F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coupé or Convertible??

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 09:31 PM
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Coupé or Convertible??

I like the looks of the coupé better than the convertible, but I have a feeling that the sound with the top down is glorious...??

My wife also has the same image with guys and convertibles, and guys with crotch rockets....if you get my drift...."overcompensating."

Not saying hat is my image, well maybe with some of the tools on crotch rockets.

Just wondering how all of you deciding between the two? I realize I should get what I like best, but I love the look of the panoramic roof coupé, but also would love driving with the top down...

Old 03-16-2016, 09:47 PM
Received 177 Likes on 106 Posts

sound like you need one of each :-)

Old 03-16-2016, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Greggbhill
sound like you need one of each :-)
I will run that past the wifey...lol

Old 03-16-2016, 09:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Convertible is less practical but a lot more fun to drive. If you never had one, you will highly enjoy it. If you need to daily drive it, go with coupe.

Old 03-16-2016, 10:09 PM
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

I really wanted the convertible, as I was coming from a BMW 650 convertible, but the F type had so little trunk space I had to go with the coupe. I'm still a little bit sad about that, but I have made several trips in my R coupe that would have been impossible in the convertible F type. Hope this helps you decide.

Old 03-16-2016, 10:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

The convertible is no less practical than the coupe. No F-Type is "practical," but the convertible is an equally capable "daily-driver." Even though it is a fabric-top, it is heavily insulated and as weather-tight as the coupe. The difference in luggage space is not that substantial, and once you actually use the convertible, you discover it has a lot more luggage space than you would have thought.

The convertible actually has better rearward visibility than the coupe w/ not nearly the blind-spot problem.

Last edited by Foosh; 03-16-2016 at 10:13 PM.
Old 03-16-2016, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by SinF
Convertible is less practical but a lot more fun to drive. If you never had one, you will highly enjoy it. If you need to daily drive it, go with coupe.
My daily driver is a H1, so it is has the storage space, but just as impractical.

However, once the F-Type R is purchased I have a feeling the Hummer will sit for a while....

Old 03-16-2016, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by gotwish
I really wanted the convertible, as I was coming from a BMW 650 convertible, but the F type had so little trunk space I had to go with the coupe. I'm still a little bit sad about that, but I have made several trips in my R coupe that would have been impossible in the convertible F type. Hope this helps you decide.
I had a 650 in the past (loved it), not a convertible though. I was considering a M6, but the F-type has all of my attention as of lately.

Old 03-16-2016, 10:42 PM
Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

I use my convertible as daily driver and love it. Rain, snow, whatever the conditions, I just don't see significant downsides to the convertible even when top is up. And the many days and evenings when you can go top down ... nothing beats the feeling. I drive top down, even when the conditions are not perfect - and when most convertibles I meet on the road have theirs up, but that brings me to an important point:

It is so convenient that the top goes up and down at the click of a button, while you're rolling to a stop sign or a traffic light. It makes me go top down much more than I would do if there were any kind of effort or planning involved.

Some prefer the looks and lines of the coupe, I respect that. The coupe might also be stiffer/have slightly better handling - but I have no complaints at all about handling in the convertible.

If I were to replace mine, I would get the convertible again.

Old 03-16-2016, 10:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 329 Likes on 256 Posts

I think the coupe is a tiny bit prettier (other than the rear spoiler) but it's convertible all the way for me. I restricted my choices to convertible automatics only; Boxster S PDK, M4 Cabriolet, Z4, SLK55AMG

This seems like a fair bit of luggage for a weekend trip to me; jaguar " F type" luggage in Parts & Accessories | eBay

Dave

Old 03-16-2016, 10:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 329 Likes on 256 Posts

I drive with the top down even when it's fairly cool; good heater, seat heaters, heated steering wheel.....all makes it pretty comfy. Then again, mine is a summer only car which is insured from April to Oct.

Dave

Old 03-16-2016, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by jm717
I use my convertible as daily driver and love it. Rain, snow, whatever the conditions, I just don't see significant downsides to the convertible even when top is up. And the many days and evenings when you can go top down ... nothing beats the feeling. I drive top down, even when the conditions are not perfect - and when most convertibles I meet on the road have theirs up, but that brings me to an important point:

It is so convenient that the top goes up and down at the click of a button, while you're rolling to a stop sign or a traffic light. It makes me go top down much more than I would do if there were any kind of effort or planning involved.

Some prefer the looks and lines of the coupe, I respect that. The coupe might also be stiffer/have slightly better handling - but I have no complaints at all about handling in the convertible.

If I were to replace mine, I would get the convertible again.
Thanks for the info...I am sure I won't notice the difference in "stiffness."

Sounds like most of the convertible owners considered the coupé and are happy they bought the vert.

Too bad there isn't a hard top convertable, best of both worked in my eyes. I don't think my butt-dyno would noticed the added weight of powered hardtop....

But yes, the lines on the coupé are gorgeous.

Old 03-16-2016, 11:06 PM

[QUOTE=DPelletier;1423525]I drive with the top down even when it's fairly cool; good heater, seat heaters, heated steering wheel.....all makes it pretty comfy. Then again, mine is a summer only car which is insured from April to Oct.

Dave[/QUOTE

My wife wants me to ask if your hair stays "made up?" Lol (I apoligize in advance for that question)

Old 03-16-2016, 11:17 PM
Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Depends on what you want. I don't care what other people have to say about "compensating."
I already have a Range Rover Sport V8 Dynamic. It's plenty capable & quite practical with luggage space in addition to having a full size spare. I have made it even more capable with AT tires as opposed to the summer street tires it comes with.
I wanted a roadster. I love the F-Type roadster. Therefore, I got a roadster.

I do have a question though & not just to the OP. Why do a lot of men feel the need to get the okey dokey from their wives? If you have the resources to get an F-Type roadster then why get permission? She can get her own car....

Last edited by enfield; 03-16-2016 at 11:19 PM.
Old 03-16-2016, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by enfield
Depends on what you want. I don't care what other people have to say about "compensating."
I already have a Range Rover Sport V8 Dynamic. It's plenty capable & quite practical with luggage space in addition to having a full size spare. I have made it even more capable with AT tires as opposed to the summer street tires it comes with.
I wanted a roadster. I love the F-Type roadster. Therefore, I got a roadster.

I do have a question though & not just to the OP. Why do a lot of men feel the need to get the okey dokey from their wives? If you have the resources to get an F-Type roadster then why get permission? She can get her own car....
Even though I make the money and she keeps the house clean (we have no kids), I appreciate her input....I guess that's my reason. I wouldn't need to ask for permission.....but if I was torn between a coupe and a convertable, I would like to hear her input.

Some people live two separate lives while married, separate banking, etc...we do not. So even though I make the money, I still feel some obligation to get my wife's opinion on a 100+k purchase, it's the right thing to do in my eyes....

Old 03-17-2016, 12:12 AM
BMo
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Convertible! Amplifies the fun factor of this car x 10!!

Old 03-17-2016, 12:43 AM
Received 172 Likes on 124 Posts

Coupe is prettier, convertible is more fun. Depends why you are buying it. For me it was all about fun.

Old 03-17-2016, 01:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,640 Likes on 3,362 Posts

Originally Posted by enfield
I'm guessing you haven't been married for close to 40 years, nor will you ever (sorry for the cheap shot). Only two words needed for a successful marriage:"Yes, dear!". It's not necessary to follow her ruling, but you damned well better run it past her for her opinion first.

Last edited by Unhingd; 03-17-2016 at 01:11 AM.
The following users liked this post:
jag13 (03-18-2016)
Old 03-17-2016, 01:46 AM
Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Our F-Type Convertible is my Wife's daily and our weekend Car. I was more drawn towards the Coupe' but she wanted the Convertible, so that was settled. I'm really happy she made the choice that she did, Driving with the Top down adds another dimension to the Car.

I'm from the UK so now I'm living in SoCal we have the perfect year round climate for a Convertible, I especially like it early mornings and evenings.

Our other Car is a New Range Rover Sport, it's practical, a Cocoon like Drive and just brilliant. They are the perfect contrast. And the same color. Even from the same Family.

JLR are now the biggest Car Maker in the UK, and they deserve it.

Old 03-17-2016, 03:51 AM
Received 172 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Uk2usa
Our F-Type Convertible is my Wife's daily and our weekend Car. I was more drawn towards the Coupe' but she wanted the Convertible, so that was settled. I'm really happy she made the choice that she did, Driving with the Top down adds another dimension to the Car.

I'm from the UK so now I'm living in SoCal we have the perfect year round climate for a Convertible, I especially like it early mornings and evenings.

Our other Car is a New Range Rover Sport, it's practical, a Cocoon like Drive and just brilliant. They are the perfect contrast. And the same color. Even from the same Family.

JLR are now the biggest Car Maker in the UK, and they deserve it.
I also have a nice pair of Tata's, F type convertible and Land Rover Discovery.

Quick Reply: Coupé or Convertible??