F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you had to give up your F type?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 03:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

I just realized tho. I wouldn't get anything like an F-Type. The Honda took me out of me own head, and I do know what I would get.

VW Golf MK1.

Don't react til you watch the vid.

*I LOVE SLEEPERS*

Old 05-26-2017, 04:12 PM
Received 390 Likes on 207 Posts

I guess I'm considered a minority then. I'm very much a function over form type of guy and considered part of the "millenial" generation so the comment about driving one in high school...well..high school wasn't that long ago for me in the grand scheme of things.

If you're comparing a value to performance standpoint the Civic Type R makes a compelling argument. It holds its own compared to cars with 2-3x more power and from companies that specialize in building exotic/hyper cars.

As I've stated, its not the prettiest car but if I were to choose a car to throw around in the canyons or around the track...F-TYPE is not it. If I could have it my way..F-TYPE would be my boulevard cruiser and the Civic Type R would be my daily and weekend track car.

To each his own.

Old 05-26-2017, 04:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 329 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Really?

If I was still in high school...maybe. But even then , the extra 2 doors would be a turn-off.
+1; the idea of trading my F type for a Civic is as alien to me as trading my F type for an Aston Martin Vulcan: neither is very likely! LOL

I don't imagine this kind of cross-shopping is going to be a marketing concern but to each their own.

Cheers,
Dave

Old 05-26-2017, 05:17 PM
Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

Dare I say "Form follows function." A performance car should be a visually attractive and most are. Life is too short for unattractive cars and I am not necessarily referring to the Z car.

Old 05-26-2017, 06:37 PM
Received 218 Likes on 160 Posts

Really?

If I was still in high school...maybe. But even then , the extra 2 doors would be a turn-off.
Ok, I know I'm gonna be in the minority here, but I think that's gorgeous. Looks like a transformer.

I've been thinking about getting rid of my F-Type even though I love it. I can afford it, but more and more I'm finding myself self-conscious about getting in an expensive car when most of my social circle hasn't done as well. It feels like an indulgence that I enjoy, but well... I heard a story a few months ago about how Warren Buffet named his first plane The Indefensible and that has stuck with me.

I don't know. I love the car. Driving it makes me smile and I look back it when I park. Just thinking I might be happier if I simplified my life. If I did something like a Civic Type-R might make sense.

Old 05-26-2017, 06:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

If those in your social circle are your friends they should be happy for you.

The following users liked this post:
Uncle Fishbits (05-27-2017)
Old 05-26-2017, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by jaguny
If those in your social circle are your friends they should be happy for you.
Oh, they are. Still makes me feel like an ***. I'm finding that I have to drive a second car to professional meetings as well. The car gives the impression that I'm flashy and not practical with my spending, which hurts in my side business (real estate).

Old 05-26-2017, 07:05 PM

Neither the Civic Type R nor a transformer is ever going to be in the design collection of the Museum of Modern Art.

Dare I say "To thine own self be true". Ignore your social circle and do what you want to do.

Old 05-26-2017, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Suaro
Neither the Civic Type R nor a transformer is ever going to be in the design collection of the Museum of Modern Art.

Dare I say "To thine own self be true". Ignore your social circle and do what you want to do.
I kind of hope the F-Type isn't ever in MOMA. MOMA is freakin' weird. Last time I was there a wooden staircase with three steps and cheap carpet was on display...

zmoothg (05-26-2017)
Old 05-26-2017, 07:51 PM

Loby, the dichotomy is to appear successfull while not appearing rapacious. Part of it is age. A person in their 30s can easily drive a Jag, but you should probably be in your 40s to show up in a Ferrari. In your 50s the Queen Mary would be ok. The 20s are tough. I would go down scale at that age.

Old 05-26-2017, 08:05 PM
Received 150 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Suaro
Loby, the dichotomy is to appear successfull while not appearing rapacious. Part of it is age. A person in their 30s can easily drive a Jag, but you should probably be in your 40s to show up in a Ferrari. In your 50s the Queen Mary would be ok. The 20s are tough. I would go down scale at that age.
Crap I'm trying to go Ferrari before 40. Fine maybe I'll go Mclaren next, then Ferrari.

Old 05-26-2017, 08:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by LobsterClaws
I can afford it, but more and more I'm finding myself self-conscious about getting in an expensive car when most of my social circle hasn't done as well. It feels like an indulgence that I enjoy, but well... I heard a story a few months ago about how Warren Buffet named his first plane The Indefensible and that has stuck with me.
I've beat the crap out of myself at work for the past half century to afford a car like this. Those in my non-forum social circles drive Honda fits and Toyota Corollas either due to lack of funds or lack of imagination. As jaguny suggested, they are happy for me that I can drive the car I want to. BTW; my wife calls my F-Type indefensible.

Old 05-26-2017, 11:08 PM
Received 100 Likes on 78 Posts

Interesting that LobsterClaws brings that up because I reeeally struggled with similar feelings/situation. Besides most of my friends being poor, I'm an eco kinda guy so it was pretty indefensible for me too, thinking my next car was going to be electric/hybrid. The way I rationalized it was to say, I don't have to keep it forever, and have my order in for a Tesla 3. And it actually gets about the same mileage as my daily driver (C43, another non-eco choice) so it's really not any worse than I've been driving... But mostly because I wouldn't be happy with anything else (under 100K) and decided it was time to do something good for me.

Old 05-27-2017, 04:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

My parents were immigrants, humble, and hardworking. My Dad would say "Wish them well with continued happiness for their success". No need to defend anything as long as you're not a $&; head about it. If you feel bad, let them drive it. Life is short.

The following 2 users liked this post by jaguny:
Misujerr (05-28-2017), Uncle Fishbits (05-27-2017)
Old 05-27-2017, 02:05 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jaguny
My parents were immigrants, humble, and hardworking. My Dad would say "Wish them well with continued happiness for their success". No need to defend anything as long as you're not a $&; head about it. If you feel bad, let them drive it. Life is short.
IMMEDIATELY watch Hasan Minhaj's "Homecoming" stand up special on Netflix.

Immediately.

That's all I'll say.

It's an hour, brilliant, okay that's all I will say.

Old 05-27-2017, 02:28 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by LobsterClaws
Oh, they are. Still makes me feel like an ***. I'm finding that I have to drive a second car to professional meetings as well. The car gives the impression that I'm flashy and not practical with my spending, which hurts in my side business (real estate).
Okay... this is a FANTASTIC conversation.

Professionally, I *absolutely* can not drive this to some meetings. The idea of me, part of a hotel management company, driving to an owner's meeting in this thing, would look absurd. No, the owner of the hotel wouldn't know I saved up "my swear jar" for a decade, and drove a Wrangler for two decades. He might not know I don't have kids, and we're thrifty and don't spend money on much.

But he would immediately think "I am paying these guys way too much".

Interestingly, it's my daily driver, and I've no problem going to construction meetings, our office, etc.

There seems to be a FASCINATING polarization in this country... almost anywhere you go, love of car culture by all types absolutely trumps politics, 1% rich vs poor stuff, etc. In the United States, people *LOVE* cars, and even if they're some "occupy" Bernie bro (not that there's anything wrong with that), it seems this car just tells a story, reminds people of their parent's love of Jags, or "that one time"-type-of-story.

My social circle in basically in the same situation, and everyone just loves the car so much, and there's been a WILD lack of judgement. I really thought the car would be keyed, etc. But our culture gives this implied respect for people's personal objects. All I get is thumbs up and questions at gas stations. I had a certain insecurity in buying a car like this. I never imagined being anything but a Jeep guy. It is true I live in a place where every other car is mad luxury or super, etc. It's weird, but it does lessen the "conspicuousness" of the F-Type, amazing to say.

So all this conversation is super duper relevant. I really appreciate it.

The fact that I hadn't really thought about how this would look, professionally, is a bummer. It's driven by other people's perceptions obviously. My base 16 is just <$100K, and frankly I would be judged less with an M4 or S7, likely. ANYHOOOooooo

This might be meandering because I am watching US come from behind yet again in the America's Cup, v NZ. lol I feel bad.

The following 2 users liked this post by Uncle Fishbits:
Mbourne (05-27-2017), Misujerr (05-28-2017)
Old 05-27-2017, 02:33 PM
Veteran Member

BTW; my wife calls my F-Type indefensible.
So has mine, and so have all my friends, multiple times, in multiple ways. So does every single person I work closely with, construction, architectural, at properties.... I should be clear my only professional concerns are when I drive up to an owner's meeting, who may not understand the history, because of how it appears. It's very few people, so it's not like it interrupts any of my daily driving.

But I can't say it enough.... the overwhelming positive reaction across the board has absolutely shocked me. Totally unexpected in every way. I thought it would be "entitled douche", and it's "I am so happy good things happen to good people". Makes me super happy. And this car makes other people happy. And that makes me happy. So yeah, pretty much everyone is happy.

The following 2 users liked this post by Uncle Fishbits:
LobsterClaws (05-28-2017), Misujerr (05-28-2017)
Old 05-27-2017, 06:02 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Holy F type
Latest gen Viper GTS

I'd lean this way too but I don't know if I can go back to the terrible Dodge dealers and the quality issues of the Viper (had problems with the two I owned).

Old 05-29-2017, 08:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
There seems to be a FASCINATING polarization in this country... almost anywhere you go, love of car culture by all types absolutely trumps politics, 1% rich vs poor stuff, etc.
My love of cars trumps my OWN politics. I joked with my friends about having a Bernie sticker on my car because of the completely messed up visual. I recognize that, but I still had to have the car.

Old 05-29-2017, 05:33 PM

Autogefuhl just posted a video review of the Civic R. My opinion is that Autogefuhl is the best of the video reviews.

On the semi-original point. I don't have any concern about the image projected by an F Type for anyone. A Lamborghini on the other hand makes me question the owners source of funds.