F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Every F-Type has a story - why did you buy *yours*

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 09:10 PM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Well Here's my story. In 2013 when The C7 Corvette was introduced to the world I fell In love immediately. I then sold my 2002 C5 Corvette to get my C7. Moving forward a year my wife found a pic of the new F-Type in a magazine and she fell in love immediately. Me feeling bad for her because she had just sold her Nissan 350Z to get something she could haul the grandkids in (Ford Explorer Sport). For several weeks I pryed out of her what she would want on a F-Type if she had one. So for our 25th wedding anniversary I surprised her with her dream car. a Brand new 2015 F-Type V6S Coupe. I have to say I think I love the car as much or more than she does.

The following 3 users liked this post by PapasC7:
BostonKiller (01-19-2017), DirtyAir (01-19-2017), jaguny (01-17-2017)
Old 01-17-2017, 02:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 337 Likes on 212 Posts

My story started when we early in 2015 no longer needed a large SUV (in addition to our other daily drive), and (a little surprizingly) my wife said it was ok with her that I sold it and spend x $ on a sportscar of my choice.

I had allready looked at several different cars (make and models), and it did not take long to decide that it had to be an F-type Coupe. First problem was which model and options would fit to my budget. In Norway high powered cars are taxed pretty high, so the R was not an option. Only a very few (2 or 3) R's were at that time sold in Norway, so second hand market was also out of the question.

I set up a nice V6S with the options that I would like in IRR, and the price came to just at my budget. My plan was also to keep this car for a long time (into my retirement years), so I wanted it to be the perfect sportscar for me to be used just as a "fun to drive car" in weekends and some Holidays with my wife.

But when I thought everything was ok to order, I had a talk with a very good friend that is really into sportscars (he runs a very nice "high end" garage) - and he said "why don't you buy a newer second hand R from Germany for the same price as a new S in Norway? I have a good friend in Germany that knows cars and can help you."

To make a long story short - I found the perfect car on a German second hand car site. It was a 2015 R IRR with all options except for the CCB, and it was in perfect conditions and had done just over 4.000 miles - and the price (including import taxes) was exactly the same as a new S in Norway.

The only problem was that the car had just been sold to a Frenchman - contract written but no money received yet (the car was still at the sellers hands) The Frenchman had 3 more days to come up with the money, however the seller told me that he did have a little "uneasy" feeling about the buyer.

Three days went on, and then the seller gave me a call saying "do you still want the car? The Frenchman has not been heard from". I did wanted the car (so bad) and my friends friend sorted out the paperwork for me, I flew down there and drove the car home (700 miles)

It's the best buy I have ever done, and it is the most fun car that I have ever owned. It's a keeper for sure

Last edited by Arne; 01-17-2017 at 07:52 AM.
The following users liked this post:
DirtyAir (01-19-2017)
Old 01-17-2017, 03:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,148 Likes on 2,319 Posts

It was only some four years ago I became interested in Jags, after spotting an XF and thinking "jeez, that looks good".
Long story short, I bought an XFS, and then a couple of years later I upgraded to an XFR (both 2010).
When the F-Type first came out in 2013 I thought "wouldn't mind one of them, but way too expensive" (here in Oz the F-Type costs nearly three times as much as in NA).
Then the F-Type coupe came out a year later, and I thought "I really really want one of them!" (but still too rich for my budget).
I devoured every review and test and that only made me more determined to get an F-Type. An R would be great, essentially the same engine as my XFR, but stupid expensive, so a V6 was my only hope.
I visited my local JLR dealer when I still had the XFS, and enquired about ordering a new F-Type, but the trade in price they offered me was stupid low and I could only afford a base model with very few options.
So I started to check the used F-Type for sale listings regularly, but still too expensive. I thought I would have to wait another two years at least before the prices dropped to what I could afford.
Then around 5 months ago a new listing came up for a loaded V6S coupe at what seemed to be a very good price, in a colour combo I hadn't really considered before.
Long story short I bought it sight unseen, with some worries that it might have some problems, but it turned out to be problem free, I reckon I got it for some $30,000 less than it was really worth, I could not be happier!

DirtyAir (01-19-2017)
Old 01-17-2017, 06:44 AM
Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

I had a Camaro as a teenager that I loved. Then I moved on to practical cars and finally a SUV when I had kids. About three years ago I bought a XF which started my love affair with Jag. I thought the F-Type was beyond gorgeous but dismissed the idea for a long time because it's a two-seater and I needed a vehicle the kids could be in. Then I realized that there was no reason why I couldn't just have both cars. Couldn't possibly be happier with my decision - I absolutely love this car.

DirtyAir (01-19-2017)
Old 01-17-2017, 07:39 AM
Received 175 Likes on 131 Posts

I had an 09 SLK55 AMG. Nice car but down on power. Over the Christmas holidays I like to test drive exotics. One year it was an R8 vert. Loved it but not the price. 2015 holidays and after seeing the TV commercials, I tested a 14 V8S vert with no intention on buying it. Then the sales guy put it in dynamic and sport. What throttle response! Still not really interested in buying it - too expensive. "Would you like us to assess your SLK?" Why not? I assumed that they would lowball it and I'd be done. **** - they made a fair offer. Now what? Off to CarMax to get an assessment. They offered less but in the same neighborhood. My brain's on fire, but my wife has told me "No more cars!" WTF do I do now? I get home and give her the puppy dog eyes. "If you want it, buy it." A week later the deal was done.

DirtyAir (01-19-2017)
Old 01-17-2017, 11:03 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,086 Likes on 1,388 Posts

Fun thread.

I had no intention of buying a sports car (or a 2nd car at all). Then I saw this picture in late 2012/early 2013:

That got me thinking. I looked at the specs for the 2014 F-type, and decided that if I wanted a sports car, it was exactly what I wanted.

So, I ordered one in late winter 2013, for spring delivery. This was before there were any reviews - no one outside of Jaguar had driven one.

I got pretty excited when the reviews started coming in in March 2013, as they were very positive.

I took delivery in June 2013, just in time for a road trip to the Midwest. And then I did a golf roadtrip with my dad. Sublime.

33,000 miles and nearly 4 years later, I'm still in love, even if the car is in winter storage.

The following 2 users liked this post by DJS:
DirtyAir (01-19-2017), Uk2usa (01-17-2017)
Old 01-17-2017, 12:43 PM
Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

I grew up in Coventry, ever since I can remember I wanted a Jag

DirtyAir (01-19-2017)
Old 01-19-2017, 04:53 PM
Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Great Stories. Those are what make the car so great. Lots of similarities, but not much exactly the same. I.e. I got a minivan because I had kids. Lol..

Old 01-19-2017, 05:52 PM
Banned
Received 130 Likes on 98 Posts
Smile What's wrong with minivans ....

Originally Posted by DirtyAir
Great Stories. Those are what make the car so great. Lots of similarities, but not much exactly the same. I.e. I got a minivan because I had kids. Lol..
During the work week I'm driving a Chrysler Town & Country AWD 4.0 litre minivan. My true beast !
Lol ... : )

Old 01-19-2017, 06:55 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,086 Likes on 1,388 Posts

My winter car is a 2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid (i.e. Ford Fusion), while the F-type is in storage. Feels like I'm driving a school bus.

Old 01-19-2017, 08:15 PM
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Most beautiful car I've ever seen with the right mixture of elegance and sport. I had to have one.

Plus having a sister in law working as finance manager is an added bonus.

DirtyAir (01-21-2017)
Old 01-19-2017, 10:07 PM
Received 123 Likes on 79 Posts

Well, I'm a Jag guy for 30 years. I've owned bunches. Three Series 3 saloons, four Series 2 saloons, including 3 XJ12 Coupe's, 3 XJ-S's, a Series 1 XJ12, 2 XKR's, an XF supercharged, 3 XJR's, an XJ8 VDP... and an E-type. It was a Series 1 Coupe: 3 carbs, covered headlights, toggle switches, 4 speed MT. I regret ever selling it. To me, the E-type was the penultimate Jaguar. Perfect curves, great handling, good power, sexy as hell and very British.
I always knew someday Jaguar would build a modern version of the E-type, not just in looks, but also in feel and soul. The E was never about raw power, but about the entire package. So, along comes the F-type. Stunning. The design captures that E-type feel perfectly. As I'm drooling and contemplating, they release the coupe. Wow.... the lines are perfected with the closed car. I said if they only had a manual, I'd be a buyer. 2016 was the year Jag put it all together for me. I bought an S because it was the most power to be had with the MT. I had never ordered a car before, so what the hell, I picked out exactly what I wanted. I took possession on December 24, 2015 and have covered 3500 miles in her. Still smells new.
I know what that guy felt like in 1967 when he picked up that Pale Primrose E-type brand new and drove it home. He probably got the same looks we get now in our F's.

DirtyAir (01-21-2017)
Old 01-19-2017, 10:31 PM
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Ok so I will be honest...

Because my wife let me ��

Old 01-20-2017, 10:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 329 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
My winter car is a 2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid (i.e. Ford Fusion), while the F-type is in storage. Feels like I'm driving a school bus.
My winter DD ( I think I have you beat on the "school bus" thing ;-)

Dave

Old 01-21-2017, 07:52 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm always looking for the perfect next car. A few years back I purchased a C63 AMG, I loved the car however it was missing the exotic feel and sound so I moved onto a Viper and I definitely got the speed and head turns. The Viper was great however the wife hated it as she knew it was nicknamed the widow maker so it only lasted 2 yrs. After long reviews on utube and the internet I needed to test drive the F Type R. After my first drive I knew this car was special, from the sound to the looks, along with the horse power it was an easy decision. My daily driver is a Jeep SRT and I still miss driving the R.

DirtyAir (01-21-2017)
Old 01-21-2017, 11:16 AM
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I came from the opposite direction to most people here. My miata was in for service and I had a couple of hours to spare so walked across th road to look at the jaguars -absolutely NO intention of buying; but after chatting with the salesman a while hopped in an f type S for a test drive - absolutely loved it but, no manual drive and couldn't justify the cost. So I spent a year lusting and keeping my eyes open, with occasional trips to dealers around new England to try out various second hand models as they came on the market - none quite had what I wanted.
in the meantime the Mazda ND came out. It is an amazing car except for two details, an unresolved issue with the manual transmission occasionally failing ( and 80% of them are manual) and the all too familiar 'ipad like monitor' on the dashboard - I hate the effect on the lines of the car. Fortunatley as I was deliberating whether to go for it, a manual V6S with all the bells and whistles turned up locally. I decided to just look and following the test drive I knew I had found my car.
It is awesome and, the second most fun car I've driven (the miata ND is, in my opinion, more fun to drive, but cannot compete with the Jag for touring, power, elegance and the feeling of what a special car it is!
p.s. Ironically, my transmission failed after 800 miles and had to be completely rebuilt.
p.p.s. I will get another miata one day, it is too much fun not too, and small enough to fit in a corner of the garage alongside my 'large' F type

Last edited by AbyJag; 01-21-2017 at 11:27 AM.
DirtyAir (01-21-2017)
Old 01-21-2017, 05:23 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My wife wanted an F-type. I wanted a M4.

We compromised and got an F-type.

The following 2 users liked this post by yugwmb:
DJS (01-21-2017), SanDiegoJAG (01-22-2017)
Old 01-21-2017, 07:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,652 Likes on 3,362 Posts

Originally Posted by yugwmb

The secret to a long marriage is to know exactly how to compromise. Apparently, you're in it for the long haul.

Old 01-21-2017, 08:07 PM
Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by yugwmb

It's a good thing you compromised. Any woman that demands an ftype is a pretty good catch!

Old 01-22-2017, 10:22 AM
Received 54 Likes on 25 Posts

In 2013, we were newly empty nesters, and were casually looking to get a 2 seater convertible. No rush, had a 2011 Lincoln MKZ (and wife happy with her Volvo).

We live in Detroit and go to the Auto Show every year. For the next 2 years nothing really called to us. I was happy with the Lincoln. We usually buy American. I had never owned a Jag, and new exactly nothing about Jags. Nothing!

Then I saw it: Firesand V8 MY 2014. O. M. G. It was perfect. What IS this thing? A Jag? Is it new? Wait, $100k? Yes, totally worth it, but out of my price range especially considering we weren't really looking.

For the next 2 years, the vision of that thing haunted me. Knowing it wouldn't really be mine (for a while), I slowly forgot about it. Maybe in 5 or 8 years form now...

Fast forward 2 years. Maybe trade in for a new Lincoln. Talking with a buddy who owns a Ferrari. Got me thinking about the Jag again, feelings, emotion, lust, want.

Talk to the wife: how about, I keep the Lincoln for a couple of more years - and instead...wait for it... we get a used F-Type!?!!!

SHE FELL FOR IT!

That day I obsessively searched the internet, and found The One in a neighboring state, struck a deal and bought it sight unseen, without ever even driving one.

Hands down the most fantastic car I've ever owned.