F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Group buy: 2pc wortec rotors for steel super brakes on f-type

Old 04-20-2018, 09:38 PM
Received 198 Likes on 106 Posts

If the whole rotor was black anodized the area that pads touch for braking would become silver color as the black anodize would be worn off almost immediately. but everything else would remain black anodized, the black and silver area would be very sharp ( clean cut), IMHO that would look pretty cool.. I wonder what the extra cost would be?
i bought the 17mm spacers for a forum buy and they black anodized them for no extra charge!

I must say i don't understand the reason for not allowing black Anodized bolts, why would anodizing reduce the temper of the bolt and why would they need to be stress tested? i guess they are smarter than me, so i should not question there intent or reasons!

Originally Posted by IronMike
I received the exact same answer to number 4 about changing the bolts to black. They cut and pasted from one of our emails to the other.
Unfortunately, I believe the heat transfer through these fittings would sear any external paint off the heads of the bolts within a few hundred miles.
I wonder why they state: "...but do not remove them."

I might be willing to join you in a Black Chromemate rebellion. Wonder what the price would be for two sets in black chromemate finish? Does that mean the friction surface is also black, or everything but the friction surface?

Old 04-20-2018, 11:21 PM
Received 236 Likes on 173 Posts

Emailed Paul, I'm in, so we should have enough to get production started.

Definitely gonna try painting the bolts and center portions....

Old 04-20-2018, 11:50 PM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by vettegood
If the whole rotor was black anodized the area that pads touch for braking would become silver color as the black anodize would be worn off almost immediately. but everything else would remain black anodized, the black and silver area would be very sharp ( clean cut), IMHO that would look pretty cool.. I wonder what the extra cost would be?
i bought the 17mm spacers for a forum buy and they black anodized them for no extra charge!

I must say i don't understand the reason for not allowing black Anodized bolts, why would anodizing reduce the temper of the bolt and why would they need to be stress tested? i guess they are smarter than me, so i should not question there intent or reasons!
I will send a follow-up email to inquire about cost for Black Chromemate finish (which for the record is not anodizing).
I agree that there must be something we don't know about the bolts because they are using Stainless Steel bolts which is generally a softer metal than some of the other options available for hardened bolts and fittings.

Old 04-21-2018, 04:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,635 Likes on 3,358 Posts

Originally Posted by IronMike
I will send a follow-up email to inquire about cost for Black Chromemate finish (which for the record is not anodizing).
I agree that there must be something we don't know about the bolts because they are using Stainless Steel bolts which is generally a softer metal than some of the other options available for hardened bolts and fittings.
A little technical background.
1. No paint I know of will withstand temperatures high enough the turn steel red hot.
2. Mike correctly points out that the disc would not be anodized as that process is limited to non-ferrous materials.
3. Steel alloys used for hardened hardware would loose their strength if heated red hot without being properly quenched. Hence a stainless alloy is used.
4. Very interested in the chromeate process, but I would go with a soft gold color. Only a hint of any color (only at the extreme edges) would be left after the run-in lap.

Last edited by Unhingd; 04-21-2018 at 05:19 AM.
Old 04-21-2018, 12:34 PM
Received 127 Likes on 86 Posts

Not saying its down to the rotors, as when it comes to drag racing there are many factors but it was hotter today than last weekend but I shaved a tenth and gained over a mile per hour.

PB: 11.3080@124.76mph

So close to an 11.2s run, I think on a cooler day, less fuel in tank I could achieve an 11.2s for sure.

Question is would a tune and pulley give me a 10s car?

Attached Thumbnails Group buy: 2pc wortec rotors for steel super brakes on f-type-pb.jpg  

Last edited by Gibbo205; 04-21-2018 at 12:36 PM.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 953 Likes on 714 Posts

The invoice I received in response to my email said "suncut" but it wasn't clear if that was shallow or ... regular? I've asked for clarification.

Are they waiting for payment to start production, or just confirmation?

And do we have enough yet? It seems there are still some questions kicking around.

Old 04-23-2018, 11:06 AM
Veteran Member

Payment required by 5 people before production begins.
Confirmation merely triggers them emailing you the wiring info. I wired my payment this morning. Anyone else pay yet? (Gibbo doesn’t count)
They are not planning to produce the extreme sun cuts for our group.

Old 04-23-2018, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Confirmation merely triggers them emailing you the wiring info. I wired my payment this morning. Anyone else pay yet? (Gibbo doesn’t count)
I am waiting for a reply to my inquiry about the cost for the Black Chromemate finish...

Old 04-23-2018, 12:01 PM
Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

I wired my payment yesterday.

The following users liked this post:
Unhingd (04-23-2018)
Old 04-23-2018, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by F-Type-Type

I wired my payment yesterday.
Great, that makes two of us. Just 3 more needed. Everyone else, please chime in when you've made payment.

Old 04-23-2018, 04:46 PM
Veteran Member

I just received another email from Paul @ Wortec:
The black bolts are not cost effective from a production point of view (coating company minimum order is 10,000) and we have had our system tested and validated and a change in coating will require re testing at our cost....

The black rotor coating is a process much like we use now but with a dye to make black. our finishers have said they can supply on a per set basis (4 rotors) at a cost of £65.00 extra. We can offer this as an upgrade if people ask for it........but as this is a group buy at a reduced cost this needs to be the last option offered.

So here are the final options for this group buy:

Plain rotors or low profile (shallow) rotors (no add'l. charge)
Black hats (bells) - no option
Shiny steel bolts - no option
Shiny steel rotors or blackened rotors (65 £/set extra)
Thermal slots (with holes) - no option

Here's the group buy status:
1. Gibbo205 - prototypes delivered
2. Unhingd - PAID
3. F-Type-Type - PAID
4. zmoothg - ?
5. IronMike - (65 £/set extra)
6. Chawumba - sent email of interest
7. Vettegood - ?
8. Dremorg - ?
9. lizzardo - Invoice received (shallow cut)
10. JgaXkr - ?

Please let us know if your status changes or you choose to back out of the buy. Time to put this to bed.

Old 04-23-2018, 07:01 PM
Received 198 Likes on 106 Posts

Ok I have paid via bank wire, funds will transfer british pound rate $1.44 per US dollar )-: 4/24/18 I ordered:
Suncut thermal slots and drilled holes,
black hat (bell), Guess we have no choice but silver S/S. bolts
with custom black rotors (paid 65.00 extra).
total US cost $3036.82
Bank waived wire fee. (-:

this is last email from Anneliese for Wortec received today:

At the moment, we don't have any paid orders, 2 people have said that they have transferred the money, but it hasn't arrived with us yet.

Once we have received 5 paid orders we will begin production, this will take 2 to 3 weeks.

The payment, by bank transfer, details are on the bottom of the invoice, we do not accept credit cards or Paypal.

Many thanks
Anneliese

Things would move a lot faster if they DID accept other forms of payment!!!

Last edited by vettegood; 04-23-2018 at 07:09 PM.
Unhingd (04-23-2018)
Old 04-23-2018, 07:24 PM
Veteran Member

2. Unhingd - PAID
3. F-Type-Type - PAID
4. zmoothg - ?
6. Chawumba - Paying Tuesday for black rotors
7. Vettegood - PAID
8. Dremorg - ?
9. lizzardo - PAID
10. JgaXkr - ?

Last edited by Unhingd; 04-24-2018 at 05:04 AM. Reason: STATUS UPDATE
Old 04-23-2018, 07:37 PM
Veteran Member

I got an email reply about the suncuts, "This will be the only suncut profile offered going forward."

I left work a bit early to get to my bank, and have arranged the payment. They tell me it'll transfer at 9 a.m. Pacific time tomorrow.

Unhingd (04-23-2018)
Old 04-23-2018, 10:16 PM
Received 236 Likes on 173 Posts

I will wire funds tomorrow morning (Tuesday) - I'd also like the black coating and will pay the 65 GBP upcharge.

Old 04-24-2018, 03:01 AM

2. Unhingd - PAID
3. F-Type-Type - PAID
4. zmoothg - ?
6. Chawumba - sent email of interest
7. Vettegood - PAID
8. Dremorg - ?
9. lizzardo - PAID
10. JgaXkr - ?

Need just 2 more.

As I am very happy with the prototypes and really love the looks of the suncut now they are on the car, I have decided to keep these prototypes and have paid for them.

I've done about 1000 miles now, plenty of road trips and lots of big stops from around 150mph, the brakes perform flawless and the yellow stuff pads have remained completely silent even in town driving which is very welcome.

The additional stopping power, pedal modulation and overall brake feel is the absolutely best part of these disc, the confidence under braking is totally transformed, of course I expected an improvement but this is way beyond my expectations.

Then add in ride quality improvements and handling improvements, its a great modification and extremely good value compared to ceramics.

Old 04-24-2018, 05:00 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Gibbo205
As I am very happy with the prototypes and really love the looks of the suncut now they are on the car, I have decided to keep these prototypes and have paid for them.

I've done about 1000 miles now, plenty of road trips and lots of big stops from around 150mph, the brakes perform flawless and the yellow stuff pads have remained completely silent even in town driving which is very welcome.

The additional stopping power, pedal modulation and overall brake feel is the absolutely best part of these disc, the confidence under braking is totally transformed, of course I expected an improvement but this is way beyond my expectations.

Then add in ride quality improvements and handling improvements, its a great modification and extremely good value compared to ceramics.
I was thinking the looks would grow on you. The F-Type may not be an exotic, but those rotors certainly are. That said, the general population won't even notice them.

Originally Posted by Chawumba
I will wire funds tomorrow morning (Tuesday) - I'd also like the black coating and will pay the 65 GBP upcharge.
Outstanding. I believe that puts us over the top. For the rest of you, if you want in on the group buy, now's the time.

Last edited by Unhingd; 04-24-2018 at 05:08 AM.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Gibbo205
I haven't decided yet on pads when I do the upgrade, so have questions about the the EBCs.

- How are they cold? Does that first stop require more effort? Had any wet weather yet?
- How is the initial bite? I prefer a progressive feel rather than high initial bite.

My other choice besides stock would be the Porterfields, so if anyone has experience with them on the F-Type, feel free to chime in.

Unhingd (04-24-2018)
Old 04-24-2018, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by lizzardo
I haven't decided yet on pads when I do the upgrade, so have questions about the the EBCs.

- How are they cold? Does that first stop require more effort? Had any wet weather yet?
- How is the initial bite? I prefer a progressive feel rather than high initial bite.

My other choice besides stock would be the Porterfields, so if anyone has experience with them on the F-Type, feel free to chime in.
- They bite better in the cold, yes its wet today, raining heavily, again initial bite is better over stock.
- Initial bite is improved, no dead spot at top of pedal which sometimes stock setup had in adverse conditions. The pedal is now linear and progressive, initial bite is immediate but only the amount of braking power you demand by pedal percentage, as you press the pedal more you get more braking force.

Overall I am feeling zero negatives from these brakes, the only change for me which is not really a negative is heavy braking produces a touch more rotor noise, its not annoying or an issue just different and thats simply due to groove design.

Pedal feel, bite, braking force, progression are all improved with new brakes and I am also very happy they are totally silent at low speeds, no squeaking at all.

EBC may not be highly regarded as an ultimate performance pad compound alongside the likes of say Ferodo DS2500/3000 or Pagid RS29 etc, but they have been making brake pads now since I can remember and all their product complies with all standards and they are exact replicas of the original pads resulting in no fitment issues. For fast road use they are exceptional and though I'd not recommend them for racing, they will be far better than stock for the odd trackday.

Unhingd (04-24-2018)
Old 04-24-2018, 08:39 PM

2. Unhingd - PAID
3. F-Type-Type - PAID
4. zmoothg - ?
5. IronMike - Complete my wire Wed. Morning. Thermal Slotted Black Suncut
6. Chawumba - Paying Tuesday for black rotors