F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Every F-Type has a story - why did you buy *yours*

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 10:04 PM
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DPelletier
My winter DD ( I think I have you beat on the "school bus" thing ;-)

Dave
^Thaf little truck 😏... Yours look like an easy daily driver for the city.

In full disclosure "my" F-type R is not yet in my possession, but my story will read....

"Grew tired of daily driving a school bus (pictured above) wanted something smaller, more fuel efficient, and just as impractical."

Edit: I feel the need to address any future questions on the topic....No, it isn't stuck, just backing out out of the garage.

Last edited by 084runnerltd; 01-22-2017 at 10:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DirtyAir (01-24-2017)
Old 01-23-2017, 03:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 329 Likes on 256 Posts

Haha; nice H1 but according to the interweb, I gotcha by about 1000 lbs. (8339 lbs with a full tank of diesel), 10" of wheelbase and 10" in overall width. ;-)

Cheers,
Dave

Old 01-23-2017, 10:16 PM
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DPelletier
Haha; nice H1 but according to the interweb, I gotcha by about 1000 lbs. (8339 lbs with a full tank of diesel), 10" of wheelbase and 10" in overall width. ;-)

Cheers,
Dave
You are correct, but you are cheating because you have 2 extra wheels!

What are you gonna do during the zombie apocalypse? H1 wheelbase matches that of a tank tread so it can easily follow the "trail" that the tank created.....you are gonna be too wide for that... just don't say I didn't warn ya....

DPelletier (01-24-2017)
Old 01-24-2017, 02:14 PM
Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

January 19, 2013. Saw the F-Type in the metal for the first time at the Philly Auto Show. It was easily my favorite of the show.

January 18, 2014. One year later, got to drive in one (as a passenger) for the first time. Saw the Coupe for the first time too. Wow.

Spring 2016, First test drive, Second test drive (with the wife), and the search began.

July 2016, pulled the trigger.

Last edited by JackMac; 01-24-2017 at 02:18 PM.
DirtyAir (01-24-2017)
Old 01-24-2017, 04:46 PM
Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by 084runnerltd
^Thaf little truck 😏... Yours look like an easy daily driver for the city.

In full disclosure "my" F-type R is not yet in my possession, but my story will read....

"Grew tired of daily driving a school bus (pictured above) wanted something smaller, more fuel efficient, and just as impractical."

Edit: I feel the need to address any future questions on the topic....No, it isn't stuck, just backing out out of the garage.
Those two are beasts. Anyone that likes F-types should like a duallie and an H1!

Old 01-25-2017, 12:49 AM
Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

i was looking to move on from my cayman (only beef was that it was under powered). i had already adapted to a two seater (had three 911's previously), so kind of like the small cabin.

never had a jaguar on my radar until i saw the f-type...love at first sight.

i'm a coupe guy, not so much a convertible (i like the experience, but think the lines of the car are often ruined with a convertible), so when the f-type came out with the coupe, i was curious.

i went in and test drove the S. liked it, but didn't love it (looks yes, but performance...meh). i just couldn't pull the trigger as it was not a visceral experience, like i had hoped/was looking for). i didn't want to spend the amount of $ of the R...BUT, i made the mistake on a follow up visit to test drive the R (on the recommendation of the sales person). Well, the rest is history. that sound & that power!! this is my first high-hp car & it was just wow...

there truly is no substitute for HP (and torque, for that matter). i have never looked back on the decision (and have not regretted spending the $$). an added bonus is the relative rarity of the car on the streets. i live in northern california, so there is no shortage of nice cars (porsches are a, seemingly, dime a dozen)...but, i almost never see an R on the road. i kinda like that...

DirtyAir (01-25-2017)
Old 01-25-2017, 05:52 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I come from Chevy Camaro world. My then wife and I both have one.They were getting a few years on them and I always wanted a Corvette. When the C7 came out that was the one. After waiting a couple of years I was looking at them constantly. Sending her pics all of the time. After one pic of a Z06 she said " I thought you wanted a Jag." I had liked the looks but never really considered one. Next day we went and looked at the R. It had to be a V8 or nothing. We drove a silver one with the Carbon Fiber roof no Ceramic brakes. It was middle of the road. The dealer didn't want to play ball and after two days offered a "new" car driven by the manager. It was fully loaded except pano roof instead of Carbon Fiber. I couldn't pass up the price. So now I have a 2016 F Type R that I love. I do not get to drive it enough being in Dubai. Going to talk to some people about shipping it over this weekend when I get home. Wish me luck.
I don't regret not getting the Vette. I still have the Camaro which is heavily modified. The F Type is still nicer.

DirtyAir (01-25-2017)
Old 01-28-2017, 03:08 PM
Received 89 Likes on 57 Posts

I bought the best sports car I could afford when I was out of college: a 10-year old Triumph TR6. 31+ years later, the Triumph wasn’t much of a sports car, it was a “classic.” But I loved it. In 2011 the Jaguar C-X16 concept car is unveiled at the Frankfurt Motor Show. “This is a seriously gorgeous car,” I think to myself, “if Jaguar puts this into production, the Triumph TR6 is in trouble.”
In 2013 the Coupe version of the F-Type was unveiled at the Los Angeles Auto Show.
It was love at first sight, the constant service needs of the TR6 became a chore, the handling quirks no longer amusing. In July 2014 I attended the Jaguar Performance Driving Academy at Monticello NY where I drove the F-Type R on the track: WOW, I was hooked. I dumped the TR6 on eBay and immediately ordered exactly what I wanted: V6S with options….(and I have not once wished for more power than the V6S in 14,000 miles of road use). During the 130 day wait before delivery I did the factory tour at Castle Bromwich. It was a long 130 days: I had the garage painted, demolished the TR6 work-bench (won’t be needing that) and epoxy painted the floor. If I was going to track the car, I'd want the R, but the V6S does the job for me.
My wife called the TR6 "Mike's mistress." After 28 years of marriage she felt a bit threatened: now that I upgraded my mistress, would I want a newer model wife??

DirtyAir (02-04-2017)
Old 02-04-2017, 05:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

I walked into my dealer for servicing on my then 2014 XJ8L, and at this time didn't have a second car to tool around in. I happened to see a "Starlight Blue" with "Red Interior" 2015S, and said to myself....."WOW". It was an Executive car with a bit of miles on it (7K +/-) so I said to myself "self, this is for you"! Went home and my wife and I agreed and it was history. Regretted not getting the "R", and then the 60K bumper to bumper free maintenance came about and I said.....hmmmm!

In May of 2016, went in for surgery, and prior to my wife and I spoke and she and the family know my vice is my lifelong passion for cars, since I was a street kid in the city. Would look at the "Gangsta" cars going by and say to myself...."Self, I am going to get me one of these some day"!

So, before the surgery, I did two things. I traded in the 2015 for a 2016 F-Type R, the XJ8L for an 2017 F-Pace, and for 9 weeks was down for the count from surgery to recovery. My wife knew as did I that I would be recovering and dreaming about the car on the way, and that it did indeed. Was a lot of fun and helped me pass the time away. The R-Gets delivered to my house on a flatbed, and it was gorgeous, and the S get's taken away and it was gorgeous.....but I knew I had an upgrade, a great deal, great incentives, and I smiled. I do look forward to waking up in the AM, and showering then jumping into the car for a ride alone, sometimes quietly listening to the motor and "note", other times listening to a new "note" my stereo, which was software adjusted and sounds fabulous in the small cab. Sheer heaven on 4 wheels!!!

To date, I feel blessed to be able to have done this, and respect the promise to my wife......that this is it for a 'long time"......, yet for some reason, not a person in my family believes me......

Priorities = 1) - Family; 2) - Health; 3) Friends; 4) Cars......(namely my F-Type R).....man what a car.

DirtyAir (02-04-2017)
Old 02-05-2017, 03:46 AM
Received 172 Likes on 124 Posts

Have always been an English car fan, sports car fan and rag top fan. One of my first cars was a red MGA. Over the years I got side tracks with 4wheeking and had a series of Land Rovers, I snuck in a nice old Series 3 XJ6 as well. I flirted with a BMW 3 series convertible it was ok but not quite there.

Was then hankering for an e-type but I don't have the time to play with it at the moment. Then I went to an All British day when Jaguar was there showing off the launch of the f-type with a V6S IRR convertible and I instantly fell in over and said to my cousin who was there with my, there is one of those in my future. But the $ were just a bit too rich for me.

Then a couple of years later I paid off my modified LR3 and was thinking about replacing it with a 4, but I had so much money sunk into the mods it wasn't worth selling it and I happened across a 1 year old ex Jaguar company car IRR F-Type V6s and it was all over.

DirtyAir (02-06-2017)
Old 02-06-2017, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

I've told this story before...

But I'd driven a Jeep Wrangler since 1995. Around 2005, I started saving for a new car, because I had a GM who said the Jeep wasn't appropriate for a Green Luxury hotel that I had helped build, and was opening. I told him "Green" isn't what you buy, but what you don't buy. So 10 years on, my swear jar brimming and ready to buy a car, I would say it was about 2012 I started to see F-Types on the road near me.

I've never been one for overly designed super cars. They're cute, but unnecessary, all those angles and candy coating colors. I've always loved sophisticated cars, but never imagined affording or wanting the ostenatiousness of a Bentley or Rolls. Sports cars reek of insecurity, like the coked up slick stock broker driving a Porsche, or even Maserati being driven by slimeballs (as wifey puts it).

But I've always adored Astons, and if I had known it was Ian, then I would have been quick enough to follow where he was at the time of F-type dev. But honestly I was a closeted car guy, thinking I just drive a truck, and would never afford a fancy car, luxury car, let alone high end sports car. An Aston was a joke, pretending to be Bond, etc. I honestly, for real, assumed I would end up in a Volvo or Ford Fusion... safe, practical, etc.

When I started looking for cars, and whittling down legit options, I noticed that the F-Type was always on the radar 2012-2014 while I patiently looked around. But there was a point that I realized my Jeep was unsafe, and driving 20,000 miles a year in commuting, I need an airbag, and maybe better full consumption.

But I remember the moment I was at my gym and saw a magazine about them offering a manual transmission with the 2016 model. That was it. I basically tripled the amount I was thinking about spending on a car, right there. We had just bought a home the year prior, but we desperately needed to do a gut renovation. I was 38 at the time, and my wife told me to get my car prior to the renovation, because I deserved it. She sort of thought it hot for me to be in a car like that prior to the age of 40. lol

Every...single... day.... from December 2014 until about April of 2015, I was tooling my car, building it out online, at the dealer, finalizing, etc. I poured over the build sheet, and good thing as there were constant errors, as their program has a lot to be desired, and is quite buggy. But that April the final build went in, I believe it was off the line by late May, and it arrived Wednesday, the 12th of August, 2015. And that morning, I took my beauty, immediately, on a 3 1/2hr drive to Tahoe.

But I worked my *** off the last 10 years, and I kept noticing the F-Type. Literally the only car on the road where time would slow and it felt like my spirit animal, as it passed. I hadn't planned for a luxury car (Around here, the BMW, Audi, Lexus, Infinity thing)

I can't believe it's been a year and a half, and I've about 24,000 miles on the car, including a 4200 mile 3 week road trip around the National Park system of the Western States. We just completed our gut renovation, and things are clicking along in quite a lovely way (for now). But this car was the best purchase I've ever made. You don't purchase your wife, and we rescued our dog... so I can truly say it's the best decision and purchase I've made. I didn't go into debt to do it, and I can say I truly, truly enjoy it when I am in it, never take it for granted, miss it when I can't drive it (read: there is almost *never* a time I don't drive it, even in lieu of bulky groceries or errands. I don't care. LOL)

As much as I think it relatively dehumanising to celebrate with or bond to consumer products, I'm truly bonded to this damned thing, and it has personality.

Rowing the gearbox up and down the California coast has truly brought me great joy. Also, extremely excited to be on board at the start of a Jaguar rebirth, for sure. It's nice to be ahead of the trends, for once. =)

Last edited by Uncle Fishbits; 02-06-2017 at 12:22 PM.
DirtyAir (02-06-2017)
Old 02-06-2017, 12:45 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,086 Likes on 1,388 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
...I would say it was about 2012 I started to see F-Types on the road near me...

I would say it was 2013 at the earliest, as spring of 2013 is when they started shipping.

Old 02-07-2017, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DJS
I would say it was 2013 at the earliest, as spring of 2013 is when they started shipping.
Fake news. I have alternative facts and a time machine. Period. Anyone that now says anything negative is lying. Period.

Oh man MCcarthy as Sean Spicer was gold.

Old 02-07-2017, 10:58 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,086 Likes on 1,388 Posts

I recommend treading extremely carefully when it comes to anything remotely political.

But I agree.

Uncle Fishbits (02-08-2017)
Old 02-08-2017, 10:10 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DJS
I recommend treading extremely carefully when it comes to anything remotely political.

But I agree.
We can all revel in the humorous satire that abounds, for any political season, without getting political. There's always satire of our government, and it's healthy. =) But yeah, no politics. I'm sure we're all exhausted no matter the belief system. It's also pretty cool, though, in that time and time again we really have proven the *crazy* diversity when it comes to F-Type owners. I really like that.