F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Greets from Detroit! Newbie to forum and Jag!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 07:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

Welcome to Jaguar. Red convertible looks great! New owner as well; love the car as I'm sure you do.

Old 03-27-2016, 08:09 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,067 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Agreed, that 2nd shot is outstanding. As to photo advice, stick to longer focal lengths and further away, unless you're looking for an interesting (distorted) perspective.

Pay attention to the background, and be aware that you might want to override the exposure if you have bright reflections off the car.

And some of the metallic colors are very sensitive to light and sun angle. Move around to find the color you want.

Also, lock the car so the door handles are retracted. Although this also retracts the mirrors.

Last edited by DJS; 03-27-2016 at 08:13 AM.
Old 03-27-2016, 08:50 AM
Received 54 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by IMMD
I'm also a hobbyist photographer. The composition of the second pic is awesome. Besides shooting while overcast, do you have any tips on photographing cars? I took some photos of my '14 corvette and they turned out ok after some post processing...but nothing very exciting.
Thank you.

Those two shots were actually the first time I have ever taken photos of cars. The only thing I can tell you is I've noticed great photos of cars seem to have great reflections, so try to position the car and yourself so that the car is in between you and the brightest part of the sky.

The originals were pretty dark and I've toyed with the brightness, contrast and color a bit.

:-)

Old 03-27-2016, 08:52 AM
Received 54 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
Agreed, that 2nd shot is outstanding. As to photo advice, stick to longer focal lengths and further away, unless you're looking for an interesting (distorted) perspective.

Pay attention to the background, and be aware that you might want to override the exposure if you have bright reflections off the car.

And some of the metallic colors are very sensitive to light and sun angle. Move around to find the color you want.

Also, lock the car so the door handles are retracted. Although this also retracts the mirrors.
Great tips!

How can I upload pics that take up more screen? The ones I posted are pretty large files but show up as tiny thumbnails.

BTW, I used a 14mm lens on these (not by choice, it just happened to be on the camera at the time.) Looking forward to using a longer lens!

Old 03-27-2016, 09:19 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I appreciate the tips. Whenever I get my R delivered next month I'll see what I can do with my camera.