F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Type Front Lowering Springs DIY

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2021, 11:42 PM
Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Looks like you’ve gone East LA low-rider on us.
😂 This is the car meet scene in California nowadays. Contemplating swapping it over to my Civic instead.

Old 01-18-2021, 07:12 PM
Received 145 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Therock88
I used VAP, and they are progressive springs, and I would say they may actually ride better than OEM They certainly are not harsh at all. I would not be concerned about ride quality...It is good. Cannot speak for any others than VAP.

Good luck,
DC
The H&Rs smoothed out the ride a bit as well, but the drop may be too extreme for most folks.
That's reassuring to hear, ran out of time today as the intake took unexpectedly long, I will share my impression once it is done.

Old 01-22-2021, 09:01 PM

So i got the rears installed, the left side is making a clunking noise over medium bumps. No noise over small bumps. Car rides otherwise perfect even without the fronts installed, I'm guessing the left spring wasn't seated properly so it loosens on rebound making the noise.

The drop gradually settled over two days, before was about 2.2inches from fender to top of tire, after is about 1.3inch from fender to top of tire, not scientific I know, but falls right in line with VAP's 7/8'' figure. Very happy with the result so far.

Getting fronts done on monday, hopefully it doesn't take much to fix the noise.

Old 01-22-2021, 10:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 978 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray Ray
So i got the rears installed, the left side is making a clunking noise over medium bumps. No noise over small bumps. Car rides otherwise perfect even without the fronts installed, I'm guessing the left spring wasn't seated properly so it loosens on rebound making the noise.

The drop gradually settled over two days, before was about 2.2inches from fender to top of tire, after is about 1.3inch from fender to top of tire, not scientific I know, but falls right in line with VAP's 7/8'' figure. Very happy with the result so far.

Yep...knocking is either spring not properly aligned/seated in strut cap, or strut tower nuts not tightened. (Or possibly control arm, or other suspension component not reinstalled properly) Should be an easy fix.

Good luck,
DC

Old 02-11-2021, 08:28 PM

Just reporting back my impression of these springs, finally got all corners done.

It is a resounding "great", ride is definitely not harsher than stock, corners flatter, rebound is quicker, comfort is improved, even steering feels better, especially the return to center(what's the technical term?) motion is smoother and more linear now.

I will definitely recommend these if anyone is on the fence.
fence like I did.

​​​​

Old 02-12-2021, 03:53 AM
Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you transfer the spring insulator to the new springs?

Suspension Spring Insulator T2R15835

Old 02-12-2021, 08:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,652 Likes on 3,362 Posts

Just reporting back my impression of these springs, finally got all corners done.

It is a resounding "great", ride is definitely not harsher than stock, corners flatter, rebound is quicker, comfort is improved, even steering feels better, especially the return to center(what's the technical term?) motion is smoother and more linear now.

fence like I did.

​​​​
Which lowering kit did you use?

Old 02-12-2021, 08:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,652 Likes on 3,362 Posts

Originally Posted by scz4

You do need insulators. For the H&R suspension we used the OEM insulators.

Old 02-12-2021, 11:23 AM

Which lowering kit did you use?
VAP ones.

Originally Posted by scz4

These things? I left them on.

oem spring on the strut, VAP springs on the ground.

Old 03-24-2021, 02:36 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

fence like I did.

​​​​
Good to hear! I am seriously considering these lowering springs. My only worry is that I'm in Philly and the roads are horrible around here and also outside the city. Is the drop going to be an issue considering the car is already pretty vulnerable at its current stance?

Old 03-24-2021, 09:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 978 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by Ducatista83
Good to hear! I am seriously considering these lowering springs. My only worry is that I'm in Philly and the roads are horrible around here and also outside the city. Is the drop going to be an issue considering the car is already pretty vulnerable at its current stance?
Roads are SH@T here in Illinois too, and these drops are subtle enough that there are no issues. Enjoy.

DC

The following users liked this post:
Ducatista83 (03-25-2021)
Old 03-24-2021, 11:13 PM

I'm in NYC and the relatively conservative drop of 7/8" hasn't been a problem. I do encounter scrap issues where I wasn't before, but it is limited to the front sacrificial lip under the front spoiler. My driveway for example is quite steep, if I go head in it will scrap the lip every time. If I went butt in then it will scrap on exit.

You will know if you can't clear something, when you see it.

If you are talking about the ride quality, I can assure you it is every bit as good as stock, maybe, just maybe, a tiny bit better even. I haven't had to use the whole suspension travel yet, though I'm positive it is that much shorter than stock, but in that scenario, I'd be more concerned about my rims.

I have yet to encounter those plastic cover they use during road work, the ones they cover their equipment power line with, they are a huge bitch since even if you can clear it, the drop is so sharp you will compress the suspension and drop your frame right on top of it, avoid at all cost!!

Ducatista83 (03-25-2021)
Old 03-25-2021, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Therock88
Roads are SH@T here in Illinois too, and these drops are subtle enough that there are no issues. Enjoy.

DC
Good to know!

Old 03-25-2021, 09:43 AM

I'm in NYC and the relatively conservative drop of 7/8" hasn't been a problem. I do encounter scrap issues where I wasn't before, but it is limited to the front sacrificial lip under the front spoiler. My driveway for example is quite steep, if I go head in it will scrap the lip every time. If I went butt in then it will scrap on exit.

You will know if you can't clear something, when you see it.

If you are talking about the ride quality, I can assure you it is every bit as good as stock, maybe, just maybe, a tiny bit better even. I haven't had to use the whole suspension travel yet, though I'm positive it is that much shorter than stock, but in that scenario, I'd be more concerned about my rims.

I have yet to encounter those plastic covers they use during road work, the ones they cover their equipment power line with, they are a huge bitch since even if you can clear it, the drop is so sharp you will compress the suspension and drop your frame right on top of it, avoid at all cost!!
Well, thats all I need to know... If they can make it on NYC roads, I should be ok. I have never encountered those plastic covers but I have encountered massive potholes here in Philly that will drop your car into an abyss. My Audi S4 was destroyed in such a way.

Old 03-25-2021, 10:14 AM

Well, thats all I need to know... If they can make it on NYC roads, I should be ok. I have never encountered those plastic covers but I have encountered massive potholes here in Philly that will drop your car into an abyss. My Audi S4 was destroyed in such a way.
I wouldn't worry about those too much, they will swallow you awhole lowered or not ;p

​​​​

Old 01-08-2022, 03:09 AM
Received 109 Likes on 74 Posts

Thank you once again for the DIY Rock, you're a pillar in the community.

Observations:

Rears were much easier than the fronts for me. Not sure if I did something wrong, but I really had to unreasonably wrestle the upper control arm on the fronts. Also used a small scissor jack against the sway bar to expand the suspension downward to get enough clearance. Additionally, I found it basically impossible to re-align the rear struts with the shock tower bolt holes, since from below you are going in blind. I had my dad help me with this while I sat in the bare trunk and made sure the shock was aligned properly. Overall, the same basic concept but more obstacles and thus harder than coilover installs I've done on some JDM cars (G35, etc).

Tip: The rear lower strut mount bolts seemed to be around 21mm, which is larger than most socket/wrench sets since they top out at 19mm. I had a 23 wrench lying around and this worked, but I was very careful to not strip the bolt head as it was too large.

I installed Eibachs, imo they ride the same as far as stiffness but I feel a little more road feedback, especially on low quality roads. I would say about 20% more. The springs definitely appeared to be less progressive than the OEMs. Side note, I miss having colorful springs that you can see through the wheel (Eibachs are black, and I'm coming from bright green Teins lol).

The look though, complete with spacers, is really what I've been after for a year now. The Eibachs drop .6in/1in and I appreciate the increased drop in the rear to even out the perceived stock rake. Although, I would probably appreciate another quarter inch all around, but my scraping days are over so I am satisfied

Therock88 (01-08-2022)