Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help needed with the service menu

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2018, 12:17 AM
Received 149 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Help needed with the service menu

Hello all,
when I first picked up the car, I checked all the gadgets and everything appeared normal as per the manual. Since then, when I check the oil level, I get the message "not available". When I check the tire pressure, I only get the prescribed pressure, the actual pressure is 0.
I only have access to the service menu when the ignition is switched on, but not the engine. I think that is normal. But I know I saw some readings last week on both the oil level and tire pressure.

Old 09-07-2018, 01:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

I can't help you with the tyre pressures as I don't have the TPMS on mine (a good thing I reckon!) but I can help with the oil level read-out.
The handbook tells you to warm the engine up to operating temp then shut it down then wait another 10 minutes at least before you can get a reading, otherwise you get "not available".
But if you pop the hood you will get an instant read-out every time, even when cold, providing you haven't started or run the car in the last 10 minutes.

The following 2 users liked this post by OzXFR:
Carbuff2 (09-07-2018), Paul champagne (09-07-2018)
Old 09-07-2018, 01:49 AM

Thanks. That is pretty much what I do. Even when I open the hood, I still get "not available"
Maybe it's the "providing you haven't started or run the car in the last 10 minutes" that I'm doing wrong. I will keep an eye on that.
Thanks again

Old 09-07-2018, 06:48 AM
Banned
Received 324 Likes on 235 Posts

to get the immediate (not necessarily accurate) value when the normal reading shows not available you need to
1) lift bonnet / hood
2) select oil level
3) when it shows not available, press cruise control cancel button twice in quick succession to toggle to immediate reading

tyre pressure when stationary will show recommendation in brackets and actual pressure above, when car is moving only actual pressure is displayed, with recommendation being replaced with a dash (-)

pressing cruise cancel twice again will toggle back to normal reading, as will closing bonnet or cycling ignition on / off

Last edited by Paul_59; 09-07-2018 at 06:51 AM.
Old 09-07-2018, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Paul_59
to get the immediate (not necessarily accurate) value when the normal reading shows not available you need to
1) lift bonnet / hood
2) select oil level
3) when it shows not available, press cruise control cancel button twice in quick succession to toggle to immediate reading

tyre pressure when stationary will show recommendation in brackets and actual pressure above, when car is moving only actual pressure is displayed, with recommendation being replaced with a dash (-)

pressing cruise cancel twice again will toggle back to normal reading, as will closing bonnet or cycling ignition on / off
That might be a model year thing, as there is no way for my MY2015 to get to the service menu when the engine in running. So I would not be able to see the tire pressure when the car is moving.

Old 09-07-2018, 01:23 PM
Banned
Received 324 Likes on 235 Posts

on mine it's in the Vehicle information menu

Old 09-07-2018, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Paul_59
on mine it's in the Vehicle information menu
On mine as well, But the section is grayed out when the engine is running

Old 09-07-2018, 04:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 337 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul champagne
On mine as well, But the section is grayed out when the engine is running
+1 on my MY15 as well.

Old 09-07-2018, 04:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,133 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul champagne
That might be a model year thing, as there is no way for my MY2015 to get to the service menu when the engine in running. So I would not be able to see the tire pressure when the car is moving.
Paul:

This is easy and no cause for concern. The ONLY reason you are told to wait for 10 minutes is to allow time for all the oil to return to the sump in order to get an accurate reading. You do NOT need to start the engine, shut it off, and wait 10 minutes, nor go through the open-bonnet procedure.
The simplest thing is the easiest: BEFORE you start the engine in the morning, push the START button but not the brake pedal -and you already know this. Then scan through the menu; you will be able to get a reading of the oil level as well as tire pressures and so on.
your car is operating exactly as it should. You do have the owner's manual, yes?

The following users liked this post:
Paul champagne (09-07-2018)
Old 09-07-2018, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by sov211

Paul:

This is easy and no cause for concern. The ONLY reason you are told to wait for 10 minutes is to allow time for all the oil to return to the sump in order to get an accurate reading. You do NOT need to start the engine, shut it off, and wait 10 minutes, nor go through the open-bonnet procedure.
The simplest thing is the easiest: BEFORE you start the engine in the morning, push the START button but not the brake pedal -and you already know this. Then scan through the menu; you will be able to get a reading of the oil level as well as tire pressures and so on.
your car is operating exactly as it should. You do have the owner's manual, yes?
Hello Gregory,
thanks for the directions. That is what I'm doing and up until this week, I was getting the results you describe. But lately, I am only getting the prescribed tire pressure. The actual tire pressure remains at (0). And to get the oil level, I have to press twice on the cancel button. Even when the car is warm.
I just installed a set of dash cams and I wonder if the Bluetooth of the battery pack or the local WiFi of the cameras is maybe interfering with the RF signal of the TPMS.
Just a thought