Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In control touch pro sim activation

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 04:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 196 Posts
Unhappy In control touch pro sim activation

So now I have an F-Type 2-liter [ V6 / V8 out of reach for mortals due to CO2 taxation..]...

This comes with "all singing & dancing" navisystem "in control touch pro" . But JLR did not provide a datasim, you have to get it yourself. No-problem, if you have a business contract.
Not if you are a private customer as almost no provider sells it seperate in the Netherlands.. After two weeks and 3x wrong simcards .. ... they just send sims for mobile phones..

Now I have a datasim from Vodafone, hurray.... Except for its "Kingsday" tomorrow, and dealer as well as Vodafone are closed...

So I put the sim in an old mobile to be able to read the SMS with the code for 'my vodafone' . Arranged that, put the sim in the slot in the car properly and got to settings...
Once it asked for " enter PIN " , I chose "Yes" , but it never asks for it !!!

So I activated the " connect to internet with car sim " . Then ath the right hand topcorner of the screen the "G" slanted through disappears briefly. .... dotted runing line and then the slashed out G returns..
And there is a "3" under "mobile data"...

I tried everything several times. Leaving the sim, getting out of the car and putting it to sleep, redoing the whole series of actions over-and-over... .. nothing.

Now in a video JLR says a nanosim with a rim making it a microsim is a 'no-no' ; but thats all I can get here. You always get a CC plastic card and push-out the right size..

Then last : it can be that the sim is "3G" . but the F-type only digests "4G' .... Would the "3" in the screen refer to the fact its "only 3G : wont do" ???

Something else that I noticed is that, while my android is connected with BT and selecting " settings and preferences for android devices" it said "you have to connect a BT device first " .

But my android phone already was connectef by BT...

So I now think there is a firmware problem with the car, and nothing wrong with the sim.
The sim did connect to the Vodafone network to recieve the text message with the code to set up "my vodafone" , when I put it in an android phone...

HELP PLEASE...

Last edited by Dan_NL; 04-26-2018 at 04:52 PM.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:22 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

First, it does work with a normal SIM. Providers can easily allow normal SIMs to function in the F-Type. They did it for me, you just have to insist.
Second, the In Control Touch Pro system will ask you for your PIN code. It just takes a while before it does. Toggle in and out of your menu and you’ll see it prompting you eventually.
Third, it’s a 4G system indeed.

Old 04-27-2018, 02:40 AM
Veteran Member

@Fleer. Thanks for your support...

- I started with a normal sim, but the car gives NO response at all;
- Now I have an "odd number" not starting with regular "06" ;
- It only asked one singel time "do you want to enter a PIN" , we said "Yes" and it froze..:
- We toggled in/out the menu, switched the car on/of, started the car several times,
drove around town to get best covarage, removed it from the car, put it in a Samsung S4,
it worked for data in the phone..;

But NOTHING in the car, yes, its fitted with the gold bit up and the cut corner on the LH side... .. its just.. ..an English car...

Old 04-27-2018, 06:58 AM

It did take some time for me too, Dan. I’m also driving a new 2.0 like you, got it since March 31st and it’s a MY’19 with the 10” screen.
Let me try to remember how I got it to work.
I got my normal SIM card from my provider, who indeed stipulates that it’s for mobile phone use (with data), not for data only. If you want data, they’ll sell you a data card and subscription.
However, an IT shop told me there’s no such thing as a specific data card.
So I put the card into the car, even though it’s the mixed (nano/micro) format. Took some time to get it flush, but eventually it stuck.
I immediately got the screen confirmation in mobile settings with the “3” you mentioned earlier, but no connection and, more importantly, no PIN code request. I fiddled around a bit in the menu system and the request did come up after a while when I opened mobile settings again.
Then ... still nothing. No mentioning of the “4G” sign in the right upper corner, only an intermittent searching message in the mobile menu.
I called my operator support and they told me I needed a data card (as explained above) since I’m using the sim in a car and not a phone. Would have been the same with an iPad, he added. I replied that my car is a large phone on wheels. He asked if I also use it for calls. I said yes, which is somewhat right but als not, as he of course referred to the same simcard (and not the one in my phone). He then reset all settings of my simcard from his computer. Apparently they can do that, but I would think I could have done that myself: resetting in order to allow for mobile data.
And .... problem solved. I got the 4G sign in the upper right corner. Next, enter a navigation profile on the F-Type and also on your phone in the Navi app and you’re done. Hope it works for you!

Old 04-27-2018, 07:01 AM
Veteran Member

@Fleer.

Solved it !!!

Put the sim in my old mobile.. .. under 'security' removed setting 'ask for PIN' ...
Put it back in the car.. .. works..

Old 04-27-2018, 07:15 AM

Great to hear!

Old 04-27-2018, 07:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,640 Likes on 3,362 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan_NL
@Fleer.

Solved it !!!

Put the sim in my old mobile.. .. under 'security' removed setting 'ask for PIN' ...
Put it back in the car.. .. works..
Congrats! Very useful info for folks buying the newer models. Out of curiosity, where is the sim slot located on your car?

Old 04-27-2018, 07:32 AM
Veteran Member

Located under the central armrest, in the cubby... [navigation]

In some other place is a factory fitted SIM for tracking and security..

Last edited by Dan_NL; 04-27-2018 at 08:47 AM. Reason: added 2nd sim
Old 04-27-2018, 08:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,640 Likes on 3,362 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan_NL
Located under the central armrest, in the cubby...
Thanks. Does anyone know if a sim is built into the older cars or do the older ones operate on a different technology?

Old 04-27-2018, 06:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,131 Likes on 2,307 Posts

No sim in my MY2015, nav updates etc are done via USB.

Old 04-27-2018, 08:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 156 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
No sim in my MY2015, nav updates etc are done via USB.
I could use to get an update to the NAVI maps on my '17 (with a Feb '16 build completion date) as the interstate by-pass was finished in mid '16 so that main path is not in my NAVI. I expect I will also have to update via USB. Are the maps available online somewhere or do I need to pony up some cash to Jaguar to get a download sent to me?

Old 04-28-2018, 03:58 AM
Veteran Member

I think you have to buy them after 3 or 4 years..

LINK: Jaguar map updates

Last edited by Dan_NL; 04-28-2018 at 05:22 AM.