F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust sound upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 09:34 AM
Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Exhaust sound upgrade?

This may sound like heresy to some of you but I sometimes feel like my R's exhaust sound is too raw and unrefined and too much like a detroit muscle car. The biggest thing I miss from my Maserati GT is the exhaust note. I don't know if any of you guys ever heard one in person, but I consider its exhaust note to be one of the best sounding on the planet, outside of a F12, La Ferrari or an Aventador.

Just curious, but are there any aftermarket exhaust systems out there for the F-Type, specifically the R, that can change the exhaust note to sound more "Italian?" That is, a bit more mellow, smoother, and higher pitched?

Old 04-24-2016, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,640 Likes on 3,362 Posts

Originally Posted by psb1013
This may sound like heresy to some of you but I sometimes feel like my R's exhaust sound is too raw and unrefined and too much like a detroit muscle car. The biggest thing I miss from my Maserati GT is the exhaust note. I don't know if any of you guys ever heard one in person, but I consider its exhaust note to be one of the best sounding on the planet, outside of a F12, La Ferrari or an Aventador.

Just curious, but are there any aftermarket exhaust systems out there for the F-Type, specifically the R, that can change the exhaust note to sound more "Italian?" That is, a bit more mellow, smoother, and higher pitched?
Unless you are addicted to the V8 power, consider trading up to a V6. The sound is refined, resonant and perfect.

The following 2 users liked this post by Unhingd:
AnD3rew (04-25-2016), BierNut (04-25-2016)
Old 04-24-2016, 10:50 AM
Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts

I think the sound has more to do with firing order, engine design and rpm than exhaust system. The Maserati will always sound better, especially in the higher rpm ranges that the jaguar does not go.

Old 04-24-2016, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Unless you are addicted to the V8 power, consider trading up to a V6. The sound is refined, resonant and perfect.
I agree, v6 sound much nicer, more European. More exotic.

Old 04-24-2016, 11:27 AM
Received 824 Likes on 467 Posts

I think that Maserati has a flat plane crank, does it not? And the F-Type is a cross-plane.

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

Old 04-24-2016, 12:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

I found the V8 exhaust tone to be rather uncouth. If I wasn't looking for a daily driver it'd have been different, but that'd start to wear on me. The V6 sounds really good, although not Maserati GT good. Of all the cars I've driven in the last few years, it was the clear winner.

Old 04-24-2016, 03:04 PM
Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
I think that Maserati has a flat plane crank, does it not? And the F-Type is a cross-plane.
Correct and even then you have to consider firing order. The new Shelby GT350 is flat plane yet does not sound Ferrari-ish.

Old 04-24-2016, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
Cross plane, only flat plane in Ferrari. I heard the new Ford flat plane Mustang GT350 in person. It sounds fantastic.

Old 04-24-2016, 03:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 641 Likes on 410 Posts

I don't know if any of you guys ever heard one in person, but I consider its exhaust note to be one of the best sounding on the planet, outside of a F12, La Ferrari or an Aventador.
I think you just bought the wrong car, sound wise. Many people, myself included, consider this one of the best sounding vehicles made. But if you want a more exotic sounding vehicle, you'll have to get an exotic.

Originally Posted by SoCalJagS
Cross plane, only flat plane in Ferrari.
Some of the Maseratis use Ferrari sourced engines, so it really depends which one you're talking about.

The following users liked this post:
Kief (04-25-2016)
Old 04-24-2016, 03:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Stohlen
if you want a more exotic sounding vehicle, you'll have to get an exotic.
Actually you don't as the F-Type V6 has a very exotic exhaust note in the view of the vast majority of owners.

I agree w/ the OP, having owned more than a dozen "American muscle cars," I thought the F-Type V8 sounded just like another of those, which quite frankly I was bored with that sound. It was the exotic exhaust note of the V6, coupled with a bit less weight, and better balance that convinced me to go w/ the V6.

It's plenty quick for exclusive street use.

Old 04-24-2016, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Stohlen
Some of the Maseratis use Ferrari sourced engines, so it really depends which one you're talking about.

My '12 Maserati GranCabrio Sport has a 4.7L V8 which shares the same engine block as a Ferrari F430 (but has slightly lower HP). Just an incredible exhaust sound. Even better with a sports cats.

I know the F-Type V6 has a smoother-sounding exhaust but after owning a R for a month now, it's almost impossible to downsize. The power of the V8 is just too intoxicating and the way it just devours whatever road you travel on is just unreal.

Has anyone heard of Quicksilver exhaust systems for the F-Type?

F Type V8 Coupe and Convertible - Sport Exhaust System (2014 on) - QuickSilver Exhausts

The YouTube video looks and sounds great, but still the sound isn't quite exotic enough for me. Very loud, though.

Old 04-24-2016, 07:06 PM
Veteran Member

My '12 Maserati GranCabrio Sport has a 4.7L V8 which shares the same engine block as a Ferrari F430 (but has slightly lower HP). Just an incredible exhaust sound. Even better with a sports cats.

I know the F-Type V6 has a smoother-sounding exhaust but after owning a R for a month now, it's almost impossible to downsize. The power of the V8 is just too intoxicating and the way it just devours whatever road you travel on is just unreal.

Has anyone heard of Quicksilver exhaust systems for the F-Type?

F Type V8 Coupe and Convertible - Sport Exhaust System (2014 on) - QuickSilver Exhausts

The YouTube video looks and sounds great, but still the sound isn't quite exotic enough for me. Very loud, though.
Yes, the Quicksilver exhaust has been discussed here frequently. If you don't like the OEM exhaust I can't imagine you'd like it. It just amps up the decibel level even more, but doesn't fundamentally change the sound. Moreover, there are no valves to quiet it down, and in every sound clip I've heard, it's incredibly harsh. No way I'd want to live with that on a daily basis.

Old 04-24-2016, 07:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,640 Likes on 3,362 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Yes, the Quicksilver exhaust has been discussed here frequently. If you don't like the OEM exhaust I can't imagine you'd like it. It just amps up the decibel level even more, but doesn't fundamentally change the sound. Moreover, there are no valves to quiet it down, and in every sound clip I've heard, it's incredibly harsh. No way I'd want to live with that on a daily basis.
+1.

Old 04-24-2016, 09:44 PM
BMo
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

The Maser GT sounds BEAUTIFUL!! That was the car I was determined to get before the Jag...then I drove one. What a dog. I think I can run faster! (I'm pretty fast). The R is just right and although a bit obnoxious it can back it up.

Old 04-24-2016, 10:40 PM
Received 824 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalJagS
Cross plane, only flat plane in Ferrari. I heard the new Ford flat plane Mustang GT350 in person. It sounds fantastic.
Just looked it up, seems the Maser & Alfa variants were cross plane. Must be firing order then...?

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

SoCalJagS (04-25-2016)
Old 04-25-2016, 05:12 AM
Received 172 Likes on 124 Posts

No one does exhaust note as well as Maser, having said that, I prefer the sound of my V6 S to the V8.

TR64ever (04-25-2016)
Old 04-25-2016, 06:29 AM
Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Well perhaps I'm in the minority, but I would love it if my R sounded even louder, more brutish! I'm addicted to the sound. The car is such a contradiction...pure beauty/elegance and then the raw sound when you want from the V8. Love it!

Old 04-25-2016, 06:48 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Kief
Well perhaps I'm in the minority, but I would love it if my R sounded even louder, more brutish! I'm addicted to the sound. The car is such a contradiction...pure beauty/elegance and then the raw sound when you want from the V8. Love it!
With many past big power cars, I've often felt that way initially and added aftermarket systems during the "honeymoon period" for that very reason. After a couple of years, they have become annoying.

Old 04-25-2016, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by BMo
The Maser GT sounds BEAUTIFUL!! That was the car I was determined to get before the Jag...then I drove one. What a dog. I think I can run faster! (I'm pretty fast). The R is just right and although a bit obnoxious it can back it up.

The Maser GT-S does 0-60 mph in about 4.7 sec. (The MC Stradale does it in about 4.5 sec). That's not exactly a "dog." At the same time, for a Ferrari-sourced V8 engine, that's a bit lethargic. The problem is the weight. (and you thought the F-Type is heavy). The car is huge (bigger than most crossover SUV's!). Have to remember though that while the F-Type is a 2-seater sports car, the Maser is a true 2+2 GT (and more of a cruiser).

Old 04-25-2016, 09:27 AM
Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by AnD3rew
No one does exhaust note as well as Maser, having said that, I prefer the sound of my V6 S to the V8.
+1

I drove the F-Type R on the track at the Jaguar Performance Driving Academy, the sound under full-power was epic, the most fun I've ever had with my clothing on...but for the road, I bought the V6

Jeremy Clarkson said it best about the V6 sound: "“It’s an X-Rated hardcore monster for the terminally unhinged. It’s got such a wide range of intoxicating noises, when you change up it snorts like a hippo, and then when you put your foot down it bellows, and then when you take it off again…that is the sound of the 60s right there.”

Car Throttle Review - of the Sound of the V6:
“The sound is biblical….There is nothing out there that sounds quite as good good…It’s mesmerizing and fascinating. With a brutish charm that will make your mom, girlfriend, neighbor and his kid smile from ear-to-ear…. “

Quick Reply: Exhaust sound upgrade?