD to drive in the snow!
The roads were angry that night my friends!

While I had eagerly anticipated putting my F-Type - and my ContiExtremeContact DWS 06's - through its paces (no pun intended) and through snow, sleet, ice, and wind, between the wife, dog, and conditions [read = poor] last night was just not the right time to do so. Good news is winter is still quite young and there will be plenty of time to push the appropriate envelope before its all over.

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no! And it ain't now. Who's with me?

Thanks StealthPilot and, yes, TXJagR...the baby certainly does need a bath. Just won't be today as I take "her" back on the road and back to work.

Last edited by RickyJay52; 01-13-2016 at 04:35 AM.
Old 01-13-2016, 05:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

The roads were angry that night my friends!

While I had eagerly anticipated putting my F-Type - and my ContiExtremeContact DWS 06's - through its paces (no pun intended) and through snow, sleet, ice, and wind, between the wife, dog, and conditions [read = poor] last night was just not the right time to do so. Good news is winter is still quite young and there will be plenty of time to push the appropriate envelope before its all over.

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no! And it ain't now. Who's with me?

Thanks StealthPilot and, yes, TXJagR...the baby certainly does need a bath. Just won't be today as I take "her" back on the road and back to work.
Jay, Looking forward to the beginning of your next road report, starting with: " we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses"

Old 01-13-2016, 05:53 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Jay, Looking forward to the beginning of your next road report, starting with: " we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses"
We've got a full tank of...

Speaking of gas, what I'm really curious about is...did you ever wonder how far you can go once the gasoline indicates E? (Or, in our case, just a little "o"). I'll let you know.

Best regards,
Elwood

Last edited by RickyJay52; 01-13-2016 at 07:54 AM.
Old 01-13-2016, 06:41 AM
Veteran Member

The journey begins...poised for action (and ready to pounce).

P.S. Drive in was uneventful - in "S" the whole while - but the walk from my garage to my office was treacherous! Apparently the city of Portland, Maine, doesn't believe in plowing. Walking, it turns out, much more dangerous than driving. Go figure, although I wouldn't bother.

Attached Thumbnails Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06-journey-begins.jpg  

Last edited by RickyJay52; 01-13-2016 at 09:45 AM.
Old 01-13-2016, 08:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts
Cool

Well I certainly believe that buying mine and driving it as much as possible means I'm "on a mission from God".....

Old 01-13-2016, 08:30 PM
Veteran Member

For the next experiment, so see exactly how good those tires REALLY are...

Mount a snowplow on the front and throw a few hundred pounds of sand in the back hatch... See how much you get plowed!

Old 01-23-2016, 02:53 PM
Veteran Member

Jay,
Not even your beloved Contis could handle this (but my Wilderness ATs can ). 20" and still falling.

Old 01-23-2016, 08:19 PM
Veteran Member

What a storm. Have 30 inches here just north of you. Road has 5 ft drifts. It's gonna be a while before the Cat can come out to play. Depressing

It's been snowing for 30 hours and it's still coming down...ugh

Old 01-24-2016, 09:55 AM
Veteran Member

My thoughts are with all those pummeled by the recent (if not still current) snow storm. Me? I was out washing my car yesterday under sunny, if cold, skies without a snowflake or drop of rain to contend with. NO, I am not taking pleasure in that, merely stating the facts. Godspeed to you all.

Best regards,
Jay

Old 01-24-2016, 10:34 AM
Veteran Member

My thoughts are with all those pummeled by the recent (if not still current) snow storm. Me? I was out washing my car yesterday under sunny, if cold, skies without a snowflake or drop of rain to contend with. NO, I am not taking pleasure in that, merely stating the facts. Godspeed to you all.

Best regards,
Jay
Jay, I was going to offer a two word response to you (and I had pondered several such options), but your last sentence removed any potential joy in succumbing to that urge. Please get out and have some fun on our behalf.

Lance

Old 01-24-2016, 12:15 PM
Veteran Member

Jay, I was going to offer a two word response to you (and I had pondered several such options), but your last sentence removed any potential joy in succumbing to that urge. Please get out and have some fun on our behalf.

Lance
Glad you had second thoughts as you KNOW I would never relish throwing a written or verbal barb - or snowball - your way. Never! That said, I would normally be happy to "have some fun on your and others behalf" only my F-Type is now totally clean and while I couldn't care all that much in keeping it that way (under normal driving conditions, winter be damned) I was thinking of simply leaving it that way - and I will be covering it in the next day or two - as I leave for Sedona, Arizona on Thursday (2 days wandering about and then 8 days at a spa) with my better half.

Now, about those two words?

Best regards,
Jay

Old 01-24-2016, 01:56 PM
Veteran Member

I just want you all to know that I will have you in my thoughts and prayers while I am out on my Sunday drive, cruising around with blue skies, mid 60s and a light breeze. May you all soon have such fine weather again.

Old 01-24-2016, 03:47 PM
Veteran Member

Now, about those two words?
Jay,
Class Act!

Lance

Old 01-24-2016, 06:21 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by TXJagR
I just want you all to know that I will have you in my thoughts and prayers while I am out on my Sunday drive, cruising around with blue skies, mid 60s and a light breeze. May you all soon have such fine weather again.
Ok I just uttered the "two words" directed at no one in particular

Old 01-25-2016, 09:32 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,063 Likes on 1,369 Posts

I'm jealous - I love a big snow storm on a weekend. Got 1" at my house. Good luck!

Old 01-25-2016, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

After about 12 hours on my tractor, I'm moderately dug out. We had 30", 50 mph wind gusts in our location about 1/2 mile from the Chesapeake Bay, with 3-4 ft, drifts. In the picture below taken a half-hour ago, there's still 4-5 inches of packed powder in the driveway.

Old 01-25-2016, 11:27 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,063 Likes on 1,369 Posts

12 hours!? I recommend a snowblower head for your tractor. That's what I run, though my tractor and driveway (120') may be smaller than yours.

Of course, with really big storms (we had a 30 incher last year, albeit with very light powder), I have to run it twice. Once the snow is deep enough to come over the top of the snowblower (~24"), it gets very messy.

Guess you could argue that this was a rare storm, and your setup shouldn't be dictated by that.

We got 1".

Old 01-25-2016, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
12 hours!? I recommend a snowblower head for your tractor. That's what I run, though my tractor and driveway (120') may be smaller than yours.

Of course, with really big storms (we had a 30 incher last year, albeit with very light powder), I have to run it twice. Once the snow is deep enough to come over the top of the snowblower (~24"), it gets very messy.
Yes, after this experience with just a bucket and a snow blade, I'll be shopping for a snow blower attachment. This picture puts the amount of plowing i had to do in better perspective.

This was very light powder, but the winds and 3-4 ft drifts made it tortuous.

Quick Reply: Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06