F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hood alignment issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 09:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hood alignment issues

Just trying to get some insight. The front part of the hood doesn't line up very well with the fenders. It looks a little high + forward, so much so that it's pretty noticeable. I see some little black things that you can adjust but wonder if anybody has any recommended vids or docs on how to get it lined up properly.

Old 04-20-2018, 09:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

If you could post some pics that would help a lot to diagnose your problem and suggest some things you could try.
I have played around quite a bit with both "the little black things" (adjusters for the hood height when closed) and the front bumper (you can easily move it towards or away from the front of the hood) to get my panel alignment as best I could.

Old 04-21-2018, 12:17 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

JTB00399NAS1

address some panel alignment issues.

The hood, front fenders, and front bumper cover may not be correctly aligned.
This may be caused by panel gaps not being set correctly during manufacturing processes. Should a customer express this concern, follow the Service Instruction outlined below.

Old 04-21-2018, 05:38 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I actually got it sorted. Tried to get pics posted but for some reason on this old laptop they kept coming out corrupt so I gave up on that.

What was wrong:
where the hood met the front bumper: hood was high
where the hood and front left & right bumper met: It looks like the hood stuck out.

Both were really easy to fix. I actually came across what CSXWW posted but the front mid part was hard so instead I used a couple washers underneath the panel where the 5 or 6 bolts are on the front bumper.

The side however was super easy, two bolts on each side and you can just slide the side in or out as needed. Tightened them up and it looks good now.

Both of those had been really bugging me for a while so I'm glad I finally took 10 minutes to get it lined up.

The following users liked this post:
dmchao (04-24-2018)
Old 12-17-2019, 08:55 PM
Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mprinvale
I actually got it sorted. Tried to get pics posted but for some reason on this old laptop they kept coming out corrupt so I gave up on that.

What was wrong:
where the hood met the front bumper: hood was high
where the hood and front left & right bumper met: It looks like the hood stuck out.

Both were really easy to fix. I actually came across what CSXWW posted but the front mid part was hard so instead I used a couple washers underneath the panel where the 5 or 6 bolts are on the front bumper.

The side however was super easy, two bolts on each side and you can just slide the side in or out as needed. Tightened them up and it looks good now.

Both of those had been really bugging me for a while so I'm glad I finally took 10 minutes to get it lined up.
Hey man. I just bought a 2016 F-Type R coupe. Car is super clean, clean car fax one owner 4900 miles. For me being the second owner I can't believe how clean she is. Easily 10 out of 10.
Anyways I'm in love with the car, my first Jag. Now with that said I am having an issue where the bottom of the hood, so down near the front bumper outwards to the side wheel wells the alignment is off. It comes out to much and is not flush. Looking for help here with suggestions on how to correct this. I see you corrected yours and thought you would be a good person to ask. With that said anyone who could offer help I would really appreciate it. Pictures show passenger side but both sides are like this. Rest of the car is perfect. Hope this can be fixed and I'm not just cursed with bad body gaps.
Thank you all.

Old 12-18-2019, 06:41 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,067 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Hood isn’t latched properly. Open the hood, then either standing beside or in front of the car, slam the hood, pushing in the middle near the top (rather than pushing on one side.)

Edit: after seeing your other posts, I don’t think it is the crooked hood latching issue.

Last edited by DJS; 12-18-2019 at 06:43 AM.
Old 12-18-2019, 06:48 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,384 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
... then either standing beside or in front of the car, slam the hood, pushing in the middle near the top (rather than pushing on one side.)
Jaguar says to always close by standing in front of the car, there's a diagram in the manual.

Old 12-18-2019, 06:53 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,067 Likes on 1,372 Posts

There is now. Either way works, and it’s pretty obvious from looking at the sides whether it latched squarely or not.

Old 12-18-2019, 07:52 AM
Received 71 Likes on 44 Posts

The problem with this isn’t really about the alignment. It is geometry. Jaguar made the panel that meets the hood an incorrect size as you can see. Hood alignment can adjust the issue but it is very weird that they didn’t fix the scale in the beginning.

Old 12-18-2019, 08:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
Jaguar says to always close by standing in front of the car, there's a diagram in the manual.
After it's been opened and closed a few hundred times, it will latch properly just by dropping it (from either side ) from a height of 12-15".

The following users liked this post:
Jagged Wire (12-20-2019)
Old 12-18-2019, 03:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

Originally Posted by vika01
The problem with this isn’t really about the alignment. It is geometry. Jaguar made the panel that meets the hood an incorrect size as you can see. Hood alignment can adjust the issue but it is very weird that they didn’t fix the scale in the beginning.
Agreed.
As I said earlier the hood is about 2 mm longer/wider than the bumper at the spot they meet. On some F-Types it's only 1 mm, on others it's around 3 mm and it looks like the OP got one of the 3 mm versions.
My theory is this is/was a deliberate design decision purely to accommodate the little plastic spats that go on the bumper in this spot on cars with the CCM brakes.
Pity that's only 1 or 2 % of all F-Types and the other 98 or 99% look out of whack!