Received 294 Likes on 164 Posts
Default Halogen v xenon v LED

This by a Porsche enthusiast.
Thought might be of interest.

The following users liked this post:
Misujerr (03-24-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 12:07 PM
Received 391 Likes on 207 Posts

I have mixed feelings about HID vs LED. There have been some applications on some cars where the HID's were still a tad brighter than their LED counterparts.

I've had the opportunity to drive some Jaguar XJ's and F-PACE's equipped with LEDs. The light color was significantly more blue tinted than their HID equipped counterparts whhich is fine; as I feel Jag HID's are more on the yellow side. HOWEVER, the LED equipped cars also produced a slightly inconsistent beam pattern as there were multiple hot spots.

Old 03-23-2017, 02:35 PM
Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteTardis
I have mixed feelings about HID vs LED. There have been some applications on some cars where the HID's were still a tad brighter than their LED counterparts.

I've had the opportunity to drive some Jaguar XJ's and F-PACE's equipped with LEDs. The light color was significantly more blue tinted than their HID equipped counterparts whhich is fine; as I feel Jag HID's are more on the yellow side. HOWEVER, the LED equipped cars also produced a slightly inconsistent beam pattern as there were multiple hot spots.
Another thing you need to factor is that LED lights you practically never have to replace them, they won't burn out.

Old 03-23-2017, 04:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 177 Likes on 151 Posts

When was the last time you saw a HID burn out as opposed to break?

LEDs also break. But, you have to replace the entire unit, rather than just the bulb...

Old 03-23-2017, 04:18 PM
Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by F-typical
When was the last time you saw a HID burn out as opposed to break?

LEDs also break. But, you have to replace the entire unit, rather than just the bulb...
LEDs are mostly plastic, not glass and they also produce much less heat than HIDs. much more reliable than HIDs. I'll vouch for leds over any other bulb since it is my job