F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Infotainment on a 2014 F-Type better than a brand new Audi Q3

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2018, 07:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Infotainment on a 2014 F-Type better than a brand new Audi Q3

I have a 2014 F-Type. I love it, but I was annoyed about a few things about the infotainment, which have basically been fixed in the 2019 version. Still, I just wanted to say that as much as certain things bugged me (Like lack of CarPlay ), I recently "experienced" the brand new system in an Audi Q3. All I can say is that the 2018 Q3 makes a 2014 F-Type infotainment system look good.... no... great!

Everything was done by a central dial and 4 buttons around the dial (It took me a while to realise they were buttons and not part of the facia). If you wanted to select an address, you couldn't use a touchscreen, it was select the letters off a round dial. Ugh!

Still it was polite, it kept saying please (But I was in the UK).

I work in tech, and if I can't easily work out how to use a system it must be bad!

So, when you think your Jaguar infotainment system doesn't do what you want.... think yourself lucky you aren't driving a vehicle from VAG.

Siobhan
Siobhan

The following users liked this post:
schuss (06-29-2021)
Old 11-04-2018, 02:06 AM
Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts

Not to start a disagreement on an Internet forum, and while my F-type is the best thing I ever bought, I come from an Audi and preferred its infotainment system. The Audi buttons and central dial do not look sleek but they work better when you drive. I was amazed when I started to drive the Jag how difficult it was to find the right area to press on the screen, and the multiple steps involved, while keeping an eye on the road! Finding a song or a contact to call on the Jag while driving is really dangerous! Also, simple things like asking someone to confirm that the address you entered is indeed the one you want before starting directions, or worse, asking if you really want to cancel NAV guidance... really??? I am driving, make it fast and simple!!!

Matter of taste I guess... Still, the best car I ever drove. I am actually out of the US for two weeks, and I miss it!

Old 11-04-2018, 05:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by Brock
.. I am driving, make it fast and simple!!! ..
With the newer models you can chart your route from your desktop/tablet/phone. I do this all the time. Just type in your destination, it works out a route. If you like to follow a slightly different route,
find an adress in google on that stretch and copy paste it as an extra stop. You can easily change the sequence of the stops. And if you drive the satnav only says 'you reached a stop'.

I upload them to the car. Make 3 or 4 routes for the whole day. No fiddeling with the satnav while driving at all...

Old 11-04-2018, 05:10 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,384 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Finding a song or a contact to call on the Jag while driving is really dangerous!
I can understand why you'd be bored and looking for distractions if you're in an Audi (or any soulless German car), but in a Jag? C'mon!

schuss (06-29-2021)
Old 11-04-2018, 05:19 AM
Veteran Member

During the holidays with the family we tend to chat a lot. I noticed when it got really bizzy with traffic, or a very complex situation as around Paris or Madrid, I could not concentrate on driving
if someone was talking to me. So I always asked everybody not to talk until we were out of the 'dire straits' . Also if I'm driving and I get a call [ I don't call myself ], I am distracted, what I notice
by the fact I start to slow down or do not check the traffic around me as much [ be ware, the Netherlands is very crowded and has dense traffic ].

So my advice is, even if its not 'really dangerous' , don't do it. So not only not text or app, but also don't call. Unless your car is on fire, you are having a heart attack or rushing someone to
hospital, I can't really imagine a call can't wait untill you are either in a traffic jam, waiting at a traffic light, or having a coffee outside your car...

scm (11-04-2018)
Old 11-04-2018, 05:35 AM
Received 294 Likes on 164 Posts

Finding a song or a contact to call on the Jag while driving is really dangerous!
I use Siri to select music or call or text someone. Completely hands free.

Old 11-04-2018, 09:53 AM
Received 134 Likes on 94 Posts

you can upgrade to a 10” with one of these Chinese android based retros

Ron Gillespie (11-04-2018)
Old 11-04-2018, 10:15 AM
Received 149 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by domino_z

https://youtu.be/FvZO_jobh4Q
If it actually works as shown, that would be pretty nice.

Old 11-04-2018, 10:23 AM
Received 236 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by domino_z
Anyone tried ^^^ this? Aside from quality concerns, the functionality seems way ahead of what I have in my 2015....

Old 11-04-2018, 10:28 AM
Received 149 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Chawumba
Anyone tried ^^^ this? Aside from quality concerns, the functionality seems way ahead of what I have in my 2015....
If it does work as shown, it would be ahead of the 2019
I like the fact that you are not loosing any of the factory side of things and it appears to be plug and play, which means you can go back to stock any time you want.

Old 11-04-2018, 10:35 AM

Not to start a disagreement on an Internet forum, and while my F-type is the best thing I ever bought, I come from an Audi and preferred its infotainment system. The Audi buttons and central dial do not look sleek but they work better when you drive. I was amazed when I started to drive the Jag how difficult it was to find the right area to press on the screen, and the multiple steps involved, while keeping an eye on the road! Finding a song or a contact to call on the Jag while driving is really dangerous! Also, simple things like asking someone to confirm that the address you entered is indeed the one you want before starting directions, or worse, asking if you really want to cancel NAV guidance... really??? I am driving, make it fast and simple!!!

Matter of taste I guess... Still, the best car I ever drove. I am actually out of the US for two weeks, and I miss it!
it’s all a matter of opinion, so no argument.

i don’t really touch the infotainment when i’m Driving so not much of an issue for me.... but I do agree about the odd time I do.

still with the Audi, I had to lean over and look at the fascia and the top of the dash.... even more distracting.

siobhan

Old 11-04-2018, 10:36 AM

I wonder if it is in English

Old 11-04-2018, 11:32 AM
Received 294 Likes on 164 Posts
Old 11-04-2018, 01:00 PM
Veteran Member

- its ahead of MY2019 , it also comes with WiFi...
- its in english, but not in dutch...

This one is $ 820 from China, but I advice to check with them first if it suits the F-Type...

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/MERR...2-810ede1a11ee

Last edited by Dan_NL; 11-04-2018 at 01:05 PM.
Old 11-04-2018, 06:10 PM
Banned
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Im going to assume you lose dynamic mode, settings, ambient light settings, etc

Old 11-04-2018, 06:57 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by John Jones
Im going to assume you lose dynamic mode, settings, ambient light settings, etc
I have no idea... ... someone is going to try. Not me : I have too many years of guarantee in front of me..

Old 11-07-2018, 10:18 AM
Received 177 Likes on 97 Posts

I've used Audi's MMI for years and while it can take a bit of practice to learn the controls at first, it's very intuitive and fast once you get used to it. With the Virtual Cockpit option I believe it to be one of the best in the market.

The control layout on the JLR infotainment (mine is a 2016) is decent, but the lag is borderline unbearable. However, I was pleasantly surprised that it can display 2-byte text (i.e. foreign characters) in the media info. VW inexplicably still don't do this in the most recent infotainment systems.

Old 11-10-2018, 06:41 AM
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I came off a 2012 A7 to a 2015 F-Type, and I would say the 2012 was much better.. But, but, the exhaust on the Jag makes up for all that (& more!)

Old 11-10-2018, 10:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 337 Likes on 212 Posts

Our everyday car is a 2018 VW Arteon with the latest infotainment system from VW/VAG, and with the "top of the line" Dynaudio soundsystem.

It is way better and with much more functions than the system in my 2015 F-type, except the sound quality which I would say is better in my F-type (the 770W - and after the software upgrade).

However I am absolutely satiesfied with the (slow responding) infotainment system in the F-type. The satnav works well, and connecting the phone via Bluetooth using the basic functions works flawless with good sound quality. For this kind of car, I have never felt it misses anything that I am in need of.

Frankly - if I could put the VW system in the F-type, I would not have done it. It would be "too much" for this kind of car.

So I am very happy with the system as it is, but I do understand (from reactions here and in other forums) that most others have different opinions.

Might be that I have become so "attached" to the car, that I can't realy find any flaws with it?

For me, it's definatly a keeper, and I won't change anything (except oil, tires and sparkplugs from time to time)

edit: and I can set the system in the F-type to Norwegian language Never ever had a car were that was possible....

Last edited by Arne; 11-10-2018 at 10:38 AM.
scm (11-10-2018)
Old 11-10-2018, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Arne
Our everyday car is a 2018 VW Arteon with the latest infotainment system from VW/VAG, and with the "top of the line" Dynaudio soundsystem.

It is way better and with much more functions than the system in my 2015 F-type, except the sound quality which I would say is better in my F-type (the 770W - and after the software upgrade).

However I am absolutely satiesfied with the (slow responding) infotainment system in the F-type. The satnav works well, and connecting the phone via Bluetooth using the basic functions works flawless with good sound quality. For this kind of car, I have never felt it misses anything that I am in need of.

Frankly - if I could put the VW system in the F-type, I would not have done it. It would be "too much" for this kind of car.

So I am very happy with the system as it is, but I do understand (from reactions here and in other forums) that most others have different opinions.

Might be that I have become so "attached" to the car, that I can't realy find any flaws with it?

For me, it's definatly a keeper, and I won't change anything (except oil, tires and sparkplugs from time to time)

edit: and I can set the system in the F-type to Norwegian language Never ever had a car were that was possible....
A sensible perspective on the infotainment system. The primary enjoyment of this car should come from driving it, not from anything else.

scm (11-10-2018)