F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-type R dyno before intake installation

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 07:37 PM
Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts

Can DEFINITELY hear the supercharger now. But u have to turn the exhaust off since it still overpowers all other sound. As far as more power, I can't tell to be honest. Will dyno again in a couple of days. So we'll see.....

The following users liked this post:
Burt Gummer (09-15-2017)
Old 09-15-2017, 12:33 PM

So here go..... Dyno after the Eventuri CAI

Old 09-15-2017, 12:44 PM
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Not an expert but since it has a supercharger, pretty sure that running rich is a safety measure to help reduce heat in the cylinder walls. I believe hot spots can form causing pre-detonation, so running rich helps keep that from happening....

sgvkirbster (09-15-2017)
Old 09-15-2017, 01:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 156 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by sgvkirbster

So here go..... Dyno after the Eventuri CAI
On my prior cars intakes have only added from 5HP to 8HP but none of those were supercharged so, personally, I am interested in learning if there is much difference on these SC'd engines. Looking forward to this so please share once you finish the runs regardless of the results.

sgvkirbster (09-15-2017)
Old 09-15-2017, 04:09 PM
Old 09-15-2017, 04:35 PM
Old 09-15-2017, 04:59 PM

So..... I arrived at KT Motoring at approximately 10:15. The car was off for 20-25 minutes before going on the dyno dynamics. 1st pull yielded 414.4 WHP. 2nd pull was lower at 408.2. 3rd pull was 416.2, matching the best run from 10 days ago. After the 3rd pull, the car was turned off and allowed to cool for several minutes. On the 4th pull, she was put in sport mode only (no dynamic, active exhaust off). 423.3 WHP was achieved.

I drew the following conclusions....

1. Eventuri padded their horsepower claims. 7.1 WHP increase is equivalent to about 9 BHP.
(9 x 0.8 = 7.2) This is nowhere near the 30-38 BHP claim they so boldly stated.

2. I could be wrong, but it seems the car achieves higher numbers when it's ran in
normal/sport rather than dynamic/sport. My final run 10 days ago also yielded the
highest numbers (normal + sport). Maybe the car puts power down better when the
suspension is not as stiff?

The owner/dyno operator commented that the car needs a tune to maximize the added power of the CAI. He said the ecu appears to be confused as to what to do with the extra air.
I'll definitely be getting a tune in the near future. My next planned mods are: 1. Quicksilver exhaust. 2. Velocity AP 200-cell cat + downpipe. 3. Velocity AP tune + pulley.

Old 09-15-2017, 05:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 640 Likes on 410 Posts

Not to rain on your parade with this; but i think we can effectively say the Eventuri intake does basically nothing. While there was a small bump in horsepower/torque for roughly 250 rpm, the rest of the curve is completely unchanged. For this to be an effective modification, you'd need that horsepower/torque increase to be across the entire (or a good portion of the) usable RPM band.

A lot of manufactures play this game, which is why we demand dyno charts to make our own conclusions. Its great if you hear them say their intake, exhaust, heads, whatever; makes XX.X horsepower, but that's only your peak gain and never even comes close to the average gain across the usable RPM band. And that's the information you really need if you're going to make smart performance decisions.

Last edited by Stohlen; 09-15-2017 at 05:59 PM.
Old 09-15-2017, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Stohlen
Not to rain on your parade with this; but i think we can effectively say the Eventuri intake does basically nothing. While there was a small bump in horsepower/torque for roughly 250 rpm, the rest of the curve is completely unchanged. For this to be an effective modification, you'd need that horsepower/torque increase to be across the entire (or a good portion of the) usable RPM band.
I agree with u. Oh well, at least I can hear the SC whine now. Hahaha. Maybe after the 200-cell cat, pulley, and tune, the CAI might actually add additional power. Who knows? But yes, this was an expensive experiment.

Last edited by sgvkirbster; 09-15-2017 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 09-15-2017, 07:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 640 Likes on 410 Posts

I agree with u. Oh well, at least I can hear the SC whine now. Hahaha. Maybe after the 200-cell cat, pulley, and tune, the CAI might actually add additional power. Who knows? But yes, this was an expensive experiment.
Indeed, a tune could be mandatory with this mod. I personally believe most mods don't work without tuning.

Old 09-16-2017, 08:56 AM
Banned
Received 324 Likes on 235 Posts

The owner/dyno operator commented that the car needs a tune to maximize the added power of the CAI. He said the ecu appears to be confused as to what to do with the extra air.
I know that like all dyno posts this has the potential for controversy.

My comment is not directed at the car owner, rather the comment from the dyno owner/ operator about "the ecu appearing to be confused about extra air"

I realise it may be down to poor choice of words but it implies serious lack of knowledge.

Humans can be confused, micro processors in ecu can't.
The program will take data from all sensors such as MAF , MAP etc it measures airflow , air temp, rpm, derives air density then uses this information to look up ignition timing and fuel required. Most turbo and supercharged engines will go with richer mixture when things get hot.
Most std ecu maps will accomodate a certain increase in airflow and select the appropriate fuelling without problems or needing a "remap".
Only substantial airflow increases are likely to to exceed the values in the airflow table and / or the capability of the fuel injectors to provide the appropriate fuelling to maintain lambda necessary to make effective use of the extra airflow.

jrodrg (01-31-2018)
Old 09-16-2017, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,062 Likes on 759 Posts

+1

Remember also that the ECU has torque limiters active, so it will control the throttle to stay at the factory determined torque levels.

So if you increase airflow, being it with a pulley or a better intake, the ECU will still cap the power to factory levels (give or take). The ECU is using he MAF and MAP signals for it.

So the only way to know how much the intake would add, is to have the limiters removed from the ECU, then do a before dyno and only the than install the intake and do a after one.

Ideally you would 1st check the actual vacuum of the intake, as that will determine if there is room for improvement.

Old 09-16-2017, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Paul_59

My comment is not directed at the car owner, rather the comment from the dyno owner/ operator about "the ecu appearing to be confused about extra air"

I realise it may be down to poor choice of words but it implies serious lack of knowledge.

The program will take data from all sensors such as MAF , MAP etc it measures airflow , air temp, rpm, derives air density then uses this information to look up ignition timing and fuel required. Most turbo and supercharged engines will go with richer mixture when things get hot.
Most std ecu maps will accomodate a certain increase in airflow and select the appropriate fuelling without problems or needing a "remap".
Only substantial airflow increases are likely to to exceed the values in the airflow table and / or the capability of the fuel injectors to provide the appropriate fuelling to maintain lambda necessary to make effective use of the extra airflow.
Most likely just a poor choice of words on MY part since I was paraphrasing. And perhaps I didn't fully understand what he was saying since English is not his 1st language. He did point out to the dips on the dyno graph when he was saying "the ecu is confused." It does make sense to me since the ecu is factory-tuned for the factory air box and every other oem component, etc. I personally believe Khiem Tran (owner & dyno operator) is very knowledgeable about these things. He specializes in custom tunes for evo's and sti's. I do understand those are completely different cars from f-types, however, to be able to do custom tunes, u MUST have expertise in these matters. Look him up on google or yelp. KT Motoring in Chatsworth, CA.

Old 09-16-2017, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by avos
+1

Remember also that the ECU has torque limiters active, so it will control the throttle to stay at the factory determined torque levels.

So if you increase airflow, being it with a pulley or a better intake, the ECU will still cap the power to factory levels (give or take). The ECU is using he MAF and MAP signals for it.

So the only way to know how much the intake would add, is to have the limiters removed from the ECU, then do a before dyno and only the than install the intake and do a after one.

Ideally you would 1st check the actual vacuum of the intake, as that will determine if there is room for improvement.
Which is why the Velocity AP tune is on my bucket list. In fact, I've been thinking about skipping the quicksilver exhaust altogether and just jumping straight to the tune, pulley, and 200 cats. I have just over 7.7k miles on the car at the moment. I was planning on doing a 2nd oil change (my 1st was a little over 1k miles) before doing the tune. But I'm feeling a little impulsive at the moment, like I wanna just jump right into it. What do u guys think? Should I just wait for the oil change or pull the trigger now?

Last edited by sgvkirbster; 09-16-2017 at 02:03 PM.
Old 09-16-2017, 01:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Which is why the Velocity AP tune is on my bucket list. In fact, I'm been thinking about skipping the quicksilver exhaust altogether and just jumping straight to the tune, pulley, and 200 cats. I have just over 7.7k miles on the car at the moment. I was planning on doing a 2nd oil change (my 1st was a little over 1k miles) before doing the tune. But I'm feeling a little impulsive at the moment, like I wanna just jump right into it. What do u guys think? Should I just wait for the oil change or pull the trigger now?
Your oil is fresh, you're well beyond the break-in period...go for the tune.

sgvkirbster (09-16-2017)
Old 09-16-2017, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Your oil is fresh, you're well beyond the break-in period...go for the tune.
I'm gonna call Stuart right now. 😉

Old 09-17-2017, 01:49 PM
Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

Thanks
Originally Posted by Paul_59

Yes.

Old 09-17-2017, 11:35 PM
Received 822 Likes on 467 Posts

I'm gonna call Stuart right now. 😉
Sorry if I missed you yesterday. I was on a court ordered work furlough.....

Actually, I was out in the woods chasing grouse and getting my cardio in. I work so much I need to get out and clear my head sometimes.

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

Old 09-17-2017, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
Sorry if I missed you yesterday. I was on a court ordered work furlough.....

Actually, I was out in the woods chasing grouse and getting my cardio in. I work so much I need to get out and clear my head sometimes.
No worries. What time should I call u tomorrow?

Old 09-18-2017, 12:39 PM
Received 822 Likes on 467 Posts

No worries. What time should I call u tomorrow?
Any time!

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com