Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Detailing Delight F-Type Results and Products

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 04:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts
Default Detailing Delight F-Type Results and Products

Had a great afternoon, and have the results of some recommended products that have never let me down with multiple cars, and the F-Type never looked so good. Enjoy!!!

Two awesome products, the first is a Swiss product for the rims, which once clean, waxes them and slows the dust from accumulating. The second is Zheno Leather treatment and cleaning product. I have been using for years. Awesome products for babying your cars.

Rims look clean and awesome as a result of the Swiss Product

Used a Paint sealer, called Wolfghangs, which I used on my Mercedes with great results. Few pictures to follow

Seats are clean and the stitching once again looks great off of the Red seats

Old 04-26-2015, 04:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 209 Likes on 186 Posts

I like Chemical Guys waterless car wash and their new tire gel which doesn't come off on car and lasts a few weeks. I've used Wheel Wax and got similar results as you. Love that red with black!

The following users liked this post:
slojotaa (04-26-2015)
Old 04-26-2015, 05:27 PM
Veteran Member
Default Audio Question that Nobody can Answer - Irritating JLR and Meridian

Sorry, meant to start a new thread. Will do so now! Apologies.

Last edited by slojotaa; 04-26-2015 at 05:30 PM.
Old 04-26-2015, 06:14 PM
Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by bjg625
I like Chemical Guys waterless car wash and their new tire gel which doesn't come off on car and lasts a few weeks. I've used Wheel Wax and got similar results as you. Love that red with black!
I can see using the waterless car wash in a pinch. Do you use it on a regular basis and never wash the car with water? It seems you would either be constantly having to change towels during the process or risk scratching the paint from the dirt particles being picked up.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

I tried the Swissvax on my M3 wheels, and couldn't tell a bit of difference in brake dust accumulation.

The best money I've ever spent on a wheel cleaning product are in the link below. "Wheel Woolies" allow you to clean in inner surface of the wheels without dismounting them. I've found that Dawn dishwashing liquid and warm water works wonders with these.

Wheel Woolies Wheel Brushes

RickyJay52 (04-27-2015)
Old 04-27-2015, 08:16 AM
Veteran Member
Default Interesting perspective and great find

Originally Posted by Foosh
I tried the Swissvax on my M3 wheels, and couldn't tell a bit of difference in brake dust accumulation.

The best money I've ever spent on a wheel cleaning product are in the link below. "Wheel Woolies" allow you to clean in inner surface of the wheels without dismounting them. I've found that Dawn dishwashing liquid and warm water works wonders with these.

Wheel Woolies Wheel Brushes
Hi Foosh....I waited for your response to the opposite, which is what you are really good at. It is annoying most of the time, informative some of the time, and on this one you hit a "Home Run" with Wheel Woolies. However, I have been using this product on my SL550, Audi A7, and other cars to my satisfaction...., however I guess it is the amount of brake dust that is the difference.

As for the Wheel Woolies, I just purchased them and see them as an excellent way of cleaning the wheels where no fingers can go without taking them off. ,

With the above said...., the Swiss Wax is the way to go for me and has been a proven product on multiple cars. BTW, it is not cheap stuff at all either.

Have a wonderful week, and thanks for the tip, very helpful on something so simple.

Old 04-27-2015, 09:31 AM
Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts

Keep the Dawn soap off the rest of the car, it will strip any sealant or wax off your car.

Old 04-27-2015, 10:08 AM
Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

Keep the Dawn in your kitchen....

Here's an extract from one, of a series of, unbiased “Detailing Technical Papers” © TOGWT ™ Ltd Copyright 2002-2009, all rights reserved:

Dawn® and similar type washing liquids chemistry relies primarily on detergent and surfactant technology. This type of chemistry has advanced to the point that it can be engineered to specific soils (i.e. organic grease) Detergent and soap chemistry and product formulation is a lot more complicated than this, suffice it to say; modern car wash formulations are automotive soil specific.

I would not recommend using a harsh dish washing detergent such as Dawn® on a regular basis, as they contain a degreaser, although most of them are approx pH 8.0 the other ingredients will tend to oxidize the paint system and emulsify, breakdown and leach out oils found in rubber molding, trim and the paint system, which causes the plasticizers to dry out and oxidize, causing them to lose their flexibility.

The MSDS indicates that this product contains sodium hydroxide, which is highly alkaline the same ingredient used in engine degreasers to chemically ‘burn’ hydrocarbon oils and grease from engine surfaces (sodium hydroxide) it will severely stain aluminium, magnesium, etc. It will emulsify, breakdown and leach out oils naturally found in your paint, and also any oils you have applied in the way of a polish or glaze.

Generally you should avoid the use of household cleaning products for automotive detailing as they are formulated for an entirely different type of cleaning.

[Your car surface and the dirt that gets on it are a lot different from the food soils and dishes that dish washing liquids clean effectively. We don't recommend them for cleaning your car] [Proctor and Gamble]

Old 04-27-2015, 11:07 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SoCalJagS
Keep the Dawn soap off the rest of the car, it will strip any sealant or wax off your car.
Yes, I know. Everything else gets a quality car wash product, and is hand-washed only. However, Dawn is particularly good a cutting through grimy brake dust. My post was with regard to WHEELS ONLY!!!!!

EDIT: And BTW, Dawn is a hell of a lot more gentle than any kind of brake dust cleaner.

Last edited by Foosh; 04-27-2015 at 11:12 AM.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:32 AM

EDIT: And BTW, Dawn is a hell of a lot more gentle than any kind of brake dust cleaner.
Dawn is NOT more gentle than dedicated wheels cleaners such as Sonax, P21S & Griot's.

You may be confusing your comment with "brake cleaner" - which should never be used on wheels

Old 04-27-2015, 11:39 AM
Veteran Member

Uh no, I'm not confusing my comment with "brake cleaner."

Do you have a reference and chemical analysis that supports your assertion?

Last edited by Foosh; 04-27-2015 at 11:42 AM.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:43 AM

Dawn:
The MSDS indicates that this product contains sodium hydroxide, which is highly alkaline the same ingredient used in engine degreasers to chemically ‘burn’ hydrocarbon oils and grease from engine surfaces (sodium hydroxide) it will severely stain aluminium, magnesium, etc.

Old 04-27-2015, 11:47 AM
Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts

You should definitely move to a dedicated wheel cleaner for the long term health of the finish. I personally like the Auto Finesse products.

Joz132 (04-27-2015)
Old 04-27-2015, 11:53 AM
Veteran Member

Yes, bare aluminum, magnesium, etc. I can't imagine it being harmful to a painted, clear-coated finish other than to strip wax off the surface.

In fact, the instructions for detailing cars commonly includes instructions to wash with Dawn to strip off old waxes and polishes, followed by clay bar treatment, and followed by reapplying said waxes and polishes.

However, I'm listening to what you said and will also be interested in hearing other views.

Old 04-27-2015, 12:14 PM
Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts

You won't find better products than these.

Adam's Polishes | Premium Car Care Supplies

Old 04-27-2015, 12:19 PM
Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts

Yes, I know. Everything else gets a quality car wash product, and is hand-washed only. However, Dawn is particularly good a cutting through grimy brake dust. My post was with regard to WHEELS ONLY!!!!!

This is not true. You are much better off with a product like SOnax. Plus the dawn will strip any paint protection from what is essentially a painted surface.

I think wheel wax is important, or even better apply a permanent coating like Optiguard/Optipro.

Personally I think the Swissvax wheel wax helps with brake dust. There are some even better products out there but I tend to hate aerosol products so avoid them.

Old 04-27-2015, 12:20 PM
Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts

this is a decent thread about the effects of using dawn as a car wash.

Using Dawn or something similar to wash car

Old 04-27-2015, 12:21 PM

I'll just end with this...

There are major problems with many "household" products that some people use as a car wash. Dish detergents (Dawn Liquid, etc.) may be used, but realize that these products are designed to remove animal or vegetable fat from fired ceramic.

They are hard on the paint, as well as other automotive surfaces. They will strip out the emollient oils from the paint and dry out trim. If you enjoy re-waxing weekly and significantly ageing your paint (and other areas of your vehicle) then dish detergent is for you.

I would keep Dawn away from my wheels.

Just my 2 cents

Foosh (04-27-2015)
Old 04-27-2015, 12:29 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Joz132
I'll just end with this...

There are major problems with many "household" products that some people use as a car wash. Dish detergents (Dawn Liquid, etc.) may be used, but realize that these products are designed to remove animal or vegetable fat from fired ceramic.

They are hard on the paint, as well as other automotive surfaces. They will strip out the emollient oils from the paint and dry out trim. If you enjoy re-waxing weekly and significantly ageing your paint (and other areas of your vehicle) then dish detergent is for you.

I would keep Dawn away from my wheels.

Just my 2 cents
Let me just say, thanks! No reason to end it, and I appreciate the education.

The large jug of Sonax wheel cleaner has been ordered from Amazon. This is why I participate on car forums because I often learn new things.

Joz132 (04-27-2015)
Old 04-27-2015, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member
Default My Dad......Yes, that Generation of great practical Thinkers

My dad was an amazingly great thinker, product of the depression and what I think was the greatest generation. Here is what he did, and I love it, and it works today like a charm:

1. - Used to bring a bucket of "warm" water from the house with a "soft sponge" and "towel over his shoulder". I picture my best friend (may he RIP) doing it like it was today!!!
2. - I use the water on the car regularly, and softer than a sponge applicator to avoid scratching it.
3. - I dry with a nice "softer than a babies behind" absorber
4. - I use the Wolfghang product which is flawless and creates a shine that is "perfect" with no swirls or any other issues (unless of course you bring it out before the 12 hour curing, and then it is a problem)
5. - I use the leather cleaner/treater (which didn't also exist then, we had no leather in a "Chevrolet", LOL!!!! My cars look awesome inside as a result
6. - If you clean your wheels regularly, the dust comes right off, and applying the wax is perfect.........

It is this simple. BTW< I worked for a CPG company, and know that surfactants are nasty and differ product to product. Hell, Ivory as an example was an accident and it floats due to the surfactant level contained in it, discovered years ago. I don't put anything else foreign on a car, and the only add is the wheel brushes that I bought this AM to save my 10 little applicators (AKA my fingers)!!!

Quick Reply: Detailing Delight F-Type Results and Products