F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Type Short People Experience

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 09:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am so immensely torn between coupe or convertible. Any input on why you bought a convertible or coupe?

Old 04-15-2018, 10:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Danielme
I am so immensely torn between coupe or convertible. Any input on why you bought a convertible or coupe?
I chose the coupe with these considerations and personal preferences:

1)The vert is a more exhilarating experience (wind through what's left of the hair, sound, smells, etc.) 2 pts
2) The coupe has more stowage for road trips.1 pt.
3) The coupe has a stiffer chassis (though the vert is extremely rigid) .5 pt.
4)My wife will never ride in a vert with the top down. (wind through the hair, sound, smells, etc.) minus .25 pt.
5)Coupe is lighter 1 pt.
6)Coupe is beautiful all the time, 1 pt.
7)Vert is beautiful with the top down . .5 pt.

3.5 pts Coupe/2.25 pts. vert.

Old 04-15-2018, 10:39 PM
Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

Some folks think everything can be reduced to numbers whereas others think some of life’s experiences are not quantifiable.

Old 04-15-2018, 10:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,113 Likes on 2,296 Posts

I went for the coupe over the 'vert mainly because I reckon the coupe looks better, and also because where I live when the weather is good for dropping the top on a 'vert the sun is often just too fierce and you end up getting burnt. I have been burnt on my neck, arms and shoulders in the XFR with the comparatively tiny sun roof open!

Old 04-15-2018, 11:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,583 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I chose the coupe with these considerations and personal preferences:

1)The vert is a more exhilarating experience (wind through what's left of the hair, sound, smells, etc.) 2 pts
2) The coupe has more stowage for road trips.1 pt.
3) The coupe has a stiffer chassis (though the vert is extremely rigid) .5 pt.
4)My wife will never ride in a vert with the top down. (wind through the hair, sound, smells, etc.) minus .25 pt.
5)Coupe is lighter 1 pt.
6)Coupe is beautiful all the time, 1 pt.
7)Vert is beautiful with the top down . .5 pt.

3.5 pts Coupe/2.25 pts. vert.
My very first test drive was in a stunning Sapphire Blue convertible. Needless to say I was immensely smitten. I wouldn't go so far to say it's more exhilarating (than the coupe) but it was tremendously enjoyable. What's not to love?

My wife too isn't a fan of convertibles nor am I a fan of the sun beating down on me for any length of time (nor am I a wearer of hats). Maybe it's because I have a Miata to enjoy top-down driving, mostly around town (i.e. not so much on the highway). Also, living in Maine, where winter tends to last quite long, isn't the most conducive State for a convertible either. The F-Type in any color and/or configuration is gorgeous but in my opinion the looks of the coupe trumps the convertible.

The best advice I can provide is trust you own gut (I don't think I'd put too much weight coupe versus convertible based on driver or passenger height...for the most part).

Old 04-15-2018, 11:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 156 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Suaro
Some folks think everything can be reduced to numbers whereas others think some of life’s experiences are not quantifiable.
When numbers provide the meaning of life:
* (ASCII)
or
42 (DEC)
or
2A (HEX)
or
101010 (Binary)

HHGTTG

Last edited by ndabunka; 04-15-2018 at 11:34 PM.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:46 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I have the coupe and I'm 5'7. I think the car is well suited to my height, except I find that the gauges are just a bit high up on the dash. I had to adjust the seat and steering wheel carefully to be low, comfortable, and keep the rim of the wheel from obscuring the speedometer and tach - but it does work out.

Old 04-16-2018, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Suaro
indeed

Old 04-16-2018, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by hades281
I have the coupe and I'm 5'7. I think the car is well suited to my height, except I find that the gauges are just a bit high up on the dash. I had to adjust the seat and steering wheel carefully to be low, comfortable, and keep the rim of the wheel from obscuring the speedometer and tach - but it does work out.
do you feel that you can see the hood of the car, or is it obscured by the instruments.

Old 04-16-2018, 08:08 AM

Does anybody know the expected depreciation curve on 2016 v6s awd coupes is. Because that is my ideal f type.

Old 04-16-2018, 08:29 AM
Veteran Member

Keep a car long enough and the depreciation curve on most cars end up with the same result. The criteria should be fun factor/$. Sorry for being so helpful.

Old 04-16-2018, 08:38 AM
Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts

I'm 5'2" and I can honestly say that I have never had a car where I could see the hood (not even my tiny Solstice). I just learn where the front ends and drive accordingly. For your decision on coupe v. convertible - go with the one that speaks to you. Drive both and see. For me, once I owned my first convertible, I'll never go back. I did have my one phase for 2 years where I thought I should be a "grown up" and got a Volvo wagon, but that didn't last long.

It's funny to me that people talk about the lack of trunk space in the convertible when I got so excited by being able to put groceries in it that I took a picture and sent it to all my friends - the first time in 10 years I haven't had to drive home with groceries in my passenger seat! Of course, if we take a trip that we are driving, we take my husband's Stinger which has plenty of space for luggage.

Old 04-16-2018, 08:50 AM
Veteran Member

Does anybody know the expected depreciation curve on 2016 v6s awd coupes is. Because that is my ideal f type.
The depreciation curve is dramatic as it is on all luxury cars. Do you have a target price point? I have access to Manheim and can pull a number to provide current wholesale pricing. The best way is to compare one year to the next but typical depreciation for any luxury car is about 50% of the retail value in 4 years so pick your flavor (v6, v8, SVR) & your timeframe & then figure out if you have the funds. If you go beyond the manufacturer's warranty period, you start seeing wider reselling values simply due to the fact that some cars are trashed by their owners in the warranty period while others are "like new" 5 years later.

Old 04-16-2018, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by ndabunka
The depreciation curve is dramatic as it is on all luxury cars. Do you have a target price point? I have access to Manheim and can pull a number to provide current wholesale pricing. The best way is to compare one year to the next but typical depreciation for any luxury car is about 50% of the retail value in 4 years so pick your flavor (v6, v8, SVR) & your timeframe & then figure out if you have the funds. If you go beyond the manufacturer's warranty period, you start seeing wider reselling values simply due to the fact that some cars are trashed by their owners in the warranty period while others are "like new" 5 years later.
I’m set on a v6 s awd. I am willing to wait about two years. Do you think they’ll be at around $35,000 then

Old 04-16-2018, 02:24 PM
Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts

I originally liked the coupe for its looks, but the ’14 only came in a convertible. But now, I definitely prefer the convertible because with the top down I can hear the engine sounds in all its glory.

Old 04-16-2018, 03:56 PM
Veteran Member

I’m set on a v6 s awd. I am willing to wait about two years. Do you think they’ll be at around $35,000 then
As the AWD option was not available until 2016, that would be the oldest model that would meet your requirements. The F-Type S Coupe is currently showing a average $48K wholesale. If you take a typical $5K yearly depreciation then your may well be able to pick one up in the high 30s sometime around the fall of 2020.

Old 04-17-2018, 01:37 AM
Received 100 Likes on 78 Posts

Wow, I didn't know there was so many short people here, right on
Height-wise the car is fine, I raised the seat up almost all the way. Old auto-cross tip for seeing down the road better. I don't think ~anyone~ can see the end of the hood? I might mention, if you are also skinny like I am, after 7500 miles, the piping in the middle of the performance seat still digs into my back. I bought the cushion that Unhingd recommended
Amazon Amazon
but it didn't work for me. I use it for my office chair now..
Originally Posted by ndabunka
The F-Type S Coupe is currently showing a average $48K wholesale.
Owwww

Old 04-17-2018, 06:43 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Misujerr
I don't think ~anyone~ can see the end of the hood?
just for grins, I checked out the line of site. You'd have to position your head 6" above the roofline to see the front edge of the clamshell hood. Even then, you can't see the front edge of the nose.

Old 04-17-2018, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
just for grins, I checked out the line of site. You'd have to position your head 6" above the roofline to see the front edge of the clamshell hood. Even then, you can't see the front edge of the nose.
interesting

Old 04-17-2018, 10:56 AM
Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts

Now I kind of want to get a picture of my view when I get back in my car this evening. I took this picture in my previous car with my phone up by my head so not centered to what I would see (was trying to get a picture of something for someone) but it's close enough. Remember I'm 5'2" and this car was even lower to the ground than the F Type (I know this because it would scrape every single speed bump in the parking deck and the Jag doesn't) and you couldn't adjust the seat height. Pretty much my whole life this is as much of the hood as I can see. I personally don't worry about not being able to see much of it since I just learn where my car is (erring on the side of thinking it's bigger than it really is) and I'm usually looking way ahead anyway. A bit of a wordy way to say I wouldn't worry too much about that - the seat is adjustable for height and as long as you can see over the steering wheel, I think you'll be fine.

Attached Thumbnails F-Type Short People Experience-solstice-view.jpg  

Quick Reply: F-Type Short People Experience