F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hello F-typers

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2023, 10:50 AM
Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
I get gunmetal grey satin in mine, I really like the look, it doesnt show dirt and doesnt have the blockout effect of some black wheels where it makes the wheel look like a big black blob. In vorsteiner rims they call it carbon graphite, but it is just gunmetal grey. I put it on the mustang as well, but Koya rims on it.
They do look really good. I built a car on the jag website with those upgraded satin grey wheels. They are nice for sure. Little more than I want to spend to upgrade wheels from the manufacturer initially...i.e.: In case I want to go with an aftermarket set later or something...

My bud has a set of HRE wheels. Unbelievable looking. He got a great deal on them used and then powder coated them. Much cheaper than the original 15k price new, or whatever it would have been.

Old 01-29-2023, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by davidmaria1
As my anti-Harley friends would say, "Chrome don't get you home".
I have mixed feelings about my wheels being chrome (previous owners' doing, who I believe drove much like Magoo).
In general I'm not into Chrome. That said, I find that the F-type is a car that can pull it off for some reason, still look great, etc

Old 01-29-2023, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by FirstGenS
The F-Type is a classic beauty, so I suggest selecting a color that isn't trendy. You're buying the final generation of F-Type, so I'm assuming this is one you'll want to savor for a long time.

Personally, I'd stay away from the matte colors. And if you like green, I'd give a hard look to British Racing Green because it's such a classic (and striking) look.

That said, you won't make a mistake. Those colors all look fantastic, and we'll all be happy to have you as an owner!
You've hit it right on the head man. As many in this thread have alluded to, what colour one might go with on an F-type is not a life changing decision either way...lol...It's inherent shape and beauty makes sure of that ;-)

BUT, I am gonna have this car for a long time. I want to make sure I at least make a reasonable choice. Like you, I'm not really about some of these new fad paint jobs and such. I hate to admit it, but at the end of the day I'm a pretty boring dude I think...lol...Whatever I end up going with will not be very "out there". That's for sure, as I know myself pretty well...hehe

Last edited by DMeister; 01-29-2023 at 11:21 AM.
Old 01-29-2023, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Dwight Frye
You can go to the Jaguar website, choose the "Build Your own" feature and then configure the car in Giola Green with black wheels. It will then show the car from several angles with that combination and give you a pretty fair representation of the actual product.

Since F Types aren't very common, I saved the photos of my car configured the way I had ordered it so I would have something to dream about while I waited several months for delivery. One thing I have to say about the 2024 models is that I don't like the Black Pack as being standard with no options. It looks good in some colors like yellow for example but I prefer chrome or bright trim with others. My 2021 F Type is BRG with the standard chrome trim and it is just enough bling for me.

Here's Giola Green w/black wheels from the Jag website so you can see what I am referring to
Oh trust me me, I've been on that builder a million times ;-) Clearly there are limits to how accurately such tools can be at conveying what it looks like. At least for me. Some of the videos of the Giola green on Range Rovers on Youtube do a better job of conveying what it might look like...At least for me...Even then, until I see it on the car in real light in a real video I will wonder...lol...Wrong or right, I'm not sure I trust my instincts.

All this said, I have myself convinced that the Giola green could be a good direction to go. That's my feeling. I feel it plays nicely with black accenting and wheels. I think I would seriously consider it.

The other consideration that has surprisingly crossed my mind is Santorini black. I always said I would never buy a black car, but man this car looks pretty menacing all blacked out in some vids. I will be PPFing the car front to back, and this car will not be a daily driver, so perhaps it would not be a complete nightmare.

Old 01-29-2023, 12:20 PM
Received 184 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by DMeister
Oh trust me me, I've been on that builder a million times ;-) Clearly there are limits to how accurately such tools can be at conveying what it looks like. At least for me. Some of the videos of the Giola green on Range Rovers on Youtube do a better job of conveying what it might look like...At least for me...Even then, until I see it on the car in real light in a real video I will wonder...lol...Wrong or right, I'm not sure I trust my instincts.
On my laptop, it looks like there's a fair amount of blue and gray in that Giola green. It could look phenomenal...or not. Other than vegetation, green is a tough color to make work which is why you don't see too many green [whatevers]. The seventies kind demonstrated that green [and orange] should be used with caution!

Where it does work well is as an accent [like green shutters on a white house]. The color generally needs to tie-in. This is why sliver works so incredibly well and why it has been used as the most popular wheel color forever. Silver and black [tires] complement naturally. OTOH, it could look over-the-top gorgeous and pretty darn unique. In any case, you definitely want to see an example first.

Old 01-29-2023, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by synthesis
On my laptop, it looks like there's a fair amount of blue and gray in that Giola green. It could look phenomenal...or not. Other than vegetation, green is a tough color to make work which is why you don't see too many green [whatevers]. The seventies kind demonstrated that green [and orange] should be used with caution!

Where it does work well is as an accent [like green shutters on a white house]. The color generally needs to tie-in. This is why sliver works so incredibly well and why it has been used as the most popular wheel color forever. Silver and black [tires] complement naturally. OTOH, it could look over-the-top gorgeous and pretty darn unique. In any case, you definitely want to see an example first.
I can't agree with you more that ideally I would see the colour in the flesh on any vehicle, ideally an F-type. I don't feel the same need with the other colours I'm considering (Light grey, dark grey, black, BRG...classic colours). The odds of that happening before having to firm up on my order is unlikely I'd say. I'd settle for seeing it on an F-type in a good video on Youtube. Perhaps we'll see some press cars with the colour on them shortly given that it is the new "special colour" they introduced for the final year. That's my hope.

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of...lol...It could either go really good or really bad ;-)
I did go into a JLR dealer and they had a reasonably large sample of the Giola Green on the LR side of the house. In the light there in the room greys hit me right away. Then when I put it in some natural light by a window the greys seemed to dissipate a bit. Trying to remember if I saw blues. In the higher light is wasn't bad, but I remember liking it more when it wasn't in the direct natural light. It was only a quick check, and I don't recall being put off by what I saw.

In this light I feel I can totally picture it:

Then I see it like this and part of me wonders if it is a different colour ;-) :

Here's 2 in natural light, where I think it looks pretty good:

How the colour presents in this video concerns me the most, but I have a feeling the lighting/exposure is not the best in the vid ;-) -->

My gut is still telling me it would probably be nice. Appreciate your thoughts. Will it end up looking like shutters on a house, that's the question ;-) hehe

Last edited by DMeister; 01-29-2023 at 02:18 PM.
Old 01-30-2023, 09:21 AM
Received 367 Likes on 235 Posts

Some people have posted photos of a color sample sales display item that some dealers had in the showrooms with samples of available paint options that were maybe 2x3" ? My dealer didn't have one. And to add to that they only had a couple of F Types on display. They had a better selection of Land Rovers though so I was able to see a few colors in both natural light and under showroom lighting. But still the color choice was limited, I had considered Santorini Black but when I saw it on a Land Rover I didn't like it. I was expecting a traditional gloss black and it is actually a metallic.

I took a chance and ordered British Racing Green which is metallic. I'm not sure if they still use the Xirillac formula. I was very pleased when I took delivery. The paint changes color according to the lighting conditions and in bright sunlight just really sparkles. The Firenze Red is also rather stunning. But in any case unless you can see a vehicle at a dealership in the color you are considering it is a bit of a crap shoot with a lot of the exotic color choices.

Old 01-30-2023, 10:32 AM
rbr
Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

When I went through the configurator, I thought the Giola green looked best with grey wheels and black interior. Ivory interior second, but that's almost as hard as white to keep looking good. Wish though that the Windssor tan had been available in 15 when I did the BRG. All this said though, it will be OP's car!

Old 01-30-2023, 12:25 PM
Cgo
Received 233 Likes on 109 Posts

All this said, I have myself convinced that the Giola green could be a good direction to go. That's my feeling. I feel it plays nicely with black accenting and wheels. I think I would seriously consider it.

The other consideration that has surprisingly crossed my mind is Santorini black. I always said I would never buy a black car, but man this car looks pretty menacing all blacked out in some vids. I will be PPFing the car front to back, and this car will not be a daily driver, so perhaps it would not be a complete nightmare.
love that color! Want to be different? Just go with Sorrento Yellow like mine!! Hahahahaha

💛

The following 2 users liked this post by Cgo:
2015 XJR L (02-24-2023), BruceTheQuail (01-30-2023)
Old 01-30-2023, 12:29 PM
Cgo

I like that green. It's subtle and has hues of silver, blue depending on light. I'd go with black accents and wheels. Looks good on nearly every color and adds some aggression and testosterone fitting for a beast of a car.

Old 01-30-2023, 05:24 PM

Some people have posted photos of a color sample sales display item that some dealers had in the showrooms with samples of available paint options that were maybe 2x3" ? My dealer didn't have one. And to add to that they only had a couple of F Types on display. They had a better selection of Land Rovers though so I was able to see a few colors in both natural light and under showroom lighting. But still the color choice was limited, I had considered Santorini Black but when I saw it on a Land Rover I didn't like it. I was expecting a traditional gloss black and it is actually a metallic.

I took a chance and ordered British Racing Green which is metallic. I'm not sure if they still use the Xirillac formula. I was very pleased when I took delivery. The paint changes color according to the lighting conditions and in bright sunlight just really sparkles. The Firenze Red is also rather stunning. But in any case unless you can see a vehicle at a dealership in the color you are considering it is a bit of a crap shoot with a lot of the exotic color choices.
Yeah, this particular dealer did not have any vehicles with the colour on it. Just the sample.

Interesting to hear your comments on the black. Something to consider, as that colour was on my list of considerations.

Old 01-30-2023, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by rbr
When I went through the configurator, I thought the Giola green looked best with grey wheels and black interior. Ivory interior second, but that's almost as hard as white to keep looking good. Wish though that the Windssor tan had been available in 15 when I did the BRG. All this said though, it will be OP's car!
Totally agree that either the black or grey wheels would work great with that colour. I think so anyway.

I like lighter leather options but I have had bad experiences with light leathers in the past from a maintenance and cleaning perspective for sure. Light grey leather in a Toyota 4Runner I had comes to mind.

Old 01-30-2023, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Cgo
love that color! Want to be different? Just go with Sorrento Yellow like mine!! Hahahahaha

💛
Yeah, I was looking at pictures of your car on here in the past. Your car looks absolutely amazing man.

I like it a lot, and a part of me would want to get that colour, but that option has become incredibly expensive. Last year that yellow option, and others like it at the same SVO level, was a 6k option here in Canada. From what I understand it would now cost $10,600 CND for 2024. That is way beyond what I’m willing to pay for paint.

I don’t think my personality would allow me to buy it anyway, but your looks incredible. Nice choice. I think it would draw a little too much attention for my liking. That aside, it truly does look amazing.

Old 01-30-2023, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Cgo
I like that green. It's subtle and has hues of silver, blue depending on light. I'd go with black accents and wheels. Looks good on nearly every color and adds some aggression and testosterone fitting for a beast of a car.
Thanks for your opinion. Yeah, I think I’m starting to really like the colour. I think my favourite match would be all black accents and wheels like you are saying. That is closest to my tastes I think.

Something about those particular wheels you have on your car…I really like them…I also like that it’s only a small price increase to get them.

I do like that the Giola Green colour is exclusive to the final year 75th anniversary spec etc…That’s kinda neat as well I think.

The following users liked this post:
Cgo (01-30-2023)
Old 01-30-2023, 10:35 PM
Cgo

Yeah, I was looking at pictures of your car on here in the past. Your car looks absolutely amazing man.

I like it a lot, and a part of me would want to get that colour, but that option has become incredibly expensive. Last year that yellow option, and others like it at the same SVO level, was a 6k option here in Canada. From what I understand it would now cost $10,600 CND for 2024. That is way beyond what I’m willing to pay for paint.

I don’t think my personality would allow me to buy it anyway, but your looks incredible. Nice choice. I think it would draw a little too much attention for my liking. That aside, it truly does look amazing.
Thanks! Yeah, not really my personality either really. Also, yes, it was really expensive and overly so. It's just yellow, no flakes, no pearl. No idea why it is one of the more expensive colors. I think it's the only premium color that isn't metallic. I ordered it without seeing one in person and I thought it was metallic. Oops! 😆

All my previous colors were white or some shade of grey. I wanted to try something different this time. Its uh, definitely different and not inconspicuous especially on a fairly rare car. Lol

Dude, get that green, I think it looks amazing! Also, go with your gut and choose the black wheels. Just adds some aggression to balance the classiness of that color. Plus, it will be super rare in a sea of white, silver, black, grey, blue, and red. Let us know what you end up doing. ;-)

Last edited by Cgo; 01-30-2023 at 10:37 PM.
Old 01-30-2023, 10:47 PM
Cgo

Originally Posted by davidmaria1
As my anti-Harley friends would say, "Chrome don't get you home".
I have mixed feelings about my wheels being chrome (previous owners' doing, who I believe drove much like Magoo).
why anti Harley? Mine has zero chrome! Lol

The following users liked this post:
davidmaria1 (01-31-2023)
Old 01-31-2023, 08:44 AM
Received 367 Likes on 235 Posts

Here's my 2021 BRG F Type on an overcast day. I need to take a photo in bright sunlight so that you can see the brighter color and metallic effect. This photo looks close to the classic BRG of the 1950's and '60's.

My biggest fear with one of the premium paint color options like the Sorrento Yellow would be if it received some minor collision damage. Even if the dealership's body shop did the repair, I'd be skeptical that they could really match what was done at the factory with such a specialized paint & color.

Old 01-31-2023, 09:15 AM
Cgo

Here's my 2021 BRG F Type on an overcast day. I need to take a photo in bright sunlight so that you can see the brighter color and metallic effect. This photo looks close to the classic BRG of the 1950's and '60's.

My biggest fear with one of the premium paint color options like the Sorrento Yellow would be if it received some minor collision damage. Even if the dealership's body shop did the repair, I'd be skeptical that they could really match what was done at the factory with such a specialized paint & color.
love BRG. I had one on order with tan interior and black package but it got cancelled due to production shutdown. Ended up finding the yellow one had just finished production, so I went with that.

They do hype the premium colors as being specially applied and inspected, but whatever, I still found some drips in the gaps and other imperfections typical in mass produced vehicles. Their premium paints are way overpriced IMO.

Old 01-31-2023, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Cgo
Thanks! Yeah, not really my personality either really. Also, yes, it was really expensive and overly so. It's just yellow, no flakes, no pearl. No idea why it is one of the more expensive colors. I think it's the only premium color that isn't metallic. I ordered it without seeing one in person and I thought it was metallic. Oops! 😆

All my previous colors were white or some shade of grey. I wanted to try something different this time. Its uh, definitely different and not inconspicuous especially on a fairly rare car. Lol

Dude, get that green, I think it looks amazing! Also, go with your gut and choose the black wheels. Just adds some aggression to balance the classiness of that color. Plus, it will be super rare in a sea of white, silver, black, grey, blue, and red. Let us know what you end up doing. ;-)
I don't even think any of the higher SVO paints are currently available. They're not on the builder on the US or Canadian Jag websites. I was told by the dealer that they are not available as well. Just got off the phone them a few mins ago. Originally I thought they may still be available even though the builder did not show them.

Yeah, I think I am heavily in the direction of the Giola green. I'm feelin' it I think ;-)

Old 01-31-2023, 11:55 AM

Looks incredible. Great choice. I do like that colour. There's lots of videos and pics out there in variable light. Despite never seeing one in person I wouldn't be afraid to order this colour if I decided on that direction.
As for fear of a crash with Sorrento Yellow. As he mentioned that is a completely flat paint. They would be able to match that perfectly. It's the metallics you have to worry about...Anything flat is dead easy...

Quick Reply: Hello F-typers