F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does Anyone Regularly Track or Auto Cross?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 09:10 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Does Anyone Regularly Track or Auto Cross?

As mentioned in another thread, my Cayman S has been totalled in an accident (may she rest in peace). LOVED that car. Currently have an FType S, but never tracked or Auto X ed it, and would love to hear feedback from anyone who has. I'm just not certain the F is suited to it, nor robust enough for it.

Old 04-26-2016, 08:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

No problems so far. Car is heavy and will slide a bit when pushed, but with RWD and manual you can more than make up for it. Torque vectoring works really well, much easier to turn the car than you'd expect. My S with adjustable suspension feels firmly planted with minimal lean. My upgraded brakes are phenomenal, designed to stop heavier R-type they are even better on lighter S. PZeroes that come stock are not right for this car. Unfortunately, torque curve is very uneven, so you have to high-rev to get the most out of it. F-type S isn't as fast as C7, M4 or 911 but not categorically, so with driver's skill you can pass these cars on the track.

I feel F-type MT is driver's car. It takes more skill to get most of it, but it is also more rewarding.

Last edited by SinF; 04-26-2016 at 08:29 AM.
Old 04-26-2016, 08:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,652 Likes on 3,362 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
I feel F-type MT is driver's car. It takes more skill to get most of it, but it is also more rewarding.
+1.

Old 04-26-2016, 12:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
No problems so far. Car is heavy and will slide a bit when pushed, but with RWD and manual you can more than make up for it. Torque vectoring works really well, much easier to turn the car than you'd expect. My S with adjustable suspension feels firmly planted with minimal lean. My upgraded brakes are phenomenal, designed to stop heavier R-type they are even better on lighter S. PZeroes that come stock are not right for this car. Unfortunately, torque curve is very uneven, so you have to high-rev to get the most out of it. F-type S isn't as fast as C7, M4 or 911 but not categorically, so with driver's skill you can pass these cars on the track.

Unless something has changed, torque vectoring only comes w/ the electronic LSD on the R model. You have a mechanical LSD.

Max torque is actually in the 4500 rpm range, which I call the moderate rev range, and then it falls off pretty hard, so high revs aren't going to help on that score.

Old 04-26-2016, 12:53 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Foosh
Unless something has changed, torque vectoring only comes w/ the electronic LSD on the R model. You have a mechanical LSD.

Max torque is actually in the 4500 rpm range, which I call the moderate rev range, and then it falls off pretty hard, so high revs aren't going to help on that score.
Torque Vector Braking does indeed come with the super performance brake package on the V6S.

Old 04-26-2016, 04:07 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Torque Vector Braking does indeed come with the super performance brake package on the V6S.
Yes, you're right after going back and checking, but the JLR literature does get confusing. The quote below from the F-Type brochure is what I was thinking of.

"F-TYPE R invites enthusiastic driving. Its supplemental Torque Vectoring technology provides controlled braking on the inside rear wheel, at the same time as feeding more power to the outside rear wheel, to help increase steering performance and inspire even greater driver confidence. The system works in conjunction with the F-TYPE R’s Electronic Active Differential to improve the cornering capabilities and driver control."

Old 04-26-2016, 05:37 PM
Veteran Member

Yes, you're right after going back and checking, but the JLR literature does get confusing. The quote below from the F-Type brochure is what I was thinking of.

"F-TYPE R invites enthusiastic driving. Its supplemental Torque Vectoring technology provides controlled braking on the inside rear wheel, at the same time as feeding more power to the outside rear wheel, to help increase steering performance and inspire even greater driver confidence. The system works in conjunction with the F-TYPE R’s Electronic Active Differential to improve the cornering capabilities and driver control."
Option C37F: Limited Slip Differential and Torque Vectoring (is actually standard on the V6S regardless of brakes)
Option C37D: Electronic Active Differential and Torque Vectoring (R & SVR)

Old 04-26-2016, 06:31 PM

I have an auto. 6MT is out because my wife doesn't want to learn to drive it

Old 04-26-2016, 06:58 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by cptslow
I have an auto. 6MT is out because my wife doesn't want to learn to drive it
That's OK, you'll be faster. :-)

I love MTs and they are probably more fun for most of us old-school folks, but there is no disputing that the ZF auto in this car is pretty spectacular, and unquestionably quicker.

Old 04-26-2016, 07:03 PM

That's OK, you'll be faster. :-)

I love MTs and they are probably more fun for most of us old-school folks, but there is no disputing that the ZF auto in this car is pretty spectacular, and unquestionably quicker.
I've recently given up MT. Started with the PDK in the Cayman, when I realized that the 6MT is more of a philosophical decision now. Not to say that they aren't fun, because they are.

It's funny. The ZF is the one main thing that I find utterly disappointing in this car. After 6 months, it's literally the single reason that I have some regrets. I find it kind of "dumb", for lack of a better word. Maybe I was spoiled by the PDK, but I kinda feel like for a 100k ish sports car, the same ZF as in the XJ just isn't appropriate.

Old 04-26-2016, 07:17 PM
Veteran Member

I don't like it in auto mode and feel the same about the PDK, BMW DCT, and any other auto mode. I use the paddles all the time. That's where I find it impressive.

The ZF in the F-Type is tuned differently than other models. I have a ZF 9-speed in my Jeep Trailhawk where it feels like a completely different transmission.

Old 04-26-2016, 07:26 PM

I don't like it in auto mode and feel the same about the PDK, BMW DCT, and any other auto mode. I use the paddles all the time. That's where I find it impressive.

The ZF in the F-Type is tuned differently than other models. I have a ZF 9-speed in my Jeep Trailhawk where it feels like a completely different transmission.
I only drive it in "manual" mode. Unless highway cruising. I still think a double clutch would have been far more suited to the cars. I really don't like the downshifts, regardless of how it's programmed/tuned.

Old 04-26-2016, 07:43 PM
Veteran Member

I saw you said you badly missed your Cayman on another thread. It sounds like you might be one of those people imprinted on Porsche . . . not that there's anything wrong with that. :-)

The ZF in the F-Type has been almost universally praised in the automotive press, by owners, and by professional drivers.

Old 04-26-2016, 07:50 PM

I saw you said you badly missed your Cayman on another thread. It sounds like you might be one of those people imprinted on Porsche . . . not that there's anything wrong with that. :-)

The ZF in the F-Type has been almost universally praised in the automotive press, by owners, and by professional drivers.
I do miss it. My wife and I shared the Cayman S and the FType. It was a perfect world really. It's funny, because I DON'T miss the 911s.

I don't think I'm a Porsche fanatic in the traditional sense. I guess the Cayman ruined me for track oriented driving though.

And don't misread, I really like the F, including what I may consider "faults" with the car. I love the noise. LOVE the looks. Love the "Jag Baddie" image that Mark Strong has created for us, etc. I guess I was just concerned about it's trackability in terms of both performance and reliability. Maybe I just need to take it out once myself and see what I think. If nothing else, I'm sure the smoke will entertain the on-lookers.

The following users liked this post:
TR64ever (04-26-2016)
Old 04-26-2016, 07:56 PM
Veteran Member

No question that the Cayman is a better track car! It is brilliant in that element. I felt the same way about my Lotus, even though it was brutal everywhere else.

Old 04-26-2016, 08:04 PM

No question that the Cayman is a better track car! It is brilliant in that element. I felt the same way about my Lotus, even though it was brutal everywhere else.
Elise? Miserable and delightful all at the same time.

Old 04-26-2016, 08:28 PM
Received 89 Likes on 57 Posts

F-Type 6-Cylinder was designed to be a Cayman beater.
F-Type 8-Cylinder was designed to be a 911 beater.

It takes a competent driver.

Don't let down our side boys!

Old 04-26-2016, 08:31 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by cptslow
Elise? Miserable and delightful all at the same time.
Yep, and I loved it for that reason.

That is the one car that I truly regret letting go. I recently started looking for one because I miss it so much and was amazed to see 10 yr. old cars selling for much more than I paid for a used one 8 years ago ($26K). It's incredible that they are appreciating now.

Old 04-26-2016, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by TR64ever
F-Type 6-Cylinder was designed to be a Cayman beater.
F-Type 8-Cylinder was designed to be a 911 beater.

It takes a competent driver.

Don't let down our side boys!
Maybe I'm just not all that competent?

Old 04-26-2016, 08:35 PM

Yep, and I loved it for that reason.

That is the one car that I truly regret letting go. I recently started looking for one because I miss it so much and was amazed to see 10 yr. old cars selling for much more than I paid for a used one 8 years ago ($26K). It's incredible that they are appreciating now.
Insane. I guess once they became illegal to import, it was bound to happen.

Quick Reply: Does Anyone Regularly Track or Auto Cross?