Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First startup and drive after 5 winter months

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2018, 06:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 337 Likes on 212 Posts
Default First startup and drive after 5 winter months

The car was placed in the (not heated) garage late october last year. Winter preparation was clean and dry car, new engine oil, increased tire pressure (50 pounds), full tank, indoor car cover and a sock full of dry rice inside cabin (to soak up moisture).

I have charged the battery once every 6-8 weeks (last time was 4 weeks ago). I have not been into the car (not opened any doors except for the rear hatch when connecting the battery charger), windows have been closed.

The winter has been unusually long and hard. Temperaturs have mostly been below zero celsius, and often below - 10 to - 15 celsius for extended periodes.

Today it was + 4 celsius, and there is still snow on the side of the roads. The roads are clear of snow but with lots of gritts and stone pebbles, but I could not wait any longer to start it up and drive for a short trip to see if everything worked well.

Removed the cover and it looked great. No humidity inside the cabin, no bad smell, doors, windows, mirrors and steering wheel moved easilly without any hesitation or "strange" sounds.

Pushed the start button and the engine started without any hesitation. The exaust walve closed after initial startup (also without any "strange" sounds), engine sounded good. Put it into reverse and backed out of the garage. Brakes did not "hang" (it was parked on level surface without engaging the el. park brake). Let out the extra air pressure from the tires, and drove off.

No flat spots could be felt from the tires. The first gearshifts were maybe a bit more "harsh" than I could remember, but everything felt normal after a few shifts.

It felt SO good to drive the car after the long winter, but I only drove a few miles due to the bad conditions of the roads. The traction was lousy due to pebbles, dirt and cold weather, so the rear tires broke loose everytime I gave some gas. I know you all knows it, but this car has some serious low end grunts

I checked the oil level after the trip, and it was spot on at the full level mark (as it was when I put it away for winter). I also checked the garage floor when the car was out, and no signs of any leaks from engine or differential.

So to sum it up, the F-type seems to have taken the long hibernation very well, but the roads needs to be cleaned and the weather warmer, before I can start to really appreciate some good drives. Hopefully that won't be too long, and both the car and I are very ready for it

The following 6 users liked this post by Arne:
Buckingham (04-07-2018), DPelletier (04-20-2018), malbec (04-07-2018), Mbourne (04-09-2018), Tayls77 (04-12-2018), uncheel (04-08-2018) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-07-2018, 08:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

Sounds similar to my experience last week here in the never ending winter when I brought mine out of hibernation. Similar storage condition, except no rice. I did use clothes dryer softner sheets in various places to ward off rodents. Did your rotors have a bit of surface rust?

Last edited by jaguny; 04-07-2018 at 09:09 AM.
Old 04-07-2018, 08:32 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,063 Likes on 1,369 Posts

+2. Pulled mine out last weekend. Did one nice hour+ top-down cruise, but otherwise, weather has been crap.

Mine was stored in a barn. Cheap car cover under zip-up Rhino car envelope. Sprinkled a box of mothballs around the car - no rodent issues.

Battery was dead in the remote, so replaced batteries in both remotes.

Old 04-07-2018, 08:39 AM
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

still waiting myself....27 degrees and still snowing in western new york...just unbelievable.

Old 04-07-2018, 09:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 256 Posts

It has snowed four times in Cincinnati since the first day of spring. More than it snowed during the winter. Changed to summer rubber weeks ago. Feeling really planted, let me tell you.

Old 04-07-2018, 09:23 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jaguny
Sounds similar to my experience last week here in the never ending winter when I brought mine out of hibernation. Similar storage condition, except no rice. I did use clothes dryer softner sheets in various places to ward off rodents. Did your rotors have a bit of surface rust?
I made sure the rotors were clean and dry before I parked it for winter (a few real hard brakings from relativ high speed after last wash made sure of that). Could not see any surface rust when I checked earlier today.

They do rust quickly after (even during...) a wash though, so I have gotten used to the "after wash braking" prosedure

Old 04-07-2018, 10:04 AM
Received 294 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Arne
the "after wash braking" procedure
Ah yes that one.
“Well officer, I was just using the after wash braking procedure. You know, up to 150 then Brake hard. No rust after that believe me!”

The following users liked this post:
jaguny (04-07-2018)
Old 04-07-2018, 10:13 AM
Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

I am still waiting here in Ontario. There is snow on the ground and the roads are covered with salt and grit.
I will wait till it warms up and we get some good spring rains to wash the salt off the roads. I plan on never selling my RWD V8S.

Old 04-07-2018, 11:20 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by enfield
I am still waiting here in Ontario. There is snow on the ground and the roads are covered with salt and grit.
I will wait till it warms up and we get some good spring rains to wash the salt off the roads. I plan on never selling my RWD V8S.
I know what you mean. We had some good rain a couple of days ago that hopefully got rid of most of the salt, and the roads were dry but full of small stones/pebbles today. Just could not resist any longer

I plan on never selling my R neither, and have also treated the underbody with a "light" anti-corotion application, even though it is not used during winter.

Old 04-08-2018, 06:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 563 Likes on 382 Posts

Glad to have (almost) everyone back on the prowl. I can't image having to do without the F-Type for 5 months and very glad to have moved out of Connecticut.

I have a couple of spare parking spots for anyone who'd like to winter over in the unfrozen south. Bring your clubs and you can get a round in at Pinehurst while you're at it. (That probably wouldn't work well for Arne, though.)

The following users liked this post:
Tayls77 (04-12-2018)
Old 04-09-2018, 05:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

Mine has been sitting for 2-1/2 months. Its coming out very soon! i couldn't stand 5 months. The 2 plus has been killing me. If not this coming weekend then definitely the next.

Old 04-09-2018, 06:14 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,063 Likes on 1,369 Posts

46 degrees for the commute home today, but I had to put the top down, because... I had to.

Old 04-09-2018, 07:31 PM
Received 350 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
46 degrees for the commute home today, but I had to put the top down, because... I had to.
Took mine out of storage a few weeks ago and have been out with the top down with the heated seats and steering wheel, and heater on full blast. The sound is so much better with the top down.

Old 04-09-2018, 09:39 PM
Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

Took mine out a week ago and was quickly reminded why I enjoy this car. Top down for a few minutes brought back some good memories from last summer.

Still cold so the heated wheel is nice.

Can someone speak to someone about giving us a proper spring please.

Old 04-10-2018, 12:38 AM
Received 236 Likes on 173 Posts

90 degrees here in LA today, still haven't had mine out for 3 weeks, too darn busy...

Old 04-10-2018, 12:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,113 Likes on 2,296 Posts

Got to near 100F here in Adelaide today and it's meant to be mid-autumn (fall in NA speak). Too hot to drive with the window down or the pano roof cover open!

Old 04-10-2018, 06:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbourne
Mine has been sitting for 2-1/2 months. Its coming out very soon! i couldn't stand 5 months. The 2 plus has been killing me. If not this coming weekend then definitely the next.
Marko,
That is self-imposed punishment. I'm just 70 miles to the south of you and have had mine out and about all winter. Get with the program!

Old 04-10-2018, 07:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,583 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Marko,
That is self-imposed punishment. I'm just 70 miles to the south of you and have had mine out and about all winter. Get with the program!
+1,000.

He may be Unhingd but he does have an excellent point.

Old 04-10-2018, 09:15 AM
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

I must admit, with Spring being rescheduled to a later date this year in the upper Midwest, I am long past my tolerance level albeit a snow-covered earth. For many years I have lived by the principle that I shan’t drive on salt encrusted roads, however I don’t think I can make it past this weekend. The current scheduled weather is 39F/4C for Saturday, but with desperation well established, the rational for this principle is waning. I have the climate pack after all, and there is that snowflake button, obviously they expected it to be driven in these conditions.

Old 04-10-2018, 07:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
+1,000.

He may be Unhingd but he does have an excellent point.
I stand duly and justly chastised.

Quick Reply: First startup and drive after 5 winter months