F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are F-Types Illegal in California?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 08:48 AM
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JIMLIGHTA
Thats just a lot of bad assumptions strung together.

One, the thing I love most about the F-Type is its unmatched loudeness and exhaust note, at any price. Even my V6 is awesome. I hear that will fail worse than my V8, I'll measure my wife's car when able.

Two, I could not care less that CA residents have allowed themselves to be royally screwed by auto-hating morons, they deserve every bit of it because they are lazy and ineffective at defending what they love. So lazy, they didn't even know about it. I'm poking them simply because they deserve it. Their inability to fight off far more motivated petulant children is embarrassing and it does affect all of us.

Third, this was a process of discovery for me. I didn't even realize how f'd they really are.
Troll....sounds like he doesn't even reside in the state which makes sense seeing as he dodged my direct question earlier in the thread. Does he have nothing better to do?

Old 01-31-2019, 09:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

So now you have to be a resident of the state to be able to comment upon one of its ridiculous regulations? I guess that means that if you're a man, you can't have an opinion about abortion either? The new enforcement parameters of the law have been the subject of lots of discussion on many other automotive forums as well. It is of concern to many of us that have cars on the fringe and who still want to drive our performance cars for weekend spirited runs without the additional worry.. I live in this crazy state, so I guess that allows me the privilege of commenting.

Old 01-31-2019, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by tberg
So now you have to be a resident of the state to be able to comment upon one of its ridiculous regulations? I guess that means that if you're a man, you can't have an opinion about abortion either? The new enforcement parameters of the law have been the subject of lots of discussion on many other automotive forums as well. It is of concern to many of us that have cars on the fringe and who still want to drive our performance cars for weekend spirited runs without the additional worry.. I live in this crazy state, so I guess that allows me the privilege of commenting.
If you don't live in CA, why would you care? He's just stirring the pot and fear mongering.

Old 01-31-2019, 10:14 AM
Banned
Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by rexus31
If you don't live in CA, why would you care?
A better question is why would you not care about the F-Type in an F-Type forum? California, the largest sports car market, outlawing everything louder than 1/7th our measured performance is an existential threat to the survival of the car. Obviously.

Old 01-31-2019, 10:23 AM

A better question is why would you not care about the F-Type in an F-Type forum? California, the largest sports car market, outlawing everything louder than 1/7th our measured performance is an existential threat to the survival of the car. Obviously.
The F-Type is not the target. Driving over the legal speed limit is illegal but you still do it.

I guess all California sports car owners should sell their cars! They're all illegal! Dude, the sky is not falling. The noise level law has always been there and always will. Blatantly modified cars and motorcycles will be targeted; a very small percentage of F-Types will. I'm not the least bit worried and I'm a resident. Time to move on.

Old 01-31-2019, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 531 Likes on 347 Posts

Let's stick with facts.

Is the F-Type illegal in California? The answer, based solely on facts, is no, it is not illegal. Here are my facts:

The F-Type is for sale in California. In order for this to happen, it has to pass a number of California specific tests, not the least of which are those from CARB. It passed them all.
I bought an F-Type in California, from a dealer.. This supports the previous fact.
I registered my F-Type in California.
F-Types are still for sale in California.
The noise level restriction has not changed.

These are all indisputable facts.

Moving on to observations, I have passed many law enforcement units, even after Jan. 1. This includes but is not limited to: CHP, city police (SFPD, to name one) and sheriffs. Some were actively practicing traffic enforcement. At no time was I pulled over. I drive my car more than weekend enthusiasts as mine is my daily driver. This has allowed me to build a larger data sampling.

The following 2 users liked this post by eeeeek:
DaveC (02-01-2019), rexus31 (01-31-2019)
Old 01-31-2019, 11:56 AM
Banned

The F-Type is not the target. Driving over the legal speed limit is illegal but you still do it.
The point you miss is that if cited, the car cannot be registered without complying via the new process. At that point, your car is an out of state sale with a CA registration fail on the car fax. I couldn't care less, CA is a lost cause for car enthusiasts at this point. None left.

Old 01-31-2019, 12:08 PM

The point you miss is that if cited, the car cannot be registered without complying via the new process. At that point, your car is an out of state sale with a CA registration fail on the car fax. I couldn't care less, CA is a lost cause for car enthusiasts at this point. None left.
Per a CA state judge as posted in a reply above, "it only applies to vehicles that have been modified or allowed to fall into a state of disrepair." My car does not fall into either of these categories therefore, I am not worried. At this point, you are belaboring the point just to stir the pot. I hope you got the amusement you were seeking when you started this thread. You think all OEM equipped sports cars will inevitably be unable to be registered in CA due to gross violations of the noise statute which has been on the books for decades and I disagree. Thank you for your concern but we will agree to disagree. Case closed. NEXT!

The following users liked this post:
Jaggyx (01-31-2019)
Old 01-31-2019, 12:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 173 Posts

This thread is amazing.

Old 01-31-2019, 12:24 PM
Banned

Per a CA state judge as posted in a reply above, "it only applies to vehicles that have been modified or allowed to fall into a state of disrepair." My car does not fall into either of these categories therefore, I am not worried. At this point, you are belaboring the point just to stir the pot. I hope you got the amusement you were seeking when you started this thread. You think all OEM equipped sports cars will inevitably be unable to be registered in CA due to gross violations of the noise statute which has been on the books for decades and I disagree. Thank you for your concern but we will agree to disagree. Case closed. NEXT!
​​​​​​There are lots of stock citations with referee fails on youtube. So much for your judge.

Old 01-31-2019, 12:32 PM

​​​​​​There are lots of stock citations with referee fails on youtube. So much for your judge.
Thank you for your concern.

Old 01-31-2019, 01:23 PM
Old 01-31-2019, 01:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 527 Likes on 371 Posts

Two, I could not care less that CA residents have allowed themselves to be royally screwed by auto-hating morons, they deserve every bit of it because they are lazy and ineffective at defending what they love. So lazy, they didn't even know about it. I'm poking them simply because they deserve it. Their inability to fight off far more motivated petulant children is embarrassing and it does affect all of us..
Well, a lot of us who live in California have to actually go to work and stuff, unfortunately. It's the motivated petulant children who live off the government who have time to go out and protest. The best we can do is vote but even that doesn't make a difference. For instance, a sizeable tax on gas and registration fees was imposed early last year. There was a prop on the ballot this past November to rescind the tax and make it so that citizens would have to vote to approve any such taxes in the future. Seems like a no-brainer, doesn't it? Well, what do you suppose happened? Everybody with even half a brain voted to rescind the tax...but the prop still failed. Voter fraud or just a bunch of morons?

The following users liked this post:
Noshame (02-01-2019)
Old 01-31-2019, 01:44 PM
Banned

Someone brought this petition to my attention, I have no affiliation. Apparently 255,000 Californians are concerned enough to act just a few weeks into the law, and growing. I think it would be a crying shame if the 95 dba lawnmower limit became the new car standard because of the ICE haters in CA.

CA Petition

Also of note, CA is currently on a Federal grant that pays for dedicated officers Statewide tasked to do nothing but ticket as many exausts as possible and are working 24/7. Lots of youtube videos going up recording the pull-overs. Apparently the officers are required to explain the federal program at the point of citation. They issue $1000 tickets on the first offense, and warn that if the offender drives the car off as is, they could be hit again. No sound measurements or vehicle inspections are needed or made to issue the citation(s). So thats $108 for each test plus $100 - $300 for the tow and perhaps $150 for a no reservation rental car for 2 days. That's before installing a new exhaust system if you fail the first test, and before the $1000 fine. Even if you pass, its a $500 harrassment, every time.

Yes, in America.

You're welcome.

Last edited by JIMLIGHTA; 01-31-2019 at 02:15 PM.
Old 01-31-2019, 06:28 PM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

Someone brought this petition to my attention, I have no affiliation. Apparently 255,000 Californians are concerned enough to act just a few weeks into the law, and growing. I think it would be a crying shame if the 95 dba lawnmower limit became the new car standard because of the ICE haters in CA.

CA Petition

Also of note, CA is currently on a Federal grant that pays for dedicated officers Statewide tasked to do nothing but ticket as many exausts as possible and are working 24/7. Lots of youtube videos going up recording the pull-overs. Apparently the officers are required to explain the federal program at the point of citation. They issue $1000 tickets on the first offense, and warn that if the offender drives the car off as is, they could be hit again. No sound measurements or vehicle inspections are needed or made to issue the citation(s). So thats $108 for each test plus $100 - $300 for the tow and perhaps $150 for a no reservation rental car for 2 days. That's before installing a new exhaust system if you fail the first test, and before the $1000 fine. Even if you pass, its a $500 harrassment, every time.

Yes, in America.

You're welcome.
HATER! Do you really find it necessary to mock the laws and/or F-Type owners of a state you don't even live in. I'm quite ecstatic to be a native of this Golden State and your petty whining is not going to change that!
And yes, as I stated before, the language of the law as written 60 years ago when combined with the language of the new enforcement procedure creates a highly subjective avenue for officers to cite and penalize perfectly legal vehicles, merely because the officer was having a bad day... Like many new laws that go on the books across our country, this one will either be rescinded via petition and public outcry, or at the very least, will be subject to a clean-up bill and re-write in a future legislative session. Happens all the time.

Old 01-31-2019, 07:22 PM
Banned

Sorry, I don't have a mangina.

Old 01-31-2019, 08:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by XJ8JR
Well, a lot of us who live in California have to actually go to work and stuff, unfortunately. It's the motivated petulant children who live off the government who have time to go out and protest. The best we can do is vote but even that doesn't make a difference. For instance, a sizeable tax on gas and registration fees was imposed early last year. There was a prop on the ballot this past November to rescind the tax and make it so that citizens would have to vote to approve any such taxes in the future. Seems like a no-brainer, doesn't it? Well, what do you suppose happened? Everybody with even half a brain voted to rescind the tax...but the prop still failed. Voter fraud or just a bunch of morons?
Here we have a legitimate difference of opinion. I was advocating an increase in gas tax for years before this happened. When it passed I saw necessary repairs on my commute route start happening almost immediately. I hit a pothole in the dark on my motorcycle and while I was fortunate to not crash it broke the front wheel and destroyed the tire. That, plus the tow, was enough to cover the extra tax on about 3000 gallons of gasoline. I voted against the repeal.

Old 02-01-2019, 12:23 AM
Received 131 Likes on 96 Posts

Hi All,
In Singapore (a real nanny state) now but, back to CA in 2020. I really don't care about the sound. I'm buying and F-type and the Devil be damned! My X150 was quiet except on full throttle. My old X100 was another story. The exhaust was heavily modified and was not a "Gentlemen's Jaguar". If you blast by a cop at 85 you're going to get a ticket and I would bet it will be for speeding and not that your exhaust is over 95db.
Cheers

Old 02-01-2019, 07:05 AM
Banned

In another thread about Fuse 43, it dawned on me that the June 2016 software update made my car, and many other 2014s in this forum, super quiet.

Googling the fix to that problem is actually what lead me to this forum. Duh.

So it is entirely possible post 2016 cars are waaaaaaaaaaaay quieter than 2014, 2015, many or all 2016s. My 2016 is a V6 but was also manuafactured pre-update.

The 2016 software update reduced my loud mode by maybe 75% compared to quiet mode, especially at lower RPM. I was furious. They fixed it with a patch, but I'd still say I'm only 90% of original below 3500 RPM.

The other thing not entirely fixed is the crackles and pops, which used to go crazy all the time, now require me to feather the throttle a little, and low RPM crackles are harder to find even that way. On an uphill grade, especially hard. But rather than let let screw Jag screw up worse, its acceptably originally loud again. Barely.

So, apologies, SVRs would all be running the quiet software and it makes an enormous difference.

Last edited by JIMLIGHTA; 02-01-2019 at 07:44 AM.
Old 02-01-2019, 07:29 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,386 Likes on 1,053 Posts

The software "fix" didn't noticeably affect the loudness or crackles and pops in my MY18 V8 AWD, I think it's still as mad a car as before the update.

Quick Reply: Are F-Types Illegal in California?