Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dilemma....

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 05:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
Get the M5 if you want to blend in with many other similar cars. The good news is that only you and other men will know what that M stands for. While women are throwing themselves on a Jaguar.
4-seater gives the sensation of driving for Uber without the paying customers. And you get to compete with all the other 4-door rice burners and such that want to race you at the light.
My brother went from M5 to Ftype, he was a BMW devotee, he thanks me for saving him from ubiquity and old age.
You are indeed a scholar and a gentleman.

The following users liked this post:
Queen and Country (03-18-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 09:25 PM
Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

Believe me...I love the uniqueness that used to be Jaguar...but I wish there was a real XFR to compete.

Old 03-21-2019, 05:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

This may help.

There are 2 big insurmountable problems with a 4door car.
  1. Its essentially a box due to the headroom requirements for rear passengers. You simply cannot make a beautiful box, yeah it may look decent for a couple of years and then it looks like all the other taxis. Look at any BMW 4 door from 3 years ago. So its novelty is even shorter lived than any 2-door car could ever be. But the FT SVR is a work of art that will endure the test once you get past the 7-year itch.
  2. The barrier to entry is very low on a 4 door car. With a coupe you cant really be a father of 3 and only have enough money for 1 car. This means just about any douchebag can buy a 4 seater. In fact the only barrier to buying a 4 door car is that you not have a family of 8. You even have to be relatively fit physically to own a low-sitting coupe.

Old 03-22-2019, 06:56 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,384 Likes on 1,051 Posts

...You even have to be relatively fit physically to own a low-sitting coupe.
Er, not necessarily, but owning and using are different matters!

The following 2 users liked this post by scm:
baldguy (03-27-2019), Queen and Country (03-22-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 06:48 PM

The original XFR was beautiful inside and out....best looking 4-door in my opinion.

Update: I drove the M5 today. It's like meeting a girl that has it all on paper and when you're out with her ...you feel like she's awesome and your Mom will love her but you're not sure and you don't know why.

M5 feels so well built though. Felt like I was driving this bomb that wants to be unleashed...Problem was that when I got on it ... it was subtle, nuanced...super fast and sublime but no real fireworks. What's ironic...is that when you drive it at slow speed it feels more exciting because it feels like it's wound up and ready to go. Then when you go....it actually feels smoother because it's tuned for 90 mph. Don't get me wrong ...the car is really nice and it's a lot for the money....I just expected to be kicked in the stomach ...didn't happen.

I love my SVR....

Old 03-23-2019, 02:29 AM
Veteran Member

Germans dont do visceral kick in the stomach- that's a disobedient machine to them.
That's why you wont find a single piece of music from Germany that does the same.

You want a car from a nation that was singing this song when they designed it. (its the national anthem)

or this one...the lead singer owns a Project 7. Jaguar fanatic.

The following 2 users liked this post by Queen and Country:
Mbourne (03-25-2019), Misujerr (03-25-2019)
Old 03-23-2019, 08:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

There is nothing like a bunch of geriatrics rocking out.
(Jay and I both get it)

Old 03-23-2019, 10:56 AM
Banned
Received 424 Likes on 291 Posts
Old 03-23-2019, 01:43 PM
Received 139 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by XFactoR
The original XFR was beautiful inside and out....best looking 4-door in my opinion.

Update: I drove the M5 today. It's like meeting a girl that has it all on paper and when you're out with her ...you feel like she's awesome and your Mom will love her but you're not sure and you don't know why.

M5 feels so well built though. Felt like I was driving this bomb that wants to be unleashed...Problem was that when I got on it ... it was subtle, nuanced...super fast and sublime but no real fireworks. What's ironic...is that when you drive it at slow speed it feels more exciting because it feels like it's wound up and ready to go. Then when you go....it actually feels smoother because it's tuned for 90 mph. Don't get me wrong ...the car is really nice and it's a lot for the money....I just expected to be kicked in the stomach ...didn't happen.

I love my SVR....
I took a friend's M4 competition pack for a day last summer when I was still trying to decide which car I wanted next. While it had many positives, my big gripe was that, no matter how big the number on the speedo got, I never felt like I was going fast (good recipe for losing one's licence!). When he asked what I thought about it I summarized my feelings by saying it "felt like a video game". Point, shoot, go fast... but it didn't feel real enough. I know there are legions of bmw fans; these are just my feelings.

Old 03-23-2019, 02:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by Luc Lapierre
I took a friend's M4 competition pack for a day last summer when I was still trying to decide which car I wanted next. While it had many positives, my big gripe was that, no matter how big the number on the speedo got, I never felt like I was going fast (good recipe for losing one's licence!).
I get it. My NA/6 Miata is the opposite. It can feel fast at 35mph.

Queen and Country (03-26-2019)
Old 03-23-2019, 10:09 PM

I don’t need to feel every pebble. Honestly, I think there is too much road and wind noise on the F-Type. It should glide more than it does. That said, the M5 felt too disconnected.

i miss my XFR....even the XJR is more fun...

Old 03-24-2019, 12:45 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Germans dont do visceral kick in the stomach- that's a disobedient machine to them.
n_GFN3a0yj0
well, my V8 RS5 was more visceral than my v6 F Type, the same goes for my former E92 M3. I giess the issue now is with the new turbo engines where they lose viscerality
Jaguar will lose it too with their new turbo engines, turbos are muted and not responsive

Old 03-24-2019, 08:15 AM
Banned

I don’t need to feel every pebble. Honestly, I think there is too much road and wind noise on the F-Type. It should glide more than it does. That said, the M5 felt too disconnected.

i miss my XFR....even the XJR is more fun...
Your comment about pebbles reflects my feelings about the F-Type on anything other than 18" wheels; mine rides like a dream and glides as you say as much as one could expect for a two seater, and I'm comparing the ride to my previous Jags (XJ6, XJ8 and XF).. I agree that there is an excessive amount of road noise, particularly from the rear wheels, which I intend to address with the dealer at my first year maintenance appointment next month. As for wind noise, there is none, but that may be because mine is a coupe.
I could not be more pleased with my choice of this car as my daily driver--an exquisite balance of power, comfort, style, economy and ego satisfaction.

Old 03-24-2019, 08:19 AM
Banned

Brava, your comment that "turbos are muted and not responsive" truly reflects my experience with a twin-turbo Mas. Ghibli. In my everyday driving the turbos may as well have been deactivated; they didn't spool up until 3k RPMs and I rarely availed myself of their boost.

Old 03-25-2019, 02:58 PM

I have a coupe and the cabin isolation is subpar probably to give it that sports car vibe. Should be much quieter than it is except for the exhaust.

Old 03-25-2019, 07:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

Thats actually quite good!

Old 03-26-2019, 09:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

I have a coupe and the cabin isolation is subpar probably to give it that sports car vibe. Should be much quieter than it is except for the exhaust.
Disable the symposer. It takes two minutes to do and just as little to reverse, although I can't imagine doing so. All that thing does is add disembodied noise in an obnoxious way.

Old 03-26-2019, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Brava
well, my V8 RS5 was more visceral than my v6 F Type, the same goes for my former E92 M3. I giess the issue now is with the new turbo engines where they lose viscerality
Jaguar will lose it too with their new turbo engines, turbos are muted and not responsive
Is a FTV6 visceral compared to M3....let me get to it.

Well the misplaced viceralness in E92 is just a byproduct of a power figure they were trying to reach.
You can almost visualize it.
The German engineer has a gun held to his head to hit a target figure. This is not a car that will be purchased by the last remaining aficionado who understands and wants progressive acceleration (never running out), authority (having power in any gear at any speed)
This is a car that has to sell on paper to a much wider audience.

whereas Nigel had been encouraged to have a pint or two for lunch to boost creativity. And design a car that appeals to the aficionado who is as rare as hen's teeth.
Jaguar typically uses a lot of technology and tricks, some of it groundbreaking to achieve a certain power delivery characteristic and character. The low end torque and 50-70mph(overtaking and on demand power) times are just astronomical, (in my 5.0 R its 1.9 secs, twice as quick as Tesla and Bmw M3, RS8 v10 Plus 2.3secs )
They took a different route with the FTV6, its more tuned and catered towards the purist who enjoys linear power and balance and affordability. Its not attempting 'visceral' charge of a lion- its a nimble cheetah.

As per the future of catering to enthusiasts; turbos vs superchargers....
At the moment, the future of cars and enthusiasts is a dead as Jazz. Staying alive, making suvs and electric cars is the name of the game.
However, have a look at Jaguar's new revolutionary electronic valve engine (i.e entirely camless). It has the ability to rewrite the book on visceral, even with turbo.

Old 03-26-2019, 12:25 PM
Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

Let's get back to the original question, slightly restated. Do I want a blonde, brunette or red head? Big ***** or small? Tall or short? Slender or curvy? Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.......

Cars or women, they are all different. The good news is that with cars you can have more than one and the other cars don't get mad when you leave them at home.

Old 03-26-2019, 02:00 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,384 Likes on 1,051 Posts

... its a nimble cheetah.
Er, wrong cat! If you really want a cheater, go to VW.

Quick Reply: Dilemma....