F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front of car squashed

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 09:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

That's a heart-breaker of an image, but from what I've heard (no solid information on my part) the front is designed to be repairable. I think everything forward of the front axle line is bolt-on rather than riveted and bonded. If someone knows differently, I'm sure they'll correct me.

That's not to say it'll be cheap, but that it's not actually structural. I think there are only two shops in the Bay Area certified by JLR to do repairs on the all-aluminum cars, but I've only dealt with the one in the East Bay. Their work was exemplary, by the way.

Old 01-18-2018, 09:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

As a former founding partner in an automated parking structure bulding company, the bump stops or whatever physical barrier is placed in front of the car is a secondary precaution to the myriad of sensors and cameras that will prevent the system from functioning if the car is not within the range it needs to be. We built the first apartment based system in California about 7 years ago, and the only damage incident of which I'm aware was to a passenger door that was left slightly ajar and swung open when the turntable platform spun around, the door fully opened and was damaged on the way down to the lower level. And we had a questionaire that you had to answer before you left the garage and before the system would engage. One of the questions was whether you had checked to make sure all of your doors were closed.

Old 01-18-2018, 11:09 PM
Received 150 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by tberg
As a former founding partner in an automated parking structure bulding company, the bump stops or whatever physical barrier is placed in front of the car is a secondary precaution to the myriad of sensors and cameras that will prevent the system from functioning if the car is not within the range it needs to be. We built the first apartment based system in California about 7 years ago, and the only damage incident of which I'm aware was to a passenger door that was left slightly ajar and swung open when the turntable platform spun around, the door fully opened and was damaged on the way down to the lower level. And we had a questionaire that you had to answer before you left the garage and before the system would engage. One of the questions was whether you had checked to make sure all of your doors were closed.
I wish my building was using your system.

Old 01-18-2018, 11:13 PM

Update:

Car is with the Jaguar body shop. They haven't taken the bumper off yet, they are waiting for the insurance appraiser, but he said he has worked on 3 F-Types with major front-end damage and it is very unlikely looking from the outside that the frame was touched, but he won't know 100% until he takes a look. His guess is that only bolt on parts are damaged (~$15k worth of damages). He expects the repairs to take 1-2 months, and 3 months if a part is back ordered.

After he is completed with the work. I will then have to get the car color-corrected to perfection. Then re-apply my clear bra, and reapply the wrap (i.e. stripes), and then reapply the ceramic. That could add another 2-3 weeks.

Last edited by zmoothg; 01-18-2018 at 11:19 PM.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

Hey that's great news. Some light at the end of the tunnel. Just plan on four months and you won't be disappointed.

Old 01-19-2018, 04:27 AM
Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

Ugh! Good luck to you. It seems that this is one of those reasons for comprehensive insurance and then you let them hassle with the rest. Of course your rates will go up and, in my experience, the only way to avoid that is to out-of-pocket while fighting the battle with the apartment company and their lawyers. I suspect that would be a longer and more expensive fight than just using your own insurance and suffering the rate increase for a few years.
Larry

Old 01-19-2018, 06:53 AM
Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

some light at the end of the tunnel at least then

Old 01-19-2018, 10:30 AM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

A 2008 (ie a decade ago) engineering risk assessment of a Klaus Parking system (probably not the same exact one, but the 'feature' causing this accident may be the same):

https://www.cityofsanmateo.org/Docum...Home/View/3205

Page 7, item 2: concludes that this type of accident is 'reasonably probable' to occur, resulting in 'moderate' property damage. 'Reasonably probable' is defined as occurring on an annual basis. Cause given as 'operator error' or 'insufficient training' wrt placement of the car relative to the 'stops', or positioning of the stops themselves.

FWIW....

The following 2 users liked this post by mshedden:
15FTypeR (01-19-2018), mbelanger (01-20-2018)
Old 01-19-2018, 01:16 PM
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by lsbrodsky
Ugh! Good luck to you. It seems that this is one of those reasons for comprehensive insurance and then you let them hassle with the rest. Of course your rates will go up and, in my experience, the only way to avoid that is to out-of-pocket while fighting the battle with the apartment company and their lawyers. I suspect that would be a longer and more expensive fight than just using your own insurance and suffering the rate increase for a few years.
Larry
Individual insurance rate won't necessarily go up after a routine claim here in California (wildfires, quakes, floods, mudslides, etc... notwithstanding - but that could be argued as routine given the past year). It could, but it is not a given as it was in the old days. You can always switch carriers after the claim is paid if the current carrier is being difficult.

Old 01-19-2018, 01:41 PM

Here in NC I have talked to 3 different insurance companies about this issue and they all said that if you make a collision claim your rates will increase at the next renewal. Didn't matter how long you had been a customer, how long since the previous claim. I cannot speak to comprehensive. I asked the question as I had an issue, trying to decide whether to pay out-of-pocket or insurance.
Larry

Old 01-19-2018, 05:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Here in NC I have talked to 3 different insurance companies about this issue and they all said that if you make a collision claim your rates will increase at the next renewal. Didn't matter how long you had been a customer, how long since the previous claim. I cannot speak to comprehensive. I asked the question as I had an issue, trying to decide whether to pay out-of-pocket or insurance.
Larry
At least in the states where I have resided, a claim will only result in increased premiums if you are found at fault or unable to identify the responsible party. In this case, the parking garage is at fault and their insurance will cover this claim.

Old 01-19-2018, 06:21 PM

Not so sure the end result will be the garage is at fault. I bet they claim he positioned the car incorrectly and he probably signed a document absolving the garage of any liability.
Larry

Old 01-19-2018, 07:08 PM
Veteran Member

Not so sure the end result will be the garage is at fault. I bet they claim he positioned the car incorrectly and he probably signed a document absolving the garage of any liability.
Larry
oh..It didn’t occur to me that he might’ve parked it himself on that contraption. I wouldn’t think you’d let the general public anywhere close to operating equipment like that. Many people are challenged trying to operate a simple garage door.

Old 01-19-2018, 08:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 640 Likes on 410 Posts

I believe this is our first forum member appearance on Jalopnik's front page... so you know, you've got that going for you.

Old 01-19-2018, 09:50 PM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
oh..It didn’t occur to me that he might’ve parked it himself on that contraption. I wouldn’t think you’d let the general public anywhere close to operating equipment like that. Many people are challenged trying to operate a simple garage door.
I really can't believe it doesn't (apparently) have any sensors or safety lockout to prevent such an obvious accident from occurring. The engineering report (in my above post) mentioned a car's rear bumper being ripped off in a similar manner, so apparently it doesn't have sensors in the rear either (i.e. when a car failed to pull all the way in).

Old 01-20-2018, 07:40 AM
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by mshedden
I really can't believe it doesn't (apparently) have any sensors or safety lockout to prevent such an obvious accident from occurring. The engineering report (in my above post) mentioned a car's rear bumper being ripped off in a similar manner, so apparently it doesn't have sensors in the rear either (i.e. when a car failed to pull all the way in).
You would think they can have a least a string and a tennis ball to let you know your good.

Old 01-20-2018, 04:05 PM
Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

I just read this on jalopnic and was about to post the story. Didnt realize it was a fellow members car that really sucks brother. Hope the car gets right as rain soon

Last edited by Prophizee; 01-21-2018 at 09:08 AM.
Old 01-20-2018, 05:33 PM
Received 123 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
With as short as the car is compared with others, I have to suspect this was done on purpose.
What? Not sure what you mean here.... you think the car's owner did it on purpose? That doesn't compute......

Old 01-20-2018, 09:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by drbill
What? Not sure what you mean here.... you think the car's owner did it on purpose? That doesn't compute......
I was originally thinking that this was done by a parking attendant. I did not realize this sort of facility was self operated. Of course, none of us would ever purposefully do something like this to their own F-Type.

Old 01-20-2018, 09:15 PM

This was an unfortunate accident and it's sad seeing my car in this condition. Breaks my heart. I do wish I was properly informed of the consequences of having the car reside outside of the parking box. It was an honest mistake and one I think anyone could make, especially with such a shallow bump-stop. I obviously had no idea I went over it. This accident occurred at ~2pm, I was definitely not impaired as assumed by the President of Klaus. I was running a midday errand before parking it and meeting a client.
I knew the machine had sensors in the rear but I had no idea it did not have sensors in the front. I was under the assumption the machine would protect itself from an accident like this. Anyways I'm here, carless and waiting to see how things shake out with insurance. If fault is pointed at me I will likely be forced to litigate. I did not sign any waivers in regards to the garage use, I was not adequately educated to the risk associated with parking in the system, and I believe this is a very dangerous design flaw to not have sensors. It's life **** happens.

The following users liked this post:
sparky fuze (01-22-2018)

Quick Reply: Front of car squashed