F TYPE Faulty Injectors

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 03:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default F TYPE Faulty Injectors

I own an F Type Coupe .... 3 Litre
Registered September 2014 ....
13,500 Miles
Vehicle has broken down 3 occasions in the past 6 weeks resulting in recovery by Jaguar Assistance .... Engine would not run smoothly ... diagnostic report identified as faulty Injectors .... possible cause identified by Jaguar technician ... Dirty Fuel ... I have resourced fuel but the problem persists and the vehicle remains with Jaguar dealer to resolve .... has anyone had a similar problem ?

The following users liked this post:
Hunter Mc (06-09-2020)
Old 06-15-2017, 06:53 PM
GGG
Received 16,768 Likes on 12,155 Posts

Welcome to the forum PETERLENNIE,

I've moved your question from General Tech Help to F-Type forum. Members here with the same model will be able to help.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some information about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 06-15-2017, 07:01 PM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I had the entire injector rail on one side of the engine stick open about six weeks ago. Had to have the car towed as I was running on 3 cylinders and the car was smoking like crazy. Had this happen on my previous car (BMW) as well.

While it wasn't that difficult to get sorted, what made it worse was that oil leaked directly into the alternator and killed it. Coupled with a battery that had a bad cell in it, this secondary issue that reared its head in the subsequent weeks proved to be the bigger pain.

Old 06-16-2017, 04:03 AM

Thank you for this reply ...... Jardine Motors have replaced the injectors and are road testing the vehicle this morning ....... last time it failed when they were returning the vehicle so I am not feeling very confident ..... I will keep you updated

Old 06-16-2017, 08:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

I read in other Jaguar forums that injector failures are caused by insufficient pressure from the marginal DI fuel pump. Did it happen to fail when you stepped on it?

Old 06-16-2017, 08:19 AM
Default F type faulty injectors problem

Thank you this information ....... the fault occurred following approximately 30 miles of hard driving when arriving at my destination .... the engine is then running intermittently on 4 or 5 cylinders .... smoke from the exhaust and a lot of carbon ..... not a pretty sight

Old 06-16-2017, 12:36 PM
Veteran Member

Here is the thread:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ectors-178085/

Important bits:

I have found that the drivers side goes down because it is the furthest from the hipressure pumps. Even though they pass the pump test according to sdd. This is not in every case like fuel dumping, this is a injector. And yes you need new plugs and a oil change because on fuel dumping is dilutes the engine oil when it goes past the rings
and

when one or both of the high pressure pumps drops pressure fuel is the path of least resistance ie more to the right bank. same side as pumps, you can disconnect the hi pressure pump and the car still runs fine till you get on it. then you need the hi psi. this is why so many report after hard acceleration.

Last edited by SinF; 06-16-2017 at 12:42 PM.
Old 06-16-2017, 02:38 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Geez sinf youre like fake news or cherry picking media. You left off the part where i said if the car is dumping fuel this is a different issue with the injectors hanging open.
there are 3 seperate injector issues we see. Low pressure,
carboned tips blocking or disrupting proper spray patterns(youde think and few 1000psi would keep this from happening but no)
and hanging open dumping fuel, very rich and super strong raw fuel smell in the exhaust and even in the oil

Old 06-16-2017, 02:48 PM
Veteran Member

I do not understand, if you have injector stuck open, you will be running rich, not rough. If you are running rough or stall under WOT, you have insufficient fuel and this is what OP is experiencing. That is, until you damage/melt your catalytic converters there won't be drivability issues from stuck open injectors, just fuel smell and very hot converter. If you have stalling and roughness then it is plugged injector or faulty pumps. Where did I go wrong in my diagnostic?

Last edited by SinF; 06-16-2017 at 02:56 PM.
Brutal (06-19-2017)
Old 06-16-2017, 03:48 PM

Definitely running rich .........
Running rough occurred after hard driving
On arrival smoke from exhaust and very rough .... Max 4 cylinders
Jaguar Technician suggested dirty fuel BUT .. I have resourced fuel and the problem reoccurs
No report from Jardine Motors Service Dept and unlikely to get anything now until Monday so I will report back as soon as I have more
Thanks for all your input and have a great weekend

Old 06-19-2017, 06:07 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
I do not understand, if you have injector stuck open, you will be running rich, not rough. If you are running rough or stall under WOT, you have insufficient fuel and this is what OP is experiencing. That is, until you damage/melt your catalytic converters there won't be drivability issues from stuck open injectors, just fuel smell and very hot converter. If you have stalling and roughness then it is plugged injector or faulty pumps. Where did I go wrong in my diagnostic?
itll run rough either way, but one dumps fuel in the pipes, the other does not

Old 06-20-2017, 07:43 AM

Vehicle returned ...... all injectors replaced ..... all spark plugs replaced ...... all auxiliary components replaced .... Oil replaced and filters ..... Jardine Motors Service Department have tested and reported the engine runs perfectly ...... watch this space

buickfunnycar.com (06-20-2017)
Old 06-09-2020, 08:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Overall poor customer satisfaction

Originally Posted by PETERLENNIE
I own an F Type Coupe .... 3 Litre
Registered September 2014 ....
13,500 Miles
Vehicle has broken down 3 occasions in the past 6 weeks resulting in recovery by Jaguar Assistance .... Engine would not run smoothly ... diagnostic report identified as faulty Injectors .... possible cause identified by Jaguar technician ... Dirty Fuel ... I have resourced fuel but the problem persists and the vehicle remains with Jaguar dealer to resolve .... has anyone had a similar problem ?
Yes I own two Ftypes 2014 V8S & 2015 S
Injector issues on both both cars have had mirrored problems, outlet pipes, fuel injectors, Catalytic converters/exhaust replacement. Both cars the injectors have almost welded themselves to the inside of the cylinder. I have a meeting tomorrow because dealership can not get injector cylinder 4 out.

Old 06-10-2020, 10:23 AM
Received 81 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Hunter Mc
Yes I own two Ftypes 2014 V8S & 2015 S
Injector issues on both both cars have had mirrored problems, outlet pipes, fuel injectors, Catalytic converters/exhaust replacement. Both cars the injectors have almost welded themselves to the inside of the cylinder. I have a meeting tomorrow because dealership can not get injector cylinder 4 out.
Sounds like they will need to pull the head.

Old 12-03-2020, 10:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is exactly what has happened to me now! 3 fuel injectors failed and the jag dealership gave me an estimate of $2400 to fix. However they called me back a few days later to tell me that the injectors have seized inside the engine's cylinder head. They are now telling me that the new cost is over $12,000! I have an extended warranty that is supposed to cover stuff like this but they have denied it claiming that it is related to a flood claim I had 6 months ago. But Jaguar says it is completely unrelated to the flood and so does every other mechanic I have spoken with. Someone please give me some advice. Thank you.

Old 12-04-2020, 03:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Same I own 2 Ftypes

Originally Posted by Schazam
This is exactly what has happened to me now! 3 fuel injectors failed and the jag dealership gave me an estimate of $2400 to fix. However they called me back a few days later to tell me that the injectors have seized inside the engine's cylinder head. They are now telling me that the new cost is over $12,000! I have an extended warranty that is supposed to cover stuff like this but they have denied it claiming that it is related to a flood claim I had 6 months ago. But Jaguar says it is completely unrelated to the flood and so does every other mechanic I have spoken with. Someone please give me some advice. Thank you.
I own 2 Jaguar Ftypes 2014 V8S & 2015 S
Both had fuel injector problems. Both had siezed injectors. Yes these problems seem to be systemic. I was told the injectors seize because of the metal combinations. Listen I was quoted higher than 12k One of my injectors was siezed so badly that it took 7 days for them to figure out a way to get it unstuck and they went off the Jaguar books to do it. They got real creative and used a lot of brute force to get it out. The other car did the same... the Jaguar dealership finally called me to tell me they couldn't get it and that they would have to take the engine out and send it to a shop to have it removed. I called a place in California that specializes in Jaguars and he walked my Jaguar service people the tool they built to have them removed. Jaguar spent another week and fashioned their own tool and finally got it out. The reason Jaguar took the advice and went the extra mile is because my other V8 S engine overheated due to the bad design of the outlet pipe and I lost my engine. $24,000 later and a coast to coast trip to California it was fixed and Jaguar inspected that independent work. I had it shipped to California to have the engine replaced instead of using my local dealership. They didn't like it... When they couldn't get it out I called my guy in California and asked him what he could do it for. He said we will remove your engine pull it and replace it for 1k. I had that phone call in front of the service manager. When he heard that he was embarrassed that his mechanics couldn't find a way to remove the siezed injector. Oddly enough days later I got a call saying they had gotten it out. My point is do not take no for an answer I didn't I used leverage. Best of luck because from what I understand from experience is that you can best it's going to happen it's just a matter of when.

Sabrinaservicewriter (04-29-2022)
Old 04-29-2022, 08:53 AM
Received 41 Likes on 21 Posts

Thank you all for sharing this information and your experience! We have a 2016 F-type 3L in for an oil change and the first thing we do with every car, is test drive our customer's vehicles, up and down the road about 1 mile. My technician came back and described the injector issue and smoke as well. Customer has an extended warranty through the dealership they said so we'll see what happens. Point being I greatly appreciated reading everyone's input and experience.

DJS (05-02-2022)