F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Haters and the Nerve of Some People

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 09:22 AM
Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

Not a problem in Arizona. Here most people carry heat and conflict is avoided unless you have a death wish.

The following users liked this post:
Burt Gummer (08-13-2018)
Old 08-11-2018, 12:02 PM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
I notice one particular model of car where the driver almost always tries to bait me into a race, it's happened to me several times now.
They scream up behind me, tailgate for a while, then pull over to the next lane and sit beside me, then when I don't play the game they floor it and zoom off down the road to show me how "fast" their car is, then they slow right down, allow me to catch up, and start playing the same game all over again.
I just keep going at my preferred pace and totally ignore them.
I'm talking about the Nissan Skyline GTR R32, 33 and 34 and the GTS-T.
Never had this problem with an R35 but they are quite rare in my neck of the woods (nearly as rare as the F-Type) but R32, 33, 34 and GTS-T are a dime a dozen being the preferred ride of the cheap but fast young hoon turbo crowd here.

I had a guy do that to me in a nicely raced prepped WRX last week. I passed him and I think he didn’t like it. Next thing I know he is flying by me at what must have been 95-100 in the right lane. Slows down and does it 3 more times. I just kept on driving along and paid no attention.

Old 08-11-2018, 12:19 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
You are brave. I live in California, and as a fairly hulking 6'6" white guy, with my friends I have learned that you do not know who does crossfit or box, you don't know those who know martial arts or MMA, and you certainly don't know who carries a gun.
You nailed it.

Old 08-11-2018, 12:47 PM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by jackra_1
Not a "hater" experience but an "experience" anyway. Years ago I was in a Mall parking lot sitting in the car when a woman
pulled up next to me.
She got out of her car by violently swinging her door open as I watched whereupon it hit my car with a very loud bang..

I got out and asked her what she thought she was doing, words to that effect anyway, She replied that she had done nothing!

I then kicked her door in and made a substantial dent. She then asked me what I thought I was doing. You guessed it I said nothing and just stared her down.

I know I was not very gentlemanly however I felt great satisfaction.
Please run for president

Old 08-11-2018, 02:08 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I am fairly young and I live in a young professional apartment complex. I don't know if it was a girl I might have made mad or just someone jealous. But the second night I had my new F type, I put the car in reverse and hear a funky tire noise so I get out. Sure enough it looked as if someone had placed a little nail right behind the tire.

Burt Gummer (08-15-2018)
Old 08-12-2018, 01:54 AM
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Wink

I've had my car for over a year and so far have not experienced the negatives mentioned here. I do get a lot of "thumbs up's" and "nice car" comments though. However, challenges do happen, and mostly from Porsches, but the BMW's generally leave me alone. Since I traded a Z4 M Sport for the F-Type, I think I know why.

BTW Uncle, in my case it's me carrying the gun, a Kahr PM45 usually.

Old 08-12-2018, 01:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

Seen some pretty mean Minis! - doesn't take that much to get a jealous person riled up..

Wouldn't want to have a car such as the F-type without an alternative vehicle to drive. Mine is my company van. It says "I am a working stiff' and people leave it alone.

If you are the rare individual that avoids every seedy area and situation by all means the F-type can be your only car

If you go out to listen to bands at back alley bars, eat your Sunday evening meals at strips clubs, or like to do your grocery shopping at midnight - get a second ride.

Old 08-12-2018, 01:36 PM
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

My daily driver, low profile ride..The mighty Hyundai Kona...AWD 1.6 turbo, torque vectoring, locking diff, heads up display, lane keep assist and collision warning...all in Lime Twist for $28K US.

I'll see you on the road Mini's! Actually, I really dig the Mini.

As you can see, between the Ultra Blue and this Lime Twist...I'm not afraid of color

Last edited by Hayabusa; 08-12-2018 at 01:39 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Hayabusa:
Burt Gummer (08-13-2018), ndabunka (08-14-2018)
Old 08-12-2018, 04:55 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

My other cars are a 1996 Montero SR and a 2002 Toyota Echo. I use either when I know I may have to street park or we're going to a seedy area. It is an interesting dichotomy of driving style.

Old 08-12-2018, 06:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by caviarjag
I had a guy do that to me in a nicely raced prepped WRX last week. I passed him and I think he didn’t like it. Next thing I know he is flying by me at what must have been 95-100 in the right lane. Slows down and does it 3 more times. I just kept on driving along and paid no attention.
In the states, this is always a WRX. Literally 100% of the time.

Old 08-13-2018, 12:12 AM
Received 65 Likes on 18 Posts

I drove my car from Dallas to DC for a work conference, on my 3rd night in DC, someone punctured my tires on the passenger side front and back. The worst part is that it was done in a hotel, and while I was in DC I was careful not to cut someone off since I was so far from home and did not want to deal with an accident. I know they were punctured because A) they were on the sidewall (not on the tread) and B) when they were punctured, the passenger side of my car was next to a wall...

Long story short, **** that guy/girl, luckily it did not cause me to crash..

Old 08-13-2018, 01:35 AM
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

My DD is a 2017 Volt. In over two years of ownership I have burned two gallons of 87 octane for propulsion - the rest of my driving has been electric. Since I keep the top down 99% of the time, I only drive the F-Type in good weather and I'm quite careful where I park it. My next DD will probably be an EV, but I'm waiting for the battery tech to mature a bit more. I'm looking for a 400+ mile range and a half hour 80% recharge, which should be doable with the new solid state batteries. They should be in production in two or three years. However, the new Jaguar I-Pace is looking pretty good right now. It does 0-60 in under 4.5 seconds, has more room than the Volt, and handles a good deal better. It's quick, quiet, and smooth, all the reasons I love electric driving on a daily basis.

Old 08-13-2018, 10:09 AM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Burt Gummer
OP - situational awareness fail.

You knew there was a bitter jerk lurking but still left your car parked there. Worse yet, you didn't do a walk around and check upon returning to your car.

Beware of the 'nothing to lose' lowlife that is lurking and waiting to take his frustrations out on your property.

I pulled into a restaurant parking lot and heard 'rich mother****er and his fancy car' in the crowd. Time to leave. Doesn't matter if you are 6' 6" and 250lbs. That doesn't help your isolated car.
You're 100% correct with the situational awareness point. Being former military, I follow SA and stress it to friends and family alike 99% of the time. I should have done the walk around before getting in but even then I may have missed it because he shoved the bottle far enough under the car that I'd have had to gotten down low or approached from a different angle to see it. I'll put this down as a lesson learned and will take the advice that you and others have given in this thread.

Last edited by dws009; 08-13-2018 at 01:05 PM.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:31 AM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

This is my daily driver....it also gets a lot of attention as well.

Old 08-14-2018, 08:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 478 Likes on 323 Posts

I live in S.W. Fla. where the average age driver is 85+. Drivers get in cars at grocery store, spend 15 minutes getting seat belts on, key in ignition, mirror in correct alignment, hair properly set, then start car, slam backward without ever looking backward to see if there is anyone coming/moving behind. 2 car collisions almost every day in the parking lots here. My "around town" car is a '89 Cadillac Allante' that is in pretty good condition, with 114k miles, but that I don't worry about an occasional door ding (already 3-4), and a few shopping cart dings(3). There are always those who just can't take the time to do more than let the carts go in the middle of the lot when they are finished with them..
Sorry, not the usual the road rage that the rest of you have gotten, but I do get some dirty looks and a few comments from some of the little old ladies as they get in their 12' long Lincoln Town cars about the 'young whippersnapper' with the foreign hot rod.

Burt Gummer (08-15-2018)
Old 08-14-2018, 10:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by dws009
This is my daily driver....it also gets a lot of attention as well.
Thanks Cap!!! What fun for Marvel fans new and old. And fans of all he stands for. My stable is a '95 Wrangler that was a daily for 20 years, and now my F-Type. Now I am back in the Jeep a bit, as my FT is busted up. Funny how my Wrangler of 23 years has spent overall time in the shop than my Jaguars. Lol thank goodness for a buyback.

dws009 (08-14-2018)
Old 08-14-2018, 11:49 AM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm in Fresno CA area and people here have had a great reaction to it so far. Everyone who looks is either thumbs up or taking pictures with their phone. I DD mine, top down every time unless its raining, and first day driving to work, a truck next to me rear ended the car in front of it in traffic because the driver and passenger were trying to record the Ftype with their phones while driving. Pretty strange feeling, felt a little bit culpable for driving such a good looking car but was totally their fault

I got invited to a Porsche club cars and coffee event a few weeks ago (we have an Audi as well and here the Porsche/Audi dealership is owned by the same guy so we get all their emails/invites) and everyone loved seeing the Ftype. They were doing a group drive to Pismo on the coast after the event and invited me along for the weekend but I already had plans. Very nice people and they all wanted to hear the V8 rev as I was leaving, which I didn't expect. Will definitely join them on their next drive to Monterey - as nice as Porsche's flat six sounds, its nothing like the Jags SC V8.

Even the few mustang owners that pull up at a red light with their windows down to chat, contrary to every stereotype I've ever heard, have been very nice and compliment the car frequently. I completely agree with the WRX comments above - they seem to be quickest to overreact to nice cars.

I would say the most vocal complimenters are older gentlemen and younger guys (I'm 32 for reference) - almost always have something nice to say when they walk past. Only hater I have seen yet was in Oakhurst on a drive to Yosemite. She was a very grumpy old woman that nearly ran me off the road and screamed at me the whole time she was next to me at stoplights going through the town. She even pretended to call the cops on her phone while screaming loudly so I could hear. Total whack job. Right pedal took care of it once we were out of the town.

All in all, been very happy with how the car is received by people here. I have only seen 3 or 4 other Ftypes in Fresno over the year we've owned ours. Fresno is relatively small but big enough that you see Porsches/nicer mercs/Ms/GTRs on a semi regular basis with the occasional Huracan and Mclaren (drove next to a blue 720S the other day on a slow road through town with lots of lights and the driver was complimenting the Ftype as much as I complimented the 720 while we sat and waited) so it is nice that our car is still a relatively rare sight for most people.

Old 08-15-2018, 12:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

Perhaps you are too young to know you never take them back to your place and avoid them knowing your last name .... ghost them ... problem solved ... no nails.

Originally Posted by ntbrinkl
I am fairly young and I live in a young professional apartment complex. I don't know if it was a girl I might have made mad or just someone jealous. But the second night I had my new F type, I put the car in reverse and hear a funky tire noise so I get out. Sure enough it looked as if someone had placed a little nail right behind the tire.

Old 08-15-2018, 01:11 PM
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I have been quite fortunate not to have encountered any haterism (only thumbs-up and "beautiful car"). But then again, when going somewhere, I always ponder the circumstances and parking situation at the end of the journey. I'll take my other car if in doubt. Nobody feels threatened by a MINI.
+1. I live in Monterey where I see F types weekly so no one gets too excited ( a lot of folks driving up Hwy 1 from all points). With motor week next week in Pebble Beach the F type will be the working mans car next to the McLarens, Ferraris, Bugattis (Veyrons), Bentley's, Lambo's, etc....
Some places I won't even take the Mini and will sacrifice the Ford Escape instead.

Last edited by El Gato; 08-15-2018 at 01:16 PM.
Jaggyx (08-15-2018)
Old 08-15-2018, 01:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 531 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by SamtheSham
My "around town" car is a '89 Cadillac Allante'
I have some stories to tell about Allantes. Have you heard of the Concours d'LeMons?

Quick Reply: Haters and the Nerve of Some People