Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead Battery ::FURIOUS::

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 11:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,187 Likes on 2,351 Posts

Originally Posted by Stohlen
My guess is that the newer models with the single battery start stop systems are the only ones effected by this.
You could be on to something.
I disabled the stop/start system the day after I picked up the car, by disconnecting the earth lead from the secondary battery.
For those with later models with a single battery, I wonder if those who have disabled the stop/start have OBD2 port related battery problems.
Put another way, maybe stop/start plus OBD2 plug ins = battery drain problems, disabled stop/start = no such problems.
Why anyone would put up with stop/start intrigues me given that the $ savings would be tiny bordering on zero in real world conditions.

Old 12-21-2017, 06:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,659 Likes on 3,365 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Strange.
I regularly plug in a code reader (iCarsoft i930) to the OBD2 port, and I occasionally plug in an elm327 to connect to the Torque app on my phone, I have never disconnected or reset the battery, and I have never had a single battery problem and that's with the original now three year old battery.
The only thing that I can think of is that when I lock the car I always double lock it, and I do that every single time I get out of the car for any more than a couple of minutes.

Edit - and three sessions with the VTech tool from VAP.
Stranger yet is that this problem on my car went away after they applied the "User Experience Enhancement" Campaign. (no such thing as a "double lock" on the U.S. models).

Old 12-22-2017, 02:33 AM
Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
You could be on to something.
I disabled the stop/start system the day after I picked up the car, by disconnecting the earth lead from the secondary battery.
For those with later models with a single battery, I wonder if those who have disabled the stop/start have OBD2 port related battery problems.
Put another way, maybe stop/start plus OBD2 plug ins = battery drain problems, disabled stop/start = no such problems.
Why anyone would put up with stop/start intrigues me given that the $ savings would be tiny bordering on zero in real world conditions.
I think this may be it. I have a 2016my with single battery and not yet disabled stop start, if I plug anything into obd port I have to disconnect battery to reset otherwise it will drain over about 2 days. Over Christmas vacation I may try to disable stop start and see if the problem persists or not

Old 12-22-2017, 05:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,659 Likes on 3,365 Posts

Originally Posted by 4x4uk
I think this may be it. I have a 2016my with single battery and not yet disabled stop start, if I plug anything into obd port I have to disconnect battery to reset otherwise it will drain over about 2 days. Over Christmas vacation I may try to disable stop start and see if the problem persists or not
Did you ever have the enhancement campaign applied to the car?

Old 12-22-2017, 06:50 AM
Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

its in today getting error with SOS system fixed. ie new telemetry unit. According to Main dealer there are no outstanding updates they were all done with first service in october