F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Customized" Lowering Springs - 2015 Rwd R Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2019, 05:30 PM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Mpowerr
On mine it was about 360mm front and 348mm rear measuring from wheel center to fender edge vertically.
Thanks. Which springs? On mine as it sits now, it is 13.5" front and rear from wheel center to fender, which is 343mm.

Old 06-09-2019, 06:45 PM
Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark G
Thanks. Which springs? On mine as it sits now, it is 13.5" front and rear from wheel center to fender, which is 343mm.

VAP, I posted a pic. Post #11.

Old 06-09-2019, 07:04 PM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

VAP, I posted a pic. Post #11.
Ok thanks, that looks good. Those are the AWD springs? Mine may be a touch too low in the front for clearance, so I'm considering a swap. Yours is over 1/2 inch higher the front, but it doesn't look like it.

Last edited by Mark G; 06-09-2019 at 07:24 PM.
Old 06-09-2019, 08:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

On mine it was about 360mm front and 348mm rear measuring from wheel center to fender edge vertically.
For reference: mine measures exactly 10mm less on each with the H&Rs.

Old 06-29-2019, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 173 Posts

Does anyone know if you cant cut half a coil off of the rear spring?

Old 06-29-2019, 05:57 PM
Received 236 Likes on 173 Posts

Haven't worked with the rears on my car yet. What you'd want to know is if the spring perch in the rear can rotate as it does on the front, I took a look at my car and it appears that it does, so trimming should be possible. Keep in mind lowering the rears of the car too much can result in excessive inner tire tread wear, and I think I read its a bit labor intensive to remove the interior plastic pieces to gain access to the top of the spring area for removal.

Old 06-29-2019, 06:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,114 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Originally Posted by Chawumba
Haven't worked with the rears on my car yet. What you'd want to know is if the spring perch in the rear can rotate as it does on the front, I took a look at my car and it appears that it does, so trimming should be possible. Keep in mind lowering the rears of the car too much can result in excessive inner tire tread wear, and I think I read its a bit labor intensive to remove the interior plastic pieces to gain access to the top of the spring area for removal.
Yep, it's a minor PITA to remove the hatch trim panels to gain access to the rear strut top mount bolts.
You can either "do it by the book" and strip out damn near every interior panel under the hatch, or you could take the shortcut I did - just remove the bottom panels (easy peasy) and a couple of Christmas tree clips holding the two side panels down then pull the side panels "out and up" to give you enough room to reach underneath to remove the Styrofoam padding blocks which cover the strut bolts. Then you can jam the side panels up just enough to get a socket on the bolts and Bob's your uncle.
This is what I did to prepare for the shop to fit my VAP springs (to save a heap of labour charge), I showed the mechanic what I had done and he was quite happy with it.
The only downside was that I couldn't get one of those Styrofoam pieces out without snapping it in half (they are very brittle) but the two pieces went back in OK and no-one will ever see the break. With a "nimble" helper it should be possible to get those pieces out without breaking either of them.

Old 06-29-2019, 11:37 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Chawumba
Thanks, I'll take a look myself. I did install the Eibach's myself, but I just don't remember what the springs look like. I'll try to take a look. Regarding the rear panels, yup, I do remember that taking them off is nothing but fun fun fun.

Old 07-07-2019, 11:22 AM
Veteran Member

Reporting back that the rears can indeed be cut.

Old 05-09-2022, 12:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hello, did any of you cut the oem springs at the rear or at the front?