F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F type survived its first local Jaguar dealership experience!

Old 11-09-2017, 03:56 PM
Received 236 Likes on 173 Posts
Default F type survived its first local Jaguar dealership experience!

I'd been bit too paranoid, holding off getting work done on my F type, mostly cause I feared going to the local steal-er-ship. I initially attempted a visit a couple months prior, but it not go well. Besides ordering me to make an appointment, the first service advisor I met with didn't seem to think I was a reliable source of information about my own vehicle. I mentioned the water pump leak (which is visible with a flashlight if you look), the stereo fix, and the refueling issue, provided my vin and the JTB bulletin numbers. I politely asked if they could order parts so that when I brought the car in it wouldn't have to sit disassembled for a few weeks waiting for parts. You would have thought I drown his pet or something. Went off about how only a mechanic can decide what a car needs and there was no way in was going to pre order parts.

Few months later, for the most recent attempt, I made an appointment (2 weeks out). I arrived with the car, and was informed they were "a little backed up" and told it would be a few days before anyone could look at it. Told them that was fine, gave them a paper with a please do not wash vehicle sign and the stereo fix JTB # and said, no hurry, call me when its ready. A week later, it was ready, and so far it appears the fixes were done correctly.

So, my suggestions for any other car enthusiasts dreading dealership service:
1) Act naive and only offer symptoms of problems you are having, not the recommended fix/JTB number or any knowledge you have gained from this site.
2) Plan ahead, especially if this is your daily driver. If this was an urgent repair it could be inconvenient - 3 weeks from first contact until completed repair seems the average.
3) Don't visit the service lounge/waiting room. At my dealership it overlooks the service bays, which quickly became un-nerving as I couldn't help but noticing were two vehicles in the shop with their engines removed (late model Jags, but not f types). Don't want to know why....

Old 11-09-2017, 04:53 PM
Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts

I had a great first experience. I always expect to need an appointment. I called in the afternoon, they said sure bring it in tomorrow, what time would be good for you? I told him I have the stereo fix bulletin. He said he hasn't heard of it but that I should print it out and they will take care of it. I brought them the car, had a great conversation with the service manager, and they took care of everything pretty quickly. I'm in the vehicle diagnosis business and I have to agree... while the customer can provide good insight into symptoms, to pre-order expensive parts based on what the customer said, BEFORE a diagnosis by a trained technician, would almost always be a mistake. Most people simply don't know what they're talking about, sadly. This dealer always asks if I would like a loaner. Even if I am just bringing in the car for an oil change, a loaner is made available which I can use all day and come back at my leisure. I once had a loaner from them for 2 days. Sounds like I've been pretty lucky because I know some people experience a lot of frustration with dealers.

Last edited by 15FTypeR; 11-09-2017 at 04:57 PM.
Old 11-09-2017, 06:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,635 Likes on 3,358 Posts

Originally Posted by 15FTypeR
. Sounds like I've been pretty lucky because I know some people experience a lot of frustration with dealers.
A lot of us can sing praises about our dealers. Mine has always been willing to listen to me about issues and probable solutions found on this forum. If I ever buy another (new) car, it will be from them.

Old 11-09-2017, 10:47 PM
Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

I’m also in So Cal. Which dealer did you use?
CRS

Old 11-09-2017, 11:51 PM
Received 236 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by CRS 123
I’m also in So Cal. Which dealer did you use?
CRS
Penske in Cerritos.