F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I am so freaking needy. Tracking body and option changes over the years?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 02:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts
Default I am so freaking needy. Tracking body and option changes over the years?

I hate change and love transparency.
Building out your own car is sort of a nightmare.... especially when ordering because a bunch of options conflict, etc.
But the lack of transparency on what I think I can get, vs what changes, is dizzying.
Sorry to say, I like reasoning and explanation for things, rather than "that's just the way it is".
Opaque arguments of authority frustrate me, almost as much as a complete lack of information.
I hate just "shrugging". LOL

BUT.... I am not even mad, just confused.

My 2016 model had a bunch of interesting stuff that doesn't seem available on the 2019 models...
So has anyone tracked what body and option changes have happened?

A) Congenial, earnest question: Why do they have all these options as packages, vs just a line item cafeteria plan option of adding singular options, vs all these weird combos, etc? Is there a specific reason?

B) The headlamps look different on newer models. No longer the "tie fighter" of my 2016, but now they're more angular, and look mean. lol
Seems it was 2018, which changed the headlamps, added skirts, changed the "gills", etc?? --> https://www.4wheelsnews.com/auto/201...ial-36541.html
My only concern here is whether there is an option or not, or it's just a change? Has anyone reverted modern lamps back to the tie fighters? (Tie Fighter reference here)
I have/had cornering headlamps on my 2016, and it doesn't look like those are an option anymore, so *WHY*?
It used to be the vision/safety pack, now they've broken that out and it's all random options, but it only seems to have DTR + auto-highbeam assist. No cornering anymore???

C) I am not too dense, but why have the wheel options changed so drastically? The selection of 20" wheels are garbage not great, and now you have to pick a wheel you don't like, just to get to the back end summary page of the configurator to select the 20" cyclone wheels.
But they conflict with the wheels at the start of the configurator. Do we have any idea how many types of wheels they have swapped out over time and why? The 20" options only have one gloss black option, style 5039, and they have weird steel studs on them. Not sure what the point of those are, but if it's basically a functionless bedazzling of the tire, I hate it. LOL

Like... I was legit able to pick them as an option:

D) The heated windshield is likely wonderful for people anywhere but California. And a RWD isn't going to be taken to Tahoe. If I get the Climate packages (1 or 2, 2 being heated/cooled seats SO EXCITED), I assume there's no option to remove the heated windshield? When was that added and why? I feel like Rain Man, because I can't stop seeing them. I dislike it, and would love to remove it altogether, but keep the rest of climate pack #2. If it means forgoing the heated/cooled seats, I assume I will get it and just get used to it.

E) The rear camera went from being an option in the safety package in 2016 to standard in 2019 (or earlier)... I assume that's just NHTSA stuff? No biggie, but it's not listed on my order sheet, and just want to make sure it's a standard now.
Is there an OEM option for a front facing camera? Not that I want it just curious.

F) I assume infotainment has been drastically upgraded and updated for the better?

G) Regarding the gills on the front end... WTH? I like my vertical gills, I don't like the absence of them. Personal preference of course. But the changes are weird....
My 2016 w/ vertical double gills
A 2018 vert with zero gills
A 2018 with horizontal double gills
MY 2019 build out with no gills.

H) What other exterior or interior body changes have happened to these cars during it's lifetime? 2014-present?
Were the skirts 2018 only, then removed?
I know the touchscreen went up to 10", which is nice.

Are there any other changes, options, alterations, or things you've noticed YoY from one model year to the next? And is there any place Jag or someone is keeping a list of them?

Super curious. And I am not holding out on a "why" for every answer, but it would be awesome to understand. Like why change the front end so much??

Old 08-30-2018, 02:59 PM
KVO
Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

The skirts do not look (much) different from the ones I have (MY16 - part of the exterior design package).

The following users liked this post:
Uncle Fishbits (08-31-2018)
Old 08-30-2018, 05:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,113 Likes on 2,296 Posts

The only little bit of help I can give is about the headlights.
They look a lot different on the new model because they changed from HID to LED.
Apparently the lighting itself is better but opinions are divided on the looks.

Old 08-30-2018, 06:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

Auto manufacture's bundle options to make more money, unless you are Porsche where everything is expensive and likely profitable for them.

The following 2 users liked this post by jaguny:
DPelletier (02-28-2019), Uncle Fishbits (08-31-2018)
Old 08-30-2018, 08:42 PM
Received 100 Likes on 78 Posts

Can you just talk to someone about what options are really available rather than fighting with the configurator? I remember some folks saying that they could get some combos of options when speaking with a dealer that they couldn't get online.
And to answer one question, back up cameras became mandatory in 2018, I think?

Old 08-31-2018, 03:06 AM
KVO

A list that would cover changes in between model years would be great though, even better, a list which would include which parts are interchangeable, and which not.
Simple example, the floor mats changed, and are not interchangeable because of size and difference in attachment points - some aftermarket suppliers do not even know that (my own experience).

Last edited by KVO; 08-31-2018 at 03:13 AM.
Old 08-31-2018, 03:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 587 Likes on 360 Posts

A) As jaguny mentions, it is about money. You will usually find an option pack includes 2 of 3 things you want and 1 thing you don't really care about, so you need to buy the missing thing you want separately. That is by design based on extensive market research so you buy 4 options instead of 3 (it is why the heated windscreen is included with the heated seats). That is also why the option packs vary by region, even when they sometimes share the same name.

The other reason is because most cars are sold from dealer lots not custom orders as people are impatient to wait 2-6 months for a new car. Option packs make it easier to sell built cars. "This car has X, Y and Z packs."

B) As Oz says they are the LED headlamps. Much better visibility at night once you get used to the very harsh cut out effect they give, but at the sacrifice of looking like the car is permanently squinting at you.
It is a real shame they didn't retain the spotlight style of the xenon lamps, but it may be technically difficult/impossible to design a suitable lens in that shape. Last year the LED lamps where an option, this year they seem to be mandatory. The adaptive option will have cornering lamps (the lens for them is on the inner top section of the photo you posted).

C) The wheels change all the time to make an obvious visible change to the vehicles. Change sells new cars. You can almost always specify whatever wheel you want on the build sheet.

D) Do you wear polarized glasses when driving and often drive into low sun? In that scenario I see the lines in mine, but at other times I would find it hard to deliberately focus on them. My first car with a heated windscreen was about 15 years ago and the wires were as big as hairs and I would find my eyes focusing on them all the time. In the newer generation (post 2010s) the wires are much finer and the pattern more discrete. Can you borrow a new car for a few days to see how you get on with them?

E) Rear cameras are now mandatory on new vehicles. No OEM-front or panoramic option on the F-Type but you can retrofit aftermarket systems if you find you do need one.

F) The infotainment is different, your dealer will have most variants in stock for you to play with.

G) The changes were made for the same reason as the wheel options - to keep new cars looking like new cars and support dealers who take in used cars at 1 year old to flip into new cars and then CPO the used ones. The vertical side grills on the launch model where a beautiful design feature that carried through to the rear of the car in one sweeping line. IMO the newer styles look like body kits and make the front look fat. It's a shame, and the only way to retain the earlier style is to buy the earlier bumper separately and fit it yourself.

H) The most obvious exterior changes were - front bumper, side skirts, headlamps. Interior - seats. Tech - touch screen, infotainment and telematics, headlamps again (road adjustments), better resolution rear camera.

Not all dealers will help, so you may need to ask around a few, but you should be able to get a copy of the full options list with order codes and compatibility as a PDF or spreadsheet. That is what will be used to actually order your car, not the online configurator, so might be helpful for you to see.

Old 08-31-2018, 03:52 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by OzXFR
The only little bit of help I can give is about the headlights.
They look a lot different on the new model because they changed from HID to LED.
Apparently the lighting itself is better but opinions are divided on the looks.
It seems there are 4 "levels" of illumination that are automatically sorted out depending on conditions.
I don't know if I like the looks, and if the cornering headlamps were deleted, I would consider replacing them with the older version.

Can't imagine how much modding I could do... old dual vertical gill grill, headlamps, etc. Always friendly to confuse FT fants who know their stuff. =/

Old 08-31-2018, 03:54 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jaguny
Auto manufacture's bundle options to make more money, unless you are Porsche where everything is expensive and likely profitable for them.
Also, it's interesting to look at car companies now that look at production from the standpoint of needing to make money, vs companies that worry less about profit on individual units, and act like a bank so they make money off the financing and just look at trying to get more units on the road. I assume that's also a compulsion of someone like Jag who needs incremental profit on single units vs being a bank. <---- totally unsure if this made any sense whatsoever.

Old 08-31-2018, 03:56 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Misujerr
Can you just talk to someone about what options are really available rather than fighting with the configurator? I remember some folks saying that they could get some combos of options when speaking with a dealer that they couldn't get online.
And to answer one question, back up cameras became mandatory in 2018, I think?
Doing precisely this.... but as a DJ & record collector, I've got a compulsion to sort and file everything. In that, I would love to see a list of the year over year alterations, changes, additions, subtractions. You would think that someone at Jag would have that and make it available, or some Jag historian would be cataloguing for posterity, etc.

Old 08-31-2018, 04:05 PM
Veteran Member

The below is AWESOME. Thanks for even taking the time to hit each point. Solid on how the packs work to create more revenue for the company. Great insight.
GREAT to know on the cornering/adaptive lamps. Yay.
Great that the wheels will work out, too.
I do wear polarized, and yes I am always driving into low sun. LOL I assume changing it out isn't a wise option. We'll see if I can delete it. I've driven with them plenty in the time I've had loaners, and it does not just "disappear" for me. We'll see.

If I could find a BRG bumper from a 2016, it would definitely fit the 2019, I assume? That would be fun if they let me take my front bumper off my buyback. LOL

Will do on the options list. hunted and pecked online, but then just emailed the dealer. We'll see. I will post if I find it.

I cannot thank you enough... if this thread starts to die, just wanted it out there how much you guys rock. If it doesn't die, we'll call this the official list of changes on this car.

We just realized the carbon fiber shifter for the manual was added for the 2018MY. =)

Originally Posted by xdave
A) As jaguny mentions....
[a helpful conversation]....Not all dealers will help, so you may need to ask around a few, but you should be able to get a copy of the full options list with order codes and compatibility as a PDF or spreadsheet. That is what will be used to actually order your car, not the online configurator, so might be helpful for you to see.

Old 08-31-2018, 06:05 PM
Veteran Member

Here it is! Updates and all... good doc

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
19MY_F_TYPE_Final.pdf (737.3 KB, 256 views)
The following 6 users liked this post by Uncle Fishbits:
KVO (09-01-2018), malbec (08-31-2018), Mbourne (08-31-2018), Sonoman (09-01-2018), u102768 (09-03-2018), Unhingd (08-31-2018) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-01-2018, 12:14 AM
KVO

Cool, that's one nice and comprehensive document. Thanks for posting!

Old 09-02-2018, 03:28 PM
Received 64 Likes on 53 Posts

Good on ya, Fishbits! FWIW, when I was selecting my FT, I purchased all the brochures then available ('14-'16), to read, learn and choose. If they would help you, I'd be glad to lend them to you for your continued research and conclusions. You ARE thorough, and facing an important set of decisions. We're glad to follow along!

Uncle Fishbits (09-05-2018)
Old 09-05-2018, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member

How kind and nice 16nrbrg! Thanks. And no problem KVO! Cheers to you both.

Old 09-12-2018, 01:33 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by xdave
B) Last year the LED lamps where an option, this year they seem to be mandatory. The adaptive option will have cornering lamps (the lens for them is on the inner top section of the photo you posted).

D) Do you wear polarized glasses when driving and often drive into low sun? In that scenario I see the lines in mine, but at other times I would find it hard to deliberately focus on them. My first car with a heated windscreen was about 15 years ago and the wires were as big as hairs and I would find my eyes focusing on them all the time.
As to B)... my consumer affairs Jag rep who is building my new car for the buy back said that cornering headlamps are no longer an option for the new headlamps or 2019MY.

Not saying one or the other is correct. So much info, there's bound to be errors. But... they have been SO AMENABLE, about all my questions (even swapping out my tires for OEM pirelli LOL), I wonder

As to D) anyone have experience with heated windscreens and how it impacts HD dashcam?

Old 09-26-2018, 04:49 PM
Veteran Member

Interesting how the mind works. I thought I liked the old lights. Now, I see them, and think they look like googly eyes.

I would love to see Sienna Tan with BRG and tan top. Bah! =)

Old 09-27-2018, 07:44 AM
Banned
Received 424 Likes on 291 Posts

[QUOTE=Uncle Fishbits;1967463]Interesting how the mind works. I thought I liked the old lights. Now, I see them, and think they look like googly eyes.

I think the process is referred to as rationalization.

Old 09-27-2018, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=fujicoupe;1967711]
Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
Interesting how the mind works. I thought I liked the old lights. Now, I see them, and think they look like googly eyes.

I think the process is referred to as rationalization.
Selective perception, as well. It's a hell of a drug.

Old 11-06-2018, 01:59 PM
Veteran Member

So the main trade outs from pre2019MY vs my 2016 are:
I get a nicer infotainment and bigger screen. I lose my cornering headlamps. That's about it? And I've got to debadge the nonsense myself, I guess.

Quick Reply: I am so freaking needy. Tracking body and option changes over the years?