F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F Type as a daily?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 11:35 AM
Received 149 Likes on 82 Posts

Mine is a daily driver and I love it as well. The only problem, especially if you are a bit of an aggressive driver, is keeping cool and controlled in traffic. Think of it as a high ranking MMA fighter getting harassed by a moron in a club. The real champion will keep cool and pass on the fight.
You get called out a lot in an F-Type.

The following 2 users liked this post by Paul champagne:
bluejaag (03-15-2019), dws009 (03-15-2019)
Old 03-15-2019, 11:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 531 Likes on 347 Posts

I hear you. I get a lot of red light challenges from shouty Mustangs, WRXs and other various cars. I rarely give them any attention. There was a purple Hellcat once, though...

Old 03-15-2019, 11:44 AM
Received 149 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by eeeeek
I hear you. I get a lot of red light challenges from shouty Mustangs, WRXs and other various cars. I rarely give them any attention. There was a purple Hellcat once, though...
Here in TX you even get challenged by big pickup trucks. I would not mind if they weren't throwing rocks all over creation while doing it

Old 03-15-2019, 04:26 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Daily drive here too. Perfect

The following users liked this post:
jetsetter883 (10-04-2020)
Old 03-15-2019, 07:14 PM
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

@PBBarb Knowing Atlanta traffic, that tells me so much, that this can be in incessant stops and starts safely, provided of course one is careful.

@DPelletier Thanks for your comments about rwd/awd. What sort of animal could you say the V8 is closest to on normal mode, non snow, but also with the Dynamic/TC off/sport paddles etc. off?

@eeeeek Funny you mention the infotainment system, i have heard this is a weaker point of the car? I suppose when the bar is so high on the other elements of the car, it is hard to compare. But from a first gen XF, know how clunky these systems are. My philosophy is when I get into a jaag, the infotainment is in the rumbles exhaust, acceleration and the smile it puts on your face.

@Paul champagne Love the MMA analogy. I don't think this will be a problem , I think there are several grandmothers who are more agressive than I am.

I suspect once I get the car I will be frequently passed by those looking for a bit of who can go fast mentality. But I will appreciate the fact I am content in a little heavy rocket without a need to prove it can get to the next red light faster than theirs.

Thanks again yall for your help, so many great opinions and experiences here

Old 03-21-2019, 06:52 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Daily here too, Dubai traffic is notorious start/stop but wouldn't have it any other way as when you do get a quiet desert road to let it rip, then you get out the car looking like the Joker just found a big bottle of happy gas...

bluejaag (03-22-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 07:52 PM
Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

I had a 2015 RWD R coupe. The car was great but raw. I drove it as a daily 40 miles each way with stop and go traffic often. It was fine, but honestly, it’s not a terribly practical car. You get sick of the 2 seater thing and this is especially true if you don’t have another car to use. I had a Chevy Equinox that I used in the snow or when I needed to carry stuff. I can’t imagine it as my only car. Now, let’s talk about RWD. You MUST know what you’re doing to drive this car AND you have to have great tires on it (Michelin Pilot Supersports or 4S) otherwise it will KILL you. Period. This car is fun, but dangerous in the wrong hands.

Now I have an SVR which I like so much better. The AWD makes the car so much more surefooted that you can really enjoy it without any fear. The bias is still totally RWD, but the AWD catches you and balances it all out. Brilliant actually. The spring changes to the SVR makes it feel more planted and the titanium exhaust has a bit more bass.

One thing is true for all. The tech sucks. It’s basically the same system as my 2010 XFR. On that car it seemed a step up from competitors as Jaguar was way ahead of its time in doing a touchscreen interface. Problem is that they never updated it in a meaningful way and not having CarPlay until now is just ridiculous.

So all in all...I would get the AWD, and enjoy. Just make sure you have another car and you know how to yell “Hey Siri!”

bluejaag (03-22-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 08:36 PM

Very glad to hear from someone who's had both experiences! Has affected the way I think of AWD vs the RWD. I was leaning towards the RWD, for collectability last rwd R and fun's sake, but this has seriously caused me to rethink that AWD may be the better choice for me, safety wise and just manageablility.. Test drove both but only for about 5-10 min on each car, clearly not enough time for me to realize the differences..

As you also owned an XF, I wanted to say and ask a couple things. Firstly I have an '11 MY xf which ironically is a RWD, but manageable for me. I appreciate the car's ability, but was looking for a change, and that was what drove me to look at the F Type R for its style and speed. I also would like to stay in the jag group..

Due to the low resale values, I wouldn't want to trade in my xf just because it has more utility to me than the cash equivalent. So hypothetically if I were to purchase a R, it would certainly be a 2nd car.

Even though I believe you allude to it in your post, may I ask what you mean by raw? Lastly do you think getting sick of the 2 seater aspect is dependent on family size? Or just in general? I ask because I rarely drive with more than 1 other passenger in my car..

Last edited by bluejaag; 03-22-2019 at 08:43 PM.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:00 PM
Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts

My guess is the getting sick of a 2 sweater depends on lifestyle. I personally haven’t had more than 2 seats in 12 years. This one is my second and has about 4 times the storage of my previous one. Granted my husband has a sedan but I’ve never had a need to borrow it or the SUV.

mbelanger (03-26-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 09:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by XFactoR
You MUST know what you’re doing to drive this car AND you have to have great tires on it (Michelin Pilot Supersports or 4S) otherwise it will KILL you. Period.
This is mostly true, but not entirely. RWD F-type isn't one of the cars that would try to kill you every time you drive it, and electronic nannies do a very decent job of keeping it in-line, however if you turn them off there won't be any room left for foolishness. More so, MP4S make drastic difference in how the car handles - better tires + normal DSC mode and it isn't especially dangerous to drive on a dry pavement.

bluejaag (03-23-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 10:08 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

My other vehicle is a Ducati. Makes the F-Type feel like a Chevy Suburban.

Old 03-23-2019, 07:35 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,384 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
... it isn't especially dangerous to drive on a dry pavement.
It is in the UK, our pavements are what you guys call sidewalks!

Old 03-23-2019, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by IlMostro796
My other vehicle is a Ducati. Makes the F-Type feel like a Chevy Suburban.
Ha! I started to say my other vehicle is a Triumph Bobber. Only carry what I can fit in my backpack.

Old 03-23-2019, 09:16 AM
Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

Being 6’2” I could not use it as a daily driver as I needed slightly more leg room and recline. I do have a SUV so it’s never been an issue except on long trips.
in saying that I have ordered a 2020 R and while it’s not the main reason the new seats now allow for the right amount of leg room and recline.

Old 03-23-2019, 05:19 PM

Another question for you all .. Say the AWD with great tires gets the highest scores for traction ( except for maybe snow tires, but leaving those out ). How much of an improvement is a 2015 RWD with Michelin Pilot 4S over the standard Pirellis? How close would a 15 RWD with Michelin's approach a 2016 AWD with Michelin Pilot?

Does the 2016 AWD normally come with Pirellis stock? Interestingly, would a 2015 RWD with Michelin be close to a 2016 AWD with Pirellis? Obviously though a 2016+ AWD with Michelin is the best choice for traction..

Old 03-23-2019, 05:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,127 Likes on 2,305 Posts

Originally Posted by bluejaag
Another question for you all .. Say the AWD with great tires gets the highest scores for traction ( except for maybe snow tires, but leaving those out ). How much of an improvement is a 2015 RWD with Michelin Pilot 4S over the standard Pirellis? How close would a 15 RWD with Michelin's approach a 2016 AWD with Michelin Pilot?

Does the 2016 AWD normally come with Pirellis stock? Interestingly, would a 2015 RWD with Michelin be close to a 2016 AWD with Pirellis? Obviously though a 2016+ AWD with Michelin is the best choice for traction..
I can only answer one of those questions - a 2015 RWD with MPS4S is an absolutely mahoosive improvement over the same car with P-Zeros.
Put simply MPS4S = the best all round ultra performance summer tyre you can get, P-Zero = one of the worst so-called ultra performance summer tyres you can get.

bluejaag (03-23-2019)
Old 03-26-2019, 06:37 AM
Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

Agree that the Michelin’s change everything. Pirellis are no comparison. The Michelin’s definitely make the RWD safer, more controlable, and most importantly, predictable. If you go with RWD, get the Michelin’s immediately without delay, then know your limits, be careful in the wet, and watch your tread. Misusing this car is dangerous. Jaguar knew it and got rid of it in the U.S. for this reason.

When I say that the RWD R coupe is raw, it seemed to be less refined than my 2017 SVR. I really can’t tell you if it’s because of the model year difference or the step up to SVR, or both.

Old 03-26-2019, 09:26 AM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by PBBarb
My guess is the getting sick of a 2 sweater depends on lifestyle. I personally haven’t had more than 2 seats in 12 years.
This exactly ^^^

Admittedly, this is one of five vehicles, so I have options if I need to be able to carry more than would have gone into the F-Type (or is of a nature that I don't want to risk damage to the F-Type). If weather conditions are such that AWD is preferable, the X-type comes out and I still have the benefit of manual transmission...I much prefer manual trannies when the roads are slick, either from ice or rain, due to the fact that an ill-timed shift point won't put me at risk.

When I REALLY need cargo room, the Mercury comes out to play. But the advantage of the two-seaters is that I don't get stuck having to take people for their errands or at lunch...

Old 03-26-2019, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by mbelanger
This exactly ^^^

Admittedly, this is one of five vehicles, so I have options if I need to be able to carry more than would have gone into the F-Type (or is of a nature that I don't want to risk damage to the F-Type). If weather conditions are such that AWD is preferable, the X-type comes out and I still have the benefit of manual transmission...I much prefer manual trannies when the roads are slick, either from ice or rain, due to the fact that an ill-timed shift point won't put me at risk.

When I REALLY need cargo room, the Mercury comes out to play. But the advantage of the two-seaters is that I don't get stuck having to take people for their errands or at lunch...
When I first went from a Volvo wagon (don't judge - my dad was a Volvo tech before retiring) to my Solstice I didn't even have another vehicle. I was only dating my now husband, although he did have an SUV that I could borrow if I needed to. Of course now I can borrow his Stinger, his Pathfinder or his cargo van if need be (although I HATE driving anything as big as either the SUV or van). Since I've almost always driven RWD cars (mostly Mustangs), I know how squirrelly they can get in wet conditions and I know better than to try to drive the once a year we get ice topped with snow (let me add that since we only get it once a year - if that - I just don't have the practice and neither does anyone else around here and I actually had someone from Chicago admit recently that what we have is nothing like what they have and he won't drive here during an "event" either). I know my limits and while I might occasionally push the edges of those limits, I know when to not be a bonehead.

Funny story about lunch and people riding with you. I took a coworker on an errand one day (we both just wanted to get out of the office too) and offered to run through a drive through at lunch if she wanted. She stopped, looked at me and asked "You would allow me to eat in your car?!" I said no, but that she could get lunch and hold it in her lap until we got back to the office and then she could eat. I then had to admit that I have a random jelly bean lost somewhere in my car because I was eating some while pumping gas (so I was outside the car) and one bounced and landed somewhere inside the car. That is going to bug me until I can find it.

Old 03-26-2019, 03:43 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,068 Likes on 1,373 Posts

Originally Posted by PBBarb
...I then had to admit that I have a random jelly bean lost somewhere in my car because I was eating some while pumping gas (so I was outside the car) and one bounced and landed somewhere inside the car. That is going to bug me until I can find it.
If you roll the car a couple of times with the top down, it should come out. Problem solved.

jaguny (03-26-2019)

Quick Reply: F Type as a daily?