F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front of car squashed

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 10:16 AM
Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Jayt2
From Klaus, typical intimidating lawyer speak, trying to intimidate the consumer/victim in stopping any possible legal action.
I'd go back and say that their engineers were impaired in designing the faulty system.
Good luck with anything you do.
You have that 100% completely backward. ANY lawyer worth their license would have advised Klaus against saying what it did.

You need to keep your preconceptions under control.

The following users liked this post:
ndabunka (01-22-2018)
Old 01-22-2018, 10:19 AM
Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Norri
I agree with you 100% that people need to be responsible for their own actions, but this was a machine designed to move cars around, it should be a fundamental part of the design to ensure that the machine doesn't destroy the cars when it moves them.
Yep, not fit for purpose - big heavy lifting machinery should have safety measures to prevent this. What if the driver had a 'fit/seizure' and fell accross the platform? Squish?

Old 01-22-2018, 10:53 AM
Received 150 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by lsbrodsky
I wish you luck but I must provoke those who think we should "nanny" error out of everything in our lives. There is way too much of that by government agencies and litigation. Why not eliminate sharp edges on knives so that no one can accidentally cut themselves? That thought can go on and on. Cars are inherently dangerous, but we tolerate that for the benefits. This was avoidable by the operator and I hate to see the designer blamed because he did not engineer an error-proof solution. Life is full of cost-benefit tradeoffs.
If the owner had some responsibility in this event, he should just accept that and make his insurance claim.

Larry
Let's just say if my car was a human being instead would you claim the same? Luckily it was just a car that was hurt, but it could've been a lot worst. This machine is offered to be used by the general public so failsafes should be in place. Klaus even admitted that his company will be adding sensors in the future, because this is clearly a risk and not the first occurrence. Training on the machine is a quick 10 minutes or less and then you are on your own.

Old 01-22-2018, 11:14 AM
Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

I wish you luck but I must provoke those who think we should "nanny" error out of everything in our lives. There is way too much of that by government agencies and litigation. Why not eliminate sharp edges on knives so that no one can accidentally cut themselves? That thought can go on and on. Cars are inherently dangerous, but we tolerate that for the benefits. This was avoidable by the operator and I hate to see the designer blamed because he did not engineer an error-proof solution. Life is full of cost-benefit tradeoffs.
If the owner had some responsibility in this event, he should just accept that and make his insurance claim.

Larry
Hey, so how's that Volvo of yours? Lot of great safety features. Are you familiar with Volvo's Vision 2020 program? Their plan is that their cars will so designed and built that there will be zero fatalities in Volvo cars by that year. Very ambitious, but of course they invented the automotive seat belt. There was an interesting item in the paper this weekend that New Hampshire does not require the use of seat belts. Gives new meaning to the motto "Live Free or Die."

Last edited by Suaro; 01-22-2018 at 11:18 AM.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:27 AM
Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

I don't and will never buy a car for the safety features; the US Government already mandates enough safety features. I suppose a mandated breathalyzer-ignition interlock is next. Actually, if the government would outlaw bad drivers from the roads, most safety features would not be necessary. We got the Volvo for comfort, performance, and storage space.
Once upon a time I had to ride manlifts to upper floors of the plant, even some ladders to high spaces. Both deadly, with no interlocks. Some training was required and you needed to keep your head in the game. Even if it were a person on that car lift, I would say he or she needed to know what he was doing before pushing any buttons. You cannot expect all hazards to be engineered away. Well maybe you can, but there is a cost for that. Goodness, you are willing to drive a car that will go more than 120 mph, much more of a hazard than a car lift.
Larry

Old 01-22-2018, 11:50 AM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

I don't and will never buy a car for the safety features; the US Government already mandates enough safety features. I suppose a mandated breathalyzer-ignition interlock is next. Actually, if the government would outlaw bad drivers from the roads, most safety features would not be necessary. We got the Volvo for comfort, performance, and storage space.
Once upon a time I had to ride manlifts to upper floors of the plant, even some ladders to high spaces. Both deadly, with no interlocks. Some training was required and you needed to keep your head in the game. Even if it were a person on that car lift, I would say he or she needed to know what he was doing before pushing any buttons. You cannot expect all hazards to be engineered away. Well maybe you can, but there is a cost for that. Goodness, you are willing to drive a car that will go more than 120 mph, much more of a hazard than a car lift.
Larry
You can't engineer all faults away, however learning from accidents should result in continuous safety improvements to make sure risk and danger is reduced. If we can reduce errors and therefore risk why wouldn't / shouldn't we? The aviation industry is a great example of this mindset.

In your example above, the workplace of the past is a pretty dangerous place. By "nannying" errors out of this hazardous environment peoples lives are saved.

Old 01-22-2018, 12:21 PM

ek993, I do not disagree that it can be done. But where do you draw the line? In the good old USA we like individual freedom and choice, which has diminished over the years. Lots of analysis out there on cost of a life and what should be spent to preclude a death. At the extreme, I would think banning motorcars would preserve more lives than probably anything else man could do. But then we would all have to live and work in an urban environment, not a cost we are willing to pay. I am simply saying that I do not necessarily believe that engineering a car elevator to preclude any possibility of damage or injury is the right solution. We take a risk every time we get in that beautiful car, statistically one of the greatest risks of our lives. I am not looking for agreement, really, just acceptance that I can ride my own horse.
Larry

Old 01-22-2018, 12:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,640 Likes on 3,362 Posts

Originally Posted by Suaro
Gives new meaning to the motto "Live Free or Die."
Shouldn't that be: "Live Free & Die."?

Old 01-22-2018, 01:02 PM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Suaro
You have that 100% completely backward. ANY lawyer worth their license would have advised Klaus against saying what it did.

You need to keep your preconceptions under control.
Agreed. As i commented above, I actually laughed when I read that. There is no way they ran that by their attorney.

Old 01-22-2018, 01:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

"Run that by their attorney" is a plague on our society. Just like mandatory safety labels on everything.

This jar of peanut butter may contain peanuts. Don't insert the jar or its contents into your anus, unless prescribed by your doctor. Jar is not to be consumed.

The following 2 users liked this post by SinF:
Abarak (01-22-2018), RudyF6 (02-04-2018)
Old 01-22-2018, 01:37 PM
Received 356 Likes on 240 Posts

This thread has been an interesting read so far. I would tend to agree that the elevator should have had a means of warning the user that the car was not in proper position before moving. Perhaps it did but it malfunctioned or someone defeated it by accident or on purpose. I also believe that users of such devices have some responsibility for using them correctly. That said from my many years in charge of an engineering group that designed high speed production equipment that needed all kinds of failsafes and safety devices to make sure the operators didn't get eaten by them we always remembered the following:

The problem with trying to design machines that are foolproof to operate is that fools are so dammed clever.

BTW no disrespect for the OP is intended. He has my sympathy.

Old 01-22-2018, 08:15 PM
Received 150 Likes on 104 Posts

ek993, I do not disagree that it can be done. But where do you draw the line? In the good old USA we like individual freedom and choice, which has diminished over the years. Lots of analysis out there on cost of a life and what should be spent to preclude a death. At the extreme, I would think banning motorcars would preserve more lives than probably anything else man could do. But then we would all have to live and work in an urban environment, not a cost we are willing to pay. I am simply saying that I do not necessarily believe that engineering a car elevator to preclude any possibility of damage or injury is the right solution. We take a risk every time we get in that beautiful car, statistically one of the greatest risks of our lives. I am not looking for agreement, really, just acceptance that I can ride my own horse.
Larry
I still don't get your point. Who is supposed to determine when we cross the line of "nannying". Your conclusion seems to be either no "nannying" or full "nannying". Or is there some point in the middle? And if there is some point in the middle, who should draw the line? You? Me? When is "nannying" too much. Is there some objective measure for determining how "nannied" is something? Please elaborate. You are trying to apply what happened to with my car to some generic over "nannying" of the government, when in reality you need to take each of these things case by case.

If non-obtrusive things can be implemented to save lives like wearing a seat belt, implementing ABS, emergency braking detection, anti-stall features on a plane, or having sensors on garage and elevator doors then I personally think this is something that should be implemented, especially if its a common occurrence that leads to property damage or injuries. My car is one of many cars that have been destroyed by Klaus parking system.

I don't think you should over generalize this situation. I am not slow. I am mechanically inclined, my driving skills are above average, i was not "impaired", i've been in zero accidents in the past ten years, and I am very careful about my car and still this issue was able to occur. And there are a ton of easy fixes that could have been implemented to prevent this from occurring: such as sensors, or just an old fashion physical barrier that prevents a car from moving beyond it, that like a $5 fix.

Many things could have went wrong here: driver error, the lift tilting allowing the car to roll/slide forward, improper placement of wheel-stop, a loose wheel-stop, a broken wheel-stop, slippery parking surface, etc. A simple sensor or physically wall could have been implemented which could prevent alignment issues from occurring for whatever reason. This could also save a life given a human unfortunately found themselves within the machine during operation.

The following 3 users liked this post by zmoothg:
Abarak (01-22-2018), ek993 (01-22-2018), mshedden (01-23-2018)
Old 01-22-2018, 08:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

Where to draw the line? I understand that argument in the general sense, but safety interlocks are cheap and hardly new. When was the last time you got trapped in an elevator door and killed when the elevator moved anyway? I'm guessing the answer is "not recently."

I just had garage doors put in at home and they have both electric eye and force detectors. If I block the door, they won't close. If I try to close it with the nose of the car over the line, it'd do minor cosmetic damage but would reverse. The forces involved are a lot less, but it's not a technological breakthrough waiting to happen.

Old 01-22-2018, 09:39 PM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

Larry

But in the context of this case (and that’s what is being discussed) surely it’s at the polar opposite of extreme? They put a sensor on the rear of the lift. Is putting one on the front classified as “drawing the line and nannying” and “what cost to save a life”?

As has been said - what’s different to this and garage doors at home? Is it nannying and crossing the line having sensors on those, or should we just accept we were fools if we somehow get crushed by our garage doors?

I don’t mind a good debate but this particular example doesn’t hold up well to your “how much do we need to spend to save a life” commentary.

Old 01-23-2018, 04:21 AM

OK, here is my line. No more government requirements. Home garage door interlocks/safeties are a government requirement, I believe. People too inattentive to see that pets or children were in the door. If a business wants to implement safeties, increase the price of the product, then consumers are welcome to pay the price. In this instance, do not blame Klaus because there were no interlocks, blame the operator for pulling the car too far forward. That is my point.
Larry

Old 01-23-2018, 05:47 AM
Received 141 Likes on 106 Posts

WOW - this horrible! I saw this on MSN and started a thread. No idea it happened to a forum brutha

Old 01-23-2018, 05:48 AM
Received 6,256 Likes on 5,456 Posts

OK, here is my line. No more government requirements. Home garage door interlocks/safeties are a government requirement, I believe. People too inattentive to see that pets or children were in the door. If a business wants to implement safeties, increase the price of the product, then consumers are welcome to pay the price. In this instance, do not blame Klaus because there were no interlocks, blame the operator for pulling the car too far forward. That is my point.
Larry
So if your car got squashed you would just suck it up and tell Klaus not to worry about it?

Old 01-23-2018, 06:41 AM

If I was the one who drove it too far forward, yep I would do just that. It is called personal responsibility. If my insurance company wanted to go after Klaus, that is their choice. However, if an employee of the apartment complex or garage owner did it, I would sue the pants off the culprit's employer and end up with a settlement. I did not like Ralph Nader either( I had a 1966 Corvair Corsa back then).

Larry

Last edited by lsbrodsky; 01-23-2018 at 06:44 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by lsbrodsky:
drmrfi (01-23-2018), ndabunka (01-23-2018), RudyF6 (02-04-2018)
Old 01-23-2018, 10:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 329 Likes on 256 Posts

Zmoothg; best of luck on your car repair.

On all the other political commentary about nanny states, etc., while I agree that there is too much reliance on such things in todays society, I find it hard to believe that an expensive and complex vehicle storage system wouldn't be equipped with a $10.00 garage door sensor......shame on them and they are lucky it's a car not a person that was damaged.

2 cents,
Dave

Old 01-23-2018, 11:34 AM
Received 294 Likes on 164 Posts

All the device needs is a physical, soft vertical bar for the vehicle to come up against at the maximum stop point. Say one made of a bendy material or on a spring. Then at the entry have a line which the vehicle must have crossed in order to not be crushed at the entry end.
Simple, cheap and uncomplicated.

Quick Reply: Front of car squashed